Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Here's another rough draft of that unexpected devotion

Deck: Unexpected Devotion

//Lands
4 Breeding Pool
4 Temple of Mystery
9 Forest
4 Island
2 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx

//Creatures
4 Elvish Mystic
4 Burning-Tree Emissary
2 Scavenging Ooze
4 Sylvan Caryatid
4 Voyaging Satyr
1 Nylea, God of the Hunt
2 Kalonian Hydra
3 Arbor Colossus
2 Prime Speaker Zegana

//Spells
4 Unexpected Results
4 Divination
2 Urban Evolution
1 Primeval Bounty

//Sideboard
2 Mistcutter Hydra
3 Cyclonic Rift
3 Fade into Antiquity
4 Nylea's Disciple
2 Progenitor Mimic
1 Ętherling

Display deck statistics

I want to get a singleton Worldspine Wurm and another Primeval Bounty into the main. I'm thinking If I can get one or the other my primary removals will be a single PSZ then a Divination. Sideboard is just stuff largely thrown together, but it's good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Archenteron posted:

I'd try to squeeze in a Rite of Replication and/or a Clone. You've got plenty of nice creatures you'd not mind having more of, it's nice to be able to copy some of your opponent's utility things, and if you clone Oloro and sacrifice the original, you get his command zone upkeep lifegain, his in-play upkeep lifegain, and therefore two triggers of the draw&drain. Also: Sun Droplet. Get punched once or have some way of damaging yourself to charge it, and you're gaining a life every upkeep.

I cut Sun Droplet from the original, apparently stupidly, because it didn't seem substantial enough. Probably wrong. Didn't even consider Clone, though, even when putting in Metamorph. Any suggestions for two cuts? I feel like I could actually cut two basic lands, but again, I'm running less than a usual contingent of mana rocks (couldn't find space) so that's probably wrong.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

tzirean posted:

I cut Sun Droplet from the original, apparently stupidly, because it didn't seem substantial enough. Probably wrong. Didn't even consider Clone, though, even when putting in Metamorph. Any suggestions for two cuts? I feel like I could actually cut two basic lands, but again, I'm running less than a usual contingent of mana rocks (couldn't find space) so that's probably wrong.

You might also look at putting in a thran turbine. It will give you a few colorless during your upkeep to trigger Oloro without needing to tap something.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

tzirean posted:

I cut Sun Droplet from the original, apparently stupidly, because it didn't seem substantial enough.
The thing that makes Sun Droplet good (that most people miss) is that it says "each upkeep," not "your upkeep," so in multiplayer it is exponentially better.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Olothreutes posted:

You might also look at putting in a thran turbine. It will give you a few colorless during your upkeep to trigger Oloro without needing to tap something.

Not a bad idea; I didn't even know that card existed.

Tharizdun posted:

The thing that makes Sun Droplet good (that most people miss) is that it says "each upkeep," not "your upkeep," so in multiplayer it is exponentially better.

...yeah, I totally missed that. Sun Droplet is definitely back in, replacing Darksteel Mutation.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
My name is Gravy Train Robber, and I have a problem. As soon as I finish building one deck, I begin building another one. B/W Midrange? My favourite. I love it. Ghost Council forever. Rakdos Aggro? Sometimes you just want to stab a dude in the face as fast as possible.

But now I want to hop on board the Devotion train with a Simic deck. Since I'm trying not to spend much more given that I already have two complete, competitive Standard decks, this is going to be a bit suboptimal. I'm just curious if some of my replacements/tweaks will significantly ruin the synergy of the deck.

Notably, I cut out Kalonian Hydras and Garruks, which I don't currently have, and don't feel like buying at the current prices. Some things are just cute, like generating a ton of mana via Nykthos and following it up with a Biomass Mutation. For a while I had a singleton Worldspine Wurm sitting in the board as well. Just fun stuff.

Are there any other tweaks to make this list more competitive, but that don't go terribly far over, say, 5 bucks/card? I have most everything listed below, but not quite and I'm fine grabbing Nykthos, etc despite the cost. This is mostly for fun, but I might add it to my FNM rotation.

