Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, at this point the only thing left on my 50th anniversary wishlist is some manner of regeneration that ends in Eccleston. I don't care if its Hurt -> Eccleston or some kind of wibbly wobbly thing where they replay Night of the Doctor except with McGann making a different choice and regenerating McGann -> Eccleston, but I just want to be able to visually witness an unbroken string of regenerations (Not counting the dubiousness of the Troughton -> Pertwee one).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

jivjov posted:

Yeah, at this point the only thing left on my 50th anniversary wishlist is some manner of regeneration that ends in Eccleston. I don't care if its Hurt -> Eccleston or some kind of wibbly wobbly thing where they replay Night of the Doctor except with McGann making a different choice and regenerating McGann -> Eccleston, but I just want to be able to visually witness an unbroken string of regenerations (Not counting the dubiousness of the Troughton -> Pertwee one).

Same here. If Chris shows up this weekend I might actually cry a little bit.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

jivjov posted:

I could totally see Moffat doing something like that.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
And to be completely honest, I'd be perfectly okay with having someone regenerate into a figure with big ears and short hair that you only see from behind and have them play a stock "Fantastic" or something. If Eccleston just doesn't want to return, even for a couple hours worth of shooting a regeneration scene, that's certainly his prerogative.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Honestly I've warmed up to having 12 regenerations by having a secret one
We've had 11th worrying an entire season about his inevitable end, we had 10th worrying about someone knocking four times, having more of that would be old ground at this point. Let 12th worry about something else.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

the dvd for day of the doctor has an exclusive minisode called the Last Day, if Eccleston is to show up anywhere, it'll be there.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007

Teek posted:

On Nine in the 50th:

http://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2013/nov/18/steven-moffat-doctor-who-interview

Sounds like the plan was for the War Doctor to always be a thing regardless of Eccelston, probably to ensure Moffat got to handle the 13 regenerations things. However Chris declined to take part in the full episode... but Moffat then does say:

Last bit being the most interesting. One could take that as, Chris declined to take part in the extended 50th shooting, but did do a short bit...

omg omg omg

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

Davros1 posted:

I could totally see Moffat doing something like that.

Ohhhhh, I bet that's why John Hurt is barely shown in that minisode. Because then you can show both John Hurt and Christopher Ecclestone to the same extent. You see some hands, a body double, a blurry face reflected in armour, a different phrase... and in both cases you need hardly any cooperation from the actors other than a grudging nod.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

qntm posted:

Ohhhhh, I bet that's why John Hurt is barely shown in that minisode. Because then you can show both John Hurt and Christopher Ecclestone to the same extent. You see some hands, a body double, a blurry face reflected in armour, a different phrase... and in both cases you need hardly any cooperation from the actors other than a grudging nod.

Oh wow, the War Doctor becomes an invalid incarnation and the Ninth is a do-over because of events of the Time War. Holy crap.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I think

quote:

Moffat had met him for a "very amiable and gentlemanly" conversation and the actor considered it "quite seriously" before saying no. "It's just not the sort of thing he does," concludes Moffat. "The ninth Doctor turns up for the battle but not the party."
means "Eccleston said "no" to coming back at all. That the 9th Doctor/Eccleston is the type of person who would show up for a battle, but not a party (the "party" being the 50th anniversary, the "battle" probably being the revival of a dead franchise).

I think what we'll see, if anything, is Hurt regenerating into a short haired body double of Eccleston seen from behind who says "Fantastic!" via a dub, taking place on "The Last Day" of the Time War in that minisode on the DVD.

Nor do I think they will de-retcon The War Doctor and have McGann change to Eccleston, because that would change the Time War.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Even if the War Doctor gets wounded, says his goodbyes and stumbles into the TARDIS, and they then show some footage from Rose with Nine checking his reflection later, I think I'll be okay with it. I want to believe that they tricked me again, and that other Doctors filmed really quick scenes or snippets of dialogue, but getting an Eighth Doctor clip was more than enough.

edit:

Astroman posted:

Nor do I think they will de-retcon The War Doctor and have McGann change to Eccleston, because that would change the Time War.

