Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I assume that the shopkeepers retain their ridiculously fast reflexes from the original. Taking basically any offensive action except for throwing something that isn't a bomb will result in the shopkeeper firing their shotgun one frame later. You can still shoot them with their own guns, but you have to be ready to dodge.

No, I've done it before, and it's super easy. Just freeze the shopkeeper, smash 'em to bits, and then feel free to loot them for whatever else they have.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

So how do you get rid of the ball and chain?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Maybe Olmec can crush it? Of course, if he can't and the ball drags you with it when it falls that could make that fight interesting.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

Suspicious Dish posted:

No, I've done it before, and it's super easy. Just freeze the shopkeeper, smash 'em to bits, and then feel free to loot them for whatever else they have.

That'd work fine if he wasn't in the black market where there was another shopkeeper just offscreen who would've fired before he even jumped on the first shopkeeper. It would've still killed the first shopkeeper, but he'd have had a lot of trouble getting out of there.

Anyway, you get rid of the ball and chain using a few methods. I won't go into detail in case Psych is planning on showing it off in the LP, but generally it's no more resilient than say, the Key in the mines.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Regy Rusty posted:

Have one of those blocks that you can push fall and crush it, or maybe a crusher trap?

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

There are a couple of ways. If you have a lot of ropes or (preferably) the climbing gloves, you can drop almost all the way to the bottom of an ice level and let it dangle in the bottomless pit, which removes it from the game. You can also crush it under a block or drop it in lava.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Kali is such a cool mechanic. I'm hoping there's an expansion to this at some point. I think it'd also be interesting to see them experiment with earlier deaths effecting later level generation, sort of like tombstones in other RL games.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

EightFlyingCars posted:

There are a couple of ways. If you have a lot of ropes or (preferably) the climbing gloves, you can drop almost all the way to the bottom of an ice level and let it dangle in the bottomless pit, which removes it from the game. You can also crush it under a block or drop it in lava.

Huh, didn't think about removing it with dangling it outside the level in the caves. I usually use the lava method if I survive that long.

This last video gave me a laugh when the first level of the temple had lava behind a shopkeeper's wall. This game, always taunting you.

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord

Pyradox posted:

Anyway, you get rid of the ball and chain using a few methods. I won't go into detail in case Psych is planning on showing it off in the LP, but generally it's no more resilient than say, the Key in the mines.

I hope he shoes it off, just because its fun watching people try to break it.

It's really fun to play around with it on. It can do some crazy stuff. It can also break the Moai, though it turns the Hedjet into a diamond.

Pyradox
Oct 23, 2012

...some kind of monster, I think.

PrivateEyeball posted:

It's really fun to play around with it on. It can do some crazy stuff. It can also break the Moai, though it turns the Hedjet into a diamond.

Well really any time you get access to the door within the moai that will happen, the ball and chain just provides an easy way to do so. It ensures that the only way to get the hedjet is to die.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.

PrivateEyeball posted:

I hope he shoes it off, just because its fun watching people try to break it.

I'm definitely going to show a more thorough ball and chain playthrough, it's both really annoying and fun to do all at once. It's incredibly challenging, but on the flipside, you can do lots of fun stuff and it further adds to the chaos that is this game. I'm thinking of a run where I bomb every altar I find, I've already started planning it out a bit.

BoastfulVirus
Jun 13, 2013

I laughed way harder than I should have taking the photo of the ghost, small things like this make this game even more better than I imagine.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I really like the music for the gambling shop. It's just nice and cheery, and it's something to listen to while you spin again and again and again. I think every time I come to one the outcome is either win the present, spend all my money, or run away when the ghost shows up. And the music is even better once the ghost spawns.

Dickey Butts
Feb 3, 2008

Sometimes I doubt your commitment to Sparkle Motion.

Psychedelic Eyeball posted:

I'm definitely going to show a more thorough ball and chain playthrough, it's both really annoying and fun to do all at once. It's incredibly challenging, but on the flipside, you can do lots of fun stuff and it further adds to the chaos that is this game. I'm thinking of a run where I bomb every altar I find, I've already started planning it out a bit.

You are a saint.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Dickey Butts posted:

You are a saint.

Not according to Kali he isn't.

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord
On the note of items affecting the ghost: While the camera is the only player item that affects it, there are other things that can. I know the UFO's attacks will deal damage to her and knock her back a bit. She has infinite health, so the damage doesn't matter, but the knockback may be useful in some capacity.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

PrivateEyeball posted:

She has infinite health, so the damage doesn't matter.
Technically she has 9999 health and a UFO's shot does 1 point of damage to her. Theoretically, given enough time... :science:

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Challenge: Do that!

Prythian
Aug 6, 2012

sweet dreams
Challenge Name: Ghostbusters.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude

Kaubocks posted:

Technically she has 9999 health and a UFO's shot does 1 point of damage to her. Theoretically, given enough time... :science:

One of the big name twitch spelunky guys edited the game to give the ghost 2 health instead and then tried to kill her. Nothing.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I've seen a video where they actually do kill her?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
So, random thought: Can you kidnap the kissing booth x-sel and take them to the exit? I imagine it would be hard as hell, but it might just work...

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Choco1980 posted:

So, random thought: Can you kidnap the kissing booth x-sel and take them to the exit? I imagine it would be hard as hell, but it might just work...

