Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?
I'm wondering why FrankenTate only grunts while Madison is able to speak? Does it have to do with Misty's resurrection powers? I might imagine so...I guess we'll find out when Myrtle returns also. My guess is FrankenTate is like an amateurish resurrection compared with anything Misty would do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp

MadSparkle posted:

I'm wondering why FrankenTate only grunts while Madison is able to speak? Does it have to do with Misty's resurrection powers? I might imagine so...I guess we'll find out when Myrtle returns also. My guess is FrankenTate is like an amateurish resurrection compared with anything Misty would do.

It may have something to do with the fact that he's literally all the good bodyparts of the boys left over from the horrible bus "accident" sewn together then resurrected.

f1av0r
Jan 13, 2008
There really isn't any tension this season because of the resurrections every time someone dies. I also don't really feel this season feels spooky.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

f1av0r posted:

There really isn't any tension this season because of the resurrections every time someone dies. I also don't really feel this season feels spooky.

There have been three resurrections so far. The first one resulted in a zombie that can only moan and throw violent tantrums. The second resulted in a full-body burn victim and God only knows what she's going to look like when she gets out of that dirt pile. The third hasn't been around long enough to demonstrate how exactly she's hosed up. It's not exactly a perfect reset button.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

haveblue posted:

There have been three resurrections so far. The first one resulted in a zombie that can only moan and throw violent tantrums. The second resulted in a full-body burn victim and God only knows what she's going to look like when she gets out of that dirt pile. The third hasn't been around long enough to demonstrate how exactly she's hosed up. It's not exactly a perfect reset button.

Misty was the first one. She was burned and came back just fine.

There was a dead baby brought back, they didn't show her grow up or anything but implied she was going to be normal.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I'm glad everyone is together in the Coven, but really missed Kathy Bates this episode. Was she just taking a nap the whole episode? Where would Delphine be?

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
I don't mean to keep coming down on the show, because at the end of the day, I do honestly want to see what happens. But drat, the writing is just too polarized and jumbled. Nearly every major character flip flops between sympathetic and deviant, cowardly and courageous, and shockingly incompetent to deus ex levels of powerful. The plot itself is very back and forth and the narrative just isn't flowing naturally. It's like every scene is conveniently wrapped up before they jump back to another plot point. Rather than with Asylum, where it seemed many of the stories were fairly self-contained beyond characters interacting with each other, until it all came to a head, this season seems to have the major characters constantly part of every story, and the show tries to find excuses for this to happen, suffering for it.

I agree with f1av0r that the tension just doesn't seem to be there, and I think that's the main issue. I mean, look at everything that happened tonight. They summon the Axeman's spirit, which quite conveniently leads them to Madison's body. Spalding happens upon Zoe but is easily knocked out and tortured by the girls (including Zoe, who is somehow now the smartest/bravest of the group.) Madison is resurrected and doesn't seem to be feeling very many ill effects of being dead that long besides a little spit up. Then Axeman, somehow completely physically back from the dead, tortures Cordelia, which none of the witches seems to be able to stop because ... the door is locked? Not until Zoe once again pulls some magic out of her rear to find just the right book. Hell, the book literally flipped to the page they needed for them.

It just makes you wonder what the endgame is. Is Fiona really the true villain of the season, or will be the cancer-stricken victim of the Axeman and her own guilt? Will her manipulation of Queenie lead anywhere or will she and Nan remain bit players following suddenly charismatic Zoe around? Will Zoe actually do anything interesting or endearing, and will her relationship with Kyle mean anything, or is she simply destined to be the Bella of this Twilight of a season? Is Laveau about to become the main antagonist that unites the Coven, or could she honestly just not do anything and watch the Coven implode on itself?

I do want to see what happens, but it's more of a "well how are they gonna fix all this," rather than a "I can't wait to see how amazing the next episode is."

escape artist posted:

I'm glad everyone is together in the Coven, but really missed Kathy Bates this episode. Was she just taking a nap the whole episode? Where would Delphine be?

That's another problem. They seem way too willing to just shove characters off to the side for the sake of convenience. From the beginning we were critical of the fact that these young witches are being totally unsupervised in this supposed school for them.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.
I dunno, to me this episode more than any before showed what the main story of the season is and will be. Zoe has a latched on to a compelling but naive purpose: she wants to bring the coven together and help her people survive. The problem is Fiona's secrets and lies around every corner make that impossible. That's why Misty wouldn't join in, why Cordelia got acid in the face, why Madison was killed and Spalding lied to cover it up, why they're at war with the other witches, etc.

Also didn't Zoe summon the spirit to guide them to Madison? It wasn't a coincidence or anything.

quote:

That's another problem. They seem way too willing to just shove characters off to the side for the sake of convenience. From the beginning we were critical of the fact that these young witches are being totally unsupervised in this supposed school for them.

