Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Didn't work, ss won't come on with QT either. I'm just going to not watch videos before bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

colas posted:

Didn't work, ss won't come on with QT either. I'm just going to not watch videos before bed.

Mplayerx has an option "Quit when window closed" that seems to work. Brief test included playing a single video file and when it reached the end the app shut down. VLC has this option also for playlists but it hasn't worked in OS X for some time.

Edit - Just verified it works when the video is full screen.

Legdiian fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Nov 21, 2013

colas
Feb 14, 2007

nice, I'll try that.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

So I'm traveling for the first time with my new rMBP and I'm wondering if Excel is supposed to be pretty slow. It lags noticeably doing simple things like inserting columns and doing a cmd-c of a section of cells results in a ~2 second pin wheel. All of these things are near instant on all of my Windows devices, even far less powerful laptops.

Is this just Microsoft being lovely? It's Office 2011 (which is the latest version, right?) but it's almost unusable for me. I'm assuming Numbers is pretty efficient but I'm not sure how well it will handle large and complex spreadsheets.

Any ideas?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The Office suite is completely terrible on a Mac. It's not quite as bad as the 4 year wait between Intel Macs coming out and a version of Office that wasn't Power PC being released, but it's still pretty awful.

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
It's better than, say, OpenOffice, when it comes to Office document support, but yeah, definitely not great. Running the WIndows version using Parallels or VMWare Fusion is a much better choice if you have the option.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Caged posted:

The Office suite is completely terrible on a Mac. It's not quite as bad as the 4 year wait between Intel Macs coming out and a version of Office that wasn't Power PC being released, but it's still pretty awful.

drat. :( I think I'm going to have to return this. 90% of what I do on a laptop is Excel/Office based as it's basically what I do for a living, and I'm going to be relying on my laptop for 3 weeks since I'll be out of the country. I thought I would be so productive on this thing too because the interface and multi-tasking is so much better than Win8.

ccrazy88
Feb 8, 2009

GokieKS posted:

It's better than, say, OpenOffice, when it comes to Office document support, but yeah, definitely not great. Running the WIndows version using Parallels or VMWare Fusion is a much better choice if you have the option.
Another vote for Office in a VM. Excel is pretty much the only reason I have VMware Fusion installed nowadays.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

GokieKS posted:

Oh, I should give this a try first. Does doing this affect battery life significantly?

Edit: Also is there any software for Win8 that would replicate the functionality of different "spaces" or whatever they are called and three-finger swiping?

Butt Soup Barnes fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 22, 2013

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Oh, I should give this a try first. Does doing this affect battery life significantly?

Edit: Also is there any software for Win8 that would replicate the functionality of different "spaces" or whatever they are called and three-finger swiping?

I used Dexpot on Win7/8 on my old work laptop. I had to hack some stuff in the registry to get it to mimic my favorite keyboard shortcuts on the Mac, but it worked well.

http://dexpot.de/?lang=en

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Don't even need it. You can have the VM run Office like it was just another window in OSX if you want.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

FCKGW posted:

Don't even need it. You can have the VM run Office like it was just another window in OSX if you want.

Oh that sounds perfect - and Windows in a vm deals with Mac's filesystem fine, right?

What's the best VM software?

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
I use Outlook/Excel with Office 2011 a lot and I've never had any problems? Definitely no beachballing. It's not any worse than the Windows versions, and I switch between both on a regular basis.

Butt Soup Barnes, which rMBP did you buy?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Yes, the VM can share files between the virtual files system and host OS.

Either Parallels or VMWare Fusion is fine. They both perform about the same. VMware is a more established company but Parallels has been on OSX longer.

http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/
http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/

They both have free trials I believe.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

NOTinuyasha posted:

I use Outlook/Excel with Office 2011 a lot and I've never had any problems? Definitely no beachballing. It's not any worse than the Windows versions, and I switch between both on a regular basis.

Butt Soup Barnes, which rMBP did you buy?

