Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
Sorry if this has already been asked and answered: the zombie that Zoe killed with her power word a was Axe Man, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

MadSparkle posted:

but it would seem there would be more of them...unless this is a blood lineage thing, which would make more sense, because it would be about the blood line becoming more diluted and so you really do have more half-or-quarter blood witches assimilating into society. It's only natural. But I guess that would change the plot entirely.

In the beginning of the first episode Zoe's mother mentions that witchcraft runs in their family so it is a blood lineage thing.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

MadSparkle posted:

Which leads me to the next question, having to do in general with the number of witches around, and how Zoe was talking about it...obviously one of the main culprits is Cordelia's husband, witch hunter for hire. He's taken out, what, 5 witches or something ? I'm curious about the times in general, how the numbers have dwindled over the ages, and with the scene showing the young Moira witch, I wonder how many witches have simply tried to assimilate themselves into society as she tried to do, to make the house as it is, not really a place for learning as much as a sanctuary for the few remaining. Which is strange if you think of it. Society itself was less accepting back then of something like witchcraft, so a sanctuary would be considered more realistic than a school back then (the comment about wanting a husband and to be normal from the young witch redhead seemed so weird to me in this day, maybe 50 years ago, but to see her saying it now felt a little unbelievable to me) . The reverse, now, would be likely, however. Hell, I could even imagine a blog about it, it could be, like, a thing, a movement. You know all kinds of people would be wanting to join, even auditioning or something for America's Next Supreme. It just seems the numbers are a little backwards for these times. Fiona talks about witches getting killed more and more etc., but it would seem there would be more of them...unless this is a blood lineage thing, which would make more sense, because it would be about the blood line becoming more diluted and so you really do have more half-or-quarter blood witches assimilating into society. It's only natural. But I guess that would change the plot entirely.

Cordelia said in the premiere, I think, that a lot of women with known witch heritage have outright refused to have kids and it's causing some of their lines to die out entirely. Add onto that witch hunters and situations like what happened to Misty, and it's probably not hard to see why there's only a handful of openly witchy witches left roaming the country. I think it's probably just a background thing that you have to take at face value -- Cordelia says it's not safe for them to be open about their powers, so that's just the setting that we're dealing with.

Marie Laveau seems to be more like what you're talking about -- an open secret in New Orleans. Her salon staff certainly knows exactly who she is and what she's capable of, and people seem to flock to her because she 'grants wishes' or whatever.

Chekans 3 16
Jan 2, 2012

No Resetti.
No Continues.

Grimey Drawer

Trabant posted:

Sorry if this has already been asked and answered: the zombie that Zoe killed with her power word a was Axe Man, right?

I don't think so, I think Laveau's spell only made zombies out of people who were hung. The noose was part of the spell as she cast it.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Chekans 3 16 posted:

I don't think so, I think Laveau's spell only made zombies out of people who were hung. The noose was part of the spell as she cast it.

Yeah she pulls out specific props that are tied to each zombie (or group of zombies) that she raises, like the pearls for flapper-zombie.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

zVxTeflon posted:

Hope Stevie Misty and Nan create their own coven and everyone else burns.

I want this so hard!!

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Honestly I'd go as far as to say that Lilly Rabe (e: and Bassett!) deserves an Emmy nomination for this role. I utterly adore Misty. FrankenTate is also adorable. I love the way he always looks so petrified and in desperate need of a hug and/or bath.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Nov 15, 2013

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

Captain Mog posted:

Honestly I'd go as far as to say that Lilly Rabe (e: and Bassett!) deserves an Emmy nomination for this role. I utterly adore Misty. FrankenTate is also adorable. I love the way he always looks so petrified and in desperate need of a hug and/or bath.

Maybe just a hug. The bath wasn't too enjoyable, apparently :(

...although I would love a gif of him going all...franken-like. He is an adorable bastard.

Also, i have the biggest girl crush on Lily Rabe :3:

MadSparkle fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Nov 15, 2013

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

Can Bernie count on you to add to our chest's mad sparkle? Can you spare a little change for an old buccaneer?

xeria posted:

Cordelia said in the premiere, I think, that a lot of women with known witch heritage have outright refused to have kids and it's causing some of their lines to die out entirely. Add onto that witch hunters and situations like what happened to Misty, and it's probably not hard to see why there's only a handful of openly witchy witches left roaming the country. I think it's probably just a background thing that you have to take at face value -- Cordelia says it's not safe for them to be open about their powers, so that's just the setting that we're dealing with.

