Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Slime posted:

It hardly requires telling the player that they have running shoes. Just tell them to press B to run and that's it. No need to faff around with giving them special shoes for it.

Now I just have an image of Vinny getting a pair of those weird toe shoes. He needs to feel connected to the ground before he can run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuietMisdreavus
May 12, 2013

I'm fine. Nothing to worry about.

the_steve posted:

They really should let you use some sort of pokeball customization.
Even if it was just a little box/npc that let's you say "I want my egg-hatched Snorlax to come out of a Heavy Ball. For he is large, you see."

Was it D/P/P that had that sticker customization where you could add animations to when you used a Pokemon in battle? I remember seeing that somewhere.

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

icesoldier posted:

Was it D/P/P that had that sticker customization where you could add animations to when you used a Pokemon in battle? I remember seeing that somewhere.

Heart Gold/Soul Silver, for sure. I didn't pay much attention to Gen3 or Gen4 otherwise, though; the plots were too stupid.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Regarding the flashback, I never noticed how dopey that Team Plasma grunt is. "Um, isn't people and Pokemon being together the way things work? :downs:" Did he even read the manifesto before joining?!?

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

icesoldier posted:

It was 4th gen, yeah. It's gone as of Black/White. Likewise, pokémon chilling outside their balls with you was in HG/SS alone and will likely never be seen again. The fantastic things about X/Y that people are talking about? Will likely be absent for Gen 7 if/when it arrives.

The Leper Colon V posted:

For one game, and then remove it for no reason and never mention it again.

Because that is what GameFreak does.

Really, this is the most accurate thing that has been said in this entire thread.

SirPhoebos posted:

Regarding the flashback, I never noticed how dopey that Team Plasma grunt is. "Um, isn't people and Pokemon being together the way things work? :downs:" Did he even read the manifesto before joining?!?

Given Team Plasma's general intelligence, I think the "manifesto" consisted of "hey, wanna dress up in Ren Faire chainmail and be accepted for it? Come join us!"

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Mawlie is a pretty cool pokemon, though I'm sure I'm going to be confused and keep forgetting it was only a pure steel type in these games.

Also one little thing I liked was that the person operating the route gate actually knows you.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Nov 13, 2013

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

yyyesssss
Vinny and Snivy looked good together, but I fuckin' love Mawile. So glad it's finally getting its due in Gen VI.

I also find myself wondering if B/W2's story is an attempt to make it more... accessible to its target audience. Black/White's plot was the most complex, relative to every other game in the series. So far this looks to be heading in the exact opposite direction. How well did the first Unova game sell compared with the rest of the series? Might clarify things.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Slime posted:

It hardly requires telling the player that they have running shoes. Just tell them to press B to run and that's it. No need to faff around with giving them special shoes for it.

Pokemon X and Y did something like that actually - you just start off with the running shoes - can't even recall if there's a "press B to run!' sorta thing at the beginning.

Actually the newest generation barely has a tutorial, it took five-ten minutes tops. Even I thought that was a bit short.

Thunderfinger
Jan 15, 2011

Edit: Forget this, I am dumb. :saddowns:

Thunderfinger fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Nov 13, 2013

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Thunderfinger posted:

Wait, did you switch out the Snivy for the Mawile, or are you using both?

Snivy is halfway to Philly by now. There wasn't room in the back seat for Mawile and he was tired of riding on the roof rack, so he's with Vinny for good.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Thunderfinger posted:

Wait, did you switch out the Snivy for the Mawile, or are you using both?

Chorocojo posted:

Yeah, funny thing about that. I might have given Snivy to a family on their way to Pennsylvania.

Just in case anyone else missed it.

Wounded Land
Nov 27, 2007
Living in a greenhouse, growing crops that we can't eat...
The Mawlie I got. I'm confused about the flashback thing.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010

Wounded Land posted:

The Mawlie I got. I'm confused about the flashback thing.

You can connect your B/W game with this one. Depending on how far you are in B/W when you do this you'll get scenes that fill in some of the info between B/W and B2/W2. There are also some minor gameplay things, but I'm sure we'll see those eventually.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

McDragon posted:

I've actually quite liked the "isn't technology amazing" person through the generations. Just how it went from technology in the game with the PC Storage, and then as the Online features really took off it ends up talking about real world things like that. Tech obsessive is just as much a vital character in these games as Six Magikarp Guy to me. Always nice to see them.

And on the subject of balls: Quick Balls, Dusk Balls. Those are the main ones. Work the best, and look pretty great too. Pokeballs are for boring losers, so there. See every other trainer in the game. Luxury Balls are probably my favourite for looks though. Well, that was a load of balls about balls. Balls.