Yeah I expected it to be more like an actual school, or Hogwarts, but like Cordelia said this episode its more of a haven.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
The writing and story this season is indefensibly bad, but I'm still sticking with it because it's AHS and I know everything can turn on a dime.

Another thing that bothered me last night was Cordelia going from "I want to have a baby with my husband who I love and defend" to seeing a fuzzy vision and then sending him away without any sort of ... conversation or whatever. That's just not how relationships work / people deal with things (except when the plot demands it).

On the positive side, Rabe stealing all the peanut butter and bagels :3:

epenthesis
Jan 12, 2008

I'M TAKIN' YOU PUNKS DOWN!

fullroundaction posted:

Another thing that bothered me last night was Cordelia going from "I want to have a baby with my husband who I love and defend" to seeing a fuzzy vision and then sending him away without any sort of ... conversation or whatever. That's just not how relationships work / people deal with things (except when the plot demands it).

I think things would probably work differently for people who knew that said visions were accurate.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

epenthesis posted:

I think things would probably work differently for people who knew that said visions were accurate.

Probably yeah, you would just think she'd have taken some time to struggle with it or internalize it or something. At least give him a chance to speak. Overall it's not that big of a deal when compared to other things, I just thought it was rushed for no reason when it could have been a good point of drama.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
It's not like she just has her vision taken away by acid to the eyes or anything. They should sit down over tea and discuss how every time he touches her she has terrible visions of him cheating like normal adults.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I don't think I'm going off the reservation for saying that this is easily the show's worst season so far.
It had a great idea but it's just been so badly executed.

i am bones
May 18, 2010

We are the Crystal Gems!

MadSparkle posted:

The only reason I could justify it for myself was because Madison is a witch, while Tate is just a normal human. :shrug: I am enjoying this season, and I think it's tied with Murder House so far quality wise (Asylum being my least favorite) but I do wonder what direction it's going to take in the long run, and how it will all come to a head in the finale. I'm going to guess Zoe realizes her true potential as the next Supreme, ousts Fiona (possibly by burning her like Myrtle) and ends up living happily ever after with Misty Day and co.

Also, somehow, Lalaurie will end up dying for good after redeeming herself and everyone will cry because she's just so goddamn likeable. :3:

And I find it weird that a lot of people here are analysing every situation and dissecting each and every word or action that Zoe or whoever makes and easily dismissing it as if it's entirely unbelievable. Like, these characters are teenagers. They're not flawless beings able to make the best decision in every scenario.

i am bones fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 14, 2013

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

fullroundaction posted:

Probably yeah, you would just think she'd have taken some time to struggle with it or internalize it or something. At least give him a chance to speak. Overall it's not that big of a deal when compared to other things, I just thought it was rushed for no reason when it could have been a good point of drama.

I think the 'drama' here is actually more that, for all her attempts at self-restraint and control over the years (because she's seen exactly what not reining it in does with her mother as prime example), Cordelia is not all that far removed from Fiona. And Fiona would have killed him, husband or no, about .05 seconds after she had that vision.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

i am bones posted:

The only reason I could justify it for myself was because Madison is a witch, while Tate is just a normal human.

Madison was largely intact and brought back by an expert with a natural talent for it, while Kyle is made from a bunch of different people and brought back with the witchcraft equivalent of banging on it with a wrench until it works.

i am bones
May 18, 2010

We are the Crystal Gems!

haveblue posted:

Madison was largely intact and brought back by an expert with a natural talent for it, while Kyle is made from a bunch of different people and brought back with the witchcraft equivalent of banging on it with a wrench until it works.

You're right. I forgot it was mostly Zoe's/Madison's doing and Misty only helped a tad.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
Glad I'm not the only guy here thinking they dropped the ball on this season. What is it with 2013 and lovely third seasons? Walking Dead 3.5, Falling Skies, Hell on Wheels, and now this.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Nov 14, 2013

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Shitenshi posted:

Glad I'm not the only guy here thinking they dropped the ball on this season. What is it with 2013 and lovely third seasons? Walking Dead 3.5, Falling Skies, Hell on Wheels, and now this.

Walking Dead has been awesome this half-season so far, I don't know what to tell you.

We were discussing the similarity to X-Men in the first episode. Since it's AHS it's thrown off the comic book comparisons except for one thing: death is meaningless.

