Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

DrNutt posted:

Sony's new controllers are back compatible? :aaaaa:

Yep! Only on certain games + you have to be wired and there's no vibration or motion controls. I've been playing lots of TPA and Jet Set Radio with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Tasteful Bulge posted:

Anyone going to the Southern Pinball Festival in Orlando the weekend of the 22nd-24th? Mark and Bowen from PAPATV are gonna be there and there will be a livestream of the tournament, plus Gary Stern's gonna be speaking there again.

I'm going to try to go on the 22nd. Which day is Gary Stern going to speak?

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

It's down to you and me, you one-eyed freak.

Luigi Thirty posted:

I'm going to try to go on the 22nd. Which day is Gary Stern going to speak?

The 23rd.

Max Peck posted:

I was thinking about heading to this for a day as well. Is there anything non-obvious that a relatively casual player ought to know about attending one of these?

Don't get too frustrated if you have a hard time finding a free table. Also, the qualifier cost for the tourney usually isn't that high, so it's worth it just to say you've played in a PAPA tournament qualifier.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

sethsez posted:

poo poo, if you're going it'd be great if you could bring your virtual cabinet. I've been wanting to build a mini cabinet for a while but the cost and work involved has kept me from doing it in case I find out the smaller size doesn't do it for me. And really, the more machines the better! Last year didn't have any virtual pins, which was a shame.

Hmmm, it's kinda a pain to transport and I'm not sure it's impressive enough to show off at a show, I'll think about it though. Hell if you ever wanted to check it out I'm in DeBary and as long as you can deal with 2 Great Danes who will sniff you to death you can stop by and check it out. :)

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Is the extra :10bux: for the pro version of PA Season 1 worth it? Probably not, especially because Champion Pub is taunting me all the way from Season 2, but maybe there's something about getting access to the operator's menu that makes it worth it that I haven't noticed.

Also wow, the postprocessing option makes the game look terrible on PC.

E4C85D38 fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Nov 14, 2013

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Picked up the new Retina iPad Mini yesterday. I'm guessing the fact that TPA menus are pretty messed up on the mini was already discussed right?

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

It's down to you and me, you one-eyed freak.

mattfl posted:

I'll think about it though.

You should get in touch with them first. Gary Stern is gonna be there, and he wasn't thrilled about seeing a bunch of unlicensed tables of theirs running on a virtual cab last time I was there. Check the site.. the contact used to be a dude named Spencer Carey, but I dunno if he's still the guy.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Any quick pros and cons for Attack from Mars/Genie and Champion Pub/Whirlwind? I grew up in the 90s, so I'm a big fan of DMD tables with crazy toys. I've played through all four of the tables extensively in trial mode, but that's not really enough to get a good handle on how a table plays. For reference, I'm a huge fan of Medieval Madness, but Bride of Pinbot got extremely stale after a while.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
Attack from Mars/MM/CP have a simalar flow of tempting you into fast as poo poo reactionary play, but are best played by catching and aiming your shots, and controlling the ball. Genie is fun, but kinda slow, and I don't really get the vibe from PA that I'm playing a fat rear end double wide. PAPA has great vids on most of the games your asking about, check them out.

http://papa.org/play/games/

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
I bit the bullet and purchased Season pack one last night on steam. Even though I own the tables on PS3 its totally worth it. I am doubling my normal scores in some cases as there is no flipper delay like I have on the PS3. For instance TZ is now enjoyable.

Good stuff.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
You're going to buy them all anyway. Resistance is futile.

ImPureAwesome
Sep 6, 2007

the king of the beach

insidius posted:

I bit the bullet and purchased Season pack one last night on steam. Even though I own the tables on PS3 its totally worth it. I am doubling my normal scores in some cases as there is no flipper delay like I have on the PS3. For instance TZ is now enjoyable.

Good stuff.

Yeah all my scores are way better over my iPad version as bumping on the thumbstick is soo much easier and reliable then trying to judge how high is a nudge versus flipping a f;ipper

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Lester Shy posted:

Any quick pros and cons for Attack from Mars/Genie and Champion Pub/Whirlwind?

Champion Pub is really cool, but mostly for how well they hid the "pinball" aspect of the table behind the unique gimmick which is basically PunchOut with flippers and a ball. Once you get beyond the gimmick, the table itself is kind of basic. It's challenging, but the challenge mainly comes from the fact that there's a great big obstruction in the center of the table that effectively blocks all but the most precise shots to the ramps and loops (and the paths are really narrow).

It's good, but I'm mediocre at pinball on the best of days and I can barely scrape by the first fight.