The 13" mid - so 2.4?ghz i5, 8GB, 256GB.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Oh that sounds perfect - and Windows in a vm deals with Mac's filesystem fine, right?

What's the best VM software?
Yeah you can set up a Mac folder (or a bunch) to show up as shared folders in Windows. There's some automagic tricks related to sharing between OS X and the VM too but I haven't messed with that stuff (mostly just cause I just want to limit Windows to what it needs to access outside of the VM).

As far as the VM software itself, I think the free one is called VirtualBox, while the major commercial ones are VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop. I use VMware myself. Early versions of Parallels were really rough while VMware was more polished and stable, but they seem a lot more comparable these days.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

The 13" mid - so 2.4?ghz i5, 8GB, 256GB.

Well there goes my theory that you bought the useless 4GB model. Yeah I have no idea. Office for Mac used to be really lovely but 2011 was a huge improvement. I disagree with the other posters, I use Parallels on a daily basis for work and the only way using a VM can be an improvement is if the Mac port gives you cancer.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

NOTinuyasha posted:

Well there goes my theory that you bought the useless 4GB model. Yeah I have no idea. Office for Mac used to be really lovely but 2011 was a huge improvement. I disagree with the other posters, I use Parallels on a daily basis for work and the only way using a VM can be an improvement is if the Mac port gives you cancer.

I posted when I first got it that I had some general UI sluggishness and was wondering if maybe my Mac was defective or something. Is it easy/possible to reformat to see if that helps?

Edit: I'm downloading the Parallels trial now and if it doesn't hammer the battery too much I think I'll be fine, but it would be nice if I could just use the native Office apps.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

So I'm traveling for the first time with my new rMBP and I'm wondering if Excel is supposed to be pretty slow. It lags noticeably doing simple things like inserting columns and doing a cmd-c of a section of cells results in a ~2 second pin wheel. All of these things are near instant on all of my Windows devices, even far less powerful laptops.

Is this just Microsoft being lovely? It's Office 2011 (which is the latest version, right?) but it's almost unusable for me. I'm assuming Numbers is pretty efficient but I'm not sure how well it will handle large and complex spreadsheets.

It's pure poo poo. It chokes on anything that isn't simple and crashes when importing CSV's and has so many problems I just went with OpenOffice. But I'd take a Pentium 4 running Windows XP and Office 2003 over either of them.

Butt Soup Barnes
Nov 25, 2008

Thanks guys, Parallels works awesome and the battery life doesn't seem to be too bad. It integrates really well - the only thing is I can't seem to get the default app selection to stick. I can open an .xlsx file in Excel in Win8 but even when I check the box to always do this it doesn't stick. Anybody come across this before?

Edit: Seems to be working now. This is way better than I thought it would be and I can use Office 2013 so thanks.

Butt Soup Barnes fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Nov 22, 2013

korora
Sep 3, 2011

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Any ideas?

I've seen this before. Excel is really picky about the state of your installed fonts. Try these instructions: https://discussions.apple.com/message/21833302#21833302.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I recently bought an Android tablet and am trying to get everything between my Macbook, iPhone & tablet to sync up as much as possible. I'm struggling with calendars. I can see all of the google calendars in iCal but all of the guides I've found to get the iCal calendars pushed to google's Calendar seem to be outdated or just don't work. Is my best option here to export all of my Calendars and upload them to Google, then remove them from Calendar? Will that mess up my iCloud syncing?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GobiasIndustries posted:

I recently bought an Android tablet and am trying to get everything between my Macbook, iPhone & tablet to sync up as much as possible. I'm struggling with calendars. I can see all of the google calendars in iCal but all of the guides I've found to get the iCal calendars pushed to google's Calendar seem to be outdated or just don't work. Is my best option here to export all of my Calendars and upload them to Google, then remove them from Calendar? Will that mess up my iCloud syncing?

