Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010

Grey Hunter posted:

Sorry for the slowness of this update, I had a save file corruption that cost me 5 years of gameplay. I had to replay.
This is annoying, as in the previous version Mamoudou II died early on and Fodi was a terrible Mansa, civil war erupted and all was blood.

drat shame, that would have been entertaining. Still, puts you in a better position to introduce your Well-Snake to the virgin world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I would like for the new Mansa's name to be spelled "Bongo" at every opportunity henceforth.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

fermun posted:

Truly the Well Snake is a powerful god, turning back time itself when things went badly.

We have chosen our faith well indeed :v:!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

I would like for the new Mansa's name to be spelled "Bongo" at every opportunity henceforth.

Oh. Until your post, I thought that's how it was spelled.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Nice to see Aquitaine becoming dominant in the north, though the Qadirids have solidified as well. I find the Christians lose too often in Iberia, the constant north-south pressure will continue to attrit the Qadirids over the long term.
The back and forth battle is also more entertaining than a straightforward victory.

Anyway, there'll probably be some massive civil war before the end of CK2, at the rate we're expanding without tricking out our nation.

Readingaccount fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 17, 2013

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Jonny Nox posted:

Oh. Until your post, I thought that's how it was spelled.

Some spelling mistakes are to funny to correct....

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Grey Hunter posted:

Some spelling mistakes are to funny to correct....

I like how you're insinuating that you notice the spelling mistakes, or care about them :P

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Neruz posted:

I like how you're insinuating that you notice the spelling mistakes, or care about them :P

I notice some, and care about most. I shall defiantly be spelling defiantly defiantly however.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
It wouldn't be the real Grey Hunter ExperienceTM without the spelling mistakes.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Grey Hunter posted:

I notice some, and care about most. I shall defiantly be spelling defiantly defiantly however.

After 5 years, we've all learned to mentally substitute "definitely", don't worry.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Volmarias posted:

After 5 years, we've all learned to mentally substitute "definitely", don't worry.

I'm actually too short sighted/read words as a complete shape to be able to make out the precise letters so I didn't even notice until it was pointed out.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Mercenaries are raised and sent north, meanwhile, the peasants revolt.

The army forms up, but not in time, the Muslim forces assault the cities, throwing away lives for time. This allows them to bring the war to a close before Ghanan forces can be brought to bare.

Every Mansa needs a nickname, Bongo the Fat shall be Bongas.

The army marches to engage the peasants, who run away.

We quickly retake the land they took then give chase, finally bringing them to battle.

They are defeated in two battles and the leader captured and banished, leaving the state 75 gold.

Duru leads a mass revolt against Bongo.

The Mansa raises his troops, and soon battles are erupting across the country.

The Rebels win a string of early victories before Bonga is able to mass his forces and begin to clean them up.

Leading from the front, Bonga dies in battle.

Ten year old Fadazu takes the throne, greedy and gluttonous, his is not looking like the best of rulers so far.

The war continues, a Duru is slain in battle. Unfortunately, not THAT Duru.

Isolated in the castle, Fadazu is happy with his lot.

The war has gone on long enough that fresh levies can be raised, these numbers tip the war finally into the Loyalist camp.

Fadazu learns to be a just ruler.

Just when you think things can't get any worse....

Days later, the largest of Fadazu's armies, nine thousand men in all, melts away, returning to their masters.
The Duru war is ended with a white peace.

As soon as these lords agree to the peace, their men are once more raised to deal with the new war!

Fadazu is learning from this constant conflict, he learns that he must always strive to be the best!

The war drags on through numerous small battles, but the Loyalist forces (made up mainly of former traitors) once more tip the scales.

Finally, the last major rebel force is caught in battle.

Having spent all of his reign at war, Fadazu finally comes of age, he is a master of the books, and not to shoddy in his learning. He is just, kind, ambitious if a bit gluttonous.

The rebels meanwhile, have also raised fresh troops. The Ghanan army marches to deal with them.

The war ends, its almost like no-one can remember what they were fighting over.

Only Lignure is slow to return to the fold, but quickly return under threat of war.

For the first time in eight years the kingdom it at peace. The Mansa empties his prisons of twelve noblemen and women captured during the revolts.

Fadazu legitimize his first bastard.

The Qadirid's have another civil war. With his manpower recovered, Fadazu orders an attack. This time the smaller target of Infi is chosen for the holy war.

The forces mass, by the Qadirid forces get the quicker and inflict defeats on the Ghanan forces.

The only thing that saves us from a total rout is the two rebel forces fighting each other.

To make matters worse, smallpox runs through the nation, claiming many, including the Mansa's son!

