Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Yeah, even in the first episode we find out that entire worlds disappeared when the Time War was locked away. It wasn't just taking a Death Star to Gallifrey and Skaro. The Doctor took a box knife to reality and carved out the parts that needed to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Gau posted:

Yeah, even in the first episode we find out that entire worlds disappeared when the Time War was locked away. It wasn't just taking a Death Star to Gallifrey and Skaro. The Doctor took a box knife to reality and carved out the parts that needed to go.

Especially since Skaro got blown up way the hell back before the Time War escalated.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Captain Fargle posted:

Especially since Skaro got blown up way the hell back before the Time War escalated.

It got better. :colbert:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Have we even gotten a slight clue as to how the Doctor ended the War?

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Rhyno posted:

He used something called 'The Moment.' I don't think we were given any details beyond that. Presumably The Moment is your standard super powerful MacGuffin.

toochilled
Apr 3, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Only that it was through "The Moment".
It looks like it will be explained in the special. Although I must say that worries me a bit.
Sometimes no explanation is better than a bad one, like the classic example of when the Master next comes back it should just be:
Doctor: Ah, so you are back
Master: Yes

I used to think it was just that the Doctor went way back in time and locked Rassillon and Davros in a box and threw away the key, so they couldn't create the Time Lord and Dalek societies, but once I think that through in depth it doesn't work. (But then what does in the timey wimey world of Doctor Who continuity?)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I hope the nightmare child always remains off screen.

Because it's great that davros didn't fall into a time warp or a star or a blackhole, no, he fell into something that we don't know gently caress about. Same with all the other whimsical crazy poo poo in the time war mentioned in that one sentence in end of time (the could've been king and his army of meanwhiles and neverweres, skaro degredations, the nightmare child). In my mind the time war will always be a crazy blacklight poster

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I suspect this will be overruled by DotD, but comics sources indicate that the process was:

Step 1. Create a device out of a demat gun and the Great Key of Rassilon
Step 2. ???
Step 3. Profit.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.

PantsOptional posted:

I suspect this will be overruled by DotD, but comics sources indicate that the process was:

Step 2. ???
Step 3. Destruction on a galactic scale

There we go.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

PantsOptional posted:

Step 2. ???
Step 3. Profit.

Wasn't that pretty much the plot of The Invasion of Time?

Hughesmar
Dec 22, 2004
I like cheese. Cheese is good. I eat cheese like a good boy should.
Has anything been revealed about how the 50th relates to the cliffhanger from this past season? Everything I've seen so far makes it seem like this is a standalone episode that's taking place outside of The Doctor's timestream.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Tom Baker claims he's in the 50th:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/aaron-sagers/exclusive-tom-baker-to-ap_b_4295773.html

Of course it's Tom though, so he could just be loving with us.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
... my heart can't take this

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hughesmar posted:

Has anything been revealed about how the 50th relates to the cliffhanger from this past season? Everything I've seen so far makes it seem like this is a standalone episode that's taking place outside of The Doctor's timestream.

11 meets up with 10 (or maybe the other way around) and for some reason they have to go back to the Time War to see War Doctor.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

His voice is in it. Or his likeness is in it.

toochilled
Apr 3, 2003
"It worked out very well, I think, judging by the reactions of the technicians,"

It's the use of the word technicians that intrigues me.
Maybe a Deep Space Nine style mixture of old Tom and new doctors in the same scene(s)?

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Harlock posted:

His voice is in it. Or his likeness is in it.

!!!Leaked Tom Baker shot from 50th anniversary episode!!!

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

They're pulling a TRON 2 and de-aging him, and using a body double.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Teek posted:

Tom Baker claims he's in the 50th:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/aaron-sagers/exclusive-tom-baker-to-ap_b_4295773.html

Of course it's Tom though, so he could just be loving with us.

quote:

"I am in the special," said Baker. "I'm not supposed to tell you that, but I tell you that very willingly and specifically; the BBC told me not to tell anybody but I'm telling you straightaway."
:allears:

I'm putting money down that it's the "hall of statues/paintings" rumor which has been going on for months now. It was largely dismissed til we saw the shot of them going into a hall of covered statues in the trailer.

So once again Tom will be played by a waxwork dummy! :haw:

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Astroman posted:

So once again Tom will be played by a waxwork dummy! :haw:

That would be amazing.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Nah, they're recycling the Shada footage again. The technicians he mentions are the video technicians that cropped the footage for widescreen and did the HD conversion.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Introducing Tom Baker as The Master. :allears:

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Moff just did a mini episode featuring McGann regenerating.