Not necessarily. The Time War existing in some bubble (wellll, it's not a bubble, but etc.) outside of time leaves a lot of room for creating some kind of a sixth dimension with extra-time travel or something. They will not do that, because it's too confusing and narrative-wise it isn't very interesting, but still, the rules of time travel (what few Doctor Who follows) are completely out the window for the war.

edit: wait, I'm in the spoiler thread again :wth:

Bicyclops fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Nov 19, 2013

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost
If the Time War were completely removed from history, then Cass likely wouldn't have had a reason to reject the Doctor's escape offer, resulting in the Doctor avoiding his own death, creating a paradox along the same lines as The Wedding of River Song or Turn Left.

I'd like to think that the War Doctor either gets himself killed in the process of time locking the war or regenerates of his own will to rid himself of the warrior (Sisterhood of Karn induced), resulting in 9. The latter allows them to effectively redo Night of the Doctor as Hurt >> Eccleston.

Varance fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Nov 19, 2013

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Varance posted:

If the Time War was completely removed from history, then Cass likely wouldn't have had a reason to reject the Doctor's escape offer, resulting in the Doctor avoiding his own death, creating a paradox along the lines of River not killing the Doctor.

And then Rose's dad has to kill himself.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lots of people remember the Time War besides the Doctor.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!

jivjov posted:

And to be completely honest, I'd be perfectly okay with having someone regenerate into a figure with big ears and short hair

Barack Obama as the ninth doctor

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Neowyrm posted:

Barack Obama as the ninth doctor

Hey, maybe then he'd be able to reveal his plan to fix the world economy...

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Lots of people remember the Time War besides the Doctor.

The Time War is always something I thought worked best the less directly it was addressed. It was good as a way to explain the Time Lords and Daleks being gone and the general reset of the new series, but as soon as stuff from it started getting brought up specifically, it ran into a well of problems. In one of the very first Ninth Doctor episodes it's established it was supposed to be invisible to lesser species, but just about every alien group seems to know about it (and in End of Time and Night of the Doctor, it seems like a ton took part, and even more were threatened by its effects). Plus from the start there was the problem of it supposedly wiping the Time Lords and Daleks from history, but everyone still remembering them.

Then once the Time War was actually described, it was a lot less interesting than viewers could have imagined. The Time Lady's description of it in End of Time seemed pretty lame, of it just being basically a normal war whose soldiers were in a Groundhog Day loop.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Personally, I can wrap my head around the idea that for most of the Time War it was generally "invisible", but as it really kicked in (Nightmare Childs, etc), even the least of sensitive species began to pick up on it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Time War was mentioned as being invisible to all but the "higher races" though I can't remember which episode it was in (I was going to say "The End of the World" but that seems much too early; it might have been "The Shakespeare Code").

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

If it was a war across all time and space I suspect it would have varied in which species noticed it or not. Hell, Earth itself was probably blown up countless times as part of the war, with things being undone and redone over and over. Odd people around the place remembering pockets of timelines that now never happened, cause and effect being hosed.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Metal Loaf posted:

The Time War was mentioned as being invisible to all but the "higher races" though I can't remember which episode it was in (I was going to say "The End of the World" but that seems much too early; it might have been "The Shakespeare Code").

It was the Dickens episode, I think. One of the ghost creatures mentions it.

I also noticed that at least in the Eccleston season it's mentioned several times that the Time Lords and Daleks are remembered as distant legends, which suggests that they still 'existed' but only in the distant past in comparison to the 'present' of the universe.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Sontaran two-parter in season four also mentioned that the Sontarans wanted to fight in the war but either weren't allowed or weren't able to (which is odd, because you'd think either side would've liked to enlist the so-called "perfect soldiers").

Twisted Perspective
Sep 15, 2005

I've come to see you...

Metal Loaf posted:

The Sontaran two-parter in season four also mentioned that the Sontarans wanted to fight in the war but either weren't allowed or weren't able to (which is odd, because you'd think either side would've liked to enlist the so-called "perfect soldiers").

