Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

So what primary weapon do people like for the attack boats? I am leaning towards the 30mm cannon as opposed to the burst fire cannon or the default 25mm.

I'd be interested in people's thoughts on the 30mm as well, I tried it once today and the drop and bullet speed seemed super lovely. Was it just me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

So I haven't played this yet. I had a customer return the game and get ghosts instead because you couldn't have friends join your lobby, like I guess invite them into your lobby?

What's the deal with lobbies?

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So I haven't played this yet. I had a customer return the game and get ghosts instead because you couldn't have friends join your lobby, like I guess invite them into your lobby?

That is the dumbest reason to return this game.

funkmeister
Feb 20, 2010

About your father. If it's any help, he's in the ground now. Sure, it's bad news for him. But on the other hand, it's party time for all those little worms.
lovely reason to return the game.
But it is mysterious, and loving annoying that you can't 'squad up' and join like you could in BF3.
The only method is to click next to their name in battlelog. At least it will try to join their team/squad.

Someguy
Jul 15, 2001

by Lowtax

Ularg posted:

Thank you very much for the help. It's cool to see how I stack up. On BF4 stats I am the top 6% in level I think. On the goon leaderboard I am #21.

:getin:

Time to compete.

No problem, I got enough use out of the site while playing BF3 it was the least I could do for Beez (the site creator). One of the leaderboards I was always partial to was the Champions List which is somewhat hidden out of the way off the main page and aggregates all the categories a player is leading in. You're personally number 3 on the list too, while poster Sandweed is leading the pack by quite a large margin at the moment, though I'm sure that will change once more people sign in and put in more hours.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Playing a round earlier and my fps slams into single digits. Open up task manager to see that 97% of my 12gb is in use and the largest use is BF4 at 153mb. Something went wrong.

Smooth Willis
Jul 12, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

He's going to be pretty pissed when he realizes Ghosts is even more broken than this.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

You can have lobbies where people join on each other. This game is so much better for squads. My buddies and I quit BF3 pretty fast because we were constantly getting team balanced. In BF4 it moves pubbies out of our squad and just groups us together no problem, and so far no team balances.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Smooth Willis posted:

He's going to be pretty pissed when he realizes Ghosts is even more broken than this.

I believe Ghost is only broken on the pc.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Agrajag posted:

I believe Ghost is only broken on the pc.

66% success rate really isn't that good.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

GreenBuckanneer posted:

It is a console thing. If you want to play games with friends, you usually start a lobby, have your friends join it, then launch the game through the lobby. It should then place you into a match together. BF4 doesn't have a standard friend lobby system. Instead, it uses the system that the PC has where you join the server your friend is playing on and it attempts to automatically place you in the same squad. The lack of a lobby makes console players upset.

EDIT: I should point out that lobbies generally let you voice chat with your friends between matches. At least that is how CoD does it. I'm not entirely sure if I am correct, though, since my only experience with this is watching my brother play console games with his friend.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Smooth Willis posted:

Ironically, a guy I work with says that he doesn't really like ghosts that much and he's a huge COD guy.

His main complaint was that the maps were too big. I was like, "what doesn't cod have spawn points you can capture?" I don't play COD so I don't know what it's like, I figured all competitive fps games had those.

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
I need to spend more time as a gunner in tanks and IFVs.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

John Magnum posted:

I need to spend more time as a gunner in tanks and IFVs.

Hell I leveled up the attack gunboat to max just by riding the miniguns.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

drat had a run of like 2-3 games on KFS that ran flawlessly and I was pretty happy then I crash hard and now every time I join it crashes immediately.

John Magnum
Feb 10, 2013
I have a really hard time with miniguns, I'm bad enough at aiming without compensating for the motion of the boat or chopper. But ground vehicle gunner seats I can sort of handle. And it's easier for me to hop out and get some points for repairing if the driver is in Mumble.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

TontoCorazon posted:

drat had a run of like 2-3 games on KFS that ran flawlessly and I was pretty happy then I crash hard and now every time I join it crashes immediately.