You can. If you pick her up the shopkeeper will try to sell her to you; if you walk out without paying then he treats it like any other shoplifting (i.e. instant shotgun).

Roxors
Feb 18, 2011

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

You can. If you pick her up the shopkeeper will try to sell her to you; if you walk out without paying then he treats it like any other shoplifting (i.e. instant shotgun).

The fun part is that in the original Spelunky she will start running when you put her down without buying her, causing the shopkeeper to aggro. Also I seem to recall the price to buy her was ridiculous in the original, as opposed to stupid in this one.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

GuavaMoment posted:

One of the big name twitch spelunky guys edited the game to give the ghost 2 health instead and then tried to kill her. Nothing.

I don't know what to tell you.

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
Everything I've been told in my life has been a lie. :negative:

Psych, have you considered live commentary as a gimmick? Or are there just too many junk runs that never get posted for that to be worthwhile?

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Welp, you know what needs to be done.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

GuavaMoment posted:

Psych, have you considered live commentary as a gimmick? Or are there just too many junk runs that never get posted for that to be worthwhile?

Judging from the video linked earlier in which he accidentally sacrificed himself to Kali, he does occasional streams, which is like live commentary.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.

GuavaMoment posted:

Everything I've been told in my life has been a lie. :negative:

If I were to do live commentary, it unfortunately should have happened in the early videos, where we were so early in the scheme of things that no playthrough deserved to be scrapped. But as it is right now, I'm getting to the point where a good amount of playthroughs need to be thrashed in order to get a good video.

Finally, I don't think that live commentary would be that good for this game considering how I usually just shut up and concentrate while I play.

Choco1980 posted:

Welp, you know what needs to be done.
Well, I'll showcase this occurrence in one of the videos, but I'm not going to kill the ghost legitimately, though. My harddrive couldn't possibly record for that long.

Devious Vacuum
Oct 24, 2009

Girl Games!

If you want to see Psych die in Spelunky with live commentary, then watch his streams on Twitch! Complete with unnecessary screaming and random tangents: http://www.twitch.tv/psychedelic_eyeball

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So through no fault of your own you can find yourself saddled with a ball and chain, just through bad luck with things exploding offscreen?

Kind of harsh.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Glazius posted:

So through no fault of your own you can find yourself saddled with a ball and chain, just through bad luck with things exploding offscreen?

Kind of harsh.

Through no fault of your own you can just flat out die due to bad luck with things offscreen.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Glazius posted:

Kind of harsh.

Well yeah but it's extremely unlikely though. I've played like 1,000+ runs of Spelunky and it's never happened to me

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

Glazius posted:

Kind of harsh.

Welcome to religion.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, one of the good things about the game is that it's easy to come back from some sort of bullshit. Like getting to the black market with a ton of bombs, lots of money, and six health only to have a boomerang tiki man spawn directly behind the second shop keeper god loving drat stupid goddamn game.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

sector_corrector posted:

Kali is such a cool mechanic. I'm hoping there's an expansion to this at some point. I think it'd also be interesting to see them experiment with earlier deaths effecting later level generation, sort of like tombstones in other RL games.

I liked the way Iji's final boss worked. Every time you got hit by an attack, they'd make it come more frequently. Every time you dodged it, they'd make it more dangerous.

Not died to an arrow trap in a while? Every arrow trap now has two shots! Dying repeatedly to them? Fifty arrow traps per stage until you stop being a dumb.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I actually like to see Psych do a run using this setup (can be any controller through) and beat the game with at least one alive at the end. Would also be a good way to show some of the characters who not been picked.

Heran Bago posted:

Thanks to emulators and Wavebird controller channels I've played some games as two or three players with one set of inputs before. Some friends liked watching the hypnotizing synchronized characters as I kept them together and tried not to hurt myselves. Synchro Spelunky with spelunky death roulette seems to make for a good stream.

I've got as far as the temple this way a couple times. The expanded health pool and respawn coffins are the biggest advantage. Then again it's really really easy to hurt or kill myselves and the time wasted keeping a group together means the ghost shows up which still makes me panic. Two person seems to be the best way to play cheat through this way. If one guy guy is left then it's back to single player until the coffin that's probably on the next floor. With 2 or 3 characters if one only has one health left it could be worth killing them for the chance of new health! It's a fun and interesting challenge that I'd recommend. It doesn't work in the daily challenge because it's single player of course.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Anybody have tips on how to deal with the Black Market when shopkeepers are already aggroed? If I can buy a shotgun inside then it's easy to set up position and deal with all of them, but when I've already killed one then the two on the top layer just immediately rush out and kill me within a few seconds.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!

Fuligin posted:

Anybody have tips on how to deal with the Black Market when shopkeepers are already aggroed? If I can buy a shotgun inside then it's easy to set up position and deal with all of them, but when I've already killed one then the two on the top layer just immediately rush out and kill me within a few seconds.

There's usually a safe corner in the top left/right of the black market entrance. Climbing Gloves or a rope up there make it easy to just wait it out while both of them either shoot each other or fall to the bottom. Its usually the best bet.

As for the ankh guy, you pretty much need to dunk bombs into his pit and pray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Just a heads up for anyone else that plays this on PS3/Vita - they patched in the daily challenges today and fixed slowdown/trophy glitches

• Locked thread