Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Red posted:

So I've upgraded to Snow Leopard (finally), and now that I'm ready to go Mavericks, I want to make sure I should.

I meet the minimum requirements, but here's my computer profile:

Model: MacBook5,1
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.4 GHz
Memory: 2 GB

It's really going to chafe with that amount of memory, but as always it'll depend on what you intend to do with the machine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Red posted:

So I've upgraded to Snow Leopard (finally), and now that I'm ready to go Mavericks, I want to make sure I should.

I'd strongly suggest bumping the RAM up to 4GB (supposedly that machine will do 8, but 4 will suffice). Should be fine otherwise.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

BobHoward posted:

You should now be able to point TM at a file server running an unsupported protocol like SMB. Fair warning, I've seen plenty of reports that this truly does not work too well in practice.

How does OS X Server work as a Time Machine destination? Does it use AFP or SMB or NFS or what?

Mikey-San
Nov 3, 2005

I'm Edith Head!

BobHoward posted:

If you want to live dangerously, close Preferences and run this in Terminal:

code:
defaults write com.apple.systempreferences TMShowUnsupportedNetworkVolumes 1
You should now be able to point TM at a file server running an unsupported protocol like SMB. Fair warning, I've seen plenty of reports that this truly does not work too well in practice.

This default does nothing as of two or three releases ago.

quote:

What happened to NFS shares being usable as TM locations in 10.6?

This was never actually a supported configuration, despite what you may have read on the Internet.

quote:

How does OS X Server work as a Time Machine destination? Does it use AFP or SMB or NFS or what?

All network Time Machine destinations use AFP.

Mikey-San fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Nov 19, 2013

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Red posted:

I'd go to at least 4GB of RAM, but you'll be fine.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

Mikey-San posted:

This was never actually a supported configuration, despite what you may have read on the Internet.
Performing a tracheotomy with a ball point pen isn't a "supported configuration" either. I didn't read on the internet that it was supported. I just did it. I knew from empirical evidence once I did it. "Despite what you may" have assumed. :v:

I'll probably do this on my CentOS server and see how it plays out. Anyone here try that?

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Red posted:

As others have said, more RAM. Officially Apple said it could only take 4GB max, but some people have been able to get 8GB to work in that model.

Also worth getting a SSD if you can afford it, it will extend the life of that MacBook Pro hugely.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
More ram before an SSD.

All Macs past 10.6 now need 4GB of ram to not pinwheel for a long time after a bit of use.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

Djimi posted:

I'll probably do this on my CentOS server and see how it plays out. Anyone here try that?

I have my Ubuntu box set up for that, and it works like a charm.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Djimi posted:

I'd be surprised if it was just about getting a 'new' protocol finalized that other devices could use, to be a viable solution. "Think Different" has pretty much become, "Do As We Say".

My eyes are rolling so hard. Network file systems are way more complex and fragile than most realize. (Note that it has taken Apple three major OS releases to get their brand new SMB2 implementation up to speed, and I suspect the reason for shifting away from AFP has a lot to do with not wanting to maintain multiple high perf networked FSes.) And Time Machine hammers the living poo poo out of them.

Ever notice that TM needs a HFS FS to accurately back up HFS file systems, and when you use it to back up over the network it stores this HFS FS in a sparse bundle disk image? Every time they make changes to this containerized file system, they must ensure the modifications to blocks in the sparse bundle band files are written out to physical media in proper journal order, as otherwise there would be a high probability of corrupting the FS when the server connection breaks for a moment. This is not easy, or even possible, in most network file systems. And they do a lot of these modifications, every hour, on the hour, thanks to versioning and so on. You think this is trivial and that their design which channels you down the path of using their co-designed network FS is arbitrary and controlling, I think about the edge cases and frankly it's total :psyduck: :gonk: territory.

