Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diosamblet
Oct 9, 2004

Me and my shadow
Yeah, I saw Skithiryx, then read the Poison Counters rule and decided not to put him in... This is going to be for a casual friendly group, so I don't want to make people hate on me. The Utvara Hellkite is definitely going in for situations where I want someone to spend their removal/wipe the table, or face the consequences. Red goo consuming the table is hilarious - instantly killing someone, not so much.

Those graveyard upheavals are also nice, particularly Patriarch's Bidding. I had been thinking Midnight Recovery was fairly efficient, but that one is just silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Diosamblet posted:

Yeah, I saw Skithiryx, then read the Poison Counters rule and decided not to put him in... This is going to be for a casual friendly group, so I don't want to make people hate on me. The Utvara Hellkite is definitely going in for situations where I want someone to spend their removal/wipe the table, or face the consequences. Red goo consuming the table is hilarious - instantly killing someone, not so much.

Those graveyard upheavals are also nice, particularly Patriarch's Bidding. I had been thinking Midnight Recovery was fairly efficient, but that one is just silly.

I don't know what your budget looks like, but the other suggestions I have for you are basically amount to "put about $1000 into the manabase." A set of the original duals, full set of shocklands, buddy lands, the tri-lands, and the few odd utility and basics to cover the gaps. The problem here is that it costs so much. The shock/buddy lands should be fairly easy to trade for since they've been printed pretty recently, but the original duals are going to run you a lot of dollars but will greatly increase your ability to play the deck.

Also cyclonic rift is good. You should play one of those.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Deck: WB Humans

//Lands
4 Godless Shrine
5 Plains
9 Swamp
4 Temple of Silence
2 Mutavault

//Spells
2 Doom Blade
4 Gift of Immortality
2 Hero's Downfall
2 Devour Flesh
2 Ultimate Price
3 Whip of Erebos

//Creatures
3 Cartel Aristocrat
2 Corpse Hauler
3 Disciple of Phenax
3 High Priest of Penance
3 Sin Collector
4 Xathrid Necromancer
3 Soldier of the Pantheon

Display deck statistics

I really wanted to build a deck that used Cartel Aristocrats since I wasn't playing much Standard when Aristocrats were a Thing, which quickly morphed into really wanting to play Xathrid Necromancer with Cartel as an enabler. And then I said gently caress it, let's make a Human deck with ETB effects, Xathrid, and Whip. And I guess Cartel Aristocrat has a place there too. And Gift of Immortality, because it is kinda hilarious and has synergy with each of ETB, Xathrid, and Cartel.

So given that I want to play those core cards, what would you tweak about the rest of my selection? I'm not looking make something tier 1 competitive, just a deck with some fun synergies I can take to FNM.

Something I noticed when putting this list together: Precinct Captain doesn't make Human tokens. Heliod doesn't make Human tokens. Elspeth doesn't make Human tokens. In fact there is not a single Human token creator in Standard.

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>

Mr. Peepers posted:

//Lands
4 Godless Shrine
5 Plains
9 Swamp
4 Temple of Silence
2 Mutavault

//Spells
2 Doom Blade
4 Gift of Immortality
2 Hero's Downfall
2 Devour Flesh
2 Ultimate Price
3 Whip of Erebos

//Creatures
3 Cartel Aristocrat
2 Corpse Hauler
3 Disciple of Phenax
3 High Priest of Penance
3 Sin Collector
4 Xathrid Necromancer
3 Soldier of the Pantheon

Display deck statistics

I really wanted to build a deck that used Cartel Aristocrats since I wasn't playing much Standard when Aristocrats were a Thing, which quickly morphed into really wanting to play Xathrid Necromancer with Cartel as an enabler. And then I said gently caress it, let's make a Human deck with ETB effects, Xathrid, and Whip. And I guess Cartel Aristocrat has a place there too. And Gift of Immortality, because it is kinda hilarious and has synergy with each of ETB, Xathrid, and Cartel.

So given that I want to play those core cards, what would you tweak about the rest of my selection? I'm not looking make something tier 1 competitive, just a deck with some fun synergies I can take to FNM.

Something I noticed when putting this list together: Precinct Captain doesn't make Human tokens. Heliod doesn't make Human tokens. Elspeth doesn't make Human tokens. In fact there is not a single Human token creator in Standard.

I know it's a zombie, but I can see Gary the Merchant being hilarious in this deck, particularly with Gift of Imoratility and/or whip on the board

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I still find it relatively amusing that Wizards printed Xathrid Necromancer right before the Innistrad block was to leave Standard play.

A shame, really. :shrug:

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Count Bleck posted:

I still find it relatively amusing that Wizards printed Xathrid Necromancer right before the Innistrad block was to leave Standard play.