On the subject of Whirlwind... what made that table so popular? I know that the real machine had the fan gimmick, but the PA version is just underwhelming and I don't really "get" it. It has a very familiar feel to it, like it's similar to other Williams machines but stripped of anything unique or engaging. Unless there's some deep gameplay buried under the surface I don't understand it.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!

Eegah posted:

You're going to buy them all anyway. Resistance is futile.

I can convince myself its ok by pretending cabinet support is something that will actually happen and I will cut down on buying physical machines.

Its right around the corner!

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

E4C85D38 posted:

Is the extra :10bux: for the pro version of PA Season 1 worth it? Probably not, especially because Champion Pub is taunting me all the way from Season 2, but maybe there's something about getting access to the operator's menu that makes it worth it that I haven't noticed.

I don't see the point in having the Pro version. Unless you want to change the rules around or something it's not worth it. I've got all the tables and never felt the need to tweak the games. Just buy more tables.

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006

King Vidiot posted:

On the subject of Whirlwind... what made that table so popular?

Its hard to capture the feeling in a video game, but throwing a ball and having it fly off randomly on those discs is a fun gimmick. I can't wait for Fireball. Or non Gottlieb games in general.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

gypsyshred posted:

Its hard to capture the feeling in a video game, but throwing a ball and having it fly off randomly on those discs is a fun gimmick. I can't wait for Fireball. Or non Gottlieb games in general.

Doesn't it also have a fan that blows onto the player during multiball?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

gypsyshred posted:

Yeah, the rotating discs are a neat feature during the multiball, but otherwise it's just really plain. I think most of the appeal of the game came from the fan, which I've heard would actually blow really hard. I've never played the game in person before.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
Whirlwind is popular because, like many Lawlor games, it's much more than the sum of its parts. It has a great art package, a great shot layout (the design was ultimately reused a bunch of times - see: Jurassic Park), fun rules, music, and then the fan was the cherry on top. When I was a kid and that turned on for the first time it was really exciting.

In comparison to a 90s DMD game or even Funhouse it doesn't have too much going on, though.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I really like Whirlwind but can't stand Championship Pub because it's such a drain monster. To each their own I guess :shobon:

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Whirlwind is a relic of its time. It was a deep (for the time) and interesting table with an cool theme and a nice gimmick with the fan. It was ultimately overshadowed by better tables, but it laid the groundwork for those tables.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

There've been a lot of questions in here about how tilt works on TPA. I was browsing through the pro menu options on TNG and found a tilt meter option, which makes things a little more clear.

Basically, every nudge makes the meter climb a bit, and it immediately starts falling again, emptying in a second or two. One or two nudges likely won't reach the tilt limit on that meter. If you do hit the limit, you'll trigger either a warning or a tilt, depending on the settings of the table - for instance, TNG's TPA settings give you two warnings before Worf calls you a dishonorable player and tilts you. From my testing it didn't look like the warnings reset after any time period, only between balls.

This was all on the iPhone version, not sure if versions with analog nudging might allow a warning/tilt on one hard nudge.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
This is SO much better on PC.

Just pulled 2.4 Billion on a rather relaxed game of TZ. It just feels...better.

Cabinet support would really complete the setup I think.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Werthog 95 posted:

There've been a lot of questions in here about how tilt works on TPA. I was browsing through the pro menu options on TNG and found a tilt meter option, which makes things a little more clear.

Basically, every nudge makes the meter climb a bit, and it immediately starts falling again, emptying in a second or two. One or two nudges likely won't reach the tilt limit on that meter. If you do hit the limit, you'll trigger either a warning or a tilt, depending on the settings of the table - for instance, TNG's TPA settings give you two warnings before Worf calls you a dishonorable player and tilts you. From my testing it didn't look like the warnings reset after any time period, only between balls.

This was all on the iPhone version, not sure if versions with analog nudging might allow a warning/tilt on one hard nudge.

It's actually worse than that. On the PC "analog" nudging you only have one nudge strength and it sometimes tilts EM machines outright on the first shove. I'm hoping they fix that soon. Thanks for the info on that tilt meter thing though. I'll go play around with it a bit and see if I can't figure out why it is so broken.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

Werthog 95 posted:

Ok, nice. I would usually hold the ball after a shove, so it's good to have confirmation that actually does something.

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
Have the table or season packs ever gone on sale for the PS3 version of PBA?

Nurge posted:

It's actually worse than that. On the PC "analog" nudging you only have one nudge strength and it sometimes tilts EM machines outright on the first shove. I'm hoping they fix that soon. Thanks for the info on that tilt meter thing though. I'll go play around with it a bit and see if I can't figure out why it is so broken.

