Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

big mean giraffe posted:

Cell phone screens are ridiculous grease magnets too, and I've seen more than my fair share of scratched cell phone screens on modern phones. If you are worried about it at all, just put a screen protector on it and don't listen to the ultra-nerds.

The glass on most phones has an oleophobic coating which will greatly reduce fingerprints until it wears off so there is something to not using a screen protector. that being said you can buy screen protectors with the same coating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Don Lapre posted:

The glass on most phones has an oleophobic coating which will greatly reduce fingerprints until it wears off so there is something to not using a screen protector. that being said you can buy screen protectors with the same coating.

Like you said, not only does that wear off, but it can also scratch independent of the glass (and more easily) and temporarily leave you with annoying scratches on your screen.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

big mean giraffe posted:

Like you said, not only does that wear off, but it can also scratch independent of the glass (and more easily) and temporarily leave you with annoying scratches on your screen.

Fortunately it's a lot cheaper and easier to replace than the glass itself, which unless you actually put in a pocket with change and keys ... will not scratch. I have never and not once seen a screen protector that even feels remotely as silky smooth to use as the glass screen itself.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

If you carelessly toss your phone into a purse or bro-bag with your keys and change, get a screen protector.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

hooah posted:

I've been using CyanogenMod for so long that I can't remember if what I'm looking for is even in stock - is there a way to prevent the phone from waking up when I unplug it?

So you're implying there's a way to do this in CM? I can't find it, I hate the screen coming on when plugging or unplugging.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.
UK gadgetgoons: I walked into a Carphone Warehouse today with the intention of buying a Nexus5, but apparently they're only selling them with contracts now. Do you know of any other place that will sell them at the same price as Google? On the same note, to anyone who has ordered a N5 from google in the UK in the past few days - how long of a shipping ETA did you receive/actually get?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Vin BioEthanol posted:

So you're implying there's a way to do this in CM? I can't find it, I hate the screen coming on when plugging or unplugging.
Yes there is but I don't have it installed to direct you to where it is.

Grim Up North
Dec 12, 2011

LastInLine posted:

Yes there is but I don't have it installed to direct you to where it is.

The option is in the display section of the settings.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

FogHelmut posted:

If you carelessly toss your phone into a purse or bro-bag with your keys and change, get a screen protector.

Or plan on taking your phone anywhere near a beach or putting it in the pocket of the pants you wore there.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Grim Up North posted:

The option is in the display section of the settings.

Huh, maybe it's a 10.2 thing, I'm on a 10.1 stable, that's the 1st place I looked.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

big mean giraffe posted:

Or plan on taking your phone anywhere near a beach or putting it in the pocket of the pants you wore there.

I would be worried more about the ports in that case, so you should probably have the whole thing ziplocked.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

I put my old Nexus S 4G into a pocket and it ended up with some nice oleophobic scratches. The pocket had nothing in it.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

ThermoPhysical posted:

I put my old Nexus S 4G into a pocket and it ended up with some nice oleophobic scratches. The pocket had nothing in it.
You can replace the coating.

FogHelmut posted:

It might get scratched in a purse or bag, but it's not the keys and change doing the scratching.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

That's pretty awesome, hopefully that comes down in price over the next few years.

Long Francesco
Jun 3, 2005
I used that stuff and it really doesn't last all that long, maybe 2 months at most before it wears off in spots and then you're worse off than before you put it on. Waste of 25 bucks.

I got one of those fancy rear end glass screen protectors that cost ~$15 and it's better than the stock glass. Dropped my phone on the screen from a few feet up onto an air compressor and it just bounced off without a scratch.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

big mean giraffe posted:

That's pretty awesome, hopefully that comes down in price over the next few years.
Possibly. I think that's the only company selling something like that right now. You can also use it after something like this to remove scratches (and the coating) and then reapply the coating to get a screen close to what it was from the factory. I haven't personally used either, but I kind of wish I'd tried it on the back glass of my Nexus 4.

Long Francesco posted:

I used that stuff and it really doesn't last all that long, maybe 2 months at most before it wears off in spots and then you're worse off than before you put it on. Waste of 25 bucks.
Dang.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

What about RainX? That stuff is not expensive.

crazkylo
Dec 20, 2008

Set the world aflame!
I guess I'll skip on a protector then. I was worried about small scratches that came from normal usage on my old phones.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

crazkylo posted:

I guess I'll skip on a protector then. I was worried about small scratches that came from normal usage on my old phones.

Put a screen protector on. They're cheap, and as mush as goons say otherwise it doesn't detract from using the screen.