A shame, really. :shrug:

They do this as a farewell to the rotating block by giving some fun pieces for super standard. Human tribal/mattering was a thing in Innistrad, but isn't really found elsewhere.

That being said, Xathrid Necromancer does a ton of work in that Rakdos Aggro deck where most of your dudes are Humans. Albeit psychopathic murderers, but still humans.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Gravy Train Robber posted:

They do this as a farewell to the rotating block by giving some fun pieces for super standard. Human tribal/mattering was a thing in Innistrad, but isn't really found elsewhere.

That being said, Xathrid Necromancer does a ton of work in that Rakdos Aggro deck where most of your dudes are Humans. Albeit psychopathic murderers, but still humans.

I'm aware, I'm running that deck sans sideboard on Modo and I enjoy it.

Until I run out of cards from my opening hand.

Heavily considering putting Whip in the Mainboard in place of the Doom Blades just because there's so many decks running black creatures.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

Count Bleck posted:

Heavily considering putting Whip in the Mainboard in place of the Doom Blades just because there's so many decks running black creatures.

You can always put Dark Betrayal in your sideboard.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
Anyone read Zemanjaski's article about Boros aggro on channel fireball?

I built it, and I like it so far, but I feel like Boros charm should be in the main. Otherwise, there just aren't many ways to remove a creature with more than three toughness. Chained to the rocks is definitely nice to have, but it being at sorcery speed really hurts its versatility. It also does nothing against hexproof, not that that's a very big concern in standard right now. I just really hate witch stalker and caryatid.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Brillo_Pad posted:

I built it, and I like it so far, but I feel like Boros charm should be in the main. Otherwise, there just aren't many ways to remove a creature with more than three toughness.
Do you mean to say "Mizzium Mortars" or "I can't read cards"?

kittenentrails
Feb 10, 2010
This is a deck I want to run at FNM. Not sure how good it is feedback would be greatly appreciated. {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252
{\fonttbl\f0\fnil\fcharset0 Verdana;}
{\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red0\green0\blue0;\red255\green255\blue255;}
\deftab720
\pard\pardeftab720\sl280\qc\partightenfactor0

\f0\fs24 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0
\outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 [deck="Orzhov Control"]\
//Lands\
4 Godless Shrine\
4 Orzhov Guildgate\
7 Plains\
7 Swamp\
4 Temple of Silence\
\
//Spells\
4 Celestial Flare\
4 Doom Blade\
4 Gift of Immortality\
4 Hero's Downfall\
4 Thoughtseize\
\
//Creatures\
4 Banisher Priest\
4 Desecration Demon\
4 High Priest of Penance\
2 Obzedat, Ghost Council\
[/deck]}
Sorry about the link thing. I need more practice posting from my phone.

kittenentrails fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 14, 2013

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Tharizdun posted:

Do you mean to say "Mizzium Mortars" or "I can't read cards"?

Heh yeah forgot about mortars. Just wanted an excuse to main deck the charm I guess. Maybe if the 4 damage mode could hit a creature. Oh well.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000
Did some revisions after some test games. Tuned it a little tighter against white weenie/other aggro decks.

Thoughts/ideas?

Deck: Red Deck (mtgo)

//Lands
20 Mountain

//Spells
3 Shock
4 Lightning Strike
3 Madcap Skills

//Creatures

3 Legion Loyalist
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Firefist Striker
4 Rakdos Shred-Freak
4 Chandra's Phoenix
3 Fanatic of Mogis

//Sideboard
4 Skullcrack
3 Chandra's Outrage
2 Magma Jet
4 Act of Treason
2 Hammer of Purphoros

Display deck statistics

I've reconsidered Boros Reckoners and may actually buy them to fill it out a bit. But is there any other direction I could/should go? Any experience would be welcomed.

In case someone was wondering I'm running the Shred Freaks to dodge black removal which seems fairly ubiquitous.

FriggenJ fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 14, 2013

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Are there enough worth while cards to make a UB Dimir Aggro Unblockable deck using Vela as commander and using things like Ninjas, bounce cards, and unblockables?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

FriggenJ posted:

Did some revisions after some test games. Tuned it a little tighter against white weenie/other aggro decks.

Thoughts/ideas?

I've reconsidered Boros Reckoners and may actually buy them to fill it out a bit. But is there any other direction I could/should go? Any experience would be welcomed.

In case someone was wondering I'm running the Shred Freaks to dodge black removal which seems fairly ubiquitous.

You want Mizzium Mortars over Outrage in the sideboard - you want to kill Loxodon Smiters or Blood Barons ASAP and keep swinging, not stall out waiting for your fourth land. It's also the only sideboard card I'd run 4 of - I'm personally a fan of running 3x of most answers in order to fit a wider range of them in.