I didn't play the PC version that much, but it felt like nudging basically didn't change where the ball was going at all. On PS3, I just do a quick flick of the stick, and that's been enough for me v:v:v

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Still haven't beaten Medieval Madness, but have now lost the Battle for the Kingdom twice in one game. Because pinball hates me.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Bovineicide posted:

Have the table or season packs ever gone on sale for the PS3 version of PBA?

I didn't play the PC version that much, but it felt like nudging basically didn't change where the ball was going at all. On PS3, I just do a quick flick of the stick, and that's been enough for me v:v:v

Dunno I get good use out of nudging on PC too, it's just that there's no way to control how much you apply. On a related note I tested a bunch of stuff with the pro table tilt meter on today and came to the conclusion that in addition to other nudge wonkery currently trying to do diagonal nudges will actually function as if you nudged sideways and then nudged up or down in quick succession. This means a diagonal nudge is exceedingly likely to warn or tilt you. I turned my left thumbstick y-axis off on my gamepad till they fix that and that helped a bit.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

Nurge posted:

Dunno I get good use out of nudging on PC too, it's just that there's no way to control how much you apply. On a related note I tested a bunch of stuff with the pro table tilt meter on today and came to the conclusion that in addition to other nudge wonkery currently trying to do diagonal nudges will actually function as if you nudged sideways and then nudged up or down in quick succession. This means a diagonal nudge is exceedingly likely to warn or tilt you. I turned my left thumbstick y-axis off on my gamepad till they fix that and that helped a bit.

Oh thank goodness, I thought this was just me.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Wow pinball arcade on an iPad Air with the latest ios patch seems to have the same menu issues as reported for the new minis. I think it can be playable but it's really strange.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Man I didn't really know what you guys meant w/r/t nudging on the Steam version until I tried to get the Wizard goals for Big Shot. I've never tilted so loving much playing this drat game. It's way more frustrating than it was on the PS3.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Ultimate Mango posted:

Wow pinball arcade on an iPad Air with the latest ios patch seems to have the same menu issues as reported for the new minis. I think it can be playable but it's really strange.

This is what it does on a mini.

insidius
Jul 21, 2009

What a guy!
I was playing black knight earlier and this might not be news to people here but I shot the ball up the ramp and right off the table.

On another note I went out for my birthday tonight, fancy meal, drinks etc. Ended up in this arcade and blew all my money on TZ and laser tag.

The guy took me out back to his storage and he showed me the STTNG machine he has waiting to go in. Swwaaeet.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

mattfl posted:

This is what it does on a mini.

Yup, same thing on an Air. At least the pinball part can be played. Little fast coming from a New iPad though.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Diagonal tilting on the PC is the worst. Pressing, say, up and left tilt at the same time will interpret that as a full strength tilt left and a full strength tilt up, somehow resulting in a diagonal shove that's double full strength. This has a tendency to tilt the table.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
I'm so happy I made a collage like a 12 year old girl. Pinball scrapbooking, ya'll.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!

E4C85D38 posted:

Diagonal tilting on the PC is the worst. Pressing, say, up and left tilt at the same time will interpret that as a full strength tilt left and a full strength tilt up, somehow resulting in a diagonal shove that's double full strength. This has a tendency to tilt the table.

I'm tempted to say this is due to Farsight somehow botching the way the PC version interprets controller input, resulting in analog nudging that acts like the player is using WASD.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
They did the same thing earlier this year when they overhauled iPad nudging. Probably best to just disable one direction if possible, or move it to the other stick.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

I pretty much try to limit my nudges in PA for PC. I'll only nudge for keeping a ball alive, maybe to increase my hits on the jet bumpers, and that's usually all just left or right. I may occasionally nudge backward to give a little extra forward momentum if I want to go up a steep ramp or make a skill shot (like in Medieval Madness where you just have a plunge button and the ball doesn't always make it to the skill shot).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

King Vidiot posted:

I pretty much try to limit my nudges in PA for PC. I'll only nudge for keeping a ball alive, maybe to increase my hits on the jet bumpers, and that's usually all just left or right. I may occasionally nudge backward to give a little extra forward momentum if I want to go up a steep ramp or make a skill shot (like in Medieval Madness where you just have a plunge button and the ball doesn't always make it to the skill shot).

This is fine on modern tables. With some EMs you pretty much have to nudge for scoring and you also don't even get warnings so it's just a crap hand there all around.