Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
:eng101: Generally, with French, words that end with C and K have that letter pronounced! So Estoc would be pronounced just as read in English as it would be in French (though French obviously has a few differently pronounced sounds).

If that's still too hard, you can just call it the English word for the weapon, the Tuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
I'm sure the game will answer this at some point, but why does Rita always refer to Blastia like they're people? And why always "he" or "him"? Has she ever referred to a Blastia as "she" before?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Her crippling autism creates a need to create people out of objects whose properties and behavior she can control and predict. They are her Wilson.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Lance Streetman posted:

I'm sure the game will answer this at some point, but why does Rita always refer to Blastia like they're people? And why always "he" or "him"? Has she ever referred to a Blastia as "she" before?

muike posted:

Her crippling autism creates a need to create people out of objects whose properties and behavior she can control and predict. They are her Wilson.

Alternatively, Blastia are just like code in The Matrix, if you study them long enough you just see people or animals. :tinfoil:

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
Blastia Green is people! Blastia Green is people!

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Schubalts posted:

Ioder is totally going to end up being evil. He was on the monster-feeding governor's boat, he's one of two people next in line for the freaking Imperial Throne but let the governor walk away without saying anything (if the Council would value social rank high enough to instantly believe the governor's insane excuse, then the word of an Imperial heir would be like a signed confession), and now this letter.

I gotta agree. At this point I wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be the final boss.

Lance Streetman posted:

It's like how when female guitarists refers to their guitars as "him" where male guitarists tend to refer to their instruments as "her."

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm a dude with dude guitars. Mordecai, Tim the Toolman Taylor, and other friends.

Derpes
Oct 5, 2010

ApeHawk posted:

Blastia Green is people! Blastia Green is people!

They already did that with Exspheres in Symphonia :v:

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:

muike posted:

I'm a dude with dude guitars. Mordecai, Tim the Toolman Taylor, and other friends.

I think that just means you watched too much Tool Time.

But still, don't be too hard on Rita. The blastia are her only friends. Besides that, what has she got?

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
I like how the party is composed of a guy who wastes all TP, a mage who runs up front and only uses tier-1 starting spells, a dog that does nothing nothing but steal and a kid who does absolutely nothing at all.
Sure most of the CPU characters do things but this... is Arte :allears:

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Zenostein posted:

I think that just means you watched too much Tool Time.

But still, don't be too hard on Rita. The blastia are her only friends. Besides that, what has she got?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iSjMlbPBtw&t=16m34s

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Was that a Baman and Piderman reference I heard :allears:

Traxus IV
Sep 11, 2001

it's our time now
let's get this shit started

Danaru posted:

Was that a Baman and Piderman reference I heard :allears:

It was! :swoon:

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
:frogsiren: UPDATE :frogsiren:

Ep 27: Flying to the Danger Zone Youtube

The audios a bit weird on this one but I wanted to get it out since it's been like a week without an update. The next ep should have it fixed.

Big thanks to Adus for filling in on short notice. Geop was apparently too "busy" with "real life obligations" to "record anime games for the internet"

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

sry bro ill make up for it w/gifs

Also Adus is a charming fellow and surely filled in for the pun quota in my absence.

RIGHT? :catstare:

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Geop I don't think anyone in the world could fill the pun quota you've established.

Also my apologies since any audio issues are likely related to me. It's been like 2 years since I've recorded anything in Audacity so who knows what settings I had going, plus I'm in dire need of a new mic.

Thanks for having me along, though! Always willing to fill in if needed.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
The PS3 version changed Barbos' fly-away animation. It's even sillier:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Du93OBsM78&t=361s

The whole scene has completely redone camera work, and I'm not really sure why.

Regarding Judith and Judy, Japanese Yuri just drops the last kana ( ジュディス → ジュディ ). I don't know if there's an actual reason besides the stated "it's easier to say". And yeah, all the names are pretty much the same.

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Wow... Yuri! Hitting a woman just because she's prettier than you! Tsk tsk tsk. Sure he's excuse was to get the guards in so they could escape, but we all know it was really from sheer jealously.

I like how shortly after Judith says "See? Look at my beautiful skin. Free of bruises or blemishes!" Y'know, expect for the black eye or broken nose Yuri gave her.

But seriously that was probably the funniest thing that happened in this game so far.

Rogou's hand animation is so bizarre. His thumbs and pinkies move all weird while his other fingers barely move. Trying doing that yourself. That man must be dexterous.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

I've made a huge mistake not playing the PS3 version

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!

Chainsaw Broomstick, the little known Harry Potter themed sequel to Lollipop Chainsaw.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
Incredible. Needs Flight of the Valkyries playing in the background.

Geop
Oct 26, 2007

Shakeyfist

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
If it makes you feel better, Kuvo, you get the armor back later as a title and can have her wear it full-time.

Derpes
Oct 5, 2010

alcharagia posted:

If it makes you feel better, Kuvo, you get the armor back later as a title and can have her wear it full-time.

But what about Yuri's eye-candy? :v: (also her Into the Sky outfit is so much better)

That aside, Judith is a pretty great character. While she can't become literally invincible like Estelle, she's pretty much untouchable if played well. Definitely one of the most fun characters to play as in the entire Tales series.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Derpes posted:

But what about Yuri's eye-candy? :v: (also her Into the Sky outfit is so much better)

That aside, Judith is a pretty great character. While she can't become literally invincible like Estelle, she's pretty much untouchable if played well. Definitely one of the most fun characters to play as in the entire Tales series.