Actually Pokeballs are for boring and cheap losers. Luxury Balls have the same catch rate as regular ball I believe.
There must be a 6 Magikarp Guy in every game (or that guy that has nothing but coccon pokemon that are at a high enough level to evolve).

heh heh...you said balls...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Timer Balls can be useful as well for when you get that one goddamn rear end in a top hat who won't get in the ball, stop making me burn through Ultra Balls you little poo poo! I'd hit you again, but that'd kill you outright and you KNOW I know that don't you?:rant:

Sound you got some experience there :smug:

Even worse when you see someone get it with a pokeball on their first try (it is statistically possible)

The thing with Mawile is that I tend to get confused where it's face is.

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The fact that Unova is literally Pokemon New York city makes the whole Pennsylvania joke amazing. :allears:
Seriously, I wonder what poke-Pennsylvania and poke-Jersey look like in the Pokemon universe.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Pokemon Colosseum took place in Poke-Arizona, for what it's worth.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

Pharohman777 posted:

The fact that Unova is literally Pokemon New York city makes the whole Pennsylvania joke amazing. :allears:
Seriously, I wonder what poke-Pennsylvania and poke-Jersey look like in the Pokemon universe.

Vinny is between the equivalent of Elizabeth, NJ and Newark. The portion added to the west of Unova is literally northern New Jersey, hence the thread title.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

Raitzeno posted:

Pokemon Colosseum took place in Poke-Arizona, for what it's worth.

Wouldn't that be Pokezona?

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
I think the real question is who's the poke-president?

Spikey
May 12, 2001

From my cold, dead hands!

Pyroi posted:

Brock Obama.

Seer235
May 13, 2011

Pyroi posted:

I never got around to playing Pokemon Black 2, but I've gotten pretty psyched about it once I found out you start around where I grew up. So I'll be getting it for that at least.

(I will never not love that image or Sealeo in general)

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013

We're in the Taft administration I see.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Enjoying the LP so far. Mawile's a pretty interesting choice, my only experience using one is in Colosseum. There may be a uh, slight problem with it's moveset at this point though.

I still love the Colosseum games because of how much they encourage weird-rear end teams. Gen3 Sharpedo superiority!

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Yinlock posted:

There may be a uh, slight problem with it's moveset at this point though.

Oh, that could be interesting.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Seer235 posted:

I never got around to playing Pokemon Black 2, but I've gotten pretty psyched about it once I found out you start around where I grew up. So I'll be getting it for that at least.

(I will never not love that image or Sealeo in general)

I honestly thought that the Spheal line was meant to be a starter at some point. It certainly looks that way, even if its stats don't stack up.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The Iron Rose posted:

Pokemon X and Y did something like that actually - you just start off with the running shoes - can't even recall if there's a "press B to run!' sorta thing at the beginning.

If you look around the starting village, you find a guy who talks about the old Running Shoes commercial and how "press B to run!" was part of the jingle.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Yes let's all talk about X&Y poo poo like that won't result in y'all getting probated again and again. Come on.

Blue Ghost
Dec 12, 2012

A face you can trust with a mustache that says "I'm here to make the hard choices."

I like the choice of Mawile in that it's one of the very few pure steel types and as such has a good amount of resistances. While two of its weaknesses are often covered by its decent defence stat (fighting and ground been mostly physical attacks). As others have said, while its sub-par move set is a bit of a drawback it does get nice moves from other sources.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Yinlock posted:

Enjoying the LP so far. Mawile's a pretty interesting choice, my only experience using one is in Colosseum. There may be a uh, slight problem with it's moveset at this point though.

I still love the Colosseum games because of how much they encourage weird-rear end teams. Gen3 Sharpedo superiority!
Colliseum made me love Sharpedo. And Hariyama. And Fearow. Honestly, forcing you to use weaker Pokemon was a great idea for a spin-off game.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

The Leper Colon V posted:

Colliseum made me love Sharpedo. And Hariyama. And Fearow. Honestly, forcing you to use weaker Pokemon was a great idea for a spin-off game.

Gen 5 actually gave Fearow a huge ace up it's sleeve compared to the other birds. Ever since BW1 it can now learn Drill Run making it the only bird that can learn a Ground move that isn't Hidden Power.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Spearow and Fearow have always been my starting-routes bird of choice. It's like if you crossed an Oni and an Anhinga. Onihinga.

Yinlock posted:

It can't be as much of a problem as using Elgyem when your first opponent uses a dark-type.

Mawile are deceptive little creatures. :)

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I guess I'll be a voice of dissent and say that I don't much care for Mawile just because they don't evolve. I just prefer 'mons that evolve. Feels like a reward for all that battlin' to see your pokemon actually get bigger.

