Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Cami is what April Young should've been.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

Poor little kittens, they've lost their mittens! And now they shan't have pie :(

PriorMarcus posted:

Cami is what April Young should've been.

April Young was god-awful and out of place. Like a Mary-Sue for all the fan girls. There was never a scene that she was in that she didn't feel out of place. She'd immediately take me out of the show.

Soothing Vapors posted:

Is Silas' knock knock joke too long to be the thread title? Because it was amazing

I wasn't expecting it to be good at all (because when are knock knock jokes EVER good?) ... but then that final line and I laughed so hard. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBfBmf63Ixo

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
The Originals just got picked up for a full season. Not too big a surprise.

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

Poor little kittens, they've lost their mittens! And now they shan't have pie :(

Teek posted:

The Originals just got picked up for a full season. Not too big a surprise.

Yessss.

I'm not sure which show I am enjoying more right now. VD or The Originals. Both have their merits. Both have flaws. But I am truly enjoying The Originals, so bring on a full season!

RobinPierce
Aug 29, 2009
After what i feel was a bit of a weak start, I'm super enjoying The Originals. It seems to be getting better in direct proportion to Vampire Diaries getting worse though, unfortunately.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Oh hi Tyler

Not sure it's really necessary to introduce another faction at this point, but at least Tyler's getting something interesting to do.

Oh look, a surprise gay!

I kind of admire the show's unwillingness to stray from Klaus' nature. It has taken baby steps towards having him take a closer look at himself, but it does seem to be one step forward and one giant leap back. I can only think that it's setting him up for a massive fall to hit rock bottom at some point.

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 13, 2013

Peppercat
Mar 17, 2011

One would think that if Haley's blood can create hybrids that she could easily cure Elijah of his bite. Maybe that's just me thinking that though...

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Peppercat posted:

One would think that if Haley's blood can create hybrids that she could easily cure Elijah of his bite. Maybe that's just me thinking that though...

That was my first thought as well. But they probably want the sappy scene if him being sick and her taking care of him.

I really hope Rebekkah ignores Marcel. She always gets swept up with some guy. Make a third option and follow your own path! Be the Queen if the Quarter!

Also, Klaus will have no interest in making hybrids if they aren't sired to him. That defeats the purpose.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

As problematic as this show is this season, it's still a ton of fun watching Paul Wesley play every version of himself.

So Amara might be an eeeensy-bit crazy...

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 15, 2013

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Is it just me, or is this season really lacking in a clear central antagonist? It seems like everyone is at once the good and bad guy. Normally this works well but it's starting to get a bit confusing.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Yeah it's been all over the place. Who knows if the travelers will be playing a bigger part in this and you've still got that secret society stuff at the college brewing in the background.

Oh hey, Bonnie's back. And now she can't be loving killed ever because she's a supernatural ghost/human anchor or something. GREAT. Although I'm okay with Bonnie's eternal torture as spirits pass through her.

I'll miss your snarky self, Silas :(

hope and vaseline fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Nov 15, 2013

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
The only thing that could make Bonnie interesting is if she pulled a Dark Willow and became evil. That'd be pretty cool, actually. But it'll never happen because the writes are waaayyy too fond of these characters.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Captain Mog posted:

The only thing that could make Bonnie interesting is if she pulled a Dark Willow and became evil. That'd be pretty cool, actually. But it'll never happen because the writes are waaayyy too fond of these characters.

Seems more likely they'll be going with a dark Stefan route, or going slowly insane. I'm okay with that!

Lucania
May 1, 2009

Captain Mog posted:

Is it just me, or is this season really lacking in a clear central antagonist?

I'm choosing to just see the very lame Elena as this right now. "Do you have a spare second while you are burying the guy who tortured you who just happens to have your face? So, I had a LOT of fun this summer screwing your brother while you repeatedly drowned. Could you please tell me you are OK so that I can feel better about myself?"

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

hope and vaseline posted:

I'll miss your snarky self, Silas :(

Seriously. Silas has been the best thing about this season by far. To have him offed in the same episode that Bonnie comes back is just the worst. We got stuck with Klaus for three seasons and a spinoff, and yet Silas, who's actually awesome, only lasts 7 episodes?

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Shakugan posted:

Seriously. Silas has been the best thing about this season by far. To have him offed in the same episode that Bonnie comes back is just the worst. We got stuck with Klaus for three seasons and a spinoff, and yet Silas, who's actually awesome, only lasts 7 episodes?

