Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
igv9
Sep 3, 2006
Everything witty I could put here has already been said.

Thermopyle posted:

That's different from saying that, as a matter of course, living in such weather halves the life of your battery.

Sorry if I made it sound as if I was making a general statement, but I was only referring to phones I have had. But to not derail further I will switch to a Fisher Price phone because I must be some kind of crazy outlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's been a while since I've done this, but I'm pretty sure there is a separate folder for "Notifications" which is the one used for SMS/hangouts/etc.

Works! Thanks man!

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Depending on the time of year, Lenovo is bigger than Dell or HP. If they're not currently the largest PC manufacturer, they're in the top three. Lenovo's been making tablets since at least 2010, so I can't imagine a 5"phone being outside of their ability. Like Apple, they have their own in house, dedicated consumer electronics design division; they don't just buy warmed over Foxconn designs.

That said, the few lenovo tablets I've seen in person only rated about an 8, but that was two generations back.
Actually no, their latest Android tablet got a 4.5 on The Verge just a week ago.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Kinda hard to use the *~cloud~* the way Google wants people to when you have a 2GB data plan.

Wifi is a unicorn

And before you say something about it. Keep in mind on an unlimited data plan where I have used 100+ Gigs in a month "just cuz". I'm currently at .02GB used 1/2 way through a month right now. At current rate I could be on a 500meg data plan and have no issues. Google music syncs my Thumbs up list when I'm on wifi and thats the "big user". All apps auto update on WiFi etc.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I'm not sure if they still do this, but some OEM/carrier "enhancements" defaulted to storing contacts on the device only and want you to use the carrier's backup solution.

This is kinda true. Most android phones I have owned DO give you the choice the first time you add a contact. And it remembers that choice. Typically.

But contacts are not the issue, No rep minds moving that data and an SD card is not really needed to migrate that from one to another. Very few phones "dont work" on the cellebrites and the ones that dont typically have some built in migration tool (HTC One for example).

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Nov 19, 2013

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Tunga posted:

I would love to think that this is true but if you're going to use the term "actual data", I think you are somewhat mandated to post, well, the actual data.

Klug was quoting manufacturers who WERE talking actual data. And Klug is basically walking, talking 'actual data'.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

FistEnergy posted:

And Klug is basically walking, talking 'actual data'.

No, that's not how it works.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
OK sorry boss. :smith:

Let's just say 'A lot of users never install their cards' and leave it at that.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

LastInLine posted:

Actually no, their latest Android tablet got a 4.5 on The Verge just a week ago.
It's amusing that an Android OEM manages to make a gimmick device where the gimmick is actually good (according to the review, at least) but is total garbage for completely different reasons.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

LastInLine posted:

Wow, I didn't know The Verge could count that low.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Tunga posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/4/4/4180242/ouya-review

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Tunga posted:

Their lowest review on anything ever is a 3.0 which is also their lowest tablet review. The Lenovo is the sixth lowest rated tablet ever.

All of their lowest reviewed poo poo has been Android things.

Streptovsky
Jan 18, 2012

FistEnergy posted:

"90% of my customers hate phones without removable storage" is one of the dumbest and most blatant lies I've heard in quite a while.

My favorite piece of actual data on SD card usage comes straight from Brian Klug, who has said on many occasions that the vast majority of users don't even INSTALL the memory card, let alone use it. OEMs have told him that unless the card is installed at the factory it's probably wasted.

So I don't know where this paradise of tech-savvy but cloud-shunning users could be found.

Florida.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

EbolaIvory posted:

Wifi is a unicorn

And before you say something about it. Keep in mind on an unlimited data plan where I have used 100+ Gigs in a month "just cuz". I'm currently at .02GB used 1/2 way through a month right now. At current rate I could be on a 500meg data plan and have no issues. Google music syncs my Thumbs up list when I'm on wifi and thats the "big user". All apps auto update on WiFi etc.
DO give you the choice the first time you add a contact. And it remembers that choice. Typically.

Sure would be nice to be able to use my smart phone like a smart phone, though. I used to not worry about streaming Pandora in my car, but now I gotta watch out I don't do it too much.

poo poo like that really sucks.

Streptovsky
Jan 18, 2012

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Sure would be nice to be able to use my smart phone like a smart phone, though. I used to not worry about streaming Pandora in my car, but now I gotta watch out I don't do it too much.

poo poo like that really sucks.

Pandora doesn't use that much data dude. I stream at least 2 hours of it a day off of mobile data and use about half a gig a month.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Streptovsky posted:

Pandora doesn't use that much data dude. I stream at least 2 hours of it a day off of mobile data and use about half a gig a month.

Uses plenty of data for me. Do you use Pandora One by any chance?

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Hendrik posted:

The Galaxy Round seems interesting but I'm having a hard time finding a place that sells/demos them in the UK. Is this a Korea only device?
Yeah, only in South Korea right now.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I did. And 8 hours a day 5 days a week put me at about 5 gigs per month.

Now I just use google music. Same deal though. If I use it tons and tons I couldnt be on a 2 gig plan.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I'm at 4.8GB for the month so far (billing cycle is on the 3rd). 90% of my usage is Play Music All Access 2+ hours/day on my commute since the radio in the car poo poo the bed.

The amount I would pay to go to an 'appropriate' tiered plan would more than pay for a new phone off-contract every year if I wanted to go that fast.

