Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PS1 Hagrid
Sep 17, 2007

Wasn't too excited about the new Zelda.

Suddenly got linked to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCJBI0BCIoc

I'm now REALLY excited about the new Zelda.

PS1 Hagrid fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Nov 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn

blackflare posted:

Does anyone know if there are any upcoming deals on a regular 3ds? I got a 3dsxl on amazon and I'm thinking of returning it and getting a small one, its just too uncomfortable to hold / play with. I don't mean doorbuster black friday deals though, nothing is worth that.

If you like purple you can get a refurb one from Nintendo directly for $105. Not sure if that's a price that's going to last but with shipping ($5) it's $10 more than waiting for a black friday $99 2DS at Walmart :v:

Personally purple is always best so I did that instead of getting a 2DS. I got rid of my XL for the same reason though.

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Nov 19, 2013

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Hungry Bit posted:

I'm now REALLY excited about the new Zelda.
He even has his 90s haircut. This is the first Zelda game I've been excited for since Majora's Mask... not to imply that MM was disappointing in any way. Just, y'know, thirteen years of entires in the series since just haven't caught my eye the way Link Between Worlds has.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Hey Aussies, The Good Guys is doing a $10 clearance at the moment (click), so if you feel like buying something locally for a change, now's your chance!

3/DS games include but are not limited to:

Resident Evil Revelations
Kid Icarus Uprising
Dead or Alive Dimensions
Super Street Fighter 4
Tekken 3D
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity
Sonic Generations
Mario & Sonic 2012
Lego City Undercover

Mario Kart DS
Pokemon Black/White
Pokemon Black/White 2
Professor Layton & Pandora's Box
Rhythm Heaven
Art Academy
Super Scribblenauts (with DS carry case)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Hey Aussies, The Good Guys is doing a $10 clearance at the moment (click), so if you feel like buying something locally for a change, now's your chance!

Wonderful, I might grab KI:U.. well, when their site decides to respond.

blackflare
Dec 6, 2004

I am a Purrrfect Princess

ACID POLICE posted:

If you like purple you can get a refurb one from Nintendo directly for $105. Not sure if that's a price that's going to last but with shipping ($5) it's $10 more than waiting for a black friday $99 2DS at Walmart :v:

Personally purple is always best so I did that instead of getting a 2DS. I got rid of my XL for the same reason though.

Thanks, I do like purple. And I'm glad someone agrees with me, I keep getting weird looks when I mention how uncomfortable the XL is. It's completely destroying my hands.

MagusProject
Apr 20, 2008

Do you know if these guys will do shipping to New Zealand? I checked the NZ version of their site, but it didn't have the sale on.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

3/DS games include but are not limited to:

Resident Evil Revelations
Kid Icarus Uprising
Dead or Alive Dimensions
Super Street Fighter 4
Tekken 3D
Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity
Sonic Generations
Mario & Sonic 2012
Lego City Undercover

Mario Kart DS
Pokemon Black/White
Pokemon Black/White 2
Professor Layton & Pandora's Box
Rhythm Heaven
Art Academy
Super Scribblenauts (with DS carry case)

Do you know if this just online, or is it in stores as well? Also, Cooking Guide DS on clearance for $10? I got it on clearance at Target for $4! What awful discounts :rolleyes:.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Iwata Asks: Link Between Worlds!

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Early reviews for A Link Between Worlds are overwhelmingly positive. I'll probably grab this first thing Friday morning. I can't wait!

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

It's sort of amazing that they had no ideas for a year, Miyamoto didn't like a 20 year old idea, they argue, and then they have a prototype in one day.

bacalou
Mar 21, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

Early reviews for A Link Between Worlds are overwhelmingly positive. I'll probably grab this first thing Friday morning. I can't wait!

I love that Destructoid's review is just sitting at the bottom of the pile, glaringly. Chris Carter has stupid opinions.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Yeah I'm gonna miss the XL's screen but I'm not going to miss needing to put in on a table if I want to play for more than like 5 minutes :v:

This'll be my second purple non-XL too!

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

It looks they were initially going to use Toon Link in Link Between Worlds and the camera angle similar to Spirit Tracks.

Also I love this soundtrack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7eknx7xqmo

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Crosspost from the Wii U thread:

So, this is interesting (click) - a mysterious rating for "NES Remix" appeared on the Australian ratings/classification website. (Ignore the "multi-platform" thing, they always say that.) Speculation ahoy!

Incidentally, there's also a rating for "Steel Diver Subwars", which is probably the free-to-play adaptation of Steel Diver that Iwata mentioned a few months back.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

pichupal posted:

It's sort of amazing that they had no ideas for a year, Miyamoto didn't like a 20 year old idea, they argue, and then they have a prototype in one day.