Tom Baker will at least have some voice work. At Least.

It's like open season for fan excitement.

Hey Fingercuffs
Nov 29, 2007

Yo baby, you ever had your asshole licked by a fat man in an overcoat?
So this Collection of videos leading up to the 50th popped up my Facebook feed today. I didn't see it posted anywhere and figured this was the better thread for it. The video from the BBC Breakfast News has interviews with all Doctors participating in the 50th. What I find most interesting in the Tennant interview is it feels like he is taking a stab at Eccelston by saying it would be childish to turn down coming back for the 50th anniversary. Least thats what it felt like to me but I could be taking a stab in the dark with it.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Whizbang posted:

Introducing Tom Baker as The Master. :allears:

There was a QVC Doctor Who special in 2003-ish in which Tom Baker expressed interest in playing The Master...

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Ben Soosneb posted:

Moff just did a mini episode featuring McGann regenerating.

Tom Baker will at least have some voice work. At Least.

It's like open season for fan excitement.

The rumor that a number of the classic Doctors had done voices for the 50th has been around for a while now, so this is my guess as well.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

The rumor that a number of the classic Doctors had done voices for the 50th has been around for a while now, so this is my guess as well.

I might be weird, but all I want is some of the action to take place at early 80's Heathrow, explaing why the Doctor couldn't get Teegan home.

Well it's not really what I want at all, but it's fun to come up with weird ideas.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Ben Soosneb posted:

I might be weird, but all I want is some of the action to take place at early 80's Heathrow, explaing why the Doctor couldn't get Teegan home.

Well it's not really what I want at all, but it's fun to come up with weird ideas.

What about that time they went to Heathrow in Time-Flight?

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009

thexerox123 posted:

What about that time they went to Heathrow in Time-Flight?

Errr.. that was an alternate heathrow in china. That's why the master got his idea.

gently caress.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Box of Bunnies posted:

Nah, they're recycling the Shada footage again. The technicians he mentions are the video technicians that cropped the footage for widescreen and did the HD conversion.

Shada has had more incarnations than The Doctor at this point...

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Lets be honest. There are exactly two ways that the 50th will go.

A: Hurt get's redemption. Ten and Eleven accepting he had to do whatever timewr poo poo he did.

B: Hurt doesn't get redemption. Ten and Eleven try and fight what he does, but he still does what's 'necessary'. Fun.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

quote:

"I was Doctor Who before I got it and I remained Doctor Who since I did it," said Tom Baker. "There wasn't much difference except apart from the miraculous aspect of being able to disappear and reappear, apart from the mechanical dog and beautiful assistants and Daleks -- it was very much like my life."
Looking forward to the cinema losing its poo poo if/when he appears onscreen.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Ben Soosneb posted:

Errr.. that was an alternate heathrow in china.

Ah, terminal 4. It's so far away from the other terminals, it feels like it's in loving China. :mad:

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Ben Soosneb posted:

Lets be honest. There are exactly two ways that the 50th will go.

A: Hurt get's redemption. Ten and Eleven accepting he had to do whatever timewr poo poo he did.

B: Hurt doesn't get redemption. Ten and Eleven try and fight what he does, but he still does what's 'necessary'. Fun.

Hurt regenerates into Capaldi, 9, 10, and 11 are simply erased from existence.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

DirtyRobot posted:

But I liked 9 and 11 :(

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

DirtyRobot posted:

Tumblr's servers simultaneously melt.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

DirtyRobot posted:

That's actually an interesting hypothesis. If Capaldi doctor is a new 'cycle' of regeneration, then Hurt doc can regenerate into Capaldi and Matt Smith is the end of that 'cycle' while simultaneously being the same person.

Squidtits
Mar 30, 2004
Spank me, you know you wanna
The 50th has the return of the Zygons who first appeared in Tom Bakers run so maybe it will be a Zygon disguised as Tom.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Well, turns out The Last Day was released on iTunes in the UK, not seen it yet elsewhere. Apparently it's just a non-Doctor involved short about Arcadia. Guess that lessens the chance for Eccelston.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

Teek posted:

Well, turns out The Last Day was released on iTunes in the UK, not seen it yet elsewhere. Apparently it's just a non-Doctor involved short about Arcadia. Guess that lessens the chance for Eccelston.

Here it is on Vimeo before someone takes it down. It's not terrible quality but not a direct rip.

• Locked thread