Marie Laveau seems to be more like what you're talking about -- an open secret in New Orleans. Her salon staff certainly knows exactly who she is and what she's capable of, and people seem to flock to her because she 'grants wishes' or whatever.

I forgot that bit from Cordelia, should go back and watch.

I sort of wish more episode time was spent at Marie's , it's certainly a bustling enterprise. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in that place. There should be a spell for that.

snuffles
Oct 7, 2007
Did anyone notice that only when Zoe touched Kyle that he came alive? I can't help but think that was one of the exhibitions of Zoe's powers (resurrection), as boring a plot line as that may be, next supreme and all. That and the whole 'no guys I know which book!' power.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TheBizzness posted:

It's not like she just has her vision taken away by acid to the eyes or anything. They should sit down over tea and discuss how every time he touches her she has terrible visions of him cheating like normal adults.

My bet with the character so far is what she sees is only what he feels guilty for. That's why she doesn't know about the murder.

He feels guilty for cheating. He does not feel guilty for eliminating a witch.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

Blazing Ownager posted:

My bet with the character so far is what she sees is only what he feels guilty for. That's why she doesn't know about the murder.

He feels guilty for cheating. He does not feel guilty for eliminating a witch.

I don't think that works though, considering that when Fiona touched Cordelia, she got a vision of Myrtle being burned at the stake. I feel pretty confident that Fiona feels absolutely no guilt about that whatsoever.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I don't think that works though, considering that when Fiona touched Cordelia, she got a vision of Myrtle being burned at the stake. I feel pretty confident that Fiona feels absolutely no guilt about that whatsoever.

Given she was concealing it from her daughter and how badly she took the news, it was probably right on her mind right then, actually.

She feels no guilt for the burning maybe, but she does feel guilt for hurting her daughter at a time like this, I think.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 31 days!

Blazing Ownager posted:

Given she was concealing it from her daughter and how badly she took the news, it was probably right on her mind right then, actually.

She feels no guilt for the burning maybe, but she does feel guilt for hurting her daughter at a time like this, I think.

I'd go along with the "thing that was on their mind at the time" theory, but I'd still say it was less about them feeling guilt towards their crimes and more that Cordelia is just seeing visions of the most recent dastardly thing they'd done that was against her in some way (e.g., her husband's infidelity, or her mother burning "Auntie Myrtle" at the stake).

The other interesting thing to remember is that Cordelia immediately broke physical contact with them after receiving the upsetting visions, so we don't know if her visions are just about the bad stuff her mom and husband have done that affects her personally, or if she will see the other nasty stuff like her husband being a witch hunter, her mother killing Madison, etc.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You know, I wouldn't be surprised if the cloaked figure doesn't turn out to be a "good" character that intentionally blinded her to give her those powers, to effect some outcome from a vision or something. Like for example someone foresaw her husband's murder of all the witches and gave her the power to see through him to change it.

Just a guess, and it's pretty out there, but this is an out there show.

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

Blazing Ownager posted:

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if the cloaked figure doesn't turn out to be a "good" character that intentionally blinded her to give her those powers, to effect some outcome from a vision or something. Like for example someone foresaw her husband's murder of all the witches and gave her the power to see through him to change it.

Just a guess, and it's pretty out there, but this is an out there show.

Oh poo poo, it's Nan! She clairvoyanced that he's killing witches and cheating on his wife!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

radlum posted:

I really like the creepy opening. My favorite/creepier parts are the witches dancing around the burning pyre (is that a witch they are burning? It seems the pilgrims got the idea from the witches themselves) and the voodoo zombie-looking man.

In America witches were hung. It's in Europe where witches and heretics were burned. :eng101:

This is something the show got right, BTW. There was a line about the hangings in Salem earlier in the series.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

xeria posted:

Oh poo poo, it's Nan! She clairvoyanced that he's killing witches and cheating on his wife!

I was wondering how he avoided detection prior to this because of her (and the other witches who can read minds) but I'm going to just write it off as the voodoo lady giving him some sort of protection against it blah blah magick or whatever.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Maybe he takes lessons from Spalding in exchange for occasionally being a guest of honor at the tea parties.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

Random Stranger posted:

In America witches were hung. It's in Europe where witches and heretics were burned. :eng101:

This is something the show got right, BTW. There was a line about the hangings in Salem earlier in the series.