Your sideboard also seems a bit unfocused, and I'm not sure when I'd bring in some of those cards. Here's what I'd run:

3x Skullcrack - it's narrow, and you don't really need more than one even when it's relevant.
4x Mizzium Mortars - I guess you could go 4x Outrage instead, but you really want to be killing Blood Barons and Smiters ASAP, not waiting to draw your fourth land. If you're going to stick with Outrage for budget reasons, I'd up the land count a bit.
3x Frostburn Weird - go-to card against aggro, and gives you something to side out the Satyrs for without dropping your creature count too much.
3x Act of Treason
2x Hammer

If you are sticking with Outrage for budget reasons, I'd probably only have 3 of them and take a 4th Weird or Act of Treason.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

There is a sweet BW Humans aggro deck out there too that will probably see a bigger uptick in play when the next set gets released, assuming white gets some more efficient human beaters and devotion enablers.

I was wondering earlier how would Aristocrats had looked like last standard if we had Nykthos in M14. Imagine playing out your entire hand of drainers, sac outlets, lingering souls, etc. on turn 3-4. Would have been sweet.

Mr. Peepers posted:

Haha I just saw a guy streaming with almost exact list, but I like yours a bit better. Let us all know how it works out. Heliod does make sac outlets for Cartel though.

Korak fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Nov 14, 2013

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

Korak posted:

There is a sweet BW Humans aggro deck out there too that will probably see a bigger uptick in play when the next set gets released, assuming white gets some more efficient human beaters and devotion enablers.

I was wondering earlier how would Aristocrats had looked like last standard if we had Nykthos in M14. Imagine playing out your entire hand of drainers, sac outlets, lingering souls, etc. on turn 3-4. Would have been sweet.
Haha I just saw a guy streaming with almost exact list, but I like yours a bit better. Let us all know how it works out. Heliod does make sac outlets for Cartel though.

Thats great, B/W is my favourite colour combo so I'm always on the lookout for competitive decks in those colours. I run W/B Midrange at the moment, and might post my list later on. At the FNM level its only lost a single game so far (with one draw), and I'm just loving the hell out of it. I built Rakdos aggro as an alternate deck for when I get tired of grindy games though and just feel like smashing faces.

I think it's a really safe bet we'll see more humans released, especially in white in the next set. Theros on the whole is fairly human-centric, despite it not mechanically mattering except for stuff like Xathrid Necromancer.

Personally I'd like to see some more competitively costed Bestow cards in White or Black. Its one of my favourite archetypes in Theros draft and I'd like to play them in constructed.

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Jabor posted:

You want Mizzium Mortars over Outrage in the sideboard - you want to kill Loxodon Smiters or Blood Barons ASAP and keep swinging, not stall out waiting for your fourth land. It's also the only sideboard card I'd run 4 of - I'm personally a fan of running 3x of most answers in order to fit a wider range of them in.

Your sideboard also seems a bit unfocused, and I'm not sure when I'd bring in some of those cards. Here's what I'd run:

3x Skullcrack - it's narrow, and you don't really need more than one even when it's relevant.
4x Mizzium Mortars - I guess you could go 4x Outrage instead, but you really want to be killing Blood Barons and Smiters ASAP, not waiting to draw your fourth land. If you're going to stick with Outrage for budget reasons, I'd up the land count a bit.
3x Frostburn Weird - go-to card against aggro, and gives you something to side out the Satyrs for without dropping your creature count too much.
3x Act of Treason
2x Hammer

If you are sticking with Outrage for budget reasons, I'd probably only have 3 of them and take a 4th Weird or Act of Treason.

I am kinda holding off on Mortars because of cost reasons. Skullcrack also manages to nullify protection-from blockers which I like. What do you think of the maindeck? I can adjust a lot here, I would love a fighting chance against g/w and ww.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
This is the B/W Midrange I'm currently running, and its got a pretty great win record so far. Its tuned to the local metagame, which is very control heavy, but I've also quite handily beaten Red Devotion and GW Aggro lists with it. So far its had one loss to GW Aggro, but that was almost wholly my fault for continually forgetting triggers, including missing something like 12 life off Soldier of the Pantheon triggers.

(I'm a terrible player)

It had one draw against an Esper Control list, but in general I think I'm favoured in the matchup so far.

At GP Hong Kong, it was a bit rougher around the edges and I hadn't had any experience playing it, and had some difficulty. It still managed to handily take down Esper and UW control lists, and lost to Mono-Blue Devotion, and GR Monsters.

