Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeez
May 28, 2012
Ooh, that'd be awesome. This site: http://www.buymytronics.com/Game-Console/Nintendo/Nintendo-3DS-Handheld made me think Gamestop was going to only give me like $20 for it, but this has given me hope since Gamestop is easily the most convenient way for trading it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Astro Nut posted:

On another note, goons! As the holidays are gonna be upon us by next month, I need some advice on what might be a good but unexpected 3DS to get one's younger sibling. Discounting Pokemon X because she's made it rather clear on how she wants that one.

Hakuoki: Memories of the Shinsengumi.

... Or is that too unexpected?

gameface
Nov 23, 2007
I went over to a McDonald's to grab a snack and when I got home, I was greeted with a blue light on my 3DS. Apparently Nintendo Zone has a new plaza gold pants Mii being given out right now. Turns out it's Jamie Anderson, a US Olympian for the upcoming Sochi games. Seems like the gold pants bonuses are more or less the same, except Jamie is light green instead of dark green like the last 6 or so were. At least it's a nice way to get more of the Pokemon X/Y pink puzzle pieces out there.
Here's a picture I took of her in my plaza:

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I was told by an employee that GameStop is doing "get an additional 90% trade in" for systems starting tomorrow so that might be worth checking out.

Are you sure that the employee wasn't referring to the PS4 trade in special from last week?

Star Guarded
Feb 10, 2008

gameface posted:

I went over to a McDonald's to grab a snack and when I got home, I was greeted with a blue light on my 3DS. Apparently Nintendo Zone has a new plaza gold pants Mii being given out right now. Turns out it's Jamie Anderson, a US Olympian for the upcoming Sochi games. Seems like the gold pants bonuses are more or less the same, except Jamie is light green instead of dark green like the last 6 or so were. At least it's a nice way to get more of the Pokemon X/Y pink puzzle pieces out there.
Here's a picture I took of her in my plaza:

Thanks for the heads up. I have a similar question about the relays ... weren't they supposed to be updated to give you 5-6 streetpasses at a time in late October? I walked by a McDonalds yesterday and only got one streetpass from it.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

lelandjs posted:

Are you sure that the employee wasn't referring to the PS4 trade in special from last week?

He said it was for the week leading up the the Xbone release, but tomorrow is Sunday so we'll see if he was being honest or just telling me BS. Which would be strange as I was totally prepared to trade in my old system right then so making me wait a few days for no reason would be odd but it is GameStop so yeah.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Beeez posted:

The title of the thread seems to imply the first part of my question has already been answered loads of times, but the second part is, what's the best place to trade in an original 3DS? It's so old it doesn't even come preloaded with the eShop, but I didn't play it a ton so it's still in good condition.

Black OG 3DS low price used on Amazon is $133. Subtract around $10-12 for their cut.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

He said it was for the week leading up the the Xbone release, but tomorrow is Sunday so we'll see if he was being honest or just telling me BS. Which would be strange as I was totally prepared to trade in my old system right then so making me wait a few days for no reason would be odd but it is GameStop so yeah.

Don't get me wrong; I hope he was right because if I can get an extra 90% on my 3DS XL I will trade it in for a 2DS in a second.

NoonOwl
Aug 6, 2004
If I don't think does that mean I don't exist?

Rexroom posted:

Has anyone played this? I've been jonesing for a new visual novel, so I was thinking about picking it up.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

NoonOwl posted:

Has anyone played this? I've been jonesing for a new visual novel, so I was thinking about picking it up.

I played the PSP version and liked it, just don't expect anything but a straight up VN, and be aware it's an otome game.

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Star Guarded posted:

Thanks for the heads up. I have a similar question about the relays ... weren't they supposed to be updated to give you 5-6 streetpasses at a time in late October? I walked by a McDonalds yesterday and only got one streetpass from it.

I think it will streetpass you with the last 5/6 people that walked by that relay. Went to all 5 mcdonalds in my town that have the Nintendo Zones set up, didn't get a single streetpass. I guess people in lower Alabama like to keep their 3DSes at home

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I'm in Montgomery, every Starbucks or McDonalds I go by I generally get at least four, usually five. Except the one by my work in the rear end end of nowhere.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Any recommendations for a sd card that's over 4 gigs ?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dirt Taco Scuba posted:

Any recommendations for a sd card that's over 4 gigs ?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002G12OBO/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the one I use. Works great, only $20.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I asked this question before but I forgot.

I bought a 3DS XL from a kid, and he has Super Mario 3D Land on it.

If I do a system restore, will i lose that but be able to redownload it? How do I basically wipe all his settings and stuff off/clean slate but keep that game?

Diamond Joe Biden
Dec 29, 2009

by Cowcaster

rear end Catchcum posted:

I asked this question before but I forgot.

I bought a 3DS XL from a kid, and he has Super Mario 3D Land on it.

If I do a system restore, will i lose that but be able to redownload it? How do I basically wipe all his settings and stuff off/clean slate but keep that game?

As long as nothing's locked behind parental control, you should just be able to manually change his settings, mii, etc to your liking. A system wipe would get rid of everything, meaning that you wouldn't be able to re download the game.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
It says I can't delete his personal Mii

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

It says I can't delete his personal Mii

Just completely change it to be yours?