The reformed Ghanan force goes once more into battle.

We win the battle and the war! Capturing the Sultan give them no other choice but to cede the lands to Ghana.

Fadazu gets a legitimate daughter and a new nickname.

The Thirteenth Century is about to begin, and Ghana has not changed much in size in the last hundred years.

Aquitaine is currently undergoing a civil war, otherwise it is a strong nation.

France still holds land in Italy, while Lombardy is still strong.

Wessex, Scotland and Ireland still fight it out over Britannia.

Norway and Finland are the major Scandinavian powers.

Central Europe is a patchwork of small nations.

The Seljuk Turks have broken down into a number of large nations in Eastern Europe.

The Romans are fragmented but still hanging in there.

The same large powers rule the Middle East and north-east Africa. The Shushtarids are another Slejuk offshoot.

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

Grey Hunter posted:

Fadazu legitimize his first bastard.

Why would we lose piety for legitimizing bastards, surely the snake in the well only approves of such activities.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

Why would we lose piety for legitimizing bastards, surely the snake in the well only approves of such activities.

Simple. A true Ogoonu Mansa does not need to legitimise the many children born outside the royal bed, as he should have sired a dozen on his wife as well. It suggests a desperate king whose seed is weak and whose devotion to the well snake is flagging.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Hopefully now that Grey conquered us some pretty borders, we'll manage to keep those lands. That's two holy wars we have won and lost!

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

nimby posted:

Hopefully now that Grey conquered us some pretty borders, we'll manage to keep those lands. That's two holy wars we have won and lost!

The borders will not be good enough until the two ends meet. :colbert:

Hopefully we can control all of the land up to the Strait of Gibraltar. I would be content with that.

Hyord
Aug 24, 2011

nimby posted:

The borders are not yet as pretty as possible. We need to secure Morocco!

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Hyord posted:

The borders are not yet as pretty as possible. We need to secure Morocco Surgut!

And possibly Vestisland.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Hyord posted:

The borders are not yet as pretty as possible. We need to secure Morocco Surgut Mecca!

I mean, if we're aiming big, might as well go straight for the top prize (and it's technically ours anyway :colbert: ...

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Serpentis posted:

I mean, if we're aiming big, might as well go straight for the top prize (and it's technically ours anyway :colbert: ...

Rome?

Also, is Byzantium having a civil war, or is the empire just that broken up?

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

All 37 of them. :black101:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Soylent Pudding posted:

All 37 of them. :black101:

In a row?

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

There is but one Rome, and all others are just imitators. :agesilaus:

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

Veloxyll posted:

Rome?

Also, is Byzantium having a civil war, or is the empire just that broken up?

Who needs to become Rome? We should become Carthage instead.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
So it should be, what, another decade or so before the Mongols show up and start ruining everyone's poo poo?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ChrisAsmadi posted:

Yep, we don't need those Eurocentric titles, the Snake has its own legacy!

Bluemage142
Jun 22, 2009

A little logic in the right place can cause chaos without limit.

ChrisAsmadi posted:

We should. Problem is, Rome beat Carthage. So what we need to do is conquer Rome before we become Carthage.

...and maybe Byzantium. And St. Petersburg, just to be safe. Heck, let's conquer all the Romes, just to make absolutely sure we don't end up in another set of Punic Wars... and so the Mansa can sleep with women from every Rome.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Does anyone know where I can find a list of Romes? It's pretty difficult to find anything on the net claiming anything beyond third Rome.

Oh, and Grey, will you be editing Ghanan culture to Ogoonu culture by EU4, as suggested by someone? Potentially horrible if hilarious implications, but awesome enough to be worth it.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

The Sandman posted:

So it should be, what, another decade or so before the Mongols show up and start ruining everyone's poo poo?

Its the start of the 13th century now so the Mongol hordes should come rolling out of the steppes in about a decade or two; the Mongol Empire started quite early in the 13th century but it took until aroind 1220 before it reached far enough west to be part of this map.

Readingaccount posted:

Does anyone know where I can find a list of Romes? It's pretty difficult to find anything on the net claiming anything beyond third Rome.

Im pretty sure almost every semi-major european empire was declaring itself the new Rome in this era.