Deck: B/W Midrange

//Lands
4 Godless Shrine
4 Temple of Silence
4 Orzhov Guildgate
1 Mutavault
6 Swamp
6 Plains

//Spells
4 Thoughtseize
3 Read the Bones
4 Hero's Downfall
3 Ultimate Price
2 Whip of Erebos
1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion

//Creatures
4 Desecration Demon
4 Obzedat, Ghost Council
4 Precinct Captain
2 Sin Collector
4 Soldier of the Pantheon

//Sideboard
1 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
1 Renounce the Guilds
3 Glare of Heresy
3 Underworld Connections
2 Dark Betrayal
1 Duress
3 Devour Flesh
1 Pithing Needle

Display deck statistics

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I have work now so I'm kind of out of time, but I'll post my list after FNM tonight. I also don't run Reckoners main (I would fit them in the side if I had the money), so it might be helpful to see what a semi-budget list looks like.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

FriggenJ posted:

I am kinda holding off on Mortars because of cost reasons. Skullcrack also manages to nullify protection-from blockers which I like. What do you think of the maindeck? I can adjust a lot here, I would love a fighting chance against g/w and ww.

Isn't Mortars less than four bucks each? If you want to play a budget deck I cannot recommend Rakdos Aggro enough. Plus people get furious when you beat them. And the 4 blood crypts are the most expensive part of the deck. (thought seizes in the side can become all duress if you want)

Lately Mono-Red has been too consistent, so I've started playing Rakdos Aggro:

22 LANDS
10 Swamp
8 Mountain
4 Blood Crypt

28 CREATURES
4 Rakdos Cackler
4 Tormented Hero
4 Rakdos Shred-Freak
4 Mogis's Marauder
4 Exava, Rakdos Blood Witch
4 Xathrid Necromancer
4 Spike Jester

6 INSTANTS and SORCERIES
3 Lightning Strike
3 Doom Blade

4 OTHER SPELLS
4 Madcap Skills

SIDEBOARD
3 Thoughtseize
2 Pithing Needle
2 heroes downfall
1 Dreadbore
4 Mizzium Mortars
1 Duress
1 Lightning Strike
1 Doom Blade
(Considering finding a place for skull crack in here)

Game Plan: Swing for 5 damage on T2. T1 Cackler/Tormented hero, into T2 Madcap Skills/Spike Jester/Rakdos Shredfreak is incredibly valid. It immediately puts the opponent on the back foot, and you force them to react really quickly, or just die.

Match-ups against popular archetypes:

Mono-U devotion: I haven't lost to Mono U with this deck yet. You have doom blade for master of waves, and lightning strike for Nightveil spectre, you should be able to out-aggro them Game 1.
I usually side in a mixture of mortars, downfall, and dreadbore, as well as the additional lightning strike and doom blade.

Mono-R: It's iffy, I think RDW has a slight lead over rakdos, maybe 60/40. It's not unwinnable, but it will require careful play and some luck. Because your game plan dies to shock. Winning the Die roll is key.

R/G Dinosaurs: This matchup is closer to 50/50. If they go T2 burning tree into burning tree into polukranos, you might as well just scoop. Sylvan Caryatid is unpleasant as well.
Sideboard: Sideboard in more removal. You can't go bigger than R/G so try to go under them.

Mono-B Control: You destroy this deck. They barely have plays before T3, and you blank most of the removal they have. You're way too quick.
Sideboard: Side out Mogis Maurader and Doomblade, Side in Heroes downfall, Dreadbore, Lightning strike, and thoughtseize.
I was playing against Mono-B control last week and as we went into Game 3, I thoughtseized my opponent, and saw a doom blade in hand. After the match, I asked him why he kept doom blade in the main, so I asked him why he kept it in against me. "Well I figured I could hit the Ash zealots that I assume you have in your deck, since they're a great aggro creature in your colours, and they play well with xathrid necromancers"
me: "Yeah but if I had Ash zealots, then you'd have a target for your doom blades."

Esper Control/Azorius Control/Superfriends/American Control/B/W Midrange: This is where most aggro decks flounder, and where you have a secret edge in games 2 and 3. Game 1 you can usually finish the game before they can Verdict/Jace/drop more than one detention sphere, also Xathrid Necromancer doesn't care about supreme verdict. Games 2 and 3 you have something that other aggro decks don't have: Thoughtseize and Duress.
Sideboard: I usually take out doom blades, three Exava's, and a mountain and side in a combination of Thoughtseize, Pithing Needle, Duress, and Mizzium Mortars (for the Blood Barons)

Mono-W or White Weenie: You can sometimes outspeed them, but Imposing sovereign and Banisher Priest will give you headaches, and Fiendslayer Paladin stops your entire deck.

Selesnya Aggro: Keep your burn and removal for whatever they put unflinching courage on.

Secret MVP of the deck: Mogis Marauder, he just wins games out of stalled board states. He's often just an unblock able swing for 7, or 9, or 11. Honourable mention goes to Xathrid Necromancer. If you Thoughtseize an opponent and see a Supreme Verdict AND a Jace, but you have a Necromancer in hand, toss the jace and let thsoezombie tokens ride.

So if you're looking for a good budget deck, I cannot give this deck enough kudos.