Deck: Untitled Deck

//Main
4 Breeding Pool
4 Temple of Mystery
4 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
12 Forest
2 Arbor Colossus
4 Boon Satyr
4 Elvish Mystic
3 Mistcutter Hydra
2 Polukranos, World Eater
3 Prime Speaker Zegana
2 Progenitor Mimic
1 Prophet of Kruphix
4 Sylvan Caryatid
2 Sylvan Primordial
4 Voyaging Satyr
1 Biomass Mutation
2 Unexpected Results
2 Deadbridge Goliath

//Sideboard
2 Ętherling
2 Cyclonic Rift
1 Mistcutter Hydra
2 Nylea, God of the Hunt
2 Primeval Bounty
3 Syncopate
2 Bow of Nylea
1 Sylvan Primordial

Display deck statistics

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Got a few more cards for MURDERGOATS! tonight and decided to update the list. Gone are the three Rakdos Keyrunes, hello three Gnawing Zombies. I really love their inclusion, as they:

-Triggers Purphuros
-Isn't dependent on Young Pyromancer to be useful (as opposed to running, say, Magma Jet)
-Can block the many 2-power creatures running rampant in Standard
-Act as another sacrificed outlet besides Tymaret (and can even sacrifice himself, unlike the Murderking)
-Provide life gain! Holy poo poo!
-Are infinitely easier to find and trade for than Rakdos Keyrunes, Jesus Christ

Anyone have any success with MURDERGOATS tonight? :shobon:

bhsman fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Nov 23, 2013

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Actually, that last time I ran Murdergoats at fnm I got completely blown out.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Cactrot posted:

Actually, that last time I ran Murdergoats at fnm I got completely blown out.

That sucks, no matter the deck used. What kind of problems were you having with it and against what kinds of decks? What cards were you using, or was it even a significantly different deck?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

bhsman posted:

That sucks, no matter the deck used. What kind of problems were you having with it and against what kinds of decks? What cards were you using, or was it even a significantly different deck?

The first two matchups were against aggro decks and I couldn't draw enough removal to keep them at bay and stabilize. The second two I think I hadn't mulliganed effectively, I got flustered and kept opening hands I shouldn't have.

I should also say that despite my enthusiasm for the game, I am terrible at actually playing.

Edir:I was running the version with pack rats, and at times thought that a hand with two pruphoros and a pack rat was a goon opening hand.

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Nov 23, 2013

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Cactrot posted:

The first two matchups were against aggro decks and I couldn't draw enough removal to keep them at bay and stabilize. The second two I think I hadn't mulliganed effectively, I got flustered and kept opening hands I shouldn't have.

I should also say that despite my enthusiasm for the game, I am terrible at actually playing.

No reason to stop trying if you're having fun, though. :shobon:

quote:

Edir:I was running the version with pack rats, and at times thought that a hand with two pruphoros and a pack rat was a goon opening hand.

I probably need more practice with the deck, then, as this sounds like a good starting hand, though I suppose you would also want a sacrifice outlet/more consistent token generator.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Gravy Train Robber posted:

B/W Midrange? My favourite. I love it.

Could you post your list for BW midrange? Not having much success with mine. How do you do against RG and UW/Esper?

Edit: sorry, asked that on my phone and have now found your list from a week or two ago. Are you still running that?

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Nov 23, 2013

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

bhsman posted:

Anyone have any success with MURDERGOATS tonight? :shobon:

I proxied up the few cards that I'm missing and am taking it for a spin against a co-worker at lunch today, but he's playing a BR Minotaur tribal deck that he confesses isn't very good so we'll see what useful info I get out of it. I'm also not that good at actually playing Magic, but goldfishing with the filled-out deck last night was hilarious.