I like how they didn't see the irony that a 20 year old game idea was later remade into a remake of a 20 year old game.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
So, about the fears that the Sega buyout would stop Atlus US from localising weird stuff... Conception 2 is heading West for 3DS and Vita, Atlus US handling the localisation. I would assume from this that all SMT titles remain shoo-ins.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Delusibeta posted:

So, about the fears that the Sega buyout would stop Atlus US from localising weird stuff... Conception 2 is heading West for 3DS and Vita, Atlus US handling the localisation. I would assume from this that all SMT titles remain shoo-ins.

So...is this one of those JRPGs I'll be embarrassed to be caught playing or are the dating sim parts more like Persona 3 and 4's and not completely creepy?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Delusibeta posted:

Well that was certainly a game I didn't expect to get localizing. Looks like any fears about how Atlus USA is going to be handled can be put to rest, at least until one of their weird localization choices completely underperforms.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Delusibeta posted:

It's a baby-making sim/JRPG hybrid? What in the gently caress.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Something like Fire Emblem: Awakening, then, right? Right? :v:

Dunban
Jul 4, 2012

OH MY GOD GLOVER
So this is a pretty sweet deal, fellow EU folks:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-19-register-a-3ds-and-game-this-christmas-get-mario-3d-land-free

quote:

New 3DS owners will be able to nab a free copy of excellent Nintendo platformer Super Mario 3D Land over the festive period.

To be eligible, you'll need to register a 3DS or 3DS XL and one of the participating games below on Nintendo's Club Nintendo website between 15:01 UK time 27th November and 22:59 UK time on 13th January.

Those games are:

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Bros.
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Zelda: A Link Between Worlds
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D
Fire Emblem: Awakening
Luigi's Mansion 2
Lego City Undercover
Sonic Lost World (3DS)
Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (3DS)
Pokémon X
Pokémon Y
Bravely Default (including Deluxe Collector's Edition)
New Super Mario Bros. 2
Mario Kart 7
Professor Layton and the Azran Legacy

You can then request a free download code for Mario 3D Land from Nintendo UK's site.

The offer does not apply to anyone who has already registered a 3DS system - although, of course, if you have yet to register a system you've already bought you should now wait until the 27th to do so.

Perfect timing what with the Zelda 3DS XL being released.

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Dunban posted:

NoA & Reggie need to get their poo poo together.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I can't wait to pick up Zelda on Friday.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Dunban posted:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-11-19-register-a-3ds-and-game-this-christmas-get-mario-3d-land-free

Pretty similar to the U.S. promotion from April, but with a lot more eligible games you can register. Nice! I've been sitting on the Club Nintendo code from my XL in case we get another one of these stateside.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Ugh. The pain for being a citizen of a non-NC European nation hits again. So close but so far.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
They had a near identical promotion in Europe last year as well, only difference was their were a few games up for selection (the only other decent one was a Professor Layton game). The main reason I updated to an XL from an original 3DS was due to GAME in the UK selling limited white 3DS XL's with Mario Kart 7 preloaded, then getting Mario 3D Land for free after registering it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Delusibeta posted:

Shoo-in for just America you mean?

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

quote:

You must have registered two products: (i) a Nintendo 3DS or Nintendo 3DS XL system (European version; Nintendo 2DS excluded) and (ii) one out of fifteen eligible games in Club Nintendo at https://www.club-nintendo.com between 27th November 2013, 15:01 (UK time) and 13th January 2014, 22:59 (UK time).

I have four of those games, but I guess I should hold off on registering my 2DS or any of my games until the next random promotion? :psyduck:

Otto Octopus
Aug 12, 2009

So there's some really interesting bits from that interview, such as where they decided that having a game run at 60 fps is actually worth it (apparently the Ocarina of Time remake is only 30 fps):

quote:

Aonuma: That's right. When Mouri-san suddenly asked about doing 60 frames per second, I answered, "Huh? But 30 frames per second is plenty for The Legend of Zelda!" But he persisted, and when I asked why, he said it stabilizes the stereoscopic 3D.

Iwata: That would be twice the usual number of 30 frames, so the graphics would look smoother.

Aonuma: Yes. As a result, it's easier for the focus of the stereoscopic 3D to come together. I had them show me the game running in 30fps as well as in 60fps and the difference was crystal clear.