My calendars are synced across platforms and all I did was add the Google account to my calendar (on your Macbook Calendar app, go to preferences -> accounts). Maybe I did something else weird and I don't remember it now but try that.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

computer parts posted:

My calendars are synced across platforms and all I did was add the Google account to my calendar (on your Macbook Calendar app, go to preferences -> accounts). Maybe I did something else weird and I don't remember it now but try that.

It's definitely in there. It's been over an hour and nothing's popped up in my android calendar app. Tried restarting, nothing happened. I must have something unchecked somewhere..

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
The last couple days I discovered that my laptop is resetting it's hostname and it's really confusing me. From what I can tell it's happening at work and the hostnames match the naming convention of the windows laptops. Does anyone know how this would happen? Nothing is connecting and resetting it, it just randomly happens.

I use both wireless and gigabit thunderbolt for connecting.

Update: As I suspected it has to do with DHCP, OSX does something backwards and retrieves the hostname from DHCP. Looks like the way to do it on ML is with scutil?

Ashex fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Nov 22, 2013

SeventySeven
Jan 18, 2005
I AM A FAGGOT WHO BEGGED EXTREMITY TO CREATE AM ACCOUNT FOR ME. PLEASE PELT ME WITH ASSORTED GOODS.

GobiasIndustries posted:

It's definitely in there. It's been over an hour and nothing's popped up in my android calendar app. Tried restarting, nothing happened. I must have something unchecked somewhere..

Try this support article: https://support.google.com/calendar/answer/2670120?hl=en&ref_topic=2586567

http://www.google.com/sync/index.html is pretty comprehensive too.

quote:

Is my best option here to export all of my Calendars and upload them to Google, then remove them from Calendar? Will that mess up my iCloud syncing?

I also just introduced an Android device in to my previously all iOS environment. Personally I found it easier to just let Google handle the syncing and skip iCloud altogether for contacts and calendars. Only weird thing I've run in to is my work machine, running Lion, seems to get some events being duplicated. Whatever the problem was it's been fixed in Mavericks calendar app.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I run Plex media server at home and I like to listen to the music on my server whilst I'm at work. Does anyone know of a more convenient client for listening to music? So far it seems the only options are the web page or the full-screen 10' UI of the Plex application. I'd love something that had a mini player I can keep visible.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Run the plex client in windowed mode? Your choices are browser, desktop client, or mobile app. That I know of at least.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Ashex posted:

The last couple days I discovered that my laptop is resetting it's hostname and it's really confusing me. From what I can tell it's happening at work and the hostnames match the naming convention of the windows laptops. Does anyone know how this would happen? Nothing is connecting and resetting it, it just randomly happens.

I use both wireless and gigabit thunderbolt for connecting.

Update: As I suspected it has to do with DHCP, OSX does something backwards and retrieves the hostname from DHCP. Looks like the way to do it on ML is with scutil?

Yup. Once you do that, it will not look for the name via DHCP anymore. That mess started with SL I think, and I can type that command in my sleep after using it so much to ensure my workstations had the proper hostnames.

Jolan
Feb 5, 2007
I'm trying to make a Bootcamp partition on my ancient MacBook, but I'm having trouble partitioning because of unmovable files. I tried trimming down the install as far as I could, but still the same. Then I plugged the drive into my iMac via a USB adapter and made a disk image, thinking it'd only image the used parts of the drive and I could then simply wipe the drive and restore the image to have all the data clumped nicely together. The disk image is indeed only as big as the data on the drive, but after restoring and trying to partition again, it still pops up the unmovable files error. Partitioning the drive via iMac gives me an error stating that there's not enough room to restore the 30gb disk image on the new 100gb partition. What else can I try to get this working?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Butt Soup Barnes posted:

Thanks guys, Parallels works awesome and the battery life doesn't seem to be too bad. It integrates really well - the only thing is I can't seem to get the default app selection to stick. I can open an .xlsx file in Excel in Win8 but even when I check the box to always do this it doesn't stick. Anybody come across this before?