The creepiest part in the credits for me is the feet in the background (sort of a historical looking drawing) that look static but then twitch. And later in the credits it pulls back so you can see it's the feet of some hung witches. But that is so eerie.

superkittenhugs
Sep 8, 2010
My opinion on this isn't going to be very elegant or well put due to sleep deprivation, but I just have to get it out. I didn't get a chance to watch the new episode until early this morning, and I am just so drat disappointed. This episode was really, really horrible, to the point that I feel zero excitement for next week. It was a disjointed mess, which is such a shame since the previous week was the strongest episode of the season for me. The interrogation scene was pathetic, Zoe has moved on from a character that does nothing to an irritating idiot, all of the characters reactions are dependent on what the scene requires, not on their personalities, etc.

Honestly, for the past few weeks I've felt that OmegaBR was being a bit too hard on the show, but his/her summation from yesterday is just right on.

radlum
May 13, 2013

fullroundaction posted:

I was wondering how he avoided detection prior to this because of her (and the other witches who can read minds) but I'm going to just write it off as the voodoo lady giving him some sort of protection against it blah blah magick or whatever.

I wish they elaborate on what makes him a "witch hunter". Fooling a naive woman, having sex with her and shooting her while distracted isn't special, maybe he has a natural resistance to spells or mind control or something.

Also, Marie doesn't consider herself a witch right? since her magic is voodoo related, she wouldn't fit the European witch tradition?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

radlum posted:

I wish they elaborate on what makes him a "witch hunter". Fooling a naive woman, having sex with her and shooting her while distracted isn't special, maybe he has a natural resistance to spells or mind control or something.

It's probably the fact that he's a normal non-witch dude. He has the element of surprise. The fire-powered witch he killed couldn't detect anything magical about him.

RedneckwithGuns
Mar 28, 2007

Up Next:
Fifteen Inches of
SHEER DYNAMITE

I keep watching because I'm interested in the story and how it turns out but the biggest thing I've felt this season lacked compared to the previous two is an overarching sense of dread within the setting. Season 1's murder house, season 2's asylum, both had good amounts of mystery and hidden or unspoken horrific elements that just aren't found here.

Of course it might just be the lack of body horror compared to the first two seasons but it just feels off compared to them. I marathoned the first two seasons for the first time in the run up to this one and there were several times I felt like I needed to take a break before watching more episodes, but I don't feel that here.

MD2020
May 30, 2003

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Last Chance posted:

It's probably the fact that he's a normal non-witch dude. He has the element of surprise. The fire-powered witch he killed couldn't detect anything magical about him.

And if I was going to kill a person who can set me on fire if they're upset, shooting them after sex and while we're sitting down to eat is probably the best way to do it without getting her emotions fired up.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Seems that supernatural hunters are traditionally just normal humans who have an axe to grind against the entity they're hunting. And, to be frank, these witches don't seem that hard to kill.

Perhaps his mother was a witch and was burned by her coven.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
If he took out Fiona first (away from the house) and then Queeny first when he got to the house he could kill the entire coven with little-to-no effort or danger. For a witch-hunter that is.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

fullroundaction posted:

If he took out Fiona first (away from the house) and then Queeny first when he got to the house he could kill the entire coven with little-to-no effort or danger. For a witch-hunter that is.

He is going to die by Zoe's murder vagina before he can get to pillow talk assassination.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

MadSparkle posted:

No, where's the murder of crows? I can't seem to see it when I watch this. I need to watch it again.
I watched the intro on mute, because the music also gives me the creeps.

Maybe it's just the way I happened to see it, but the circle of witches around the ax man all stabbing vertically was what reminded me of the murder of crows. The way that the figures were all hooded, and the stabbing motions they were using just looked like birds and their beaks. It could have just been me though.

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu
So I guess I should've realized this, but apparently the reason Stevie Nicks is able to cameo is because of them cancelling their tour due to John's cancer. :(

Regarding the creepy thing in the credits, I wouldn't count on it ever showing up. I adore this show and find fewer faults with it than most, I think, but the opening credits are always creepier than the season's content. I'd love it if it did, though. :allears:

P_T_S
Aug 28, 2009

WeLandedOnTheMoon! posted:

Maybe it's just the way I happened to see it, but the circle of witches around the ax man all stabbing vertically was what reminded me of the murder of crows. The way that the figures were all hooded, and the stabbing motions they were using just looked like birds and their beaks. It could have just been me though.