There's a lack of tension this season because the characters have supernatural powers. They're not real people reacting to scary situations like in the first two seasons. There's less suspense when it's expected that the answer to a problem will be that one of the witches will wave it away.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

BJPaskoff posted:

Walking Dead has been awesome this half-season so far, I don't know what to tell you.
Yeah I'm surprised TWD picked itself up after the mediocre Season 3.5. They definitely got a good guy at the helm for Season 4. On death though, there were ghosts in S1, aliens and zombies in S2, but it still worked. It's not handled with the same gravitas here. Kyle's relevance has been tossed aside and even Madison seemed pretty normal looking in her second scene this episode despite being a rotting zombie in the first scene she was revived.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
This is probably my least favorite season so far but I don't dislike it and I appreciate them trying something new even if it didn't completely gel together. I think that the biggest flaw so far is that seasons 1 and 2 had a very immediate threat and focused scope (haunted house full of malevolent spirits, asylum full of evil people and monsters) while so far Coven has had a more meandering pace across a broader scope with no clear-cut villains. It might all come together in the end but so far it doesn't feel like there's any real ongoing threat, things just happen.

One thing I am really enjoying so far is that it's the only current show I can think of that doesn't have any male leads. Frankentate, Bible Hunk, Riff Raff, and Witch-Hunter Hubby exist but they're largely reactive side characters and love interests ie the roles usually fulfilled by women in genre shows like this.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
I was hoping Cordelia would draw out her reveal, maybe try harder to figure out what her husband had been up to before kicking him out. She's not aware of the murder, right, just the sex?

I was pretty happy with last night's ep, we at least got to see the rest of the cast show off their acting chops. Lily Rabe especially - I teared up a little with her when Stevie broke.

It cracks me up when Fiona is only nice to people when she's thinking about her own mortality.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013
7 episodes left and I'm still hoping to see this guy:

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
Uh, no. That thing is the reason I have to fast forward through the opening every week.

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!

AGirlWonder posted:

Uh, no. That thing is the reason I have to fast forward through the opening every week.

Seriously. I have no idea why, but that thing just.. Bothers me on some level. Can't really explain it.

radlum
May 13, 2013

OmniBeer posted:

Seriously. I have no idea why, but that thing just.. Bothers me on some level. Can't really explain it.

I really like the creepy opening. My favorite/creepier parts are the witches dancing around the burning pyre (is that a witch they are burning? It seems the pilgrims got the idea from the witches themselves) and the voodoo zombie-looking man.

Is there going to be a midseason cut? I don't remember if Asylum had one. I hope the second half of the season improves and gets more focused on an actual plot.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

AGirlWonder posted:

Really? Huh. It's the least scary part to me because the CGI looks so fake and plastic to me.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

OmniBeer posted:

It's creepier to me because it's standing right there in broad daylight, in direct defiance of monster protocol that they only appear at night. If you're walking in a spooky forest at night, you only have yourself to blame if you're eaten by a demon. Taking a daylight stroll in the woods and come across this guy? gently caress that.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

ThatPazuzu posted:

Really? Huh. It's the least scary part to me because the CGI looks so fake and plastic to me.

It's something about the way it moves. And it's looking at you.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

AGirlWonder posted:

It's something about the way it moves. And it's looking at you.

Demon looked at you?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Hope Stevie Misty and Nan create their own coven and everyone else burns.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

BJPaskoff posted:

It's creepier to me because it's standing right there in broad daylight, in direct defiance of monster protocol that they only appear at night. If you're walking in a spooky forest at night, you only have yourself to blame if you're eaten by a demon. Taking a daylight stroll in the woods and come across this guy? gently caress that.

Yeah, its just so drat nonchalant.

ThatPazuzu posted:

That's a big part of what makes it creepy.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Well now someone has to take that screenshot and animate on a really slow delay so the head turns and looks at you when you aren't expecting it. :getin:

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

OmniBeer posted:

I walk out of the room when I see it, it scares the hell out of me :cry:

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

I find it surprising that so many of you loved season 2 and found it to be more story driven and focused thus far. Granted, I stayed away from the season 2 thread because I disliked it so much, but remember how random the events of that season were? Nazi medical experiments? Check. Satanic possessions? Check. Murders? Rapists? Infantalization? Aliens? Anne Frank? Adam Levine getting a BJ? Mhmm. The only way that all that could possibly tie together is under the conceit of an insane asylum. By that standard a voodoo witch war seems rather neat. In fact, can't every plot and subplot be connected to the voodoo war or the hunt for the new supreme?

I like to think everything with the resurrections will unify with a larger sentiment on the nature of death. I wonder how many characters at the end of the season will long for the release of death that may be otherwise denied. You already know that Tate would have been better off dead, Lalurie also. We've also seen Fiona become even more monstrous in her pursuit of immortality.

Do we have proof that Fiona is even aware of Misty and her talents? I can't think of any direct interaction of theirs.

Anyone else catch that murder of crows imagery in the opening scene? I was a big fan of that visual.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster

ShaqDiesel posted:

7 episodes left and I'm still hoping to see this guy:

As much as I love this show and this season, if that guy doesn't show (I expect it will if previous season intros are anything to go by) I'm gonna be furious.