Edit: Seems to be working now. This is way better than I thought it would be and I can use Office 2013 so thanks.

If you're talking about the OSX file opening setting, not a parallels or windows thing:

Right clicking a file, choosing "open in a different app" then clicking "always do this" just sets the preference for that particular file.

Right click the file, choose "get info" and change the preference for all files of that type down near the bottom of that menu.

I think it's one of the more confusing interface choices on a Mac.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

SeventySeven posted:

Try this support article: https://support.google.com/calendar/answer/2670120?hl=en&ref_topic=2586567

http://www.google.com/sync/index.html is pretty comprehensive too.

I also just introduced an Android device in to my previously all iOS environment. Personally I found it easier to just let Google handle the syncing and skip iCloud altogether for contacts and calendars. Only weird thing I've run in to is my work machine, running Lion, seems to get some events being duplicated. Whatever the problem was it's been fixed in Mavericks calendar app.

Appreciate the links, but none of these instructions are helping at all. It seems like they're for people who have multiple Google calendars, not multiple iCal calendars. I think I'm just going to convert everything to Google calendars, have that push them to my Apple products, and let iCloud back everything else up, because I've tried on my phone & Macbook now and can't get my iCal calendars onto the Android device at all.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Wife has a brand new Macbook Air, and while typing she accidentally hit the power button (it's the top-right button on the keyboard, right above delete; not the best place for it, I'd say) and instantly put it to sleep. Not a disaster, but then it wouldn't wake up. Spent five minutes hitting keys and the power button, but even though the keyboard stayed lit up, nothing else happened. Finally had to restart.

Question 1: was there something else I could have done to wake it up?
Question 2: can I re-map power button so that it gives the old sleep/restart/shut down prompt?

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.
Q1: You should be able to just bring it out of sleep by pressing the power button again. In this case it sounds like just something went wrong on waking from sleep - have you tried it again, and does it happen consistently?

Q2: You used to be able to modify the functionality of the power button using a program like PowerKey, but 10.9 broke that. I don't know of any way of remap it in Mavericks, unfortunately. Which is infuriating because I really liked having that button act as (proper) Delete (instead of Backspace that Apple labels as Delete). Yes, I know Fn + Backspace works, but it's much easier with a dedicated key, especially since it matches the location of the Delete key on my work Dell.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

GokieKS posted:

Yes, I know Fn + Backspace works,
Well I'll be goddamned. :aaa:

I haven't tried it again, but yeah, pressing power didn't do anything. I'll give it another try later and see if I can keep making it happen. My MBP sort of has the same sort of issue - if I let the thing go to sleep naturally, it does fine, wakes up when I tell it to. But if I accidentally put it to sleep (like I close the lid, then remember an email I have to send 30 seconds later) I sometimes have a hell of a time waking it up. It's like it's angry at me for sending it to bed prematurely.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Is there a way to assign the back/forward buttons of my Logitech mouse to do something without installing the Logitech drivers? Or any drivers? I'd like back/forward or even mission control on a button. Running 10.9.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Ninja Rope posted:

Is there a way to assign the back/forward buttons of my Logitech mouse to do something without installing the Logitech drivers? Or any drivers? I'd like back/forward or even mission control on a button. Running 10.9.

BetterTouchTool?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Finally installed System 10.9.

Any way to stop everything from opening on my main monitor when I login and/or when I click on the Dock icon?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

~Coxy posted:

Finally installed System 10.9.

Any way to stop everything from opening on my main monitor when I login and/or when I click on the Dock icon?
Under System Prefs > General, there's an option for 'close all windows when closing application' or something like that, and another for 'reopen windows on login'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Nah, I mean that when I click say the Safari icon it will always open on my main monitor, even though I only ever use it on my secondary monitor.
And my IRC and iTunes windows will reopen themselves on the main monitor when I restart my Mac even though they were on the secondary beforehand.

A second question is whether anyone has got BlackDock (SIMBL plugin) to work?