Well you saved me some typing. Same here. Once as I was randomly running and once when I zoomed the tank cannon.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

mintskoal posted:

Well you saved me some typing. Same here. Once as I was randomly running and once when I zoomed the tank cannon.

poo poo was going good too. Smooth as butter and no lag then boom.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Do the boats just have a low number of points between upgrades? I got almost all of them in one round on Paracel with a 50% boost going.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Ironically, a guy I work with says that he doesn't really like ghosts that much and he's a huge COD guy.

His main complaint was that the maps were too big. I was like, "what doesn't cod have spawn points you can capture?" I don't play COD so I don't know what it's like, I figured all competitive fps games had those.

You're thinking of Domination. It's like bf4 but without squad spawning. You can flip and control predictable spawns.

Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

A BIG loving BLUNT posted:

SimCity all over again

Yeah I'm done with big name EA titles. It's clear that the new model is rushing games to market before they're stable so they can start the DLC cycle early enough to cram 5x$15 packs in before the next iteration of the game in a years time. We're two and a half weeks in and they've yet to fix a single major bug, but already they're breaking ground for the first DLC in two weeks time.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Record time to sound loop bug: While still loading level.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

So another bug the patch introduced was a delay between burst fire. Before you could spam click and it would come out smoothly as if you were doing full auto. Now it can jam or have a some lag between bursts like in early versions of BF3 before they fixed it. Truly one step forward, three steps back. RIP 93R

edit: Even though I unlocked all the new weapons, I haven't tried the any of the new weapons besides the MTAR, but it is pretty awesome. High ROF and it pulls slightly to the right since it doesn't appear to have any recoil to the left. Looks to be much better than the SIG553 and ACW-R for your high rof carbine needs. Anyone have any impressions of the other new weapons? I hear the L85 is nice and the L96 is probably just another mid tier sniper rifle. Anyone try the MP7 or RPK 74M?

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Nov 15, 2013

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Someguy posted:

No problem, I got enough use out of the site while playing BF3 it was the least I could do for Beez (the site creator). One of the leaderboards I was always partial to was the Champions List which is somewhat hidden out of the way off the main page and aggregates all the categories a player is leading in. You're personally number 3 on the list too, while poster Sandweed is leading the pack by quite a large margin at the moment, though I'm sure that will change once more people sign in and put in more hours.
Start grinding scrubs.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

So another bug the patch introduced was a delay between burst fire. Before you could spam click and it would come out smoothly as if you were doing full auto. Now it can jam or have a some lag between bursts like in early versions of BF3 before they fixed it. Truly one step forward, three steps back. RIP 93R

edit: Even though I unlocked all the new weapons, I haven't tried the any of the new weapons besides the MTAR, but it is pretty awesome. High ROF and it pulls slightly to the right since it doesn't appear to have any recoil to the left. Looks to be much better than the SIG553 and ACW-R for your high rof carbine needs. Anyone have any impressions of the other new weapons? I hear the L85 is nice and the L96 is probably just another mid tier sniper rifle. Anyone try the MP7 or RPK 74M?
The MTAR definitely rules & the new L85A2 is better than it was in BF3 - pretty drat ballin'. The RPK74 appears irrelevant with the presence of the newer model as it still has 48 bullets in a mag with no option to expand. I didn't use it much but I didn't see why you'd want to use it. And I actually liked the one in BF3 when it wasn't bugged to have 200 capacity.

Didn't unlock the MP7 yet and wondering if its hipfire will be as ridiculous this time around. Also I hope none of this weapon progress is wiped out because battlelog sure as hell doesn't appear to record it yet even though you get all the kills and unlocks in game.

TheRationalRedditor fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 15, 2013

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Does Battlefield 4 just feel laggy? It's not network latency but something else - I've unparked my cores, downloaded the AMD Beta Drivers, i5-2500, 8GB Ram and a R290 at 2560x1600 medium details yet it still feels slow?

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
So this patch has caused me to suffer a MASSIVE performance drop. I was running on Ultra absolutely flawlessly yesterday, but tonight I cant even play on High.

Is there some kind of config trick I need to do here? Apologies if it has been posted already.

Danthrax
Jul 11, 2006

I unlocked the L85 and the MTAR tonight, they're both pretty awesome and fairly easy to get. Also according to the battlefield goons site, I'm #1 for SKS kills for PC players (so far, I'm sure a lot of people haven't been added to the site yet). I loved that gun in BF3 and I'm happy it's still good in this game. I'm about 10k points away from unlocking the M39 EMR, interested to see how that performs.

