Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

spikenigma posted:

LITERALLY two episodes ago with the crazy Irish lady about her zombie husband:

:downs: "He's getting slower and slower. He needs to eat." . It was a drat plot point why the lady was feeding him.

This thread has taught me (and taught me hard) why Dexter narrated really obvious poo poo, loudly and obviously.

Did you miss the part where the guy was just a head in a bag and obviously hadn't moved in a long time, never-mind 'getting slower'? The woman was crazy and nothing she says about zombie biology, or her husband can be taken seriously at all.

I'll let you soak in that irony for a moment. Maybe Rick should have narrated 'This woman was trying to feed a decapitated head, her husband must have died a long time ago, at least he wasn't a zombie'

BUUUUT didn't the nerd guy from Woodbury say that one of the zombies he had captured WAS starving to death? Just extremely slowly? I remember him saying that it WAS dying, but it was taking an extremely long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
He also ripped out a zombie's spine, punched ones head in, and decapitated one with a bone. Those honestly might be the most violent zombie takedowns on the show so far. Daryl's hatchback smash was pretty wild, and if I recall a goon played the zombie that got smashed.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I honestly really liked this episode. Scott Gimple apparently wants to break the Governor down and build him back up, and I'm interested to see where it goes.

That said, my favorite road for the Governor plot to take would be Season 4 going all the way through without him, then, in the season finale when Rick and friends are mopping up a zombie pack, Rick looks and sees that one of them is the Governor. He takes a moment, shoots him in the head, and walks away.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I hope it turns out that the governor is not responsible for the zombie buildup and was instead just looking to drop the 3 women. I think the character is waaaaay too deep in poo poo to be redeemed but a redemption-attempt plot certainly beats the cartoon villain thing they had going both because it would be more interesting and because it would be less dumb (if he wanted to hurt the prison gang he sure picked the most convoluted way possible).

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I seriously do not think there was any connection even implied, simply that it was a dramatic hook that he showed up when he did. The crazy little girl whose name I don't care to find out in the prison was feeding the zombies.

spikenigma
Nov 13, 2005

by Ralp

PootieTang posted:

Did you miss the part where the guy was just a head in a bag and obviously hadn't moved in a long time, never-mind 'getting slower'? The woman was crazy and nothing she says about zombie biology, or her husband can be taken seriously at all.

Options:

1) Woman who had just come clean about everything else was incorrect or misleading about her husband getting slower . And we know zombie heads can live for a while thanks to the Govenor.

2) You didn't pay attention.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

Can we all just agree that the Governor looked loving badass as hell.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

spikenigma posted:

Options:

1) Woman who had just come clean about everything else was incorrect or misleading about her husband getting slower . And we know zombie heads can live for a while thanks to the Govenor.

2) You didn't pay attention.

Well it couldn't possibly be the woman being incorrect or misleading about her husband could it? I mean if you take one thing away from that sequence, it's that the woman is always truthful about her husband, especially when it comes to his biological state.

PootieTang fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 18, 2013

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

That DICK! posted:

This. The dude smashed in a skull with an oxygen tank, tore a throat(/spine?) out and ripped a head in half using a loving bone.

I'd like to make more important, cogent points about the TV/head tank thing being a nice image or about the Gov being constantly bedazzled by the "do it for my daughter" stuff, but I inevitably come back to the fact that the dude ripped a head in half using a bone and I'm lost for words again.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

Redundant posted:

This. The dude smashed in a skull with an oxygen tank, tore a throat(/spine?) out and ripped a head in half using a loving bone.

I'd like to make more important, cogent points about the TV/head tank thing being a nice image or about the Gov being constantly bedazzled by the "do it for my daughter" stuff, but I inevitably come back to the fact that the dude ripped a head in half using a bone and I'm lost for words again.

Governator 2.0 is the best part of this season so far. Both comic and season 3 governor were severely lacking.

Though if anything has given me greater hope for this season it's that they're following the plan I laid out in the TWD spoiler thread of how I'd do it almost EXACTLY. And frankly I can't really complain about that. If they keep to it I can see season 4 being a great comeback for the series in terms of quality.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

It seems pretty clear they are trying to rebuild the governer character. It's an interesting approach, basically admitting they hosed up a bit first time so are going for a do-over.

There is no chance of him getting redemption for all his crimes, so I see it going one of two ways.

1) They start to build up a bigger group, and we see that the Governer just wants to protect his new family, but is forced to do evil things in order to do so. So we still see him as the villain, but can't disagree with his need to do anything he is doing.