Mezzanon fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Nov 15, 2013

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Mezzanon posted:

Isn't Mortars less than four bucks each?

That's still $15 or so for a playset, which is nontrivial. At that price I think Ash Zealot would be a better improvement, though it is less likely to be reusable in other decks you build.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Jabor posted:

I have work now so I'm kind of out of time, but I'll post my list after FNM tonight. I also don't run Reckoners main (I would fit them in the side if I had the money), so it might be helpful to see what a semi-budget list looks like.

Went 4-0, so I guess I'll follow through on this:

quote:

Land - 20
19 Mountain
1 Mutavault

Creatures - 24
4 Firedrinker Satyr
4 Rakdos Cackler

4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Firefist Striker
4 Ash Zealot

4 Chandra's Phoenix

Burn - 10
3 Shock
3 Magma Jet
4 Lightning Strike

Other - 6
4 Dynacharge
2 Hammer of Purphoros

Sideboard - 15
3 Act of Treason
3 Burning Earth
2 Skullcrack
2 Electrickery
2 Mizzium Mortars
2 Goblin Shortcutter
1 Chandra, Pyromaster

Things to note are how ridiculously low that curve is. I'm still changing things up a bit - I think I'll go -1 Dynacharge +1 Shock for next time, and -1 Magma Jet +1 Mutavault once I get a second one. A bunch of sideboard changes are planned as well, but I'll mention those later.

Game reports off the top of my head:

Game 1 - Boros Combo
Interesting deck based on Purphoros/Assemble the Legion/Young Pyromancer and a bunch of removal. Game one he burns my early drops, but I shock his Pyromancer in exchange and he doesn't find more combo pieces before it's too late. Game 2 he manages to get the combo up, but I swing past it and manage to burn him out. Both games were very close, and we played a few more for fun/practice afterwards and he beat me pretty soundly.
2-0

Game 2 - UW Control
Game 1 I curve out Firedrinker Satyr into Ash Zealot, and just keep pumping the Satyr until he Verdicts. Then I drop the rest of my hand and he doesn't have enough removal. Game 2 I keep a hand without a one drop, and he counters or otherwise removes every single one of my plays before beating me down with double Tidebinder Mage. Game 3 he doesn't find as many answers and I'm able to burn him out.
2-1

Game 3 - Bg Devotion
Lose the roll, shock his turn 2 Pack Rat and then draw more threats than he has removal for. By the time he drops Desecration Demon I can just feed creatures to it and swing past for the win. Game 2 I get stuck on two lands with a couple of Phoenixs and a Hammer in hand, but I draw enough 1- and 2-drops to keep the pressure up while he draws lands, and even a Grey Merchant (which I 2-for-1 myself to kill) and Pack Rat aren't enough to save him once I get the third mana.
2-0

Game 4 - B Devotion
I curve out Rakdos Cackler into Ash Zealot three games in a row, even though it probably wasn't the optimal play in the third game. Game 1 I drop a few early threts, then drop a Hammer and just out-draw him. Game 2 I get him down to 2, but he Devour Flesh's his own Desecration Demon to get his life total up enough to put the game away. Game 3 I get the nut draw and go Cackler -> Zealot -> BTE + Firedrinker Satyr -> Dynacharge and then burn him out.
2-1

Sideboard talk, I never drew the Goblin Shortcutters despite siding them in the first match, so I can't really speak honestly as to their effectiveness. I'm pretty sure they want to be Boros Reckoners instead though. Burning Earth is a house against Esper (which I didn't face today), but honestly I think I like my chances better with a third Skullcrack and second Chandra instead (which frees up another slot to get a third Mizzium Mortars, which also helps deal with Esper and anything else with Blood Barons).

Man_alive
May 6, 2007

<Insert Witty Phrase Here>
Played FNM last night. Was supposed to be team sealed, but the cards didn't arrive for it, so they changed to team Standard. I played MURDERGOATS alongside a straight burn deck.
Having a bye in the first round allowed us a bit of time to tune the decks to what was going around.
First round, we played a double control matchup - BUW & BU. We got very close, but in the end, weren't able to get anything to stick around long enough to be a problem. We had them down at 4 Life before they started gaining insane amounts of life off a couple of Gary drops. My partner having to mulligan to 5, being Thoughtsiezed T1, and not seeing a 4th land didn't help either.
Second game, we played a RDW and GW deck. GW never hit his 6th land, and didn't see Fleecemane Lion either. MURDGEROATS ended up playing like a burn deck somehow - I never saw a swamp, keyrune or guildgate for the entire game and despite only seeing a max of 5 lands, we won pretty comfortably.
Third game, we played against a BW and RU Izzet matchup. This took us a while to get over as they kept sweeping everything off our side of the table. We managed to kill a Blood Baron of Vizkopa when the guy playing it unthinkingly swung with it into the Phoenix my partner had on the table. After damage was assigned, he shocked it and that was it. With Purphorus on the table and Izzet tapped out, I double-posted two goats into play, bumping them to 2 life and finished with class with a shock to the dome.