I fully expect the Silas is still around in the Other Side and Bonnie and Matt will have more than enough chance to interact with him in the upcoming episodes.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
Holy poo poo that pre title opening was absolutely amazing. Can we just replace Stefan with Silas for keeps?

courtney_beth
Jul 23, 2007

I SHALL NOT USE MY
HOOVES AS HANDS

Damiya posted:

Holy poo poo that pre title opening was absolutely amazing. Can we just replace Stefan with Silas for keeps?

I came here to post exactly this. I think that's in my top five favorite scenes of the show - you can tell that Paul Wesley loves playing evil/badboy because he hammed it up and it was perfect!!

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
Oh god Bonnie came back with A Terrible Curse which is going to be completely wasted because her actress just does not have the capacity to perform a role like that (and that's without discussing how badly Bonnie tends to be written)

There's this really weird 'so, uh, what now' vibe. I would have preferred to keep Silas and Tessa as big bads until the end of the season. Instead we lose our interesting hooks and rush back to 90210: Whitmore

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

Damiya posted:

Oh god Bonnie came back with A Terrible Curse which is going to be completely wasted because her actress just does not have the capacity to perform a role like that (and that's without discussing how badly Bonnie tends to be written)

There's this really weird 'so, uh, what now' vibe. I would have preferred to keep Silas and Tessa as big bads until the end of the season. Instead we lose our interesting hooks and rush back to 90210: Whitmore

I didn't read any of the books that weren't written in the 90s, but apparently the route they took in the books is the secret society is actually a cult which worships Lovecraftian demons and wishes to eradicate vampires or somesuch deal. In one of them, Elena & co. actually descend into the "other side" to fight these creatures and rescue a de-vamped Damon.

Now that I wrote that out, I actually kind of want to read it? It'd be a cool thing for the show to do but I doubt they'd actually do that. IMO, what really could have refreshed this show is if they all went off to college in like another city (Richmond? DC?) and the show was anchored there. But they totally missed that opportunity and now they seem to be floundering, stuck in the same rut they've been stuck in since the beginning of S3.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Nov 15, 2013

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

Huh. The show could potentially benefit from raising the villain stakes, and Hellmouth eldritch gods would be cool as hell since they haven't really done anything of that magnitude. But will Elena stay with Damon or go back to Stefan?!!!?!

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

It's funny that Bonnie's the anchor now, because she is kind of a drag.

I was hoping that her return would throw her back into "barely around" territory, but I guess we can't have nice things because now she's going to be the center of the whole plot. It's great that everyone was so desperate to have her back that they asked zero questions about the consequences of the spell. They all just assumed Amara's crazy was caused by being stone, even after learning she could interact with ghosts.

Captain Mog posted:

I didn't read any of the books that weren't written in the 90s, but apparently the route they took in the books is the secret society is actually a cult which worships Lovecraftian demons and wishes to eradicate vampires or somesuch deal. In one of them, Elena & co. actually descend into the "other side" to fight these creatures and rescue a de-vamped Damon.

Now that I wrote that out, I actually kind of want to read it?

The new books are so awful that, after the first three, the publishers pulled in a ghostwriter. I've heard that the ghostwritten ones are a big improvement (and that's where they go to college), but they're still hampered by all the stupid, stupid things that the original author threw in when she came out of writing retirement. If you do decide to check the recent ones out, skip that first trilogy unless you're in the mood for something that reads like anime-influenced fanfic.

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

Captain Mog posted:

Now that I wrote that out, I actually kind of want to read it? It'd be a cool thing for the show to do but I doubt they'd actually do that. IMO, what really could have refreshed this show is if they all went off to college in like another city (Richmond? DC?) and the show was anchored there. But they totally missed that opportunity and now they seem to be floundering, stuck in the same rut they've been stuck in since the beginning of S3.

I've actually read the books and they are bad very very bad. Also you're wrong the secret society are actually vampires that want to resurrect Klaus. Yeah in the books klaus dies in like the second book. Also Bonnie goes after Damon who went into the dark realm to get turned into a vampire again.]

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
If you absolutely insist on reading the books, the first three are pretty much the only ones that are campy terrible and therefore fun. They've got a certain awesome 80sness to them that...well let's just say if you devoured Sweet Valley High books as a kid, then what you're in for is Jessica Wakefield love triangulates a couple of medieval Bugle Boy models and then eats some people. Reading past that is like reading terrible Troper fanfiction that inexplicably got a real publisher (don't do that).