E: Here's the list. I've thought about Dark Betrayal in the SB as well as Massive Raid (anti-sweeper tech), but I have no idea what my local meta is like-

Deck: MURDERGOATS

//Lands
4 Blood Crypt
11 Mountain
2 Mutavault
2 Rakdos Guildgate
4 Swamp

//Spells
3 Doom Blade
3 Dreadbore
4 Lightning Strike
4 Molten Birth
3 Rakdos Keyrune
2 Rakdos's Return
3 Trading Post

//Creatures
3 Pack Rat
4 Purphoros, God of the Forge
4 Tymaret, the Murder King
4 Young Pyromancer

//Sideboard
2 Electrickery
2 Pithing Needle
2 Thoughtseize
3 Rakdos Charm
3 Ultimate Price
3 Slaughter Games

Display deck statistics

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Nov 23, 2013

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Getting in on devotion. WHITE DEVOTION! :science:

Deck: Mono White Devotion

//Lands
4 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
20 Plains

//Spells
4 Brave the Elements
2 Elspeth, Sun's Champion
1 Gideon, Champion of Justice
2 Rootborn Defenses

//Creatures
2 Angel of Serenity
2 Archangel of Thune
4 Boros Reckoner
3 Fiendslayer Paladin
1 Heliod, God of the Sun
4 Keening Apparition
4 Precinct Captain
4 Soldier of the Pantheon
3 Yoked Ox

//Sideboard
3 Blind Obedience
3 Rest in Peace
4 Celestial Flare
4 Glare of Heresy
1 Last Breath

Display deck statistics

I'm using cards I have access too. I'd prefer to be +1 Serenity and -1 Gideon. I think if I take this to an IQ or something serious, I'd have to cut something for more Rootborn defenses. (Supreme Verdiiiiiict! :argh:)

T1, Pantheon/Ox. T2 Precinct Captain, T3 Nkythos into Boros Reckoner, T4 Serenity/Elspeth. This is how I see good hands going.

I included Yoked Ox because my LGS has a lot of aggro players. Either Rakdos, Red Deck Wins or a classy lady using mono green beats like Scooze and Kalonian tusker. Could switch them out for another 1-drop, maybe Hopeful Eidolon? I want Brave the Elements to be used offensively as well as defensively, but I'll probably be clutching it close when fighting black decks.

Keening Apparition because almost every deck has some form of enchantment I'd like gone + its another two drop. Aside from Mono-Green. Not sure anyone runs Primevel Bounty these days.

Sideboard can be all kinds of loving crazy. There's Renounce the Guilds, Last Breath, more Yoked Ox, Imposing Sovereign instead of Blind Obedience.. I wanted to run Banisher Priest main board but I feel there is way to much spot removal to let it be a proper removal dude.

My biggest downfall with this deck is the lack of card draw. I want card advantage and drawing but white doesn't really have it outside of bringing in Angel of Serenity and bringing my people back from the graveyard if she bites it. I was going to try splashing blue for Sphinx's Rev but double UU is eeehh. Another friend already suggested splashing red for Boros charm.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Gravy Train Robber posted:

My name is Gravy Train Robber, and I have a problem. As soon as I finish building one deck, I begin building another one. B/W Midrange? My favourite. I love it. Ghost Council forever. Rakdos Aggro? Sometimes you just want to stab a dude in the face as fast as possible.

But now I want to hop on board the Devotion train with a Simic deck. Since I'm trying not to spend much more given that I already have two complete, competitive Standard decks, this is going to be a bit suboptimal. I'm just curious if some of my replacements/tweaks will significantly ruin the synergy of the deck.

Notably, I cut out Kalonian Hydras and Garruks, which I don't currently have, and don't feel like buying at the current prices. Some things are just cute, like generating a ton of mana via Nykthos and following it up with a Biomass Mutation. For a while I had a singleton Worldspine Wurm sitting in the board as well. Just fun stuff.

Are there any other tweaks to make this list more competitive, but that don't go terribly far over, say, 5 bucks/card? I have most everything listed below, but not quite and I'm fine grabbing Nykthos, etc despite the cost. This is mostly for fun, but I might add it to my FNM rotation.