But then I also have enough lines that I can do the upgrade transfer shuffle all I need to, which is how I got my MotoX last week.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

EbolaIvory posted:

Wifi is a unicorn
I'm glad you live in a place where everyone's broadcasting precious Wifi radiowaves out of their assholes, but this isn't the case all over the world, or even just the US.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Streptovsky posted:

I'm not just talking about my preference. I work in this industry, 90% of customers I talk to that want an android phone hate that the HTC One doesn't have removable storage or battery.

I can't tell you how many times I've wished iPhones had SD cards, or even a proprietary removable storage thing made only for iPhones, when we've had to transfer pictures from iPhone to iPhone and there are 4,000+ pictures.

Not even kidding you one time I had a customer with over 15,000 text messages and 8,000 pictures to transfer. It took all day on our machine. Literally, all day. They came in around noon (we opened at 10) and it was finished at like 8:30
As an acne-ridden teenager selling movie tickets to soccer moms at the box office, I too feel qualified to say that I'm "in the biz" too and know how the film industry should be run.

Streptovsky
Jan 18, 2012

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

I started recently but the data usage I mentioned was before I upgraded. Why?

Streptovsky
Jan 18, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

As an acne-ridden teenager selling movie tickets to soccer moms at the box office, I too feel qualified to say that I'm "in the biz" too and know how the film industry should be run.

I wouldn't know that feeling, I'm a manager at a carrier store.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Congratulations on being the dude setting the schedule for the teens selling smartphones. That still doesn't give you an authoritative perspective on "the industry."

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

WOAH GUYS, WE HAVE A :siren:MANAGER:siren: HERE!
DROP ALL OPINIONS AND LISTEN TO THIS GUY

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Streptovsky posted:

Mall kiosks aren't stores.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I know someone who's a manager and all he knows is the best way to rip off Bell which is pretty good in his defense.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Streptovsky posted:

I started recently but the data usage I mentioned was before I upgraded. Why?

Gives you the option for higher quality streams.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender
So, apparently Kitkat is rolling out for the Moto X starting today. Not just soaking, but the full rollout. On Verizon. :wtf:

http://motorola-blog.blogspot.com/2013/11/some-sweet-news-kitkat-comes-to-moto-x_19.html

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Kreeblah posted:

So, apparently Kitkat is rolling out for the Moto X starting today. Not just soaking, but the full rollout. On Verizon. :wtf:

http://motorola-blog.blogspot.com/2013/11/some-sweet-news-kitkat-comes-to-moto-x_19.html

The four horsemen are nigh. :stare:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
If the previous Moto X and Ultra/MAxx updates are any indication, the Droid Ultra's should be seeing 4.4 in 2 to 3 weeks.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, the last time the X got updated, Mini/Ultra/MAXX got the updates exactly two weeks later.

Who knows though, with their sort of quick release of this one, skipping the soak test, maybe we'll see it sooner.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
I'm a little sad the samsung galaxy nexus won't be getting 4.4kk. Any reason why?

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm glad you live in a place where everyone's broadcasting precious Wifi radiowaves out of their assholes, but this isn't the case all over the world, or even just the US.

Yes driving around I'm off WiFi. But what place that you go Dont have it? Stores all seem to have free WiFi. Restraints do. Malls do. Don't be obtuse.

Streptovsky posted:

Managers rarely know poo poo about customers in wireless.

You're more cut off than reps. There's no way you have any idea what you're talking about.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Nov 19, 2013

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

r0ck0 posted:

I'm a little sad the samsung galaxy nexus won't be getting 4.4kk. Any reason why?

Officially: It's outside the 18? month window for which Google promised updates.
Unofficially: TI which made the OMAP SOC on the Gnex doesn't do phone anymore, so there are no updated drivers available.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

EbolaIvory posted:

Yes driving around I'm off WiFi. But what place that you go Dont have it? Stores all seem to have free WiFi. Restraints do. Malls do. Don't be obtuse.

They might, but how many of them actually let you use whatever data you want? The couple times I've connected to a store's wifi, it only let me use that store's site.

\/ That mirrors my experience, too, in Michigan and Hawaii.

hooah fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 19, 2013

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

EbolaIvory posted:

Yes driving around I'm off WiFi. But what place that you go Dont have it? Stores all seem to have free WiFi. Restraints do. Malls do.
In the UK, for example, free Wi-Fi is not that common and frequently requires you to sign up for email/SMS spam, or turns out to have a paywall, or has a password but none of the staff know what it is, or is slower than HSPA anyway.

I used to regularly visit Seattle for work reasons and it was like living in the future over there.

Edit: Though our data plan prices poo poo all over the US's, so it's less of an issue in general.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Nov 19, 2013

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Kreeblah posted:

Update started downloading as I was reading this. gently caress yeah.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

hooah posted:

They might, but how many of them actually let you use whatever data you want? The couple times I've connected to a store's wifi, it only let me use that store's site.

I've never had that issue. Seriously. And I'm not exactly in some mega metro area.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Every store or restaurant wifi I've ever used has an agreement-wall you have to click through on a browser. Data is dead to other apps unless you do. It annoys people on stock ATT phones because they are automatically set to connect to ATT wifi at lots of places. (And I think you can't get rid of that without rooting, I could be wrong.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Every store or restaurant wifi I've ever used has an agreement-wall you have to click through on a browser. Data is dead to other apps unless you do. It annoys people on stock ATT phones because they are automatically set to connect to ATT wifi at lots of places.
Android doesn't pop up the captive portal automatically, regardless of the app you're in? That's surprising.

• Locked thread