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

atomicgeek posted:

If you absolutely insist on reading the books, the first three are pretty much the only ones that are campy terrible and therefore fun. They've got a certain awesome 80sness to them that...well let's just say if you devoured Sweet Valley High books as a kid, then what you're in for is Jessica Wakefield love triangulates a couple of medieval Bugle Boy models and then eats some people. Reading past that is like reading terrible Troper fanfiction that inexplicably got a real publisher (don't do that).

Even the first three aren't that good. They just get really really bad after that in a fan fiction bad way after that.

rainbow kittens
Jan 20, 2006

Pinwiz11 posted:

I fully expect the Silas is still around in the Other Side and Bonnie and Matt will have more than enough chance to interact with him in the upcoming episodes.

I wouldn't doubt that Silas will torture Bonnie somehow. After all, he won't get to be with Amara (as she was a human when she died, and all the other versions are doppelgangers, and therefore supernatural, while she is not).

Anyway, since Bonnie is both dead and undead (Schrodinger?!) and still a witch and probably pretty darn powerful, she should start resurrecting the other characters that were offed that don't want to be dead. Specifically, Alaric. Because <3 <3 <3

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
So tonight episode.. Watching Katherine all drunk and talking to Stefan really impressed me; Nina Dobrev is really quite the actress. I'd love to see her do bigger things.

Lucania
May 1, 2009
I think Bonnie said that she's not a witch anymore.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Lucania posted:

I think Bonnie said that she's not a witch anymore.

Her video message to her mother was a little ridiculous when you consider that it was clearly her first time talking to her mother since she died, and she made no mention of her father dying (and in fact seemed giddily happy).

Still upset we're probably not going to have any more Silas.

I think the scene with Elena and Jesse could have been done better, to make us really believe that what she did was necessary. In any other situation we'd just get the ol' headsnap and he'd have woken up a few hours later.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Shakugan posted:

Her video message to her mother was a little ridiculous when you consider that it was clearly her first time talking to her mother since she died, and she made no mention of her father dying (and in fact seemed giddily happy).

Her mother didn't know she died and all that stuff. She 'sent' her family emails all through the summer about being away on vacation and I'm assuming talked about her dad in those emails.

Also, I'm not a Bonnie fan but her hair cut is super cute. I'm actually kind of interested in this anchor deal.

Shakugan posted:

I think the scene with Elena and Jesse could have been done better, to make us really believe that what she did was necessary. In any other situation we'd just get the ol' headsnap and he'd have woken up a few hours later.

Of anyone on the show, Caroline has the most right to hate Damon but I feel like she's too judgmental on their relationship. She makes it sound like Elena is turning into a serial killer because she's dating Damon.

Pringles_School
Jul 24, 2013
I don't know why these shows keep telling me how much worse the guy is who has done some terrible things in the past, but even in that situation kept some traces of humanity than the guy who acts all boringly sweet while repressing the worst kind of serial killer/monster.

Going back since Buffy and I kinda wonder if this is a representation of the battered wife syndrom.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

A 10% levy on BAKED GOODS?!

Whole episode goes by and no comments for days. You're all Bonnies. All of you.

8 episodes into the season and Klaus finally does what he should've done in the first episode, just take it from Marcel who stood no chance. Davina not being there because of some stupid reason invalidated most of what we've seen as well.

It would also help if they ever managed to actually show any of these characters doing something other than plotting and scheming. Off hand I can remember one scene of Klaus and Elijah reading but that's it.

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012

Midnight City posted:

Whole episode goes by and no comments for days. You're all Bonnies. All of you.

8 episodes into the season and Klaus finally does what he should've done in the first episode, just take it from Marcel who stood no chance. Davina not being there because of some stupid reason invalidated most of what we've seen as well.

It would also help if they ever managed to actually show any of these characters doing something other than plotting and scheming. Off hand I can remember one scene of Klaus and Elijah reading but that's it.

So I just got around to watching the most recent Originals and I have complicated feelings.

On the one hand, it's cool to see Klaus go super smashy hardcore and take on all those little baby vampires. On the other hand: Why wait so long? Why not kill everyone who attacked him? Like the recurring nightwalker with the afro; dude should be dying of a bite! It just makes no sense for Klaus to get all forgive-y to all the folks who dared contest him.