Deck: Untitled Deck

//Main
4 Breeding Pool
4 Temple of Mystery
4 Nykthos, Shrine to Nyx
12 Forest
2 Arbor Colossus
4 Boon Satyr
4 Elvish Mystic
3 Mistcutter Hydra
2 Polukranos, World Eater
3 Prime Speaker Zegana
2 Progenitor Mimic
1 Prophet of Kruphix
4 Sylvan Caryatid
2 Sylvan Primordial
4 Voyaging Satyr
1 Biomass Mutation
2 Unexpected Results
2 Deadbridge Goliath

//Sideboard
2 Ętherling
2 Cyclonic Rift
1 Mistcutter Hydra
2 Nylea, God of the Hunt
2 Primeval Bounty
3 Syncopate
2 Bow of Nylea
1 Sylvan Primordial

Display deck statistics

Hello fellow Simic. First I want to preface this by saying I absolutely CRUSHED FNM last night, 100% undefeated even with mulls to 5 with this deck. I almost felt bad, but I was too busy doing mathematics to really care :v:

Anyways, pending your local meta, I highly recommend moving the 2 Cyclonic Rift to the main and having a 3rd in the sideboard. Same goes for Nylea's Disciple if there's lots of red/white aggro in your area.

The other card you're missing is Burning-Tree Emissary, which is one of the reasons to play the deck in the first place. And the full 4 Polukranos, which I'd argue is a good enough investment now since the core of the deck should stick around for the full 2 years.

Otherwise it's minor stuff, like Negate instead of Syncopate, 23 instead of 24 land, an extra Prophet of Kruphix, and only 1 Nylea because you never ever want to draw more than one (something everyone discovers after enough playtesting).

2 Aetherling is great in the side, and consider a pair of Gainsay if Blue is heavy near you.

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 23, 2013

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

AnacondaHL posted:

Hello fellow Simic. First I want to preface this by saying I absolutely CRUSHED FNM last night, 100% undefeated even with mulls to 5 with this deck. I almost felt bad, but I was too busy doing mathematics to really care :v:

Anyways, pending your local meta, I highly recommend moving the 2 Cyclonic Rift to the main and having a 3rd in the sideboard. Same goes for Nylea's Disciple if there's lots of red/white aggro in your area.

The other card you're missing is Burning-Tree Emissary, which is one of the reasons to play the deck in the first place. And the full 4 Polukranos, which I'd argue is a good enough investment now since the core of the deck should stick around for the full 2 years.

Otherwise it's minor stuff, like Negate instead of Syncopate, 23 instead of 24 land, an extra Prophet of Kruphix, and only 1 Nylea because you never ever want to draw more than one (something everyone discovers after enough playtesting).

2 Aetherling is great in the side, and consider a pair of Gainsay if Blue is heavy near you.

Cheers, thanks for the tips. I'm going to tinker with it some more and incorporate those suggestions, and try testing on cockatrice if I get a chance.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Could you post your list for BW midrange? Not having much success with mine. How do you do against RG and UW/Esper?

Edit: sorry, asked that on my phone and have now found your list from a week or two ago. Are you still running that?

Yeah, its largely the same. I didn't get a chance to play it much at the last FNM because I ended up walking out due to the social maladjustment of some of the people there, which I bitched about last week in the main thread. Of the two games I played, I had a very tight match against Esper Control, that he only pulled out of by having 4 copies of detention sphere in his opening hand. That was annoying. It was close, but I was also much better at remembering triggers and avoiding misplays. If my opponent hadn't been so weird and standoffish, I would have really enjoyed the game, I love tight matches. 1-2

Next round was against the shop's King rear end in a top hat or whatever, and was a pretty standard R/G Mihara's Monsters list. Dude was hostile the whole time, constantly insulting me or acting offended when I asked simple questions like whether the Satyrs that Xenagos makes have haste, or if he would please put a die on Xenagos to mark loyalty counters. As a result, I was a little put off my game, but still managed a tight match. R/G is a really hard matchup, but I lucked out when he drew his "unbeatable" hand of three Burning Tree Emissaries, and I was able to swiftly wipe them out with the extra removal I had sided in, and he didn't have much left in his hand that he could get out on the board without the devotion for Nykthos. Final match I got flooded out, sadly. 1-2

I've set aside B/W for the moment to work on practicing with my Rakdos Aggro deck. In a couple matches now, I've had trouble with flooding out at both 21 land, and 20 land. I'm seriously considering dropping the land count down further. I've won games where I've kept one-land hands, and might end up going somewhere down to 18 or 19 land. Will play in a casual Sunday event tomorrow and see how it does. Once I've got comfortable with it, I'll probably switch between it and B/W at events while I build up a third, Simic deck.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

I think the main differences in mine are mainboard I have just 1 Whip (often think of a second, it's so good and almost always buys me time at least) adjusted removal (3 Doom Blade, 1 Ultimate Price, I think) and one Blood Baron in place of an Obzedat. Sideboard is really different, I have a seccond Baron in there, and two each of Lifebane Zombie and Fiendslayer Paladin, and no Duress. I guess Lifebane is narrow enough to go, it is good against the Green/RG decks sometimes, and occasionally Selesnya aggro shows up. And how do you use the Underworld Connections, do you replace Read The Bones against Control, or use them together?

