Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
:hfive: Thanks!

BiggerJ posted:

I'd like to email you about making a bigger-than-$10 payment. Also, it might be a good idea to offer the $25 option as a standard Paypal option as well as the $10 one (what with all the extra digital stuff).

Hmm, that IS a good idea. I'll get on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Finally sent my email.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Just uploaded another small teaser trailer. Not MUCH new in here, just a bit more concise than the last:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D9weQcaCnY

BiggerJ posted:

Finally sent my email.

Just got it, thanks!

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Gaspy Conana posted:

Just uploaded another small teaser trailer. Not MUCH new in here, just a bit more concise than the last:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D9weQcaCnY

Just got it, thanks!

I see you still included the epic CGI dropsy. Also, still thinking of my additions to the game.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Floridians! We've got a little final 48 hours show thing coming up in two weeks! It's gonna be fun! I'm going to livestream it too:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/251538531669172/

BiggerJ posted:

I see you still included the epic CGI dropsy. Also, still thinking of my additions to the game.

Take your time. And don't limit yourself, I'm going to be pretty flexible with these since there haven't been a billion people claiming them. :0)

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
New update posted! We've got a super SUPER big announcement soon too. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gB48xcSK4WI

Update #7: Interacting With Dropsy's World, New Teaser, and more!

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

A thought about Dropsy's gameplay:

One of the best things about this game is that the gameplay is synchronized with the nature of the player character. Another game that does this is Deadly Premonition.

Deadly Premonition is an open-world game about an FBI agent hunting a serial killer and discovering the secrets of the town where the trail seems to have ended. In this game, the player can stop pursuing the story at any time and do side-quests, indulge in various activities such as fishing and darts, and so on. Normally, this would be inappropriate for a game like this, except that the player character, Francis York Morgan, is weird. He talks about inappropriate things to others and chats with his unseen friend Zach while driving. His is exactly the kind of person who'd screw around between story-related events.

In Dropsy, puzzles do not involve figuring out how the details of how to do something, but simply figuring out what needs to be done. For example, in most adventure games, if the player needs to activate a machine, simply realizing this isn't enough. It's probably missing a piece or something, and that piece might be attached to a necklace worn by a high priestess or a jerk or something. But in Dropsy, the puzzle would consist of realizing that the machine needs to be used in the first place, and simply finding it. This works well with the character's nature - he's not the brightest crayon in the box, and his motor skills aren't so hot. All he can do is walk, look at things, make feeble attempts to communicate, and try to manipulate things with his stubby hands. Simply understanding what's going on and what needs to be done provides the challenge for both the clown and the person controlling him.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
You've got it exactly! It's making design a bit more challenging as it relies on assuming a lot about how players are going to think on a large scale, and it's going to require a good amount of playtesting to calibrate. The shift in emphasis is a mechanically small one, but it changes a lot about how you play the game.

And Deadly Premonition works pretty well for the sake of your example, but I'd say that Dropsy's weirdness is a bit more played up. Zach's crazy tendencies go unnoticed by most of the inhabitants of his world.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Gaspy Conana posted:

You've got it exactly! It's making design a bit more challenging as it relies on assuming a lot about how players are going to think on a large scale, and it's going to require a good amount of playtesting to calibrate. The shift in emphasis is a mechanically small one, but it changes a lot about how you play the game.

And Deadly Premonition works pretty well for the sake of your example, but I'd say that Dropsy's weirdness is a bit more played up. Zach's crazy tendencies go unnoticed by most of the inhabitants of his world.

It's definitely an interesting, if strange, idea to wrap your head around. What we know of adventure games similar to this is the 'find item, use item, progress' model, whereas in Dropsy, like BiggerJ was saying, it seems more along the lines of 'You need to do X, so how do you do X' instead of 'click here for item, put item a in slot b'. I think I can see some of the challenges, but it's going to be interesting to see how they unfold, or how the game/the player will change depending on it.

As for Deadly Premonition, a lot of people do notice his weirdness. I think the difference lies more in acceptance of that: The characters in DP realize York is weird, but they resign themselves to that weirdness. It's just York, which makes his weirdness more of an 'internal' factor. From what I've seen of Dropsy, that weirdness is a major outward factor, one that actively changes his experiences compared to someone else in a similar situation.

Either way, it's going to be fun watching this unfold.

Also, I curse your reveal video for getting that dropsy song stuck in my head. Curse you, I say!

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

J.A.B.C. posted:

As for Deadly Premonition, a lot of people do notice his weirdness. I think the difference lies more in acceptance of that: The characters in DP realize York is weird, but they resign themselves to that weirdness. It's just York, which makes his weirdness more of an 'internal' factor. From what I've seen of Dropsy, that weirdness is a major outward factor, one that actively changes his experiences compared to someone else in a similar situation.

