Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Looks like the FCC has created their own speed test app. The app only tests mobile data and can run periodic background tests which it will send information to the FCC to check up on your carrier to see if they're being truthful. The background process can be turned off in-app. By default, the app only uses 100MB total on top of the manual scans you use.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/...ign%3DPlayboard

Obviously, this app is US only.

EDIT: It looks like it works in the UK, don't know if it sends any UK carrier information to them though. :v:

ThermoPhysical fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

So that's the FCC's stated purpose. What does the NSA get out of it? :cheers:

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
The 100MB of data is metadata on your 10-bit anime .mkv's.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ThermoPhysical posted:

EDIT: It looks like it works in the UK, don't know if it sends any UK carrier information to them though. :v:

It's being run in partnership with the company SamKnows that also mesures broadband performance in the UK with a fixed-line broadband survey (and which is assisting with the FCC's ongoing fixed-line broadband testing in the US).

This is their site for their existing UK stuff, I imagine they'll take any info from UK users and add it into their UK stuff: http://www.samknows.com/broadband/broadband_availability

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can
I've been using an FCC Whitebox with SamKnows on my broadband line for the past few years. It's a really cool service. I get email alerts from them each month telling me how my internet compares to what I'm being promised. I can login at any time and see the past days/weeks/months of speeds, latency, packet loss, etc. The first year they did it every ISP had something like 80% of their promised speeds. After 3 years almost every single ISP is delivering at LEAST 100% of their promised speeds, and most at 110-120%

Seeing that it's now available on Android is awesome. I hope this means we'll start seeing wireless ISPs living up to their promises.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Ashex posted:

I haven't used it by K-9 mail may work for you.

K-9 does not support Exchange ActiveSync so people who use Exchange 2010 servers are hosed - sadly my best option I've found due to lack of decent Exchange clients and the aforementioned Google push only working with the official client is to use Samsung Email (I have a Note 2, the Samsung Email client is basically the vanilla Android email with ActiveSync) for work and Gmail for everything else.

However if you're rooted and can install APKs, try the new Android 4.4 email client? It has ActiveSync support and a Gmail-style interface. I just switched to this and the only problem with it so far seems to be lack of push for gmail.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/10/31/apk-download-heres-the-default-email-app-from-android-4-4-with-gmail-style-ui-and-a-slide-out-menu/

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 14, 2013

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
AOSP email has supported ActiveSync for years. Since Froyo, at least, that's as far back as I go with Android.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Biggest issue with the built in email client is there's no device partitioning. The Exchange server will have admin over the whole phone for policy enforcement and that sucks in a BOYD situation.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Biggest issue with the built in email client is there's no device partitioning. The Exchange server will have admin over the whole phone for policy enforcement and that sucks in a BOYD situation.
This is only true if your exchange admin is a terrible person, you work for a company that hates its employees, or they has some legal mandate to protect the data or whatever.

Unfortunately that covers most companies.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Just stop being poor and buy Touchdown. It isn't the prettiest thing in the world but it works and it works well.

Spekkio
Sep 23, 2005

Really satisfying music!
Chrome's swipe-from-the-side to view other tabs has been changed to swipe-on-the-address-bar.

Doesn't look like there's any way to bring back the old functionality. Is it possible to uninstall Chrome and somehow install an older APK? If yes, where could I get it from?

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Spekkio posted:

Chrome's swipe-from-the-side to view other tabs has been changed to swipe-on-the-address-bar.

Doesn't look like there's any way to bring back the old functionality. Is it possible to uninstall Chrome and somehow install an older APK? If yes, where could I get it from?

They changed that in v30 weeks ago, it will be possible to install an older version, yes... just Google for v29

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rusty! posted:

They changed that in v30 weeks ago, it will be possible to install an older version, yes... just Google for v29
Also this is a terrible idea because you'll never get any future security or feature updates. Just deal with it, you'll get used to it after a few days. I actually prefer it.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Tunga posted:

Also this is a terrible idea because you'll never get any future security or feature updates. Just deal with it, you'll get used to it after a few days. I actually prefer it.

I vastly prefer it because it seems like the zones for tab switching were way too huge and I always switched tabs instead of scrolling horizontally.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Protocol7 posted:

I vastly prefer it because it seems like the zones for tab switching were way too huge and I always switched tabs instead of scrolling horizontally.
It was especially easy to do by accident on the Nexus 4 with its curved edge glass. I like it a lot better this way, too.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes

Spekkio posted:

I hated this 'feature'. Always I'd be panning a zoomed in page and accidentally switch tabs.

SeaWolf
Mar 7, 2008

suddenlyissoon posted:

Is there a decent all-in-one email client that handles push on both Exchange & Gmail and gives you a unified inbox? I guess I was spoiled on iOS.