Should maybe get the 4th Ghost Council in there, but I feel there are enough Black decks and Elspeths to justify one or two, and he's pretty good against control too.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

BizarroAzrael posted:

I think the main differences in mine are mainboard I have just 1 Whip (often think of a second, it's so good and almost always buys me time at least) adjusted removal (3 Doom Blade, 1 Ultimate Price, I think) and one Blood Baron in place of an Obzedat. Sideboard is really different, I have a seccond Baron in there, and two each of Lifebane Zombie and Fiendslayer Paladin, and no Duress. I guess Lifebane is narrow enough to go, it is good against the Green/RG decks sometimes, and occasionally Selesnya aggro shows up. And how do you use the Underworld Connections, do you replace Read The Bones against Control, or use them together?

Should maybe get the 4th Ghost Council in there, but I feel there are enough Black decks and Elspeths to justify one or two, and he's pretty good against control too.

I happened to have 4 Ghost Councils, and no Blood Barons, so I used what I had (plus I blew my disposable funds on the Elspeths and stuff). Ended up being pretty happy- Obzedat is a hard card to answer, and I'm never sad to see multiples in my hand. With a whip, you can keep dragging them in and out of the graveyard/exile with Legend rules. It'll basically let you drain for 4/turn instead of 2. Its one reason I opted for a second whip- its a card I almost always want to see.

Yeah, I side out Read the Bones for Underworld Connections against control. I also side in the extra duress, but thats just because the last few events I've been too have been almost predominantly Esper control. Same reason I mainboard the Sin Collectors, although they frequently eat a counterspell.

The way I see it, your little soldiers are there to hold the fort until you get your bigger guys online, although Precinct Captain can quickly get out of hand, and in this format Soldier of the Pantheon is an incredible blocker. For my sideboard, I'd probably skip the Fiendslayer Paladins, because he's not that big or scary, you've got lifelink from the whips, and the protection from red/black spells isn't that big of a deal when he'll probably die to most things your tougher matchups will throw at you.

That said, I haven't tested my BW against my RB deck yet- it may be that Fiendslayer is a godsend to side in if you're having problems with Rakdos aggro.

Against R/G, I sided in a lot of extra removal, the Devour Fleshes, etc. Just trying to keep the board clear is the best you can do against them while you hold out for some of your big demons or ghosts.

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

This is probably a dumb question but I don't play a lot of standard so. How would BTE's help him? I thought they were only good when you could chain them off each other and the deck seem spretty tight on monsters already? Am I missing something?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

This is probably a dumb question but I don't play a lot of standard so. How would BTE's help him? I thought they were only good when you could chain them off each other and the deck seem spretty tight on monsters already? Am I missing something?
If you can find a way to use the mana that turn, it's a free bear.

Free. Bear.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
BTE also makes for ridiculous Nykthos tricks on turn 3. If you curve out and have Nykthos in hand you can go 1 drop -> 2 Drop -> BTE, play Nykthos and use the mana from BTE to activate Nykthos for 5 mana.

If you're playing red then it makes Fanatic of Mogis way more dangerous.

Edit: Speaking of which, I went 4-1 at FNM with my RW list that I posted a few pages back.

Free Gratis fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 24, 2013

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

The Leper Colon V posted:

If you can find a way to use the mana that turn, it's a free bear.

Free. Bear.

Free Bear that helps the Nykthos plan. I didn't include it because I was kind of tunnel vision focused on U/G, and really- its easy to chain it into a voyaging satyr or sylvan caryatid.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

My local LGS is having a special tournament next month. Its going to something similar to Peasant standard: 8 uncommons are allowed, and 3 rares, each of them being 1-ofs. No mythics allowed. I was thinking about working on my Rakdos aggro deck to make it work, but there are just too many uncommons for it to work. So I think the best strategy to go would be Slivers + burn/Pacifism/Madcap Skills. Would that be the best way to go?