I swear I'm not some weird cosplay freak but something about the way this show does costumes and poo poo just kills me. The Rubber Man and the Pretty Girl mask from season one are still probably my favorite two bits they've ever done. Minotaur is right up there.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

Do we have proof that Fiona is even aware of Misty and her talents? I can't think of any direct interaction of theirs.

The only thing I can think of is that she mentions a girl named Misty Day getting burned at the stake when she rolls into New Orleans and starts needling Cordelia about letting the coven fall to poo poo or whatever. I think until last night's episode, only Zoe (and I guess now Myrtle) was actually aware that Misty had come back.

Gentwise
Sep 12, 2003
Gentwise Bankfourthe, Esquire.
Does anyone know what music is playing during the scene where Misty is watering Myrtle. Not the Stevie Nicks playing during the bath. Thanks!

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

xeria posted:

The only thing I can think of is that she mentions a girl named Misty Day getting burned at the stake when she rolls into New Orleans and starts needling Cordelia about letting the coven fall to poo poo or whatever. I think until last night's episode, only Zoe (and I guess now Myrtle) was actually aware that Misty had come back.

Yes, this is the only mention Fiona gives of her, and I'm actually kind of surprised that she doesn't know or sense her, but I guess she's got her own head up her rear end due to the immortality thing as well as her illness and the Cordelia stuff, etc.

It would be sort of interesting to see if Misty can heal as well as resurrect. She mentioned something about how 'dead' Madison was initially before resurrecting her (the scene kind of had an unintentionally Princess Bride vibe to it, I felt)....anyway, Misty seems to know a thing or two about healing regardless, just with the care she gives her freshly resurrected friends. I got a big kick out of seeing her water her little garden and then the Myrtle mound. I would imagine Fiona would grasp HARD at Misty if she knew she could be resurrected once she died, and might even try to push her to see if she can heal her in some way, possibly.

I am so glad Misty didn't stay in that house, she is so perfect in her natural environment, that swamp shack and all.

Which leads me to the next question, having to do in general with the number of witches around, and how Zoe was talking about it...obviously one of the main culprits is Cordelia's husband, witch hunter for hire. He's taken out, what, 5 witches or something ? I'm curious about the times in general, how the numbers have dwindled over the ages, and with the scene showing the young Moira witch, I wonder how many witches have simply tried to assimilate themselves into society as she tried to do, to make the house as it is, not really a place for learning as much as a sanctuary for the few remaining. Which is strange if you think of it. Society itself was less accepting back then of something like witchcraft, so a sanctuary would be considered more realistic than a school back then (the comment about wanting a husband and to be normal from the young witch redhead seemed so weird to me in this day, maybe 50 years ago, but to see her saying it now felt a little unbelievable to me) . The reverse, now, would be likely, however. Hell, I could even imagine a blog about it, it could be, like, a thing, a movement. You know all kinds of people would be wanting to join, even auditioning or something for America's Next Supreme. It just seems the numbers are a little backwards for these times. Fiona talks about witches getting killed more and more etc., but it would seem there would be more of them...unless this is a blood lineage thing, which would make more sense, because it would be about the blood line becoming more diluted and so you really do have more half-or-quarter blood witches assimilating into society. It's only natural. But I guess that would change the plot entirely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

I find it surprising that so many of you loved season 2 and found it to be more story driven and focused thus far. Granted, I stayed away from the season 2 thread because I disliked it so much, but remember how random the events of that season were? Nazi medical experiments? Check. Satanic possessions? Check. Murders? Rapists? Infantalization? Aliens? Anne Frank? Adam Levine getting a BJ? Mhmm. The only way that all that could possibly tie together is under the conceit of an insane asylum. By that standard a voodoo witch war seems rather neat. In fact, can't every plot and subplot be connected to the voodoo war or the hunt for the new supreme?

I like to think everything with the resurrections will unify with a larger sentiment on the nature of death. I wonder how many characters at the end of the season will long for the release of death that may be otherwise denied. You already know that Tate would have been better off dead, Lalurie also. We've also seen Fiona become even more monstrous in her pursuit of immortality.

Anyone else catch that murder of crows imagery in the opening scene? I was a big fan of that visual.

No, where's the murder of crows? I can't seem to see it when I watch this. I need to watch it again.
I watched the intro on mute, because the music also gives me the creeps.

I also cannot get into S2, it seems really disjointed to me and VERY all over the place. I really liked the first season, and this one so far. I still think the first one was a lot more cohesive even more than this one, but that's probably because we had a considerably smaller cast, and really, the family itself was the main focus, so even in the pre-openings which were all past tense, we always came back to this one family and they didn't deviate much. And the cast was great (even though I am not really a big fan of Connie Britton, she kind of gets on my nerves). My main gripe with this season is how all over the place it is due to casting. With last one is was the plot itself being all over the place.
Still. I'm fairly dedicated.

• Locked thread