Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The forwards (i.e. the big fuckers you slam into the little guy with the ball) generally wear head protection (at the very least, ear tape, as torn ears in scrums are common) these days, and they almost all wear gumshields - but no, generally lifespan is not measured any differently. It's a thug's game played by gentlemen, mostly, so it's surprisingly non-vicious for the most part. High/dangerous tackles are pretty frowned upon - I wouldn't be surprised if Mr Facemasher there got some sort of official warning.

Side note: I'm not a massive rugby fan, but I played in school, so I have a vague idea of the basics. The worst injury I saw during a game I was playing was actually caused by a bit of rusty metal lying beside the pitch.

Also, this is why there's a feeling among some spheres in Britain that American football is not as tough - because we play a very similar-seeming game without several pounds of padding.

Wait til you watch aussie rules football :D

On rugby on fake turf: as we've just seen, the face is probably the most vulnerable, along with the knees and elbows, and astroturf burn stings.

E: content

This is a celebration, apparently. it looks remarkbly similar to both scrums and lineouts.

thespaceinvader has a new favorite as of 18:56 on Nov 18, 2013

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Artemis J Brassnuts posted:

So, rugby appears to just be american football without the pads. Do they measure the length of an athlete's career in hours?

In a lot of ways its a safer sport than American Football both rules (you must wrap up to tackle legally) and equipment (armor padding and helmets result in the same issue boxing gloves did; a lot more headshots and energy goes into hits directly to bones). They both of course, have serious concussion issues.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

So, rugby appears to just be american football without the pads. Do they measure the length of an athlete's career in hours?

No, rugby is generally considered to be safer than American football. For one the rules of tackling are much different. You have to bind and bring your target to the ground; if you just smash him and don't grab him he can get right back up and keep running, and if you don't grab them it's an illegal tackle. The result is that instead of hitting someone with a shoulder charge you basically always hit with a nice meaty pocket between your neck and shoulder, and usually in a soft part of the body like the gut or thighs.

Also, because the only person that can legally be tackled is the ball carrier, and since you can't throw forward (and therefore potentially to someone surrounded by opposing players) you virtually never get blindsided by a tackle you couldn't prepare for.

Unless of course you get what's known as a hospital pass, where a pass you have to grab arrives and you don't have time to brace yourself for a tackle:

Most importantly, probably, is that you don't lead with your head. In American football people tend to smash their huge awful helmets together all the time, and they can do that without dying, but there's still a shock to the brain, which is why gridiron has such a problem with concussions. Not to say rugby has no concussion problems, but my impression is that they're not as bad.

LimburgLimbo has a new favorite as of 19:04 on Nov 18, 2013

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, not being able to block off the ball makes it a very different game.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
sports

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Oh God, the delay between his body and head moving! :stonk:

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Huh, interesting. Thanks for the rugby primer! In exchange, I will reveal to you the curative secret of RuPaul's kisses:

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

This was an illegal hit, by the way.

Noah
May 31, 2011

Come at me baby bitch

It's okay, he's alright.

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe
I assume thats the QB after having thrown the ball?

American football players are probably a solid 150-200 pounds heavier than rugby players too. The NFL is kind of like WWE, get the tallest meatiest bastard you can find and put pads on em.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

thespaceinvader posted:

Wait til you watch aussie rules football :D

AKA the dumbest sport on the planet. Seriously, it's so stupid.

Anyway you can't really compare Rugby with american football. In football since they play about 8 seconds at a time they don't really need as much cardio as a Rugby player does - this allows them to get 150 pounds heavier, as veedubfreak said. In NZ people were always like "aw brew a rugby player could beat a football player every time!"... okay... in what sport? A rugby player would be a greasestain on the field in a Football match because he's 150 pounds lighter than everybody. And a football player would die of a heart attack after ten seconds in a Rugby match. It's such a stupid comparison.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Its similar to how MMA gloves are actually safer for the competitors than boxing gloves. In gridiron football (American) you can keep hitting harder and harder and not really feel much. In Rugby after a few hits your body goes "Hey....stop it, that hurts."

As an American having played both, Rugby is far safer despite the "zomg no pads!" hysteria people reach at first.

Content -

This is Carlin Isles, he's an American who was training for the Olympics for Team USA as a sprinter but didn't quite make it. He wanted to be an Olympian or something and in the 2016 games 7s rugby (normally rugby is 15 per team) is a part of the program. The US National Sevens team needed a good runner as well so they convinced him to play and basically they now just hand him the ball and he's very hard to catch.

If I remember correctly he had like 5 weeks of training before being a starter for the US team. We're also not as good as we really should be even with him :(

video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA5bwqVN5LM

Mekchu has a new favorite as of 20:23 on Nov 18, 2013

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Have you seen prop forwards? More to the point, have you seen the likes of Jonah Lomu? Dude's loving gigantic (6'5" and stacked, but runs like a sprinter). Basically, the sort of folks you get playing american football, in terms of build at least, you get playing rugby. It's just that most of the giffable moments I've seen are the little nippy guys getting tackled, you don't get as many of scrums and lineouts where the big guys feature heavily.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

stratdax posted:

Anyway you can't really compare Rugby with american football. In football since they play about 8 seconds at a time they don't really need as much cardio as a Rugby player does - this allows them to get 150 pounds heavier, as veedubfreak said. In NZ people were always like "aw brew a rugby player could beat a football player every time!"... okay... in what sport? A rugby player would be a greasestain on the field in a Football match because he's 150 pounds lighter than everybody. And a football player would die of a heart attack after ten seconds in a Rugby match. It's such a stupid comparison.