Or made them their first target.

Twisted Perspective fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 19, 2013

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Metal Loaf posted:

Neither side would see a use for them, really. The Daleks certainly wouldn't have them. The only thing a Sontaran (or anything else) does better than a Dalek is dying, plus they fight for the glory of battle and not out of hatred. On the other hand, Time Lords are so advanced that they've banished anything that's possibly an equal to other dimensions and probably see everyone else as children that would just get in the way.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Plus the Time Lords are probably still sore from the fact that Sontarans somehow invaded Gallifrey that one time.

(My iPhone just auto-capitalised Gallifrey :3:)

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
About how long before The Eleventh Hour aired did we know what 11's outfit was going to look like? I can't take all this waiting.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

Neowyrm posted:

About how long before The Eleventh Hour aired did we know what 11's outfit was going to look like? I can't take all this waiting.

A couple of months. I think they released an official picture before the costume got photographed during location filming.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Neowyrm posted:

A few months easily. It was the photos from Time of Angels on the beach. But they won't start filming Capaldi's stuff till next year at the earliest, so you've got a while to go..

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

It was the Dickens episode, I think. One of the ghost creatures mentions it.

I also noticed that at least in the Eccleston season it's mentioned several times that the Time Lords and Daleks are remembered as distant legends, which suggests that they still 'existed' but only in the distant past in comparison to the 'present' of the universe.

I never saw it as distant past so much as their still being echos of the Daleks and Time Lords scattered across the universe.

In the Time War it was chaos, total war with the close to godlike powers of Gallifrey and a fully grown Dalek Empire. When the Time Lock was put in place it was the time travel equivalent of a nuclear strike, and removed the Daleks and Time Lords from all of existence. The universe pulled together and the gaps were smoother over, all direct signs of them gone. However their shadows remained. Signs of things the Time Lords and Daleks had done still existing, but no matter how hard you looked, or how much you travelled back in time you would never be able to encounter the cause that resulted in those effects.

I'm dumping all this stuff out now because I firmly expect it to be contradicted in Day of the Doctor, so it's nice to get some last minute speculation in.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Teek posted:

Might be interesting if 8 regenerated on purpose, knowing he needed a harder edge regeneration to handle the Time War.

Looking on the first page, spotted this post from back in May. Well done Teek!

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bicyclops posted:

Not necessarily. The Time War existing in some bubble (wellll, it's not a bubble, but etc.) outside of time leaves a lot of room for creating some kind of a sixth dimension with extra-time travel or something. They will not do that, because it's too confusing and narrative-wise it isn't very interesting, but still, the rules of time travel (what few Doctor Who follows) are completely out the window for the war.

edit: wait, I'm in the spoiler thread again :wth:

We're like our own little Time Bubble in here!

I just think it would be tough to retcon the Time War out simply because 9 and 10 remember it and were so emo about it. It would mean wholesale bits of dialogue and motivation from the first few seasons of their runs would never have happened.

Senor Tron posted:

I never saw it as distant past so much as their still being echos of the Daleks and Time Lords scattered across the universe.

In the Time War it was chaos, total war with the close to godlike powers of Gallifrey and a fully grown Dalek Empire. When the Time Lock was put in place it was the time travel equivalent of a nuclear strike, and removed the Daleks and Time Lords from all of existence. The universe pulled together and the gaps were smoother over, all direct signs of them gone. However their shadows remained. Signs of things the Time Lords and Daleks had done still existing, but no matter how hard you looked, or how much you travelled back in time you would never be able to encounter the cause that resulted in those effects.

This has always been what I've thought, and it was bolstered on screen in Father's Day when the Doctor said the Reapers were the universe's way of self correcting time travel issues since the Time Lords weren't around. Since they were always everywhere by virtue of their time travel ability, it wouldn't be a case of "they existed from say 1.5 to 1.4 billion years ago and now they are gone so they can't do anything." As long as they ever existed they would always be everywhen.