2) He dies saving the little girl.

Ap0calyps3
May 14, 2009

That DICK! posted:

Yes, yes he is. And he always has been.

I do enjoy where they went with this last episode. They kind of have it easy in this setting, seeing as society has all but completely broken down, but it is good to see more characters which portray the duality present in most humans. Everyone has the capacity for extreme evil or benevolence, especially when pushed to the extremes portrayed in this show. It would be nice to see the Governor be able to find a little peace and become more heroic, at least for his own "tribe".

Senor Tron posted:

It seems pretty clear they are trying to rebuild the governer character. It's an interesting approach, basically admitting they hosed up a bit first time so are going for a do-over.

There is no chance of him getting redemption for all his crimes, so I see it going one of two ways.

1) They start to build up a bigger group, and we see that the Governer just wants to protect his new family, but is forced to do evil things in order to do so. So we still see him as the villain, but can't disagree with his need to do anything he is doing.

I agree, he cannot get true "redemption for all his crimes", however why should that matter a lot? There is no society left that is keeping tabs. His old crew will only care about the value that he adds to the group. And as far as evil deeds go, that is very relative in the setting of the show. Considering the apocalyptic scenario, is it evil to kill other people to defend his "family"? It wouldn't have been considered so a few hundred years ago, when people didn't have the state to defend them. I would hate to see him die as some sort of balance for his evil deeds, that would be so cliche.

Ap0calyps3 fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 18, 2013

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

dinoputz posted:

I think that was the first natural death I remember seeing in the series. Has it already been established that no matter how you die, you always come back as a zombie?

fake edit: I think I missed an entire series

Fixed.

And, seriously?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

CarpenterWalrus posted:

I don't think it's at all coincidence that the show has been at its most interesting this season when we take a break from Rick. It's like the writers realized they just can't keep Rick interesting so they're increasingly down-playing him. Tonight's outing with Phil seemed like a breath of fresh air compared to the never-ending dreariness of the prison gang.

Indeed. I find Rick and his family to be the stone that is dragging this show down, and the fact he's been consistently overshadowed / ignored for a number of episodes in a row is a great thing.

Also, this was probably my favourite one yet. Finally, a show that tries to be at least partially drama does a good drama episode, and even uses zombies effectively (= sparingly)!

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

That DICK! posted:

No, we can't. He looked boring and like my eyelids.

Christ someone needs to slap Kirkman to rid him of his Governor boner. Nobody loving cares

E: I absolutely agree it would have been an excellent episode if it didn't have Phillip in it. Everything else was pretty good. But the interest ship on the Governor sailed last spring

rypakal fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Nov 18, 2013

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

That DICK! posted:

Not really.

rypakal posted:

true gov stuff

About the only thing I enjoyed about the episode was the camera work. Awesome this week.

Too many groan-worthy moments:
- Music-video intro
- Easily shrugged off zombie, hobo-style
- "Hey, you look like a psycho, but please let us give you our entire backstory without taking a breath"
- "Time to go" "Just a minute more?"
- Awkward pre-sex scene next to a sleeping kid
- Banana-peel fall, followed up by the typical kid standing still
- Running toward, then past (:wtc:) the zombies to get away?

I would probably handwave all those if I wasn't already in "really do not give two fucks about the governor" frame of mind.
Edit: Got kind of a Thomas Covenant vibe from his character

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 18, 2013

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Ap0calyps3 posted:

I agree, he cannot get true "redemption for all his crimes", however why should that matter a lot? There is no society left that is keeping tabs. His old crew will only care about the value that he adds to the group. And as far as evil deeds go, that is very relative in the setting of the show. Considering the apocalyptic scenario, is it evil to kill other people to defend his "family"? It wouldn't have been considered so a few hundred years ago, when people didn't have the state to defend them. I would hate to see him die as some sort of balance for his evil deeds, that would be so cliche.

We know he ends up back at the prison, so it's pretty much guaranteed he will have interactions with Rick and crew, any redemption sort of arc would have to come from them accepting him (since rightly or wrongly they are the people who we are obviously meant to see as the good guys).

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Senor Tron posted:

We know he ends up back at the prison, so it's pretty much guaranteed he will have interactions with Rick and crew, any redemption sort of arc would have to come from them accepting him (since rightly or wrongly they are the people who we are obviously meant to see as the good guys).