The absence of Davina was also highly conspicuous; a huge faceoff against the big bad and Marcel didn't at least try talking to his trump card?

I like the show, but damned if I can guess where they're going to go from here.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Damiya posted:

I like the show, but damned if I can guess where they're going to go from here.

Yeah, it'll be interesting to see what comes next.

I actually think the writers have a rare opportunity here to tell a more ponderous dramatic story. Instead of the typical "protagonist struggles against antagonist" story we have Klaus who is a former antagonist himself and who is in many ways actually his own antagonist in his own story.

I kind of like the fact that Marcel never presented a real threat and that Klaus' real struggle is against his own inner demons and inability to form any kind of healthy or complex relationships with others, including his own family. It's kind of the perfect answer to "how do you create an antagonist for a character who's insanely powerful and can't be killed?" Instead of continuously scrambling to try and come up with ridiculous big bads that are ever more powerful to send Klaus up against they can make it a character piece wherein Klaus is his own worst enemy.

I don't know that we'll actually see anything like that beyond what we already have, though. They'll probably just bring in mysteriously absent teen witch to blow the gently caress out of everything.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 11:04 on Nov 28, 2013

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

In a lot of ways Klaus is the only believable immortal character I can think of off hand. So much years alive with a perfect memory and never being able to forget betrayals (both ones he commits and ones committed on him) leads to a superbly paranoid, psychotic person.

On the other hand it's not fun to watch for 3+ seasons (beginning on TVD). He's had no growth whatsoever in 75+ episodes of a TV show and it's just gotten boring as poo poo to me.

I can recognize that to be 'realistic' any growth of his has to start slow but this is a dumb teenage vampire show so I don't need realism, I need entertainment and it's dropping the ball big time on that front.

Ap0calyps3
May 14, 2009

Damiya posted:

On the one hand, it's cool to see Klaus go super smashy hardcore and take on all those little baby vampires. On the other hand: Why wait so long? Why not kill everyone who attacked him? Like the recurring nightwalker with the afro; dude should be dying of a bite! It just makes no sense for Klaus to get all forgive-y to all the folks who dared contest him.

I think regarding the baby vampires, he doesn't care enough to kill them. He knows they are all Marcels servants and friends, and probably feels that the extra bad blood that killing them would cause after Marcel submits is just not worth the hassle. Also, one of the reoccurring properties of Klaus' character is that he feels very lonely for various reasons, most if not all of them being his own fault. He is always looking for companionship, whether that be his family, Marcel or Stephan. As much as Klaus seems to enjoy killing, I think he does it purposefully to project his power. Once Marcel submitted, he had nothing to gain by continuing his onslaught. If he wanted, he could have slaughtered the whole state. I think he wants to rule over subjects instead of a graveyard though.

Ap0calyps3 fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Nov 28, 2013

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

I just don't know who I'm supposed to get behind in this show. Klaus is boring and evil as hell, Rebekkah and Elijah are just idiots. Haley is a prisoner plot device, Tyler has been in two episodes and was the bad guy?

Marcel should really be the main character.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Did anyone ever figure out why they couldn't just politely allow Silas and Imara to die? It seemed pretty ludicrous that they decided they needed to keep them alive and that it was supposed to be a source of tension. I didn't understand that plot at all. Just let them die.

Midnight City
Jun 3, 2013

Wezlar posted:

I just don't know who I'm supposed to get behind in this show. Klaus is boring and evil as hell, Rebekkah and Elijah are just idiots. Haley is a prisoner plot device, Tyler has been in two episodes and was the bad guy?

Marcel should really be the main character.

I don't either. People in the thread called it that Tyler would show up and try to hurt the baby but I didn't believe it because the show spent the last 4 seasons turning Tyler into a decent guy from the shitbag he started out as, only for him to show up as a psycho baby murderer. Sure Klaus killed his mom but the baby didn't do poo poo to him.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Did anyone ever figure out why they couldn't just politely allow Silas and Imara to die? It seemed pretty ludicrous that they decided they needed to keep them alive and that it was supposed to be a source of tension. I didn't understand that plot at all. Just let them die.

You could pay me a million bucks and I still wouldn't be able to tell you 75% of whatever that story line was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damiya
Jul 3, 2012
Yea the Silas arc was just utter rubbish. It's a shame you because he was well written and acted, but gently caress. If I know what that hot mess of plot was meant to be.

• Locked thread