Plus then your can your phone for a profit in a year since there are no scratches on the coating

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Never used a protector, never got a scratch. I choose not to go with a less enjoyable screen experience.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
you probably sit at a desk all day

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

CloFan posted:

Put a screen protector on. They're cheap, and as mush as goons say otherwise it doesn't detract from using the screen.
Where are you getting these cheap ones that don't catch your finger or put a horrible rainbow sheen on the screen?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

You just described the whole thread.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Where are you getting these cheap ones that don't catch your finger or put a horrible rainbow sheen on the screen?

Seidio has a nice one for the Nexus 4. :v:

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Mu Zeta posted:

I say no screen protector and no case either. Cases are for the careless.

Cases are a different thing; I couldn't stand the N4 without one as it'd slide off everything in sight, and was weird to hold.

I got a Nillikin case to start, then changed to just a matte dbrand skin on the rear glass to prevent sliding (and let me use my car dock).

N5 is fine without one however.

Never used a screen protector, they're pointless garbage.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I hate you fuckers.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I always use a case, because the parts of the back of the phone that make contact with a desk/table/etc will wear and scratch over a long period of time. Also Diztronic makes incredible cases that feel better than the phone itself often.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Here's my screen protector: http://www.kingsizedirect.com/large...=0&StyleNo=5175 the integrated elastic makes all the difference in the world.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
So my N4 bumper just cracked (that little area around the USB socket). What's a good low profile thing I can get for the N4 for a few months before I finally crack myself and get a N5?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

api call girl posted:

So my N4 bumper just cracked (that little area around the USB socket). What's a good low profile thing I can get for the N4 for a few months before I finally crack myself and get a N5?

Diztronic

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

api call girl posted:

Diztronic or for even lower profile, this hard plastic one is also good. It offers very little protection, but protects the back and keeps the screen off the surface if you lay it face down.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

The Diztronic TPU case might as well be OEM equipment, they did a really nice job on it

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
I've had a flick through the thread, and I can't see much (possibly any) mention of Sony phones. Are they not very widely available in the US, or is there something unpleasant about them that we should be wary of? I've taken delivery of one of these today: http://www.sonymobile.com/global-en/products/phones/xperia-z1/

Couldn't resist that screen or that camera, and although I'm not planning to dunk mine in a pint of beer as a party trick, the waterproof rating hints at a pretty high level of build quality. Wasn't cheap, but came out slightly cheaper than the Samsung S4 that I'd also considered.

First impressions are pretty good - beautifully put together, and a screen that ranges from gloriously bright to loving tanning lamp. The bundled software isn't obnoxious. Didn't like being prompted to set up a paid account for a music download service, particularly as it seemed to be integrated into the Walkman player software, but the service uninstalled itself very neatly when asked.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Sony doesn't really market much in the US.

The xperia line is half way decent these days.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Sony doesn't really market much in the US.

The xperia line is half way decent these days.

If they could only make the displays as nice as they advertise.

A common criticism of the latest Sony phones has been the quality of the screen relative to other flagships.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Hadlock posted:

The Diztronic TPU case might as well be OEM equipment, they did a really nice job on it

Eh I thought the Diztronic on the N4 kind of sucked
- Scratches the poo poo out of the plastic bezel
- Makes the power button almost impossible to hit

Now both of these things are more general problems with the N4, but that particular case definitely makes them far worse

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I got this one for my HTC One.

Fits perfectly across the whole actual "screen" area. I never "catch" my finger on an edge, and I don't notice ANY reduction in screen quality. If I didn't tell people I had a screen protector on there, they don't realize it's there, including my friend that also has a One, so is familiar with how the screen should look and feel.

Even me knowing it's there, I can barely see the line for the edge of the protecot on the top and bottom of the screen...and I can't see it at all on the edge, since it is drat near perfect as can be and goes right up to the bevel/raised edge.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
I figure the average lifespan of a phone is a about two years and in that time any scratches or nicks are just part of the game. Cases and screen protectors are like wearing a rubber to jerk off. Its just unnecessary and doesn't feel very good.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

dissss posted:

Eh I thought the Diztronic on the N4 kind of sucked
- Scratches the poo poo out of the plastic bezel
- Makes the power button almost impossible to hit

Now both of these things are more general problems with the N4, but that particular case definitely makes them far worse

Sounds like yours had a poor. It should be fairly tight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

IIRC there were 2-3 revisions of the N4 TPU case, whatever version I bought in August 2013 worked great.

• Locked thread