I just don't know how you do that, though. I mean I could see Rick and the others eventually coming to terms with it but Glenn and Maggie? No way.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Senor Tron posted:

3) spinoff

Which I'd actually be OK with. He'd be an interesting character with his backstory as-is. Just not if he reverts the story back to supervillian versus Ricktocracy.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Last night sure seemed like a back door pilot.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Fog Tripper posted:

3) spinoff

Which I'd actually be OK with. He'd be an interesting character with his backstory as-is. Just not if he reverts the story back to supervillian versus Ricktocracy.

I'd be totally fine with that on the condition he goes back to looking like Snake Plisskin. In fact, If they ever make an Escape From NY remake, it should star the guy who plays the Governor.

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
This episode really failed to hold my attention; it wasn't bad or anything. I actually like the idea of a bit of side story. But not in the main series. I just can't give a poo poo about the governor outside of his interactions with the main group. The last couple of episodes I've been glued to start to finish but this one took me hours of stop-starting to get through.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

THE PWNER posted:

This episode really failed to hold my attention; it wasn't bad or anything. I actually like the idea of a bit of side story. But not in the main series. I just can't give a poo poo about the governor outside of his interactions with the main group. The last couple of episodes I've been glued to start to finish but this one took me hours of stop-starting to get through.

May need to see a doctor.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

THE PWNER posted:

How unfortunate is your life that you can't just sit there for an hour and watch a TV show you might not have the highest opinion on? I mean honestly is it that much of a struggle to get through it in one sitting and not have to stop and start it for hours?

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

vyst posted:

How unfortunate is your life that you can't just sit there for an hour and watch a TV show you might not have the highest opinion on? I mean honestly is it that much of a struggle to get through it in one sitting and not have to stop and start it for hours?

I'm all for jumping down people throats for really minor things, but come on don't you think you're being a bit harsh? Hell I do the stop start thing with TV shows I actually like, it's just a habit some people have. Hell you basically have to do it if you watch it live because of ad breaks, pausing it every so often is hardly that different. I mean at least he's watching it in the correct order. I have a friend who not only watches all media (movies, tv etc) in a stop-start style, but also in a non-linear fashion. E.g. he'll watch the end of a movie, then the start, then the middle, or the middle, then the end then the start. Almost every movie the guy has ever seen he watched in non-linear fragments.

Now THAT is worth complaining about.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
That episode was the most boring and uninteresting episode I've seen in a while. I think its largely because the governor is such an unsympathetic character to me that its hard to be interested in what happens to him.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

It was a more meditative character study, so I figured it would be a divisive episode. Whether or not it succeeded in it's goal is debatable, and it's hard to judge the episode on its own since it's just a part of a multi-episode Governor side arc. There are a lot of people who watch this show as an action show and aren't going to be satisfied with anything less than start-to-finish zombie fighting.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

It was a more meditative character study, so I figured it would be a divisive episode. Whether or not it succeeded in it's goal is debatable, and it's hard to judge the episode on its own since it's just a part of a multi-episode Governor side arc. There are a lot of people who watch this show as an action show and aren't going to be satisfied with anything less than start-to-finish zombie fighting.

I got that and I have to say I'm not one of those action all the time guys. Its just hard for me to be interested in the governor becoming more "human" or "likable" after all the evil things he's done and the foreshadowing they did before with him possibly being an enemy near the prison. Why should I care if this guy redeems himself? He's evil and will literally do anything to stay in power. On one hand if he is "redeemed" and does a lot of good things it'll come off as cheesy and hollow because we know he's a megalomaniac that will murder, rape, and steal to get his way. If he doesn't, then it'll be business as usual and he'll simply remain a boring comic book villain that for some reason wants to gently caress with the Ricktatorship. It doesn't make sense and the show is better when he's not around.

SecretCervix
Jun 13, 2003

Fun Shoe
I know all white people look the same, but was I the only one who thought Lilly (the mother) looked a lot like Maggie? The actresses could be real-life sisters they have such a resemblance.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

SecretCervix posted:

I know all white people look the same, but was I the only one who thought Lilly (the mother) looked a lot like Maggie? The actresses could be real-life sisters they have such a resemblance.

I thought the same thing. DoppleMaggie

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011
I would have liked this kind of redemption arc for the Governor under different circumstances but imo he was portrayed as too comically evil for this to work. It could have been a great story with a "realistic" villain (for example killing people of Rick's group due to *reasons of survival*) but after what we have seen of him last season?
You would really need to ignore everything he did last season to develop real sympathy. So do the show runners want us to forget? I guess we will see next week but I think the only possible end to this arc is for the Governor to die (Darth Vader style) to even come close to achieve what they probably have in mind.