It is, I was just letting him know he could.

Judy was the last of my party mainstays. I basically played the game as Raven's Angels because of that one skill he gets that makes him absurd if you have Estelle, Rita, and Judy in with him, and she was sure as hell a lot more competent than I'd ever be as her.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.

Derpes posted:

She's pretty fun to play indeed. But she's definitely not the easiest one to do well with and especially not without her later abilities.

Steak Flavored Gum
Apr 26, 2007

ABANDONED HOMEWORLD FOR SALE, CHEAP!!!
Custom desert-marsh conversion in galactic core, 12% oxygen atm., great weather, friendly native life (missing one moon). Great fix-er-upper. Must sell, alien invasion imminent. $3995 or best offer.
I love the guy in the back's face right after that bit of pugilism.

:wtc:

ShadowFox1001
Sep 21, 2013
I'm not the biggest fan of controlling Judith, mainly because she's not combo friendly, but I do like using her from time to time, especially if someone else is controlling Yuri. Essentially, she's Yuri for aerial combat. She's a juggler, much like Regal from Symphonia could be, so as an AI, she can easily ruin combos or make them more difficult to maintain. But she's a pretty decent party member to have, especially when she gets more skills.

Camel Pimp
May 17, 2008

This poster survived LPing Lunar: Dragon Song. Let's give her a hand.
I found Judith fun to play, but pretty hard to get the hang of. Frankly, I've never liked aerial combat in Tales games, and I think Graces made the right move in largely stripping it out.

KingEffingFrost
Jul 9, 2011

Extreme corset action!
I can't play Judith for poo poo, but even under AI control she's pretty deadly.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck
I pretty much stuck with Yuri the whole game because I fear change.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
I'm garbage with characters like Regal and Judith, and Yuri was similar to Zelos or Guy from Abyss so I stuck with him because I prefer the slower swordsman archetype in these games. I tended to go Yuri/Estelle/Raven/Judith because two attackers, a healer, and a red mage is generally how I approach most 4-character JRPGs. Felt bad not using Rita more but Judith is pretty excellent.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I guess next session I should try out some of the other characters.

Minifoo's alway going to Rita though. The AI is too stupid for her to to be left its hands.

Non-EuclideanCat
Nov 9, 2009
The trick to making Judith work in the party is going under Strategy and setting her to target different enemies than you (or, if you decide to play as her like I do, set everyone else to target different enemies than you). Especially in the late game when you've got an 8-hit air combo plus two artes, she'll basically keep whatever monster she's on out of reach for everyone else, so you need to set them to go elsewhere. She's great to play as, though, and can just ruin certain bosses pretty much by herself by keeping them airborne.

Adus
Nov 4, 2009

heck

Kuvo posted:

Minifoo's alway going to Rita though. The AI is too stupid for her to to be left its hands.

Rita's AI isn't really any worse than the others. Though to be honest I pretty much turned off all her artes except fireball. You also have to set the AI to 'full assault' or whatever it's called, otherwise they stop using TP at a certain percentage.

Derpes
Oct 5, 2010

Kuvo posted:

For some bosses you definitely want to control Rita if you want the secret missions, but other than those Rita's AI is completely fine. Just turn off her weaker skills when she gets upgrades or do like Adus says and just have her spam fireballs until she shoots them like a gatling gun (spells get stronger the more you use them). I'd say letting characters like Yuri/Karol/Judith/Repede up to the AI is worse since they don't have blocking down very well and will get murdered by some bosses since they have to be close to do damage while Raven/Rita/Estelle can stay back and toss spells their way. The AI takes a little break between actions as well and that's not good with melee since they leave themselves open to counters but works okay with ranged since they can keep your combo going.

(Player controlled) Rita can also be good for getting ridiculously high combos which nets you tons of Grade, but since you're not going for a NG+ that doesn't matter. Also you get 0 Grade on Easy apparently so it's even more useless for you :v:

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
"Dammit, we need to quickly silence this guy so he doesn't deliver his message. I know, let's use highly conspicuous explosive weaponry!"

These are not the smartest villains, are they?

ed: Also why does Rita always spin around a million times before casting her spells? Is she training to become a ballet dancer or something?

D_W
Nov 12, 2013

Lance Streetman posted:

ed: Also why does Rita always spin around a million times before casting her spells? Is she training to become a ballet dancer or something?

Well clearly she uses centripetal force to draw aer inward to focus the power... naw it's just anime nonsense. If I could throw fireballs I'd spin around a bunch too from childhood delight. We all know Rita is all about childhood delight.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Oh hey, here we go. When I played I got Judith and then did I think one or two dungeons with her I remember a ghost ship? and then I sold my 360 and never got around to finishing it.

/edit: Ahahaha, Yuri and Judith are just taking huge dumps on anime tropes; she doesn't suddenly become a blushing maiden and he's all "yup, checking you out over here."

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Nov 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1Zorkmid
Nov 18, 2013
Yo, if you want to regain more TP with physical attacks, there is something you can do about that right now. Yuri's first down+B attack hits twice, so it nets you 2 TP instead of 1. The second down+B attack knocks enemies down so just alternate Down+B, neutral+B, Down+B. 3 attacks, +5 TP. You can also chain a Free Run Attack between B attacks and Artes in your combos for one more hit and +1 TP.

Am I the 10th person to mention this yet?

• Locked thread