Overall, we finished second behind the team we played in the first game. Good night overall.

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007
I'm trying to get my girlfriend into EDH. She has the Prossh deck and I was wondering if anybody had any budget decklists for ways to make it more effective. I've got a few shocks/checks I can loan her, but other than that we don't want to spend toooo much money on it until she gets better, I just really want her to be able to play against my pimped out Damia deck, but using just the Precon would completely annihilate her.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
I'm kind of interested in building an EDH deck around Grimgrin, who has languished in my binder since RTR came out and I switched from U/B to G/B Zombies. Not really sure how to construct it, or whether its worth trying to use him as a voltron commander going straight for faces and backed up with a bunch of zombie token makers to keep him untapped or go more in a "black sacrifice triggers" type deck. Thought about trying to work in silly ISD cards I love but never played like Undead Alchemist as well.

Can anyone suggest a good starting point for him? I have a feeling if I want to go in a sacrifice direction I might be better off in W/B with Teysa, but I also don't think he brings as much to the table going for Commander damage.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Are there cards in Modern that can add a counter to lands besides proliferate and Vorel?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

I'm kind of interested in building an EDH deck around Grimgrin, who has languished in my binder since RTR came out and I switched from U/B to G/B Zombies. Not really sure how to construct it, or whether its worth trying to use him as a voltron commander going straight for faces and backed up with a bunch of zombie token makers to keep him untapped or go more in a "black sacrifice triggers" type deck. Thought about trying to work in silly ISD cards I love but never played like Undead Alchemist as well.

Can anyone suggest a good starting point for him? I have a feeling if I want to go in a sacrifice direction I might be better off in W/B with Teysa, but I also don't think he brings as much to the table going for Commander damage.

I actually just finished one, I'll post the deck list when I get it into deckstats, it's a lot of saccing, returning, damage when creatures leave and swinging with grimgrin.

Deific Presence
May 7, 2007

I highly recommend Rooftop Storm, Gravecrawler, and Grave Pact. And of course all the black and blue tutors you can get your hands on, Entomb, Buried Alive, etc. Infinitely Sac Gravecrawler to Grimgrin and bring it back for free with Rooftop storm, if you have Grave Pact in play it wipes all your opponents creatures, then swing in for a million.

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

So I've been playing a MURDERGOATS deck on MTGO using two Rakdos' Returns and have been having a blast with it, so I decided to make a variant in real life for FNM this week. The Returns have been pretty unspectacular online, so I dropped them and went for a more burn-heavy approach with four shocks and some lightning strikes.

I lost the first match against Izzet blitz with Cyclops + Armed and Dangerous for wins out of nowhere, won my next two against U/B control and a strange R/B midrange deck, and lost the final round to mana screw and a top-decked unflinching courage when I was one mana away from throwing a goat at his face for the win.

All in all, it went well, and everybody loved the deck. Someone brought up the idea of Ogre Battledriver, which I think sounds like a fantastic idea to make tokens a pretty big threat, so I think I'll test it out. The build I'm going with is

Deck: MURDERGOATS test

//Lands
4 Blood Crypt
9 Mountain
3 Rakdos Guildgate
7 Swamp

//Spells
3 Dreadbore
2 Lightning Strike
2 Magma Jet
4 Molten Birth
3 Rakdos Keyrune
4 Shock
3 Trading Post

//Creatures
4 Frostburn Weird
2 Ogre Battledriver
3 Purphoros, God of the Forge
3 Tymaret, the Murder King
4 Young Pyromancer

//Sideboard
1 Dreadbore
1 Trading Post
3 Slaughter Games
2 Rakdos Charm
4 Dark Betrayal
2 Doom Blade
2 Skullcrack

Display deck statistics

So, some notes: As I said, Rakdos' Returns was not working for me online, so I dropped it for early game control (Shocks, 4x Frostburn). The sideboard is heavily built around black devotion, because that's what gave me the most trouble online and it's been going around my LGS pretty promiscuously. There are a lot of four-drops in this deck, so I cut one trading post to try out the battledriver, but I'm not sure about it. Maybe a shock, frostburn or pyromancer should go instead? It needs testing, for sure, but I think the battledriver has some pretty great benefits here. Tokens are always a threat, he plays very well with trading post and molten birth, and turns your harmless chump-blocking goats into defensive threats.

Any thoughts, fellow goat enthusiasts?

Hobojim fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 16, 2013

BLUNDERCATS! noooo
Oct 30, 2008

Anung Un Rama, Urush Un Rama
I won 1st place at my local FNM (12 players) using the Theros Event Deck tonight.