York's skill and status might also come into play. TVTropes calls this 'Bunny Ears Lawyer'. Characters put up with characters like that because of their exceptional brilliance or skill, although with York it might partly or entirely be because of his rank as an FBI agent on an investigation. Dropsy, on the other hand, gives people no automatic reason to tolerate him. Except maybe fear.

Edit: Another random thought: will it be made clear in-game that Dropsy's ability to communicate with animals is not normal? Perhaps a human character could say, "Holy poo poo, you can talk to animals?" - which could be represented as (turd with halo over it)-(Dropsy)-(mouth)-(animal)-(question mark). That first symbol would be the best way to represent an exclamation, because Dropsy would only know what the individual words mean at best, not the phrase. That dialogue system is a good way of showing not what people say, but what Dropsy comprehends when they say things.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Nov 18, 2013

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

edit: fixing doublepost

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Nov 18, 2013

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I've been making these fake websites as a last minute marketing idea thing. Spread them around if you like them!

Buzzfeed: http://dropsy.webstarts.com/
Upworthy: http://dropsy.webstarts.com/upworthy.html

edit, shorter urls:

http://goo.gl/dZ3sIe
http://goo.gl/xLMuy7

Gaspy Conana fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 19, 2013

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Congrats on reaching the first of your stretch goals. :) Not sure how well the Paypal donations are doing, but hopefully you can still bring in that animator and voice artists.

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Ballz posted:

Congrats on reaching the first of your stretch goals. :) Not sure how well the Paypal donations are doing, but hopefully you can still bring in that animator and voice artists.

Thanks! We have about $300 in Paypal right now. Glad you reminded me, I'll have to put that in the next update.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Don't forget that $25 Paypal option. Also, will it be possible for people to buy the Book of Secrets after the game is released?

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Nov 20, 2013

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

BiggerJ posted:

DOn't forget that $25 Paypal option. Also, will it be possible for people to buy the Book of Secrets after the game is released?

I won't forget! I'll put that up tomorrow. Book of Secrets: Probably, but no plans for it at the moment. Too much going on!

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Maybe if you end up on Steam it could be DLC (not all Steam DLC has to be in-game content - there's soundtracks, for example).

Squashy
Dec 24, 2005

150cc of psilocybinic power
I love the Buzzworthy send-up and I hope you make all of your stretch goals!

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Oh, and another thing - are you taking the ten-to-eleven percent cut that Kickstarter and Amazon take from your final total into account?

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Devolver Digital has picked Dropsy up! Whoever guessed it earlier totally gets a Dropsy hug: http://www.devolverdigital.com/blog/view/devolver-digital-and-dropsy-to-conquer-your-fear-of

I retain the IP. If you're wondering how this relates to the KS, here's what they say:

devolver digital posted:

"The Kickstarter funds will continue in their purpose to fund the game and we will provide additional funds to make sure any features or content that aren't covered make it into the game as the team envisions it. On top of that we will fund marketing and other production elements like QA, localization, etc."

Here are a few new screens:

BiggerJ posted:

Oh, and another thing - are you taking the ten-to-eleven percent cut that Kickstarter and Amazon take from your final total into account?

Yeah, definitely.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
So you are basically guaranteed to hit your stretch goals? That is awesome! I'm really happy for you!

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Eonwe posted:

So you are basically guaranteed to hit your stretch goals? That is awesome! I'm really happy for you!

Yep, thanks. :D Though it's an advance, so that money will have to be recouped by them upon release. I hope nobody thinks "Oh, well I guess I don't need to back anymore!" or whatever.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Gaspy Conana posted:

I hope nobody thinks "Oh, well I guess I don't need to back anymore!" or whatever.

On one hand this might have made it a smarter move to reveal this after the kickstarter ended
On the other hand I could very well see people feeling like they got cheated if you revealed right at the end "Surprise! I didn't actually need your money but thanks for giving it to me anyway!"

Anyways this is really cool, I'm glad to see this get picked up by Devolver because Devolver is cool people and now Dropsy can get a lot of marketing and stuff done that it might not have before/would have eaten up time that could have been spent making Dropsy.

Also I totally get a Dropsy hug and that is pretty cool

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
If I hadn't already backed I would actually still see this as a good thing. Suddenly, I can back and be guaranteed a game with all the stretch goals which really do nothing more than to improve the game. That would just make me want to back the game more, not less.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
Oh man, that's great news, I loved Hotline Miami so I am psyched for you to have your game under their banner!

Keep up the good work Jay!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Great news about being picked up there. Congratulations!