They also apparently worked on how to make the Zelda concept new and interesting for a couple of years, and went through a bunch of ideas, before settling on the Link to the Past idea:

quote:

Tominaga: Without letting myself be constrained by the world of The Legend of Zelda, I made a few small dungeons with entering-the-wall ideas I came up with, and then about May of 2012, I presented them to Miyamoto-san saying that I would be making 50 more of these dungeons where you used the entering-walls ability.

Iwata: What was Miyamoto-san's reaction?

Tominaga: He tore it up! (laughs)

Shikata: Again! (laughs)

Everyone: (laughs)

Tominaga: But he didn't just criticize, he also gave us a hint. He suggested basing it on The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past.

And apparently Link's 3D model in the game, and everything else, are secretly leaning back at almost a 45 degree angle relative to the ground (pictures in the interview):

quote:

Iwata: A true top-down view actually has lots of problems. If you make it truthfully, it doesn't look interesting at all.

Shikata: That's right.

Iwata: So you have to fake it-but in a good way.

Aonuma: Right. We decided to fudge it a bit. Then I was on a speaking session at New York Comic-Con15 in October, and...

Iwata: You revealed the trick.

Aonuma: Yes. I showed Zelda fans pictures from a side view as well as from above, and it reveals that Link and the rupees were set at an angle.

Iwata: I saw those pictures too, that world looked so strange that I wanted to say, "What in the world?!" (laughs)

Aonuma: Yeah. We had purposefully tilted the objects back so you could see Link and the others' faces and bodies when looking from directing above.

Iwata: That way, instead of an unrecognizable green object, it looked like Link.

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Has there been any info on if/when Monster Hunter 4 is coming to Europe?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

blackflare posted:

Thanks, I do like purple. And I'm glad someone agrees with me, I keep getting weird looks when I mention how uncomfortable the XL is. It's completely destroying my hands.

Glad I'm not the only one. I like my XL but holy hell is it causing me pain all up and down my arm. Even with my monstro hands.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I am getting the Zelda XL on Friday. What is the best way to transfer everything from my current 3DS? Back up the SD on my PC, then run the system transfer utility? Will this ensure all my saves go and will I need to wupe the SD card (I have a 32 GB one and I'm pretty sure I have more than 2GB of stuff on it)? Also, it's an ambassador 3DS, so will it transfer the games from that?

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
One of the steps in the transfer process is quite literally "remove the SD card from the old 3DS and put it into the new one". And yes, it transfers pretty much everything, including the Ambassador licenses.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Endless Mike posted:

I am getting the Zelda XL on Friday. What is the best way to transfer everything from my current 3DS? Back up the SD on my PC, then run the system transfer utility? Will this ensure all my saves go and will I need to wupe the SD card (I have a 32 GB one and I'm pretty sure I have more than 2GB of stuff on it)? Also, it's an ambassador 3DS, so will it transfer the games from that?

I went from a red 3DS XL to a black 3DS XL and when I did the system transfer, it even copied over all of the SD card contents. Not even thumbs.db resided on the old card. :cool:

bacalou
Mar 21, 2013

Endless Mike posted:

I transferred from my Cosmo Black Ambassador 3DS to the Animal Crossing special edition when it came out. All games registered to your 3DS digitally will transfer ownership, even if you don't have them currently installed. When the process is complete, you can just pop the old system's card into the new one and go from there. If you have any lingering doubts, here is the transfer help page from Nintendo: http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/227/p/430

EDIT: On an unrelated note, Namco Bandai announced a release date for the upcoming One Piece 3DS game. It'll come to North America on February 11th.

bacalou fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Nov 19, 2013

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Nintendo posted:

Remove the SD Card from the source system as it will now be used in the target system.
If the target system has a higher capacity SD Card than the source system, you may choose to transfer your content to the higher capacity SD Card instead. How to

I think his question (mine as well) is basically this, but in reverse. I have like 4gb worth of data on the 32gb SD card in the old system and I'm sure the new one will have a 2gb card. Does it only transfer core system files first, then ask if you'd like to swap SD cards?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
It never asks if you want to swap. It transfers the internal memory stuff, then tells you to put the old card into the new system. If you want to change SD cards, just put them into a computer and copy/paste. You guys are really overthinking it.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Geirskogul posted:

It never asks if you want to swap. It transfers the internal memory stuff, then tells you to put the old card into the new system. If you want to change SD cards, just put them into a computer and copy/paste. You guys are really overthinking it.

Perfect, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Kurtofan posted:

Shoo-in for just America you mean?

I can't tell if you are legitimately asking that question, or just bitching about regions. Treating it like it's a legitimate question, I would assume since Atlus USA is handling it that yes, he is probably referring to the USA.

• Locked thread