It'll be nice when (if) the game stops bugging out/crashing every other round. It happens on Golmud on the goon server especially, I always get terrible performance on that map.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

DarkDobe posted:

So why the hell do my slams blow me up when I'm driving my own vehicle? I'm trying to slam-jihad, and it keeps resulting in spectacular suicides, sometimes multiple TK's. What am I doing wrong?
SLAM jihading is kinda... dangerous:

fromoutofnowhere
Mar 19, 2004

Enjoy it while you can.
Just throw mines on top of the slams and then when you get close to a tank, jump out. Huge explosion and everyone is dead. Happy times.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So how can Dice manage to make a patch that does literally the opposite of what it says it will? Like, how does that even work on a technical level?

Gish
Oct 18, 2000
War is peace.
Freedom is slavery
Ignorance is strength
I have such a love hate right now for BF. Shot thru a wall cause the the terrible netcode RAGE. Backdoor 10 guys. LOVE YOU LIKE A BROTHER. Then the server crashes and all the hard work is lost. RAGE. But it looks so pretty!
Oh and all those new blur effects they added apparently this patch. gently caress you dice.
I look forward to playing Battlefield 4 sometime soon. Maybe it'll get done in time for the holidays.....

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So how can Dice manage to make a patch that does literally the opposite of what it says it will? Like, how does that even work on a technical level?

I don't know. On one hand the game is amazing in so many ways when it is working on a technical level. On the other I don't think I'll buy premium until everything is completely ironed out. Map packs passed China Rising be damned.

Please DICE fix it because this game is great and I still have so much time played.

jane came by
Jun 29, 2013

by Fistgrrl
The game runs like crap.

My specs:

i5-4760k.
560ti.
8 gb memory.

I could run BF3 high with an average of 50 frames person second, and the game looked good. With BF4, no matter whether the setting is medium or high, it has lowish frame frates (average in the 30s or low 40s) but it's as if I'm running on the lowest settings. The game just looks inferior to BF3.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

jane came by posted:

The game runs like crap.

My specs:

i5-4760k.
560ti.
8 gb memory.

I could run BF3 high with an average of 50 frames person second, and the game looked good. With BF4, no matter whether the setting is medium or high, it has lowish frame frates (average in the 30s or low 40s) but it's as if I'm running on the lowest settings. The game just looks inferior to BF3.

It's nothing on your end man. Don't worry. In Beta there was a weird CPU bottleneck going on. Now on release that is still somewhat the case but all performance issues strictly rely with the Battlelog infrastructure. It's in DICE's hands to unfuck it.

I'm sure we'll all be okay after that. :glomp:

Edit:

At worst, if you are running Windows 7 the game will run better when Mantle is introduced. Not sure if it will help those of us who are Intel/Nvidia. Windows 8 is your other option.

My specs:

Core i7 920 @ 3.2GHz
Nvidia 660ti
12GB RAM

and I get 50-65 on ultra. Anything below Ultra I get 120.

Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Dice, man. They used to be "one step forward, two steps back" but now it's more like "one nervous sideshuffle, two grand-mal seizures".

washow
Dec 1, 2007

Here you go, op :toot:

jane came by posted:

The game runs like crap.

My specs:

i5-4760k.
560ti.
8 gb memory.

Same spec and I run 50 ish at medium high

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Glad I'm not the only one with performance problems - it's weird though - it doesn't feel like network or low fps - the game just isn't responsive?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I just got done playing and didn't see any of these blur effects people are talking about, is it a glitch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.

Tab8715 posted:

Glad I'm not the only one with performance problems - it's weird though - it doesn't feel like network or low fps - the game just isn't responsive?

Yeah, the netcode is probably to blame for that. I've hit people, watch them twitch and blood spurt out and get no hit marker. Do that a million times, a lot of when you should have killed him and then you don't because he has 1 hp.

Sometimes I've also noticed when you are in a fray of a huge firefight and reactively put your trigger down when someone jumps you it never feels like your gun is shooting. I guess it is since I lived but drat my brain was so focused on keeping my aim on him I never noticed my gun firing.

• Locked thread