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

This episode would have been fantastic if we didn't already know the Governor. The last time we saw him he snapped and mass murdered people. Now we get an acoustic guitar song and a pretty force-fed redemption episode. He was one of the worst characters in the series, they can't just do a total do-over.

What was his big turn around? That he snapped? Maybe if we was on the brink of death, or tried to commit suicide and failed it would make more sense. But he snapped, killed people, then got sad.

Governor 2.0 is definitely a total badass, but I don't want to ever see him have a showdown with the prison crew again. gently caress, it was so lame last season.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

The episode was meh, but seriously how do they explain that family being alive for however long this apocalypse has been (2 years?) without realizing/someone telling them that you have to shoot zombies in the brain?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think it's pretty obvious they are setting up him going to the prison hat-in-hand, not trying to take them out.

The Governor issue is the extreme end of Carol's argument of "survival at all costs for me and mine". We say the Governor is a monster, but mostly he just has a bigger body count than some other characters who have done similar things that only cost a few lives rather than dozens or more. I'm sure the old Gov would've justified his actions by pointing out how the citizens of Woodbury were relatively safe and comfortable compared to your average survivor. His worldview was that any group that wasn't them or wouldn't join them was an existential threat to Woodbury (which actually turned out to be true) and so he justified his actions along those lines.

This goes back to one of the central themes of the show, which is "how far is it okay to go to survive", just pushed to its absolute end. I'm not saying that he's a good guy or anything, nor do I think there's really anything he could do to redeem himself to the prison crew, much less Maggie or Glenn, but it does raise an interesting question whether "monsterhood" can be defined more by intention or outcomes. I'm sure new Carol, given the resources and power of the old Governor, would make many of the same choices, but do we consider her to be a monster?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

vyst posted:

Why the gently caress do people feel the need to attack other watchers because they expressed an opinion about episodes?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

PootieTang posted:

BUUUUT didn't the nerd guy from Woodbury say that one of the zombies he had captured WAS starving to death? Just extremely slowly? I remember him saying that it WAS dying, but it was taking an extremely long time

They obviously get more lively after feeding and it seems like they atrophy, sit/lie down and kinda hibernate after a while if they dont eat somebody or something.

The music intro was kinda corny but the rest of this episode kicked rear end :toot:

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

zoux posted:

I think it's pretty obvious they are setting up him going to the prison hat-in-hand, not trying to take them out.

The Governor issue is the extreme end of Carol's argument of "survival at all costs for me and mine". We say the Governor is a monster, but mostly he just has a bigger body count than some other characters who have done similar things that only cost a few lives rather than dozens or more. I'm sure the old Gov would've justified his actions by pointing out how the citizens of Woodbury were relatively safe and comfortable compared to your average survivor. His worldview was that any group that wasn't them or wouldn't join them was an existential threat to Woodbury (which actually turned out to be true) and so he justified his actions along those lines.

This goes back to one of the central themes of the show, which is "how far is it okay to go to survive", just pushed to its absolute end. I'm not saying that he's a good guy or anything, nor do I think there's really anything he could do to redeem himself to the prison crew, much less Maggie or Glenn, but it does raise an interesting question whether "monsterhood" can be defined more by intention or outcomes. I'm sure new Carol, given the resources and power of the old Governor, would make many of the same choices, but do we consider her to be a monster?

No way dude, he was into torturing people. He was mustache-twirling evil, which basically made him a lovely character because of how unbelievably polar bad he was.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

SecretCervix posted:

I did, she did.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

LinkesAuge posted:

I would have liked this kind of redemption arc for the Governor under different circumstances but imo he was portrayed as too comically evil for this to work. It could have been a great story with a "realistic" villain (for example killing people of Rick's group due to *reasons of survival*) but after what we have seen of him last season?

This is my big beef with it as well, nothing they can do can bring him into even morally dubious territory, much less sympathy. If all he did was raid and kill other survivors to get supplies to his own group he would still be a villain but there would be some sense to it. You could try to see things from his perspective, he'd never be good but given that this is the end of the world they could make it an ethical dilemma "are the lives of other people worth more than the lives of the people in your group? If not how far will you go to ensure your group's survival" kind of thing.

They went too far for that. I'm still going to give them the benefit of doubt because I've been enjoying this season so much but I don't expect anything satisfying coming from this line. Should have gone with "Carol returns with the Governor's head on a pike and everybody forgives her :downs:".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Illinois Smith posted:

Here's something that's always bugged me: Who's that mopey kid with the dumb hat that keeps following Rick around?

He shot down the S3 helicopter

• Locked thread