Therefore Old Timeline=Time Lords. New Timeline=Reapers. The ultimate goal of any Time War is to stop your enemy from ever existing, and the Doctor ensured BOTH sides never did with The Moment. I'm hoping this will be cleared up in this episode.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
GMS did mention before about being a "Box-set man" and wanting to see "all the regenerations." So there's gotta be something for Hurt->Eccleston. At least i'll keep telling myself that.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Astroman posted:

This has always been what I've thought, and it was bolstered on screen in Father's Day when the Doctor said the Reapers were the universe's way of self correcting time travel issues since the Time Lords weren't around. Since they were always everywhere by virtue of their time travel ability, it wouldn't be a case of "they existed from say 1.5 to 1.4 billion years ago and now they are gone so they can't do anything." As long as they ever existed they would always be everywhen.

But this isn't the only way that problem has come up. Eccleston talked about being able to sense that there were no Time Lords left in existence. Yet just a few years from them a whole planet of them shows back up for at least a bit, not to mention the Master spent a few years of his own time dicking around the Utopia ship with Lucy Saxon and his robot sphere friends. And that's even taking into account that the Master was somehow able to jam his Time Lord essence during his time on Earth by using the cell phone network, which always seemed pretty dumb to me.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
haha, I'd forgotten that one of the Eccleston episodes established that the consequences of causing a temporal paradox is that giant bloodthirsty demons swoop out of the sky and eat everyone. Never change, doctor Who.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Chairman Capone posted:

But this isn't the only way that problem has come up. Eccleston talked about being able to sense that there were no Time Lords left in existence. Yet just a few years from them a whole planet of them shows back up for at least a bit, not to mention the Master spent a few years of his own time dicking around the Utopia ship with Lucy Saxon and his robot sphere friends. And that's even taking into account that the Master was somehow able to jam his Time Lord essence during his time on Earth by using the cell phone network, which always seemed pretty dumb to me.

On the other hand, if the Time Lords did exist and then the planet got locked away, the Doctor should be able to sense thousands of other Time Lords from before the war zipping around in TARDISes, observing the Universe, various versions of The Rani, The Master, Drax, etc.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

2house2fly posted:

haha, I'd forgotten that one of the Eccleston episodes established that the consequences of causing a temporal paradox is that giant bloodthirsty demons swoop out of the sky and eat everyone. Never change, doctor Who.

I assumed the Paradox Machine kept those monsters locked out of the continuum.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I assumed the Paradox Machine kept those monsters locked out of the continuum.

That would have been a potentially great alternative to the Jesus Doc ending, rather than the satellite network and peoples thoughts being used to turn him into Jesus Doc, the paradox machine is disabled and those creatures swoop in, clearing up all the Masters mess.

Chairman Capone posted:

Thinking very four dimensionally!

All those future appearances happened as a result of the Doctors actions in his own personal future. Barring exceptional circumstances (or it being a Moffat penned episode) The Doctor seems to at least avoid and possibly be prevented from knowledge of his own future actions. So while Gallifrey was going to temporarily re-appear in the future, it hadn't yet reappeared in the future until The Doctor reached that point in his own personal timeline.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Astroman posted:

On the other hand, if the Time Lords did exist and then the planet got locked away, the Doctor should be able to sense thousands of other Time Lords from before the war zipping around in TARDISes, observing the Universe, various versions of The Rani, The Master, Drax, etc.

To be honest, I always thought it was kind of weak that the destruction of Gallifrey meant that all the Time Lords died. Were none of them off world at the time? That seems odd, especially since they were in the middle of a war that spanned all of time and space.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Chairman Capone posted:

To be honest, I always thought it was kind of weak that the destruction of Gallifrey meant that all the Time Lords died. Were none of them off world at the time? That seems odd, especially since they were in the middle of a war that spanned all of time and space.

They haven't ever said it was just the destruction of Gallifrey though have they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
However "The Moment" was used, Nine said that all those in the Time War were wiped out in a second - it seems to have snaked through all of reality and plucked out everything and everyone tangentially related to the War and locked them from reality. It wouldn't matter if they were off world or not at that point. It all ceased to be.

• Locked thread