I understand your bitterness that something got taken away which seemed to work fine, but sometimes the truth is that making systems like this reasonably robust for nontechnical users requires narrowing the support matrix to no more than what you control and working your rear end off on finding and fixing as many bugs as possible. For better or worse that's pretty much how Apple defines itself.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

CygnusTM posted:

I have my Ubuntu box set up for that, and it works like a charm.
Great to hear.

BobHoward posted:

[...Good on-point stuff]...You think this is trivial and that their design which channels you down the path of using their co-designed network FS is arbitrary and controlling, I think about the edge cases and frankly it's total :psyduck: :gonk: territory.
I suppose - but since it's *not* trivial to perform that kind of TM setup to begin with, why does Apple remove the ability or even care? They can just not support it in writing and ignore the use. It's my problem if I put it in a production environment and something fails (which I wouldn't).

Apple's problem is that they seemingly must ratchet up the nanny state at every turn. I think their philosophy will fail them eventually. I know they're laughing at me and counting all that money on the way to the bank.

But for example (slight derail) -- why the need to hide the iOS file system? Sell a great app for $29 from Apple itself called ÜberSys that unlocks (a controlled jailbreak) an iOS device. Make money on it! Let the nerds (and power-users) have their fun and allow the tool they're selling to be as useful as possible, if they want them and they go out of their way to get it. Maybe it shortens the warranty to 30 days after they install it. Maybe you can't get genius help in a store if it's been activated. Whatever - the marketing geniuses will figure it out. "So you think you're a Genius? The ÜberControl app awaits your download....at the Apple App Store." But I digress[ed].

If it's not supported, but hacks can work - why actively stop it? I started in software QA for Macs, long ago for a software company. You test the requirements, not unsupported cases. Again, why do they care? Put it in a EULA - limited or no support, sorry. I'd rather that they acknowledge valid uses for customers who spend good money on the tools they buy, instead of just locking it down outright.

BobHoward posted:

...that making systems like this reasonably robust for nontechnical users requires narrowing the support matrix to no more than what you control and working your rear end off on finding and fixing as many bugs as possible. For better or worse that's pretty much how Apple defines itself.
They could define themselves as they once did. They could polish their OSes (not rapidly release them). Then maybe they'd be able to produce a consistent and uniform UI which used to be a hallmark at 1 Infinite Loop. Overall, I'm glad to have gone to 10.9 on my latest MBP because of its improvements with energy / memory usage. I appreciate that. I don't appreciate prescriptive erosion and walling-off of useful software / protocols. Cf: I just found this while looking up something about OS X's UI. Nihil novi sub sole.

Djimi fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 20, 2013

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Djimi posted:

Great to hear.

FreeNAS here, which uses Netatalk 2 I believe. We've had three macs backing up over wireless here for over a year without issue. Even restored one and it took forever but worked awesome.

Djimi
Jan 23, 2004

I like digital data

8ender posted:

FreeNAS here, which uses Netatalk 2 I believe. We've had three macs backing up over wireless here for over a year without issue. Even restored one and it took forever but worked awesome.
What OS? 10.6 ... 10.9? Does it matter?

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
Anyone else having trouble with ical alarms after updating to mavericks?

They worked fine before, but it doesn't pop up the notification or the sound or anything in fact! :(

Anyone found a workaround?

A quick google search reveals I am not alone.
https://discussions.apple.com/message/23817461#23817461

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Djimi posted:

What OS? 10.6 ... 10.9? Does it matter?

10.7 up to 10.9 without issue.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Probably a stupid noob question, but how come when I set the activity monitor icon to show CPU history, I get four graphs when I'm actually on a dual core CPU?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

My PIN is 4826 posted:

Probably a stupid noob question, but how come when I set the activity monitor icon to show CPU history, I get four graphs when I'm actually on a dual core CPU?

Hyper threading makes two cores per physical core.

My PIN is 4826
Aug 30, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Hyper threading makes two cores per physical core.

hm, appropriate avatar/title you have there :)

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I tried netatalk with a Centos/Ubuntu VM earlier this year and it was a huge pain in the rear end, and was not very reliable. It would work for a few weeks and then give the dreaded 'could not be verified' error and you would have to start over.

