Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Linkletter
Aug 4, 2004

Can someone help me understand the new robot parts and killstreak stuff? Here's what I think I get so far. Most of this information will probably be inaccurate but I will edit this post with corrections.

- There is a new MVM tour called "Operation Two Cities". It consists of four missions, and if you play them in Mann Up Mode (at a cost of 99 cents per mission, which you pay for with a Tour of Duty ticket) you get a chance at some new stuff that's been added to the game.

- After completing a mission, you receive a robot part. Some are common (battle-worn), some are less common (reinforced) and some are rare (pristine).

- After completing a tour (all four missions) you receive a killstreak kit, a "specialized" killstreak kit fabricator, a rare "professional" killstreak kit fabricator, or a REALLY rare Australium style to turn a random stock weapon gold. Each fabricator is specific to a certain kind of weapon (assigned randomly) and can be used with robot parts to create killstreak kits. It doesn't seem like the Australium stuff can be traded.

- Killstreak kits are like a strange part you can attach to your weapon to have it brag in the killfeed and at the end of a round about your killstreaks. The specialized and professional killstreak kits also add a special effect to your weapon and player model when you're on a streak.

- Fabricators are a recipe for "specialized" or "professional" killstreak kits. These are like regular ones, except they also add a special effect to your weapon and player model when you're on a streak.

- It seems like the specialized ones require about 20 battle-worn parts and 5 reinforced parts, along with any regular killstreak item. The professional killstreak kits require about 20 battle-worn parts, 5 reinforced parts, 3 pristine parts, and two specialized killstreak items.

Confused yet? Me too. I think killstreak kits and fabricators for stock weapons are going to be very valuable.

Linkletter fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat
At least they've learned their lesson and are allowing you to upgrade your existing weapons rather than having an entirely new set of the same weapons but with some small visual difference.

Linkletter
Aug 4, 2004

I just wish they'd use some common sense and focus on killstreak kits for items people actually killstreak with. The majority of these kits are junk, just like so many stranges are, yet you have just as much chance of finishing a tour and getting a fabricator for killstreak mantreads as you are one for a killstreak sticky launcher.

Plus a lot of the kits are for weapons where there isn't a strange version yet, so without the ability to detach a kit it's pretty stupid to use one up on a regular weapon at this point.

Linkletter fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Nov 22, 2013

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

You can put the killstreak stuff on your strange weapons too, right? Just making sure.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Linkletter posted:

I just wish they'd use some common sense and focus on killstreak kits for items people actually killstreak with. The majority of these kits are junk, just like so many stranges are, yet you have just as much chance of finishing a tour and getting a fabricator for killstreak mantreads as you are one for a killstreak sticky launcher.

Wow, that's incredibly stupid.

Beatwad
Jun 18, 2005
Well this is cool

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

nerdbot posted:

My new favorite TF2 outfit.

I would be using the sword all the time with something like this if it wasn't the lovely boston basher stats. :mad:

A weapon that depends on spamming that you can't spam. It's pretty much a case of 'try not to die a goofy death due to TF2's zany lag compensation in registering melee attacks! HYUK YUK!'

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Nov 22, 2013

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Stupid Trade and misunderstanding of Words story.

Someone was asking for Zatoichi's (I had three of them because I've been keeping katanas, golf clubs and Mailbox drops like a sperg), was even offering "A Hat" for one.

So I say I got spares, trade comes up and he offers a Honcho's Headgear for it. But before the trade is done he says "Wait, before we trade, how do you dual wield?"

So I explain you can't actually Dual Wield the Swords, it means a DUEL between A Soldier and Demoman with the Katana out will be a one hit kill fight. He still gives me the Bison Hat for silly katana.

PS: Det jumping up behind a heavy on a catwalk with the backburner is an amazing feeling. I will forever loving hate the bizzaro fire physics where just because the entire enemy is inside the fire effect for five seconds as you chase the, doesn't mean they will be hit. I'm looking at you good scouts :argh:

Section Z fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Nov 22, 2013

Linkletter
Aug 4, 2004

Jesus. So I decided to dive in and bought a fabricator and all the ingredients. USING A FABRICATOR CONSUMES IT. I thought it was going to be like a recipe I could use again, but it's not.

If anyone wants a specialized killstreak stickybomb launcher, here's your chance: http://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/440/Specialized%20Killstreak%20Stickybomb%20Launcher%20Kit

Only specialized killstreak kit on the market. Considering how bad the odds are of a stock weapon's fabricator dropping, I think they're going to be very valuable.

Lori
Oct 6, 2011

Spacedad posted:

I would be using the sword all the time with something like this if it wasn't the lovely boston basher stats. :mad:

A weapon that depends on spamming that you can't spam. It's pretty much a case of 'try not to die a goofy death due to TF2's zany lag compensation in registering melee attacks! HYUK YUK!'

+Literally a direct upgrade to the bat if you don't miss (even if it doesn't register as dealing damage, it will still count as hitting something, so you won't stab yourself in the foot.)
+Can do cool metal-as-gently caress blood jumps.
+Can help Medics build their uber.
-Can't spend your time being a dumbass running around W+M1ing with a melee weapon because you will kill yourself.

