Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Kessel posted:

Wasn't Skyhammer taken out of the tournament rotation for precisely this reason?

I mean, anyone who gives that much of a poo poo about their ~rating~ in hotjoin PvP with random players kind of deserves what they get.

Single queue tournament arena still has it in rotation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

CLAM DOWN posted:

Tonight's weekly WvWednesday involved quashing the robot uprising! Starfleet Dental Omega Robotics Division arrived in proud fashion to assist the glorious struggle of Maguuma!

My god, why did I have to work this evening? I missed it all :smith:

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

CLAM DOWN posted:

Tonight's weekly WvWednesday involved quashing the robot uprising! Starfleet Dental Omega Robotics Division arrived in proud fashion to assist the glorious struggle of Maguuma!

This acronym doesn't even spell a rude word!

I can't tell you how disappointed I am. :colbert:

Edit: Come on you could have at least put an 'I' word in so it spelled 'DROIDS' backwards. This is just laziness

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.
God I'm so full of robot regret for being on vacation during this week's WvWednesday.

In regards to the Living Story, will it be impossible for me to do when I get back home next Friday?

Edit: Any pictures of the trikey chest mini?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Brain In A Jar posted:

This acronym doesn't even spell a rude word!

I can't tell you how disappointed I am. :colbert:

Edit: Come on you could have at least put an 'I' word in so it spelled 'DROIDS' backwards. This is just laziness

poo poo, my usually sharp and ready wit has failed me.

Shadowshift, no, we will carry your terrible rear end through it. Maths will come too with his new Quip WHICH YOU ALSO MISSED!!!

BombermanX
Jan 13, 2011

I'm afraid of other people's opinions when they differ from my own. Please do not hurt my feelings.

CLAM DOWN posted:

The Majestic March of the Omega Siege Golems began shortly, in proud fashion!

Alas, the sheer numbers of Blackgate overwhelmed our Dear Robot Friends, which we shed many tears of sorrow for.

Unfortunately, Maguuma traitors soon felt that SFD's attempts to cure the robot struggle were misplaced.

So we partied the only way we know, with fireworks and cake.

Just kidding we killed ourselves.

Thanks Starfleet Dental, for giving Maguuma's robots a heart and a soul and a reason to live life!

(click for big)

I'm glad I took part in this historic occasion!

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

This is our finest picture ever

UchihaHirou
Mar 8, 2007

Active Skill:
Solves all problems.

CLAM DOWN posted:

poo poo, my usually sharp and ready wit has failed me.

Shadowshift, no, we will carry your terrible rear end through it. Maths will come too with his new Quip WHICH YOU ALSO MISSED!!!

At least SFD won't have as much trouble carrying my weight as they did yours Arus. Besides, I've yet had a chance to spam my shiny [The Flameseeker Prophecies] in guild chat for you yet.

Ninja2507
Sep 5, 2006

Power, Wisdom, and Courage
SFD shenanigans are one of the many reasons y'all should get GW2 if you are still on the fence. That and it's an MMO that is actually fun to play and level through.

So come on down and have some fun! :)

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Ninja2507 posted:

SFD shenanigans are one of the many reasons y'all should get GW2 if you are still on the fence. That and it's an MMO that is actually fun to play and level through.

SFD shenanigans are opsec level 12. The are only revealed to the inner kabul of SFD higher cabinet.

WvV Wednesday: The ramoking.

All SFD, please continue opsec security protocol :rocode:

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012
Seeing those pics makes me soo glad I made my Engi Asura. I get a Golem :3:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

UchihaHirou posted:

Edit: Any pictures of the trikey chest mini?

Dulfy has pictures of the actual mini and for size comparison it's as tall as the average Asura. Reaches my human's hip. I'd take a picture but I'm about to leave for class. :)

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
Just getting into this game and I am having a blast just solo PvE and running around WvW with the zerg (when I can find it). I have tried every class to 10 and I have the most fun with necro. Is there a good necro guide somewhere you guys can recommend?