Deck: Faux Slivers

//Creatures
4 Blur Sliver
4 Manaweft Sliver
4 Predatory Sliver
4 Sentinel Sliver
4 Striking Sliver
1 Bonescythe Sliver
1 Thorncaster Sliver
1 Megantic Sliver

//Non-Creatures
3 Lightning Strike
3 Madcap Skills
3 Pacifism
2 Armed
2 Giant Growth

//Lands
3 Gruul Guildgate
3 Selesnya Guildgate
3 Boros Guildgate
4 Forest
7 Mountain
4 Plains

Display deck statistics

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

C-Euro posted:

I proxied up the few cards that I'm missing and am taking it for a spin against a co-worker at lunch today, but he's playing a BR Minotaur tribal deck that he confesses isn't very good so we'll see what useful info I get out of it. I'm also not that good at actually playing Magic, but goldfishing with the filled-out deck last night was hilarious.

Update on this: Lost the first game when I ran out of steam, won the second game by the skin of my teeth, and then we decided that neither of us wanted to be at work anymore :v: Maybe I was just unlucky but the combo seems really reliant on having two of Purphoros, Young Pyromancer, and Tymaret out at any given time, which I think I only had for a turn or two even with full playsets of each card. My big problem was that I had no idea what to do during combat, and I would often be way outgunned and out of removal. Maybe that's the nature of my opponent's deck but I felt like simply chumping with tokens was taking away from the wincon of saccing them with Tymaret. I might maindeck a little more removal and/or put something like Mizzium Mortars in the sideboard for such an occasion, it seems like the deck wants to avoid facing down a lot of creatures. Any ideas on how to not psych myself out against combat-heavy decks?

As a side note, BR Minotaurs might be a deck to watch out for depending on what gets printed in Born of the Gods. Kragma Warcaller is pretty drat effective, and don't forget that Reckoner is a Minotaur that can be cast with only red mana. I might just suck though, it was my first time playing the deck and as I said previously I didn't know what to do in a lot of cases, especially combat. I can get a list from him on Monday if people are curious, from what I saw it probably goes something like this-

4x Deathbellow Minotaur
4x Minotaur Skullcleaver
4x Rageblood Shaman
4x Kragma Warcaller
4x Boros Reckoner
4x Duress
4x Lightning Strike
4x Doom Blade
3x Hammer of Purphoros
Molten Primordial?
Lands

I told him a while back to get a playset of Fanatic of Mogis, luckily I didn't see any. His big complaint is that it's too slow, but I guess I don't know how I'd fix that other than maybe BTE (which I already suggested)

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 24, 2013

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

GoutPatrol posted:

My local LGS is having a special tournament next month. Its going to something similar to Peasant standard: 8 uncommons are allowed, and 3 rares, each of them being 1-ofs. No mythics allowed. I was thinking about working on my Rakdos aggro deck to make it work, but there are just too many uncommons for it to work. So I think the best strategy to go would be Slivers + burn/Pacifism/Madcap Skills. Would that be the best way to go?

Deck: Faux Slivers

//Creatures
4 Blur Sliver
4 Manaweft Sliver
4 Predatory Sliver
4 Sentinel Sliver
4 Striking Sliver
1 Bonescythe Sliver
1 Thorncaster Sliver
1 Megantic Sliver

//Non-Creatures
3 Lightning Strike
3 Madcap Skills
3 Pacifism
2 Armed
2 Giant Growth

//Lands
3 Gruul Guildgate
3 Selesnya Guildgate
3 Boros Guildgate
4 Forest
7 Mountain
4 Plains

Display deck statistics

I would approach this meta while thinking an awful lot about limited formats. What are common/uncommon limited good cards? If you just got to pick your commons in limited with a 4 of limit, what would you play?