Neruz fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Nov 19, 2013

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
'Third Rome' and the idea of various peoples keepng the Roman flame alight is really just the Russian's spin on the whole Romes thing: everyone has a vague Rome myth somewhere (Bede, writing the 7th century, claims the British Isles are first settled by Brutus). Hell even if you restrict it to places with 'Rome' in the actual name, OTL has three Romes at this rough stage in the game in the HRE and Byzantium, plus the Sultanate of Rum (in Anatolia).

e: basically if you want to sound legitimate say you're Rome.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Obliterati posted:

'Third Rome' and the idea of various peoples keepng the Roman flame alight is really just the Russian's spin on the whole Romes thing: everyone has a vague Rome myth somewhere (Bede, writing the 7th century, claims the British Isles are first settled by Brutus). Hell even if you restrict it to places with 'Rome' in the actual name, OTL has three Romes at this rough stage in the game in the HRE and Byzantium, plus the Sultanate of Rum (in Anatolia).

e: basically if you want to sound legitimate say you're Rome.

HRE, Byzantium, Sultanate of Rum, and the Bishop of Rome, and however much of the Italian country side he's grabbing at at the moment.

GenHavoc
Jul 19, 2006

Vive L'Empreur!
Vive La Surcouf!
What happened to Sweden? They went from dominating Scandinavia to non-existent between a pair of updates.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

GenHavoc posted:

What happened to Sweden? They went from dominating Scandinavia to non-existent between a pair of updates.

It looks like Finland happened.

Readingaccount
Jan 6, 2013

Law of the jungle
Wasn't Karelia in charge? I think you might be thinking of Viscardus' LP.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I wouldn't say Finland is in charge. Those counties are large, but comparatively lovely; those 10-12 counties of theirs likely have only 15-20 holdings in total, while Bergslagen is likely to have twice that. If Finland were to attack Bergslagen, they would most likely get their asses sorely whipped. They should be pretty secure up there, though, if they're still Suomenesku, or whatever their particular brand of paganism was called - if Bergslagen were to invade Finland, they'd most likely lose all their levies to attrition in a heartbeat.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

the JJ posted:

HRE, Byzantium, Sultanate of Rum, and the Bishop of Rome, and however much of the Italian country side he's grabbing at at the moment.

:eng101: The Papal State was actually a remnant from the Byzantine reconquest of Italy in the mid-sixth century. After the Black Death ravaged the Empire, it was unable to prevent the Lombards from swarming into the peninsula in the 570s. The old Roman provinces that had governed Italy even through the collapse of the Western Empire were dissolved and replaced with minor duchies around the major cities, with the Exarch of Ravenna (supposedly) commanding them all in the Emperor's name.

With the Muslim and Slavic invasions of the 600s and 700s, the Empire never gathered the resources to secure Italy again. The Exarchate slowly began to shift into feudalism as the cities became more and more independent, until the last Exarch was killed by the Lombards in 751.

Imperial ambassadors went to Pepin, King of the Franks, and asked him to reconquer the exarchate for the Emperor. There was a legal reason - the Franks had been assigned land in the Empire four hundred years earlier as federati, meaning they were largely autonomic vassals of the Emperor, a status which had continued even after the Western half collapsed. Of course, after four centuries of independence and the Muslim invasions destroying any chance of the Empire projecting power in Western Europe, the Franks weren't particularly beholden to the distant Emperor. Pepin replied that he would conquer Italy, but for the city of Rome.

And so he did, granting the former exarchate's territory to the Pope.

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011
The point is, it's another Rome.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Byzantine posted:

:eng101: The Papal State was actually a remnant from the Byzantine reconquest of Italy in the mid-sixth century. After the Black Death ravaged the Empire, it was unable to prevent the Lombards from swarming into the peninsula in the 570s. The old Roman provinces that had governed Italy even through the collapse of the Western Empire were dissolved and replaced with minor duchies around the major cities, with the Exarch of Ravenna (supposedly) commanding them all in the Emperor's name.

With the Muslim and Slavic invasions of the 600s and 700s, the Empire never gathered the resources to secure Italy again. The Exarchate slowly began to shift into feudalism as the cities became more and more independent, until the last Exarch was killed by the Lombards in 751.

Imperial ambassadors went to Pepin, King of the Franks, and asked him to reconquer the exarchate for the Emperor. There was a legal reason - the Franks had been assigned land in the Empire four hundred years earlier as federati, meaning they were largely autonomic vassals of the Emperor, a status which had continued even after the Western half collapsed. Of course, after four centuries of independence and the Muslim invasions destroying any chance of the Empire projecting power in Western Europe, the Franks weren't particularly beholden to the distant Emperor. Pepin replied that he would conquer Italy, but for the city of Rome.

And so he did, granting the former exarchate's territory to the Pope.

I had always thought that Pepin gave the Papal States to the pope as a favor in exchange for the pope's crowning him. I never heard of an imperial delegation to the Franks until their little squabble with Charlemagne.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

How many Romes does Rome count as by now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Arglebargle III posted:

How many Romes does Rome count as by now?

Half a Rome, it's too worn-out to count for more.

• Locked thread