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Linkletter posted:

Jesus. So I decided to dive in and bought a fabricator and all the ingredients. USING A FABRICATOR CONSUMES IT. I thought it was going to be like a recipe I could use again, but it's not.

So yeah, it works like the recipe scrolls that were just added to Dota 2, which is what I suspected.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Lori posted:

+Literally a direct upgrade to the bat if you don't miss (even if it doesn't register as dealing damage, it will still count as hitting something, so you won't stab yourself in the foot.)
-Can't spend your time being a dumbass running around W+M1ing with a melee weapon because you will kill yourself.

+ If you're focused, can do self-damage to rob an opponent of a health pack when you would otherwise be at full health. Really useful against heavies and soldiers.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Spacedad posted:

I should note that this guy did indeed have the Witcher sword.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Lori posted:

I guess it's kind of rewarding if you play with it as a 'skill weapon' that punishes you for not being more skillful. The problem with it that I have is not that though - it's TF2's lag compensation doing wonky things with connecting apparent melee strikes. I can live with missing the occasional spy stab or demonknight swing or pyro axetinguishment. But self-damaging that bleed due to the game pulling bullshit on you is ROUGH.

Although I'd like a scout sword weapon that i can swing around freely like a maniac too, please.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Spacedad posted:

I guess it's kind of rewarding if you play with it as a 'skill weapon' that punishes you for not being more skillful. The problem with it that I have is not that though - it's TF2's lag compensation doing wonky things with connecting apparent melee strikes. I can live with missing the occasional spy stab or demonknight swing or pyro axetinguishment. But self-damaging that bleed due to the game pulling bullshit on you is ROUGH.

Although I'd like a scout sword weapon that i can swing around freely like a maniac too, please.

Yeah, TF2 has incredibly wonky melee. I've watched as a spy backstabs one of my team, only for nothing to happen. They were in a narrow corridor and the teammate was definitely facing away from the spy. Couldn't have been lag either, since the guy didn't turn around. I've heard myself get stabbed a few times and not only have I not died, I haven't even taken any damage. With melee like that, I can barely justify using melee at all, let alone with a weapon that hurts me when I either fail or just get unlucky with how the game decides to handle melee that day.

natsea
May 31, 2005
Just started playing this week. http://steamcommunity.com/id/varninsky
Add me so I don't have to play on a team with way too many spies and snipers please.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Slime posted:

Yeah, TF2 has incredibly wonky melee. I've watched as a spy backstabs one of my team, only for nothing to happen. They were in a narrow corridor and the teammate was definitely facing away from the spy. Couldn't have been lag either, since the guy didn't turn around. I've heard myself get stabbed a few times and not only have I not died, I haven't even taken any damage. With melee like that, I can barely justify using melee at all, let alone with a weapon that hurts me when I either fail or just get unlucky with how the game decides to handle melee that day.

If you hit someone client-side but the hit doesn't register on the server for whatever reason it still counts as a hit when using the Boston Basher with regards to whether or not you take self-bleed.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Reiley posted:

If you hit someone client-side but the hit doesn't register on the server for whatever reason it still counts as a hit when using the Boston Basher with regards to whether or not you take self-bleed.

Huh.

Is it possible to "miss" clientside but "hit" serverside, causing both yourself and the enemy to bleed?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Ditocoaf posted:

Huh.

Is it possible to "miss" clientside but "hit" serverside, causing both yourself and the enemy to bleed?

I don't believe that's possible unless you're using a spy knife or sniper melee weapon.

firestruck
Dec 28, 2010

nullify me

Spacedad posted:

Admittedly, melee as a scout is the second most useless thing you could probably be doing in TF2. You could only ever taunt kill people with the Sandman and it would still be a more optimal strategy than actually hitting them with a bat.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
Fun fact: Apparently the guy that did that awesome End of the Line SFM trailer is in fact working on a longer 8 minute version AND was contacted by Valve to perhaps have an update to TF2 released at the same time as the short!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmVsOl9qAhs

SOURCE:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/22/interview-james-mcvinnie-director-of-end-of-the-line/

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

Quotetype posted:

Admittedly, melee as a scout is the second most useless thing you could probably be doing in TF2. You could only ever taunt kill people with the Sandman and it would still be a more optimal strategy than actually hitting them with a bat.

My 109 kills on strange Wrap Assassin say otherwise. :smugdog:

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Quotetype posted:

It doesn't get much better than tearing rear end with full BFB boost wielding nothing but a Festive Holy Mackeral. Bearing down on a medic, assassinating him and then hauling out before his pocket figures out what the gently caress is the sweetest feeling.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Tamayachi posted:

It doesn't get much better than tearing rear end with full BFB boost wielding nothing but a Festive Holy Mackeral. Bearing down on a medic, assassinating him and then hauling out before his pocket figures out what the gently caress is the sweetest feeling.

It helps to soften them up with a scattergun blast before going in for your melee kills. Also: http://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/440/Collector%27s%20Killstreak%20Loch-n-Load $300 collector's killstreak gun.