I'd consider Ux control with benthic giant/aqueous form on a guy as the win con. R gets you lightning strike and other burn, black gets doomblade, psychic strike, etc, W gets you more fliers, vanquish the foul, detain dudes.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Update on this: Lost the first game when I ran out of steam, won the second game by the skin of my teeth, and then we decided that neither of us wanted to be at work anymore :v: Maybe I was just unlucky but the combo seems really reliant on having two of Purphoros, Young Pyromancer, and Tymaret out at any given time, which I think I only had for a turn or two even with full playsets of each card. My big problem was that I had no idea what to do during combat, and I would often be way outgunned and out of removal. Maybe that's the nature of my opponent's deck but I felt like simply chumping with tokens was taking away from the wincon of saccing them with Tymaret. I might maindeck a little more removal and/or put something like Mizzium Mortars in the sideboard for such an occasion, it seems like the deck wants to avoid facing down a lot of creatures. Any ideas on how to not psych myself out against combat-heavy decks?

A few tips: unless their creatures have trample, you can declare your chump blockers and then fling them with Tymaret. You take no damage, they take two. And don't be afraid to attack with tokens, either: Purphoros' mass firebreathing is nice. Mizzium Mortars is a good choice as well.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

a dozen swans posted:

A few tips: unless their creatures have trample, you can declare your chump blockers and then fling them with Tymaret. You take no damage, they take two. And don't be afraid to attack with tokens, either: Purphoros' mass firebreathing is nice. Mizzium Mortars is a good choice as well.

Pretty sure this doesn't work anymore now that combat damage doesn't use the stack, unless there's some other interaction that I'm missing?

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

That still works. The creature is considered blocked after blockers are declared.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

a dozen swans posted:

Blood Baron and Whip aren't as played the past 2 weeks as they should be, but in case you do run up against someone with life gain this is a very useful trick of both preventing the life gain and getting in some more damage.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Standard pauper win-a-box tournament? Standard pauper deck.

Deck: Pauper Orzhov Devotion

//Lands
4 Orzhov Guildgate
4 Plains
16 Swamp

//Spells
3 Cremate
4 Devour Flesh
3 Pharika's Cure

//Creatures
3 Basilica Screecher
3 Child of Night
3 Disciple of Phenax
4 Gray Merchant of Asphodel
3 Kingpin's Pet
3 Rakdos Cackler
2 Rakdos Shred-Freak
2 Shadow Alley Denizen
1 Terrus Wurm
2 Yoked Ox

//Sideboard
3 Celestial Flare
2 Crypt Incursion
3 Pacifism
2 Riot Control
3 Sip of Hemlock
2 Solemn Offering

Display deck statistics

Nothing is finalized of course, and I realize I don't have a lot of big creatures - I'm hoping extort and Gary will chip away enough. Thoughts/comments/concerns?

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

C-Euro posted:

Pretty sure this doesn't work anymore now that combat damage doesn't use the stack, unless there's some other interaction that I'm missing?

After declaring blockers but before damage is assigned you have an opportunity to cast spells or activate abilities and blocked attackers will remain blocked even if the blocker is removed.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Celestial Flare in the board off only 8 white sources seems a bit tough. And I don't think you'll be reliably casting Yoked Ox in time for it to matter - I think I like Returned Phalanx much better as an early defender.

Rakdos Cackler is an uncommon.

I do like the plan of "make the most of Gary", though.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Jabor posted:

Celestial Flare in the board off only 8 white sources seems a bit tough. And I don't think you'll be reliably casting Yoked Ox in time for it to matter - I think I like Returned Phalanx much better as an early defender.

Rakdos Cackler is an uncommon.

I do like the plan of "make the most of Gary", though.
Derped hard on the Cackler, thanks for that. Shuffled a couple things around. I do agree that Flare with 8 white sources will be a little hard, but there isn't a lot of creature kill in pauper. Maybe switch with Smite? W for destroy blocked creature doesn't seem too bad in the format.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'd run four Baleful Eidolon, and if you still need other removal choose from Divine Verdict, Grisly Spectacle, and Liturgy of Blood. I'm not sold on Smite, anything you'd want to kill early can be profitably blocked by Returned Phalanx, and bigger threats come late enough that other removal is applicable.

Mexican Sandwich
Jan 1, 2013
Just got back from a Standard Event, went 2-3 with this deck.