Also, if I want to buy some cosmetic stuff, is there more than just the toxic stuff and the few others i see in the BL store? Seems an awfully thin lineup for a game that makes its money that way.

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup

The Dregs posted:

Just getting into this game and I am having a blast just solo PvE and running around WvW with the zerg (when I can find it). I have tried every class to 10 and I have the most fun with necro. Is there a good necro guide somewhere you guys can recommend?

Also, if I want to buy some cosmetic stuff, is there more than just the toxic stuff and the few others i see in the BL store? Seems an awfully thin lineup for a game that makes its money that way.

Necro builds come in a few varieties usually based around condition or power stacking. For my own necro I did Staff/Axe+Warhorn and took ground targeted wells then greater marks. Everything dies very quickly.

If I could offer any wisdom from experience, I would hop on youtube one evening and search "gw2 <class> wvw roaming" and watch like 5 minutes of each class before you decide on one. Almost all classes play very, very differently from what they are at level 10 and some can get traits that are complete game changers in the 40/60 tiers.

As an example, I played every class to 10 in beta and decided on warrior/guardian, because they are pretty obviously the most powerful in that range, while mesmer, elementalist and engineer all felt completely pitiful by comparison. A year later and I just finished off necro and engineer alts and engineer is probably the most fun thing I've ever played, but they felt like absolute poo poo at level 10 in beta.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

The Dregs posted:

A lot of the cosmetic stuff is only around for limited times so people will panic buy it.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
And a lot of it you can get randomly from chests you open with gem store keys. Have fun! just trade gems for gold and buy those skins off TP

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

The Dregs posted:

A few classes don't really come into their own without the traits that high levels provide. This is especially true for Mesmer. You can get a somewhat better idea of each class' endgame in PvP as it upscales you and lets you mess around with skill, trait, and equipment builds.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
This update has really good "necro themed" gear, too.

weinus
Mar 4, 2004

I was made to understand there were grilled cheese sandwiches here.

Ninja2507 posted:

SFD seems really fun and I love reading about your guys exploits here :)

If I wasn't in a tryhard WvW guild I'd probably join.

featurecreep
Jul 23, 2002

Yes, Robinson, take the Major, the Robot, your wife and kids... but leave Will for my plea-- his education.

CLAM DOWN posted:

SFD shenanigans and goings-on

And I got to join WvW for the first time ever. I also proved how laughably awful I am at jumping puzzles by being a full 30 minutes behind everyone else!

I don't know everyone's names here, but thanks to the guy who stayed behind to make sure I eventually found my way (and got me out of that awful dark room).

I finished off the night by running dungeons and fractals with a few other dentists. Fractals are great when you're doing a set and your armor breaks in the very first one (and you have no armor repair items)!

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
The goddamn torch doesn't light up poo poo in that room. And if you throw out attacks to light the room up, god forbid they hit an enemy otherwise it puts you in combat and now you can make literally no jumps. I'm such a baddie at blind puzzles.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

cumsitter posted:

The goddamn torch doesn't light up poo poo in that room. And if you throw out attacks to light the room up, god forbid they hit an enemy otherwise it puts you in combat and now you can make literally no jumps. I'm such a baddie at blind puzzles.

You gotta reach the point where you have that room memorized and don't need a torch!

Secret Sweater
Oct 17, 2005
dup
So I asked about grenth runes for engy and nobody responded, so I tried them out tonight with smashing success. The build is in sPvP mode.

The Iceman Cometh!
http://intothemists.com/calc/?build=-VRw;2cPkk0f67QFx0;9;4T9-J917A5;308-5;0N7;4ecX9ecX92Fp

Where this deviates from most trait wise is I don't take bomb kit and I don't take incendiary powder. It's getting moved up to master tier and without bomb kit I also don't need forceful explosions, which allows me to take shrapnel for a weaker but huge duration bleed. I also plan on trying protection injection over backpack regenerator tonight to see how it goes, I seem to be more susceptible to unexpected spikes than prolonged fights. I generally prefer preventative rather than reactive.