I switched my SAN/NAS platform from Nexenta Community to FreeNAS, and its TimeMachine implementation has been rock solid for 2 machines for around 7 months now.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Djimi posted:

But for example (slight derail) -- why the need to hide the iOS file system?
Why the need to look at it?

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Whats a reliable zip archiver? Seems like whenever someone sends me something zipped from OS X its corrupt. Granted these are typically huge archives (10G+) but I've never had persistent issues like this with 7z and p7z.

snakeater
May 17, 2008

A paranoiac in reverse.

Shaocaholica posted:

Whats a reliable zip archiver? Seems like whenever someone sends me something zipped from OS X its corrupt. Granted these are typically huge archives (10G+) but I've never had persistent issues like this with 7z and p7z.

You could always try the p7z mac port. Doesn't look too well supported though.

What about other command line utilities such as as zip/unzip/unrar etc.?

snakeater fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Nov 20, 2013

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

snakeater posted:

You could always try the p7z mac port. Doesn't look too well supported though.

What about other command line utilities such as as zip/unzip/unrar etc.?

Gui might be better. I need to tell clients to use it so I'm not inclined to tell them to use a CLI tool.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Shaocaholica posted:

I use Keka from the App Store for 7z. It's a couple of bucks, but is really easy to use and updated.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

mayodreams posted:

I use Keka from the App Store for 7z. It's a couple of bucks, but is really easy to use and updated.

It's also free too. But you can toss $2 at the developers as well.

http://www.kekaosx.com/en/

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

I've used The Unarchiver for a while. It's handed a few zip files that the native OSX zip handler couldn't unpack for some reason.

It's also free.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

THC posted:

Why the need to look at it?

So you can share a file between multiple apps without having to make copies of it all over the goddamn place?

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid

mayodreams posted:

Keka is free if you download it from the website and you can set the app to automatically check for updates\install. I use this because every archive I throw at it seems to work.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
I've actually run into some RARs that Keka won't properly unarchive, so for that I still use The Unarchiver. Keka works pretty well for creating archives though.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Choadmaster posted:

So you can share a file between multiple apps without having to make copies of it all over the goddamn place?

What the hell are you doing with your telephone

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

THC posted:

What the hell are you doing with your telephone

...or ipad.

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

eddiewalker posted:

...or ipad.

I use it for school, and some apps are better for reading, some are better for annotating. It would be nice to be able to use the same file between apps, rather than copying back and forth or using a service like dropbox and syncing through that constantly.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Is there a good alternative to VLC? Bitch-rear end app keeps screensaver from coming on.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

colas posted:

Is there a good alternative to VLC? Bitch-rear end app keeps screensaver from coming on.

MPlayerX seems nice.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

FCKGW posted:

MPlayerX seems nice.

thanks. your name reminded me of something. I thought it was a Doom 2 cheat at first...I've installed Windows way too many times.

edit: mplayer x won't allow screensaver... the gently caress.

colas fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 21, 2013

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Are you trying to play some obscure audio format player? Because having a media/video player enable the screensaver is the exact opposite of what you would want it to do.

Also you're probably thinking of IDKFA

colas
Feb 14, 2007

FCKGW posted:

Are you trying to play some obscure audio format player? Because having a media/video player enable the screensaver is the exact opposite of what you would want it to do.

Also you're probably thinking of IDKFA

I just want it to blank after I've fallen asleep. I wonder if the power-save turn off screen works...

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
I'm pretty sure there's a toggle for the screensaver in the "video" section of VLC's settings.

Bogan King
Jan 21, 2013

I'm not racist, I'm mates with Bangladesh, the guy who sells me kebabs. No, I don't know his real name.

eddiewalker posted:

I'm pretty sure there's a toggle for the screensaver in the "video" section of VLC's settings.

I can confirm this, you need to enable 'show all' in preferences and there is a disable screensaver option under the main video section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Show all... ok got it.