Deck: Life Wasted- BUG

//Main
4 Breeding Pool
3 Burst of Strength
4 Desecration Demon
4 Doom Blade
3 Elvish Mystic
3 Forest
1 Golgari Guildgate
4 Gray Merchant of Asphodel
1 Hero's Downfall
4 Nightveil Specter
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Pack Rat
2 Pharika's Cure
2 Putrefy
2 Sanguine Bond
2 Savage Surge
11 Swamp
2 Temple of Deceit
2 Thoughtseize
1 Vraska the Unseen
1 Watery Grave
2 Whip of Erebos

//Sideboard
3 Duress
3 Dark Betrayal
1 Ultimate Price
3 Crypt Incursion
1 Pithing Needle
3 Fade into Antiquity
1 Lifebane Zombie

Display deck statistics

So, here's the breakdown:
Round 1- Mono-Red- Managed to beat this when I had a lock down on removal. Also, this deck worked exactly as I intended it:
He sac'd a Deathbellow Raider to tap my Desecration Demon, he attacks with Fanatic of Mogis, I cast Burst Of Strength on it to defend, kill Fanatic, AND since I had Sanguine Bond and Whip of Erebos, gaining 8 life and causing him to lose 8 in the process.

Round 2- vs. Esper Control. I've never played this deck before, so I didn't know what to expect. I couldn't get any creatures out for my first game, and he Detention Sphere'd my Sanguine Bond and Whip of Erebos whenever they were out. What I should have done was sideboard in my Fade into Antiquity and remove those so I could get rid of them. Also Blood Baron with protection from black killed all hope of removal.

Round 3 vs. Mono Red- This was also a mono-red deck, but this one knew what it was doing, casting Radkos creatures with Unleash, and bringing more out with Burning Tree Emissary.

Round 4 vs. GB Deathtouch- Ehh... I had a lot of flyers, and could go over the top, so it wasn't too much to worry about.

Round 5 vs. Monoblack- gently caress PACK RATS gently caress PACK RATS gently caress PACK RATS

Any advice?

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

1. Quit complaining about Pack Rat. Or any other card for that matter. Just raging instead of figuring out how to play around/beat cards actively makes you a worse player. They're legal in format, they're good, and you're going to run into them.

2. Cut pack rat, burst of strength, savage surge, and sanguine bond. The tricks aren't good enough in constructed and Bond is too slow/low-impact. Play Sylvan Caryatid over Elvish mystic, since you don't have any turn 3 plays that mystic accelerates you into and Caryatid is a safer accelerant and a better blocker. You probably also want 4 instead of 3. Underworld Connections will give you card draw and devotion and is more difficult than a creature for your opponent to remove. Reaper of the Wilds is worth considering also since it smooths out your draws and is another 4-drop to accel into with Caryatid. Move Pharika's Cure to the SB for aggro decks, run fewer doom blades and more hero's downfalls. The stuff that's going to be a problem for your creatures are going to be coming out late enough that a 3 mana spell is fine. After all of that, re-tool your mana base to account for the shift in mana requirements.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Cactrot posted:

After declaring blockers but before damage is assigned you have an opportunity to cast spells or activate abilities and blocked attackers will remain blocked even if the blocker is removed.

So if the blockers aren't around anymore, how are the attacking creatures still blocked?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

C-Euro posted:

So if the blockers aren't around anymore, how are the attacking creatures still blocked?

Magic. :science:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

C-Euro posted:

If it helps, if they have trample, they still deal damage.

Yeah, Magic is weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

C-Euro posted:

Think about it flavorfully:

That Fire Elemental comes roaring over, ready to bash in the skull of the puny champion opposite his master, when suddenly, a goat appears in front of him.

"Not a problem," the Fire Elemental thinks. "I'll just pull my fist back and -"

Suddenly, the goat disappears in a spray of blood and magic. The Fire Elemental cranes its flame-covered head to see Tymaret nearby, clutching his fist full of dead-goat energy and flinging it at the Fire Elemental's master. The impact seems devastating.

The Fire Elemental's fist is still in the air, it realizes, and never one to waste the chance to smash something, flattens and ignites the ground in front of it where a goat recently was.

His work done, he returns to his master's side of the battlefield, exhausted from the fighting, but ready to do it again next turn.

• Locked thread