Chills:
Heal Turret - AOE 3s chill (4.8s actual) 20s cooldown
Freeze Grenade - Up to 3x 2s chills (9.6s actual) 16s cooldown
5% Defense Proc - 3s chill (4.8s actual) 30s cooldown
Sigil of Ice - 2s chill 30% on crit (3.2s actual) 10s cooldown

Chill is an absolutely brutal condition that generally warrants immediate removal. Just as a typical fight goes, I initiate a fight with grenade 4. The AOE on it is huge and it's not difficult to lead people with it at all. If it's going to hit, immediately follow up with a full rotation of grenade 2, 3 & 5 (don't bother with auto attack). If I land this initial barrage on someone, the fight is pretty much already over. The only time people have been able to recover from this is if I make some really big errors or they get bailed out by teammates.

After the grenade barrage, if they're still at range I'll do elixir gun 2, apply a few bleeds/weakness from auto attack then close distance while doing pistol 3, 2 and rocket kick.

If they're a melee character and close the gap after the grenade barrage, I go to pistol 2/3/rocket kick and I'll use shield skills if I'm taking a lot of heat. After that I start popping them with the elixer gun and go from there.

You're absolute oval office to kill and between rocket boots, elixer gun and all the chills, I pretty much never die in a 1v1 unless it's out of my own greed. Illusion mesmers are the only thing that really give me trouble, and I avoid that issue by just never fighting them face to face. They can't keep you locked down and you have way more mobility, so I just avoid them unless they're focused on someone else.

Secret Sweater fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Nov 14, 2013

NapoleonAtWaterloo
Jun 28, 2008
For dark rooms like that, get a skill on your hotbar that you can aim, like grenades or banners and just use the aiming reticle to highlight things, don't actually cast it.

Like this but in the dark room. It will highlight all the terrain and you can get through without a torch or accidentally getting into combat mode.

NapoleonAtWaterloo fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 14, 2013

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot

NapoleonAtWaterloo posted:

For dark rooms like that, get a skill on your hotbar that you can aim, like grenades or banners and just use the aiming reticle to highlight things, don't actually cast it.

Like this but in the dark room. It will highlight all the terrain and you can get though without a torch or accidentally getting into combat mode.

Oh you probably just saved me an hour or two, thank you.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
The Mad King backpack from last year's Halloween also provides ambient light.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
You could also use the torch from that divinity's reach event a couple months ago.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Erdricks posted:

The Mad King backpack from last year's Halloween also provides ambient light.
Several weapons like the FDS are light sources too.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The only dark room light I need is Moot.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

CLAM DOWN posted:

The only dark room light I need is Moot.
Bolt :argh:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Incinerator? :sun:

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Predator. :golgo:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Ilya. :(

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

"Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"
Dreamer. :gay:

Kazoo
Apr 22, 2009

I don't even need a weapon to illuminate a room. :ssj:

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Kazoo posted:

I don't even need a weapon to illuminate a room. :ssj:
If only I could be so grossly incandescent. :sigh:

Menstrual Show
Jun 3, 2004

If you can use greatswords buy a Cobalt - I switch to it for every dark room puzzle and it lights plenty to see you through all of the jumps.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

mesc posted:

If you can use greatswords buy a Cobalt - I switch to it for every dark room puzzle and it lights plenty to see you through all of the jumps.

They also look incredibly awesome.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

malhavok posted:

They also look incredibly awesome.

I just bought one for under 3g and I was surprised how cheap it was to get a flaming blue great-sword that looks great in action. Time to pick one up for my soon to be 80 guardian!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time
I'm bummed that I missed out on WvWvWednesday yesterday. I was even practicing my golem piloting earlier this week just in case we did something like this. It seems I need more practice.

J3ng4 fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Nov 15, 2013

• Locked thread