Decklist:

quote:

4 Azorius Guildgate
1 Hallowed Fountain
5 Island
14 Plains

2 Ascended Lawmage
2 Banisher Priest
3 Battlewise Hoplite
3 Dryad Militant
1 Fabled Hero
1 Frontline Medic
3 Hopeful Eidolon
2 Imposing Sovereign
1 Lavinia of the Tenth
3 Lyev Skyknight
1 New Prahv Guildmage
1 Precinct Captain
1 Skymark Roc
1 Soldier of the Pantheon

2 Dauntless Onslaught
2 Detention Sphere
2 Gods Willing
1 Ordeal of Heliod
2 Ordeal of Thassa
2 Pacifism

Sideboard
2 Arrest
2 Gainsay
2 Gift of Orzhova
2 Glare of Heresy
2 Negate
3 Solemn Offering
2 Triton Tactics

Any tips on really making this deck beastly? I mean I won 2-1 every round, and it was really close every time. I could leave it alone but I have a feeling this may have just been a really really lucky night.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Here's what I've built, I know it's not perfect and it is also currently un-played.

Deck: Grimgrin EDH

I know the manabase could use some work, but it works well enough for my casual group, but it has a lot of upsides for saccing things to grimgrin.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Is Spike Jester better than Rakdos-shred freak even though Rakdos doesn't have a scryland yet?

When people say that an aggro deck should have a cmc average of 2, do they mean between 1.1 and 2.0 or 2.0 and 2.9?

Baron Porkface fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Nov 16, 2013

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Baron Porkface posted:

Is Spike Jester better than Rakdos-shred freak even though Rakdos doesn't have a scryland yet?

When people say that an aggro deck should have a cmc average of 2, do they mean between 1.1 and 2.0 or 2.0 and 2.9?

Are you not running both? If not are you running Xathrid Necromancer?

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN
Personally I think shred freak is one of the worst two drops you can run in a rakdos deck. Maybe it can do some work, but man 2 mana for a 2/1 haste just disappoints me. It looks to be pretty useful in mezz's list though.

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Here's the causal deck in question

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS

Hobojim posted:

So I've been playing a MURDERGOATS deck on MTGO using two Rakdos' Returns and have been having a blast with it, so I decided to make a variant in real life for FNM this week. The Returns have been pretty unspectacular online, so I dropped them and went for a more burn-heavy approach with four shocks and some lightning strikes.

I lost the first match against Izzet blitz with Cyclops + Armed and Dangerous for wins out of nowhere, won my next two against U/B control and a strange R/B midrange deck, and lost the final round to mana screw and a top-decked unflinching courage when I was one mana away from throwing a goat at his face for the win.

All in all, it went well, and everybody loved the deck. Someone brought up the idea of Ogre Battledriver, which I think sounds like a fantastic idea to make tokens a pretty big threat, so I think I'll test it out. The build I'm going with is

Deck: MURDERGOATS test

//Lands
4 Blood Crypt
9 Mountain
3 Rakdos Guildgate
7 Swamp

//Spells
3 Dreadbore
2 Lightning Strike
2 Magma Jet
4 Molten Birth
3 Rakdos Keyrune
4 Shock
3 Trading Post

//Creatures
4 Frostburn Weird
2 Ogre Battledriver
3 Purphoros, God of the Forge
3 Tymaret, the Murder King
4 Young Pyromancer

//Sideboard
1 Dreadbore
1 Trading Post
3 Slaughter Games
2 Rakdos Charm
4 Dark Betrayal
2 Doom Blade
2 Skullcrack

Display deck statistics

So, some notes: As I said, Rakdos' Returns was not working for me online, so I dropped it for early game control (Shocks, 4x Frostburn). The sideboard is heavily built around black devotion, because that's what gave me the most trouble online and it's been going around my LGS pretty promiscuously. There are a lot of four-drops in this deck, so I cut one trading post to try out the battledriver, but I'm not sure about it. Maybe a shock, frostburn or pyromancer should go instead? It needs testing, for sure, but I think the battledriver has some pretty great benefits here. Tokens are always a threat, he plays very well with trading post and molten birth, and turns your harmless chump-blocking goats into defensive threats.

Any thoughts, fellow goat enthusiasts?

It's worth trying out. I'd cut a frostburn over shock or molten birth.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Brillo_Pad posted:

Personally I think shred freak is one of the worst two drops you can run in a rakdos deck. Maybe it can do some work, but man 2 mana for a 2/1 haste just disappoints me. It looks to be pretty useful in mezz's list though.

Here's a crazy argument for why shred-freak is a good two drop in this specific rakdos deck, and in no other decks. And why it is better (only in this deck) than ash zealot (which is a great two drop)

1) hybrid mana is easier than RR for the mainly black mana base
2) is a human, so works well with xathrid necromancer (ash zealot does this as well)
3) dodges doom blade (this is huge)
4) dodges ultimate price (less huge but still valid)

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
I've been messing around with the Commander 2014 Naya deck, it's a beast-y tribal with a bit of the fight mechanic.