Diamond Joe Biden
Dec 29, 2009

by Cowcaster
You could also probably change which Mii is used as the personal Mii. If it's not in the Mii Maker settings it's probably in the Streetpass area settings.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
If i go into the store will his cc info be there? if i buy stuff with my cc will he be able to get that info at all?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Diamond Joe Biden posted:

As long as nothing's locked behind parental control, you should just be able to manually change his settings, mii, etc to your liking. A system wipe would get rid of everything, meaning that you wouldn't be able to re download the game.

Wiping the system doesnt hurt your ability to redownload games. To wipe the eshop account you have to get into your account settings in the shop itself.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Should I wipe his e-shop account?

Basically as a new owner what should I be wiping? Does it even matter?

SgtKirby
Nov 19, 2012

If i go into the store will his cc info be there? if i buy stuff with my cc will he be able to get that info at all?

Yes, if it's saved. Nope, it is tied to the system, plus if you save your CC info, it ask you to make a password for that info to prevent "accident" purchase. And it has a 3 strike system where it delete that info if you got the password wrong and you have to reenter your CC info again.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Should I wipe his e-shop account?

Basically as a new owner what should I be wiping? Does it even matter?

Wipe the system memory if you really want to start from scratch, but DONT wipe the eshop account. No reason to throw away a free game.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
CC info is stored behind a password and can only be accessed from that 3DS, and entering the wrong password once will wipe it. There's no way to retrieve it even if you do have the password, and only one CC can be associated with the 3DS at a time.

One thing to note will be that you *will* want to change the associated Club Nintendo account for that 3DS-- it doesn't have any effect on the games you own, which are tied to the system itself, but any games you buy going forward from the e-Shop will glean Nintendo points for whatever CN account the hardware is pointing to.

Yes, Nintendo's account system is still retarded as all hell.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Rexroom posted:

I hadn't heard of this before, but are they seriously releasing a game based around the Shinsengumi outside of Japan? That's loving awesome, I hope it comes to Europe as well.

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Hakkesshu posted:

I hadn't heard of this before, but are they seriously releasing a game based around the Shinsengumi outside of Japan? That's loving awesome, I hope it comes to Europe as well.

It' already out in Europe.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

HerraS posted:

It' already out in Europe.

Jesus christ! Is it actually any good?

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Hakkesshu posted:

Jesus christ! Is it actually any good?

My first impression was that of a sceevy samurai-vampire boy harem dating sim.
There was an lp of a previous game if you want to check it out.

And More fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Nov 17, 2013

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

And More posted:

My first impression was that of a sceevy samurai-vampire boy harem dating sim.
There was an lp of it if you want to check it out.

That LP is of a completely different Hakuoki game that only got released on the PSP.

Yes, theres like a gazillion Hakuoki games out there.

[edit]: After some searching it might actually be the same game with extra story bits added? Or something? hosed if I know.

HerraS fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Nov 17, 2013

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Yeah, I realised it after replying and changed it quickly, sorry.

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!

lelandjs posted:

Don't get me wrong; I hope he was right because if I can get an extra 90% on my 3DS XL I will trade it in for a 2DS in a second.

They are doing it two weeks in a row, yes. It's for Sunday only (the day of the week where they close early), so make sure you don't dawdle on it.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
I realized today how inconsistent/buggy streetpasses are when I took my partner's 2DS with me so I could get him some. When I brought it home, even though I had been in a room with 5 other 3DSes for a few hours, his console had 7 streetpasses and I had 3. Is this common? Does the 3DS just flat-out refuse to streetpass sometimes?

For the record, we were both suspended on the home screen and fully charged so there wasn't really anything blocking my 3DS from streetpassing.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama
In Fire Emblem, is there a way to see in the middle of a battle who a character has compatibility potential with? (That is, hasn't yet achieved C rank.)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Draile posted:

In Fire Emblem, is there a way to see in the middle of a battle who a character has compatibility potential with? (That is, hasn't yet achieved C rank.)

When you select your unit, surrounding units that have support ranks with them will have an indicator above their head, 'C', 'B', etc. So, if you select a unit and a nearby unit has nothing over their head, it means they don't have any support ranks yet. Keep in mind that not every unit can support with everyone else, but it's a good place to start if you're already in the middle of a battle!

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Draile posted:

Pretty sure there isn't but it's easy to remember who can pair with whom for the most part. All women can pair with all men and vice versa, with the exception of Sumia and Chrom who have limited pairings. The same sex pairings are limited and you'll need to look and plan those out I guess.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
If you put them next to each other /pair them up and a heart pops up after a round of combat they can support.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Draile posted:

Just plan out your support plan for the map at the start when you have access to the support option.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Hakkesshu posted:

Not only that, I hear Red Star Games made a pact with Idea Factory to publish further sequels to the West.

Which raises the question: Where are the non-reverse harem games? This is discrimination! :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

robodex posted:

I realized today how inconsistent/buggy streetpasses are when I took my partner's 2DS with me so I could get him some. When I brought it home, even though I had been in a room with 5 other 3DSes for a few hours, his console had 7 streetpasses and I had 3. Is this common? Does the 3DS just flat-out refuse to streetpass sometimes?

For the record, we were both suspended on the home screen and fully charged so there wasn't really anything blocking my 3DS from streetpassing.

If you're carrying around two 3DS systems for the purposes of streetpassing one tends to get the majority of them if you're getting them off of systems that aren't sticking around or get filled up at that moment by one of your systems.

• Locked thread