But hey, I guess this means I've never really used a Mawile, so maybe this LP will show me the light.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Chorocojo posted:

Spearow and Fearow have always been my starting-routes bird of choice. It's like if you crossed an Oni and an Anhinga. Onihinga.

None of the starter birds could hold a candle to Staraptor in my eyes. That bird slicks its pompadour feathers with the blood of its enemies.

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

Also A pack of Spearow attacked Ash in the beginning. I you hate Ash you must pick Spearow/Fearow.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011
But Fearow was Ash's first catch in the Electric Tale of Pikachu.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Also Spearow/Fearow are better than Pidgey/Pidgeotto/Pidgeot. Fearow is right up there with Swellow and Staraptor in in-game utility.
But back to the thread topic, Mawile, hell yes. I'm kind of hoping for Raticate, Raticate is cool and should be used more. :colbert:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

I didn't have anything to set up the key system nonsense so that content will be totally new to me!

Also I kinda drifted to a halt somewhere in the post game. The DS is sitting right by me but :effort:

dungeon cousin
Nov 26, 2012

woop woop
loop loop
Yes, Red's starting with Mawile! These gals have so much personality on there own already that I can't wait to see what wacky adventures Vinney and Jawnie will get into :allears:

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
I got Black 2, but I never actually did the game link stuff so I'm pretty interested in that.

I also never actually beat the game. I finished out the story, but right before going to the final area I just stopped playing. Something about this game just kind of rubbed me the wrong way I guess, I just never really liked it like I did with Platinum and Soul Silver (and now X). I did beat the Elite 4 the first time in 1, but didn't really do much of the post game in that either. I was just never a fan of the region I guess, although I do like a lot of the new Pokemon.

I'm also interested in seeing what you do with Mawile. I caught it/traded for it in previous games for 'dex completion, but never really liked it enough to stick it in my main party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

#03. Ranch Jackal

Music: Floccesy Town

I hope this isn't how this is going to go, weirdos everywhere. I can do without weirdos.

Yeah, we ran from the prairie dogs.

so you must always be kind to them!"

. . . we're done here.

I don't know what that means. Who came up with that? Seriously.

Yes, just . . . don't hurt me.

Oh, uh. Some jackass's kid sister asked me to bring it to him.

What? No, don't call him that!

"The loud one. Didn't even want to give him a book."

AM I GETTING TRAINING OR NOT?

Fine, sure. Alright.

Choro Notes: Autumn actually does a thing in Black2 in that it fills pits with leaves allowing passage through some areas. Basically they just copied Winter's gimmick and painted it like a scarecrow threw up.

What?

eyes, don't you think?"

Choro Notes: Thunder Fang is an egg move for Mawile. That is, it doesn't normally have it at this level but was born with it. Without it, all Jawnie would have is Astonish which would make this part impossible without another monster.

Choro Notes: Fake Tears is a dark-type move that harshly lowers the target's Special Defense by throwing off their concentration. This isn't that useful for Mawile, to be honest.

Well I didn't want to lose!

Nope, out of the way. Electric teeth monster.

UGH.

Stupid big men, think they're so big.

No, this is a farm.

What? WHY?!

DAMMIT HUGH.

Music: Battle! Vs. Hugh

Teeth.

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT YOU NUT. JUST USE A FIRE-TYPE MOVE.

WHY DIDN'T YOU USE A FIRE-TYPE MOVE?

YES, YOU DO.

I just told her to do whatever!

I'm here for you but only in the sense of I have a thing to do and not that I am willing to support you in any way, shape or form.

Stop it.

Music: Floccesy Ranch

It was more me beating up a pig, but yeah I guess.

"Who am I? Who the gently caress are YOU?!"

Nope, just the one behind you.

wandered off, so I'm a little worried . . . "

Hugh, shut up.

Man!

Because he's got brain problems.

Whatever, gonna go look around.

- - -

Why is this thing crying. Why is there a crying mouse out here?

If I'm gonna do this I'm only catching the ones that will help out.

Dude, I don't KNOW.

GO LOOK SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Urrrrrghghghghghhh

BARNACLE. YOU ARE THE BARN.

YES, THEY DO!

Oh geez.

Good idea. I'll go somewhere else.

I could use some wool, sure.

What? No. I don't want a dumb pigeon.

Fuuuuck noooo.

. . . yeah alright.

Oh . . what th—

Uhhhh . . .

stand before it: Team Plasma!"

Those guys with that stupid drill castle that attacked the Pokémon League a few years back?

back in order to liberate Pokémon!"
Yeah, the morons in the knight costumes. I remember.

I'm not nosy, poo poo.

. . . what the gently caress?

Dog, what the hell?

Sheep. It was chasing sheep. S'what I'm telling myself.

Shut up Hugh.

This can't get any stupider.

Chorocojo fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Nov 16, 2013

• Locked thread