There's actually a few college Rugby players who ended up being kickers on NFL teams. I can't remember their names but I do remember that being a thing mentioned during one of the NFL games last year.

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar
Does anyone have the gif similar to this one...

...but it was some dude hosting a reality show but he still pulls the same "suave" move?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

thespaceinvader posted:

Have you seen prop forwards? More to the point, have you seen the likes of Jonah Lomu? Dude's loving gigantic (6'5" and stacked, but runs like a sprinter). Basically, the sort of folks you get playing american football, in terms of build at least, you get playing rugby. It's just that most of the giffable moments I've seen are the little nippy guys getting tackled, you don't get as many of scrums and lineouts where the big guys feature heavily.

To be totally honest Lomu is a physical freak who would have excelled in the NFL and was at one point courted by it. That said, the specialization of football produces individuals who are overall less strong than Rugby players but very good at individualized tasks. The person who would be likely charged with stopping Lomu/committing a flagrant foul against Lomu's QB would comparably be Ndamukong Suh who at 6'4" 307 pounds has quite a bit of weight on Lomu as well as the conditioning training to be very good and slamming Lomu as hard as possible without needing to necessarily wrap up so the rest of the team can drag him down.

Edit: In fact if I use the entire Defensive line that Lomu will be opposing in this scenario the average weight is around 20 pounds heavier than Lomu with the stars all hovering at around 35 or more.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

Unless you're talking about the positions for huge dudes that barely have to move (tackle, O-Line) NFL players are mostly pretty ridiculous athletes and would probably be able to play Rugby with no problem. Rugby players would probably do the same in football.

The problem comes when you're comparing two different types of athletes who have prepared since childhood in a specific way for a specific sport, like fast rugby players who can go long distances vs NFL linebackers.

SheepNameKiller has a new favorite as of 20:30 on Nov 18, 2013

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Yeah, I'm pretty sure they're not as different as people think in terms of the actual people - they're just very different games. You don't get scrums and lineouts in american football (do you?) and you don't get blocking off the ball in rugby, among other things.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

LARIATOOOOOOOOOOOO

Forti
May 5, 2009

:ussr:

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Malkamar
Mar 15, 2009
MY DEAD HUSBAND WAS FULL OF SHIT

kazil posted:

This was an illegal hit, by the way.

By the rulebook it's not (he hit Brees' shoulders, not his head/neck). The tackler was penalized because you can get a roughing the passer call for looking at him funny these days.

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
More rugby please!

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth

Kramdar posted:

Does anyone have the gif similar to this one...

...but it was some dude hosting a reality show but he still pulls the same "suave" move?

Well, it seems almost like an exact copy of this Vine made by Taye Diggs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOpkA_SiNDg

And I'm positive it was turned into a gif, I just can't find it.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Shamelessy lifted from the Punchsport Pagoda thread:

stratdax has a new favorite as of 23:02 on Nov 18, 2013

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Phelddagrif
Jan 28, 2009

Before I do anything, I think, well what hasn't been seen. Sometimes, that turns out to be something ghastly and not fit for society. And sometimes that inspiration becomes something that's really worthwhile.
From Giant Bomb's PS4 live stream:

Davfff
Oct 27, 2008

Phelddagrif posted:

From Giant Bomb's PS4 live stream:

That's brilliant. Aside from the race Change, graphics look pretty amazing :o

Also, earlier in this discussion, lots of people givin' misinformation about rugby rules and stuff.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

It's staggering how different this is from football/soccer. They beat the living poo poo out of each other and keep going while soccer players will curl up in a ball crying if someone so much as taps their shoulder.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Davfff posted:

Also, earlier in this discussion, lots of people givin' misinformation about rugby rules and stuff.

Care to enlighten us? I don't think that I made any mistakes, and I didn't notice anything from other posters.

Kitty Cowboy
Apr 12, 2012

LimburgLimbo posted:

Care to enlighten us? I don't think that I made any mistakes, and I didn't notice anything from other posters.

I would be skeptical of anyone who says they understand the rules of rugby since 1) there are three forms of rugby (Union, League, and 7's) with slightly different rules, 2) the rules have changed frequently (see 'pulling down a maul'), and 3) I've never met a rugby player who actually cares about the details. It gets worse in the US because the sport has such little following. You often get only one or two qualified refs in a particular region, and they likely have idiosyncratic views on the rules.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Tracula posted:

It's staggering how different this is from football/soccer. They beat the living poo poo out of each other and keep going while soccer players will curl up in a ball crying if someone so much as taps their shoulder.

That's because Soccer and Basketball are about theatricality as much as they are about athleticism.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Tracula posted:

That's almost entirely because FIFA doesn't allow referees to consult video replays on the basis that referee mistakes are "part of the game", and as it's a low scoring game even a minor penalty might mean the difference between your team winning and losing. Sure they'll review the footage after the game and you might get suspended for a few months (with pay) when they see you took an obvious dive, but your team doesn't unlose a match that you might've gotten a million dollar bonus for winning.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Tracula posted:

It's why it's the best sport.

butros has a new favorite as of 02:06 on Nov 19, 2013

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

reminds me of that suplex from the Fedor Emelianenko/Kevin Randlemann Pride fight

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

stratdax posted:

I don't know if you can even call US football a sport any more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonesJackson
Aug 12, 2005
*grumble grumble*

Prickly Pete posted:

reminds me of that suplex from the Fedor Emelianenko/Kevin Randlemann Pride fight

Honest question here. If a fighter actually snaps his neck because of one of these moves, are any repercussions meted out? Is that just considered like a hazard of the trade?

• Locked thread