It's not just you. They were all on him and pecking just like crows on discarded food. Even their knives were narrow and looked rounded like beaks.

MindTheGap
Jul 24, 2007
Regarding Ax-Man's murder, does anyone else think that that was a disappointingly pedestrian way for a coven of witches to kill a guy?
It was apparently supposed to be this big moment where all of these representations of dark femininity take down an oppressive masculine threat, and yet... they all just hid, and then ambushed him with flimsy stabby-stabby motions.
You're not going to create a vortex and throw him around the room a bit, or freak him out by shape shifting or anything? Set the curtains on fire? Create an illusion where all of your faces turn into the faces of his victims?

No...?

Welp, okay.

I mean, it might have been cool in a hosed-up "GRRL POWER" kind of way if it had just been a regular boarding school of girls or something, but they're witches. And with the tarot card lead-in, it really seemed like that scene should have built to something more supernatural than a Caesar Surprise.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
They did use their powers to essentially freeze him in place and keep him from being able to fight back but I do agree they should have set him on fire or scrambled his brains Fiona style.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Taliaquin posted:

So I guess I should've realized this, but apparently the reason Stevie Nicks is able to cameo is because of them cancelling their tour due to John's cancer. :(

Regarding the creepy thing in the credits, I wouldn't count on it ever showing up. I adore this show and find fewer faults with it than most, I think, but the opening credits are always creepier than the season's content. I'd love it if it did, though. :allears:

I liked how Murder House's credits were pretty much a shock-cut preview of that whole season and by about halfway through you understood every bit of imagery. Coven seems much more metaphorical though, I agree that we're probably never going to see people in black robes and pointy hats dancing around a bonfire or a winged skeletal goat-man wandering the forest.

TheBizzness posted:

They did use their powers to essentially freeze him in place and keep him from being able to fight back but I do agree they should have set him on fire or scrambled his brains Fiona style.

I would have accepted the Ceasaring better if they all stood in a circle chanting or something while the knives did the work by themselves.

MadSparkle
Aug 7, 2012

McSpanky posted:

I liked how Murder House's credits were pretty much a shock-cut preview of that whole season and by about halfway through you understood every bit of imagery. Coven seems much more metaphorical though, I agree that we're probably never going to see people in black robes and pointy hats dancing around a bonfire or a winged skeletal goat-man wandering the forest.

I would have accepted the Ceasaring better if they all stood in a circle chanting or something while the knives did the work by themselves.

Haha, I totally thought Caesaring as well. Yeah, that part was just stabby stabby with no magic or anything, it seemed a little disappointing, especially after that talk about how powerful they were, etc.

When he was 'released' later, I was also a little disappointed to see him just get up and leave. But then I got all excited again when I saw him at the bar with Fiona.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I liked the way he died because frankly, I find being stabbed repeatedly by multiple people to be one of the most horrifying ways to die. It felt like a very suitable death for the Axeman.

Also, where was the Supreme in the flashbacks? I was hoping for a glimpse into how the school had run in the past, when it was more successful and more witches thrived.

Diamond Mask
Nov 18, 2005

his name is Sir Mowsalot
Am I the only one who was disturbed by how into the torture Queenie was? Zoe was righteously angry, Nan was serious and grossed out, but Queenie was giggling and enjoying herself. And it's not because she liked Madison and wanted to torture her killer or anything. I don't know if it's a hint about what's coming up in this season, but I don't think people have called Queenie a "monster" in the past because she's fat or a human voodoo doll. I think there's something badly wrong with Queenie and I really don't think Fiona should have put the idea of becoming the Supreme in her head.

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010
She stuck her arm into boiling oil to burn a man for cursing at her over a burger. She stabbed a knife into her hand to get back at Madison for being catty. She masturbated the Minotaur.

Girl's got problems.

ThatPazuzu
Sep 8, 2011

I'm so depressed, I can't even blink.

AGirlWonder posted:

She stuck her arm into boiling oil to burn a man for cursing at her over a burger. She stabbed a knife into her hand to get back at Madison for being catty. She masturbated the Minotaur.

Girl's got problems.

I don't think she ended up using her powers on the minotaur for whatever reason, judging by her injuries, but yeah she's a sociopath with the best powers for a sociopath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

AGirlWonder posted:

Girl's got problems.

Fried chicken. She was a manager!

• Locked thread