Zero!
Apr 13, 2011

You're gonna have to try a little harder than THAT.
Update's hit, bunch of bug fixes.

quote:

- Fixed a client crash caused by using custom HUD files
- Fixed a server crash related to damaging the tank with the new Medic shield
- Fixed Strange Australium weapons not properly tracking kills
- Fixed bots trying to attack an old sentry location after the gun has been picked up by the Engineer
- Fixed a bug that would cause robot "gate hat" items to be craftable. Gate hats that were crafted while the bug was active have self-destructed and become limited-quantity Glitched Circuit Boards as a commemorative token.
- Fixed the Adjust Unusual slider not working for some hats, including the Dr's Dapper Topper
- Fixed the Health Regen MvM upgrade string mistakenly displaying %
- Fixing the Killstreak HUD not showing up for Tier 0 Killstreak weapons
- Fixed Killstreak Mediguns not getting killstreak credit for assists
- Fixed using the wrong color in the HUD deathnotice for Killstreak weapons

Grats on getting a collectible item that could sell to hat barons for loads, Beatwad! :toot:

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Tamayachi posted:

Fun fact: Apparently the guy that did that awesome End of the Line SFM trailer is in fact working on a longer 8 minute version AND was contacted by Valve to perhaps have an update to TF2 released at the same time as the short!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmVsOl9qAhs

SOURCE:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/11/22/interview-james-mcvinnie-director-of-end-of-the-line/

Of course he's working on the 8 minute version. That's what the trailer was for! To say "hey get excited to watch my movie when it comes out"! Either way, I wonder what type of content they could release!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Spacedad posted:

Work-related funhaving news: There's a very suspicious looking farmer in this promo. ;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfRI_DzBpag

Heppy Fenksgibben, funhaves.

OK I've watched this over and over again and I can't work it out. Spell it out for a moron?

Dick Bitchwhistle
Oct 28, 2007

by Lowtax

Beatwad posted:

Well this is cool

congrats on your glitched circuit board that is going to be worth like $1000 probably

miscellaneous14
Mar 27, 2010

neat

Dabir posted:

OK I've watched this over and over again and I can't work it out. Spell it out for a moron?

Spacedad drew the Farmer with very similar clothes to the Engineer. There have been quite a few times where he's given a background character a color scheme or general appearance similar to TF2 stuff.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Tamayachi posted:

video

SOURCE:

We kinda already knew the full version was in the works, since that's what a "trailer" is, a video that tells you about an upcoming thing by showing you bits of it.

But yeah, that RPS interview is really interesting and people should read it if they're even vaguely curious about Source Film Maker.

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
To be fair, I've seen more than my fair share of "trailers" for things that were never meant to be full movies or creations; the trailer itself was the final product.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Whoa:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=196539147

e: Double whoa:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=196817620

Reiley fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Nov 23, 2013

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

Hello new custom taunt.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

SkySteak posted:

Hey does anyone have that video of that guy on Harvest going on about how OP/easy mode soldiers as a clas were?
Yeah

Wish I had a demo recording of last night (although sequels are rarely as satisfying so it's probably for the best.) I ran into another guy with strong opinions about a certain class in Team Fortress 2 becoming quite irrate with me for playing said class. This time around it was a brony soldier who thought pyros were the scourge of the earth.

First it was the 'lucky' reflects I was getting, up until he made some remark about horse-raping (????) me after killing me during humiliation. Then he complained about my "puff-and-sting" and how it was a cheap way to kill people that anyone could do. As he became reckless chasing after me, he started complaining about my w+m1 because that's what he was dying to by that point. After going on a tirade after each death he finally fell silent when I juggled him with his own rocket and finished him off with a flairshot (copyrighting that right now.)

He started a vote to scramble teams, received a harsh word from his brony medic buddy for trying to scramble, and left. What made the whole experience extra special was I hadn't said a word during the whole ordeal. I was egging that heavy in the harvest video on, but this guy manufactured all his own rage purely from how other people were playing video games.

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf
The TF2 matchmaking system or whatever it's called is the worst. Do you have to use that for Mann Up mode?

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.

Othin posted:

The TF2 matchmaking system or whatever it's called is the worst. Do you have to use that for Mann Up mode?

Yeah, and it's total garbage. Even if you have a full premade party it can take a while to start a game up.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I actually have access to my desktop computer this week. What time does Friday Night Funhavers usually go down?

Emo Szyslak
Feb 25, 2006

I've been getting into Mann up mode pretty quickly, actually.

Edit: is there a thread for setting up Mann runs? This poo poo is hard

Emo Szyslak fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 23, 2013

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Wow, I figured the Unusual slider would be to turn them down from default on some of the newer effects, but it's the opposite. I just cranked my bubbling Cannonball up to maximum bubbling :3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Spaceman Bill posted:

I've been getting into Mann up mode pretty quickly, actually.

Edit: is there a thread for setting up Mann runs? This poo poo is hard

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/goonvsmachine

• Locked thread