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Gaspy Conana posted:

Devolver Digital has picked Dropsy up! Whoever guessed it earlier totally gets a Dropsy hug: http://www.devolverdigital.com/blog/view/devolver-digital-and-dropsy-to-conquer-your-fear-of

I'm really excited to know that this is pretty much guaranteed, but I'm going to call it right now:

New Game + has animal mask mode. Nothing else changes, just Dropsy wearing a horse mask, and drawing horse faces everywhere.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?

J.A.B.C. posted:

New Game + has animal mask mode. Nothing else changes, just Dropsy wearing a horse mask, and drawing horse faces everywhere.
This is a great idea

tehsid
Dec 24, 2007

Nobility is sadly overrated.

Gaspy Conana posted:

Devolver Digital has picked Dropsy up!

Big Congratulations man. I know you've been working hard to get Dropsy made so you must be over the moon.

All the best dude, I can't wait to play.

*edit*
And you got a shout out on RPS. Grats man!
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/21/coulrophobia-begone-devolver-to-publish-dropsy/

tehsid fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Nov 21, 2013

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
Thanks all. :0) I'm waaayyy over the moon. This is all amazing.

So if any of you want A Choose Your Own Adventure coloring book for any reason, they're now available. It also comes with an EP of music.

Dropsy posted:

Joe Badon is illustrating a beautiful 16 page "Choose Your Own Adventure" coloring book! These will be sent out in January, along with a digital download of accompanying original music by me! To order, click "Manage Pledge" and add 11.11 if you live in the US, or 13.11 if you live anywhere else!

Cheesy ad thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ST58R_NJnGE

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Hey Gaspy, you're familiar with this, right?

http://boingboing.net/2013/11/21/the-noun-project-interview-wi.html

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
As much as I'm digging all the enthusiasm and attention Dropsy is getting, I'm definitely feeling a little fatigued. Can't wait for all the madness to be over so I can chill and dive into making the game. :) And so I can maybe get more than five hours of sleep.

Yes! I ran across this while working on the dialogue system a little while ago. It's definitely been an influence.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Are the $200 pledges KS only or can we PayPal them later. This ends right between ps4 launch and black friday so V:shobon:V

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

Gaspy, you might want to change the phrasing of 'choose your own adventure'. ChooseCo, the company that owns the rights to the series, politely asks people to not use the name as a generic term - example. Some other possibilities are 'select your own journey' and the thematically appropriate 'euuurgh your own auuhuhuhurgh'.

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Are the $200 pledges KS only or can we PayPal them later. This ends right between ps4 launch and black friday so V:shobon:V

I did it by Paypal. Email him at DropsyTheClown@gmail.com to arrange it. I don't know if he'll accept it after the Kickstarter ends but it can't hurt to ask.

BiggerJ fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Nov 22, 2013

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Yup, drop me a line at dropsytheclown@gmail.com and we can talk about it! :)

BiggerJ posted:

Gaspy, you might want to change the phrasing of 'choose your own adventure'. ChooseCo, the company that owns the rights to the series, politely asks people to not use the name as a generic term - example. Some other possibilities are 'select your own journey' and the thematically appropriate 'euuurgh your own auuhuhuhurgh'.

I did it by Paypal. Email him at DropsyTheClown@gmail.com to arrange it. I don't know if he'll accept it after the Kickstarter ends but it can't hurt to ask.

Dang, I had no idea. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

blinkeve1826
Jul 26, 2005

WELCOME TO THE NEW DEATH
Just chiming in to say I'm psyched to, most likely at this point, be working on this. I've done a lot of weird things in my time as a voice actress but I can't even begin to imagine what voicing Dropsy's non-verbal communication system will be like. Thanks to everyone who's helped with backing and support and spreading the word so far! :3:

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I'm glad you're on. Recording the voice stuff is going to be a blast.

Quick question: Any idea for gimmicky fun things we hand out at the show on Sunday? Like, something I could print quickly at an office depot, or some kind of little novelty thing to give away?

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I won't be able to make it out to Lakeland on Sunday night, unfortunately. Hope you'll have another night of festivities coming up (maybe a launch party?

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Ballz posted:

I won't be able to make it out to Lakeland on Sunday night, unfortunately. Hope you'll have another night of festivities coming up (maybe a launch party?

No big. :0) I'm sure we'll probably have something going on then! That venue is my usual place to play out, so it'll probably be in Lakeland again.

PS - Only 24 hours left! http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jaytholen/dropsy/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

legendaryRev
May 1, 2008

Soiled Meat
Just saw that you had restarted the Kicktarter in the nick of time, pitched in :10bux: . Glad to see that this finally got funded, Dropsy was the reason I finally bought an account on SA. Good luck, fellow Central Florida goonsir, looking forward to updates!

• Locked thread