I actually use the built in email client for all my exchange and gmail. I use these settings from way back in the old old iphone days in my gmail configuration to get it to push gmail to the email client. Works great! But like poster above said, it will require the security restrictions enabled on your phone. But for me, it's not a big deal

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

SeaWolf posted:

I actually use the built in email client for all my exchange and gmail. I use these settings from way back in the old old iphone days in my gmail configuration to get it to push gmail to the email client. Works great! But like poster above said, it will require the security restrictions enabled on your phone. But for me, it's not a big deal

I really like the guy's fruitless attempts at blurring out his email address.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Has anyone else had trouble with Survey Rewards? The first few worked great and got me some free money, but the last couple of times I've submitted my answers, I've gotten the message "There was a problem recording your answers. Don't worry, we'll save them and try to submit them later and credit your account." It's been a few days since the first time and I see no evidence that this has happened. Both times I was in an area with strong signal, so it's not like there was a network error.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Penguissimo posted:

Has anyone else had trouble with Survey Rewards? The first few worked great and got me some free money, but the last couple of times I've submitted my answers, I've gotten the message "There was a problem recording your answers. Don't worry, we'll save them and try to submit them later and credit your account." It's been a few days since the first time and I see no evidence that this has happened. Both times I was in an area with strong signal, so it's not like there was a network error.

It's been working fine for me, but I've only gotten two surveys so far.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Penguissimo posted:

This exact thing has happened to me. I banked $2 from my first rewards, but this last one I did just puked and my balance never updated. I finished it pretty fast, but it was like 8 questions and I answered everything truthfully.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

SeaWolf posted:

Google turned off ActiveSync support last year.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

They said they would but Microsoft flipped a bitch over it and Google extended that deadline.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
For Windows phones only. If you have it set up already it will work forever but if you ever have to set it up again it won't. So don't change your settings!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Penguissimo posted:

I haven't gotten anything since the test survey :(

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

hooah posted:

I thought I had "failed" when I was 90% sure I clicked the wrong number of stars, but I've gotten three so far. The first two got me $1 each, and the last one only got me $0.50, because I don't use AirBnB, so I only answered the first question.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Penguissimo posted:

After the first survey, I finally got another one this past week and, after reading this thread, I just got finished with one now.

Now I have $2.20. :v: Hooray.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

hooah posted:

Same here, guess we're not in the right demographic

FlyingCheese
Jan 17, 2007
OH THANK GOD!

I never thought I'd be happy to see yet another lubed up man-ass.
Same as well. I answered all the questions right and didn't fall for the trick question. Still no surveys. :(

Drunk Badger
Aug 27, 2012

Trained Drinking Badger
A Faithful Companion

Grimey Drawer
I only got 25 cents for saying I don't use airbnb :(

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Oh Google! I guess in a way it's encouraging to hear that things are just as chaotic and inexplicable as ever.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

DrBouvenstein posted:

I thought I had "failed" when I was 90% sure I clicked the wrong number of stars, but I've gotten three so far. The first two got me $1 each, and the last one only got me $0.50, because I don't use AirBnB, so I only answered the first question.

I got a full dollar for saying I don't buy premium bottled water (the choices were awful, I had to choose "Never, it's stupid to pay that much for bottled water" because it was the closest answer to "Never, I'm always near free water") and only 88 cents for doing a full survey about I-can't-remember-what.
I don't understand how they choose how much to give, the last one I got was 99 cents for a full survey about Netflix.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I've made 3 dollars this week you guys are all scrubs. I've done a survey about Obama, Netflix and I think Verizon.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Smeed posted:

I've made 3 dollars this week you guys are all scrubs. I've done a survey about Obama, Netflix and I think Verizon.

I've made four bucks. Something about electronics, general politics, Obama, something or the other.

Haven't had one longer than four easy questions either.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

datajosh posted:

Same here, guess we're not in the right demographic

This could be it, if you're answering questions like a non-target-consumer they might not care about your opinions

MrC
Jan 15, 2001

As Seen in Print!
I've had some interesting ones come through. Though I only got $.25 for saying buying premium bottled water is stupid.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Penguissimo posted:

This is all that's happened for me even on the test survey. Tried it five times and it never worked so I just uninstalled it. :(

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I assume I get surveys because I'm a white American male aged 18-45. :smug:

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

DrBouvenstein posted:

I assume I get surveys because I'm a white American male aged 18-45. :smug:
So am I so there goes your theory :911: :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

The first survey I had asked about my spending habits and it just so happened I'd bought a new computer that week so I probably look like some rich high roller.

• Locked thread