Deck: Gahiji's Three Ring Circus

My creatures may cost too much. Also, I kind of want to swap something for scooze, but I'm not sure where to make the cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
Took this deck to Friday's FNM and the Grand Prix Trial yesterday. Went 3-2 at both events, barely missing the top 8 cut at the GPT.

quote:

RW Devotion

4 Ash Zealot
4 Boros Reckoner
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
4 Fanatic of Mogis
2 Frostburn Weird
4 Rakdos Cackler
3 Stormbreath Dragon
1 Purphoros, God of the Forge

1 Assemble the Legion
1 Aurelia's Fury
2 Chained to the Rocks
2 Hammer of Purphoros
2 Legion's Initiative
3 Mizzium Mortars

2 Plains
10 Mountain
3 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
4 Sacred Foundry
4 Temple of Triumph

Sideboard
2 Wear // Tear
2 Chained to the Rocks
3 Skullcrack
1 Mizzium Mortars
1 Assemble the Legion
2 Warleader's Helix
3 Boros Charm
1 Chandra, Pyromaster

My FNM experience was pretty blah. It seemed like whenever I won it was because I got a good draw and my opponent got a terrible one. It was vice versa for my losses. The GPT was much more exciting so I'll report on that instead.

Match 1 - vs RDW

My first match I kept a questionable hand. He put out turn one Foundry Street Denizen and the Madcapped it turn 2. I had to eat it for a few turns and he got me down to 3. Luckily I drew into some removal and was able to swing the board state back into my favor and he was never able to draw the Lightin Strike to finish me off. Game 2 he ends up mulling to 5 and gets mana flooded.

Match 2 - vs Esper Control

I was dreading this match up. Game 1 I managed to put on some early hurt and got him down to 1, but couldn't finish him off before he was able to lock down the board and drop an Elspeth. I regretted not running Boros Charm main and quickly sided in all my burn for Game 2. Turn one I drop Rakdos Cackler and he responds with Soldier of the Pantheon....gently caress. It became a war of life total attrition as I made him use all his counter magic on my creatures, and slowly burned him with Boros Charms and Skullcracks to counteract his life gain.. I got him down to 2 and cast Warleader's Helix on him. In response he casts 2 Azorius Charms to unsuccessfully dig for a counter spell. Game 3 went similarly to game 2. He got me down to 2 with his two Soldiers of the Pantheon and I had burned him down to 7. I had Fanatic and Helix in hand for the kill, but unfortunately I didn't have the right combination of mana to cast both. I wouldn't have been able to block the Soldiers on the following turn and had to scoop.

Of note here, my opponent unintentionally cheated by misreading Devour Flesh and I didn't think about challenging him because he's one of the best local players. He told me that he would gain the life after making me sac a creature. All 3 of our games were super close so I believe it would've made a difference. After I learned the correct way to resolve the card I confronted him about it off to the side and all his friends made fun of him for thinking the card was that good. He ended up making top 8 and shared some of the packs he won as an apology.

Match 3 - vs Monoblack Devo

I learned how Devour Flesh really worked thanks to this match. Game 1 my opponent was mana screwed while I got mana flooded. We eventually whittled each other down and he casts Grey Merchant for the win. Game 2 I curved out and kept his side of the board under control and game 3 wasn't much different.

Match 4 - vs Selesnya

It was a quick 2-0. Game 1 I had 2 Ash Zealots with Legion's Initiative swinging for 6 a turn and was casting mortars on any threats that popped up. Game 2 I took him down from 16 down to zero by casting Fantatic for seven, then activations Legion's Initiative to deal 6 more then attack for the win.

Match 5 - vs RDW

Game 1 we traded Ash Zealot blows for a few turns before he casts Purphoros. I Chain it to the Rocks and his deck stalls out. Note, casting Mizzium Mortars on Firedrinker Satyr is hilarious. Game 2 I get out curved and overrun. Game 3 was a textbook example of how frustrating this game can be. I had to mull to 5 and kept a 1 land hand with a couple of Cacklers. My opponent then has an amazing first few turns. Turn 1 Legion Loyalist, turn 2 Ash Zealot, Turn 3 Rachet Bomb, Turn 4 Chandra, Turn 5 Purphoros. Absolutely nothing I could do.

Overall, I was happy with the way it performed but there's definitely some tweaking to be done. I think I'm gonna drop Assemble the Legion in favor of another Aurelia's Furt. Assemble has yet to do anything for me, while Aurelia's Fury has been able to make made impact everytime I've drawn it. I'm also not 100% sold on my creature selection but I'm not sure what to change.

• Locked thread