Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Finished school 3 weeks ago and no interviews yet. May as well give this a shot.

My experience: Mostly self employed PC repair over the last 5 years. Local state trade school degree in Network Systems Administration. A+, MCP, MCTS: Active Directory 2008 certifications. Extensive lab work focused on Domain administration. AD, DNS, DHCP, WDS.
What I'm looking for: Entry level Tier 1 Desktop Support
What I'm NOT looking: Call center
Where I live: Near Fort Lauderdale, FL.
Where I'm looking: Willing to work anywhere in FL. Have heard great things about the IT scenes in Houston, Raleigh, Richmond, Seattle, DC, and Columbus. Would honestly consider moving anywhere.
When I can start: Immediately
Requirements: None

VV Will definitely check that out.

Cardboard Fox fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Feb 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merica
Jan 28, 2009

Cardboard Fox posted:

Finished school 3 weeks ago and no interviews yet. May as well give this a shot.

My experience: Mostly self employed PC repair over the last 5 years. Local state trade school degree in Network Systems Administration. A+, MCP, MCTS: Active Directory 2008 certifications. Extensive lab work focused on Domain administration. AD, DNS, DHCP, WDS.
What I'm looking for: Entry level Tier 1 Desktop Support
What I'm NOT looking: Call center
Where I live: Near Fort Lauderdale, FL.
Where I'm looking: Willing to work anywhere in FL. Have heard great things about the IT scenes in Houston, Raleigh, Richmond, Seattle, DC, and Columbus. Would honestly consider moving anywhere.
Requirements: None
Can be reached via: PM or email me:

Definitely check out NoVA. If you are willing to move. It is a bit pricey up here but there are tons of opportunities. I live down the street from a VMWare, Microsoft, Google, Dell, and MCAfee office.

Merica fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Feb 17, 2016

Lareous
Feb 19, 2008

I can't decide on the best place to ask this, but has anyone had experience with staffing firms? I've been bombarded with different companies calling and offering me contract work. Mostly Robert Half/TEKSystems/Insight Global/etc.

Are these a bad idea? I'm getting kind of desperate because my unemployment runs out in a month or so.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Lareous posted:

I can't decide on the best place to ask this, but has anyone had experience with staffing firms? I've been bombarded with different companies calling and offering me contract work. Mostly Robert Half/TEKSystems/Insight Global/etc.

Are these a bad idea? I'm getting kind of desperate because my unemployment runs out in a month or so.

I'd like to know this as well. Reviews online tend to be... rather negative.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think Robert Half specifically get called out in the Working in IT thread as being a complete waste of space unable to read resumes when proposing people for positions, they instead take an approach similar to throwing poo poo at a wall.

Incidentally, that's probably a better thread to ask in.

Merica
Jan 28, 2009

Lareous posted:

I had success getting placed at a pretty good job through teksystems. No real benefits or PTO but take it for now and look for something better. Not sure what your experience level in the field is. I was pretty much entry level.

Pudgygiant
Apr 8, 2004

Garnet and black? More like gold and blue or whatever the fuck colors these are
UK goons, get this job and land me some swag. I have no affiliation with Williams F1, I just think it'd be a drat cool place to work.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

That's pretty much the only field I could ever tolerate being at work effectively 24/7. I don't think it would be possible to resent going into work when work is an F1 team.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Merica posted:

I had success getting placed at a pretty good job through teksystems. No real benefits or PTO but take it for now and look for something better. Not sure what your experience level in the field is. I was pretty much entry level.

I had good experiences with TekSystems as well. Contract gig paid well, my account manager was very engaged and made sure I was happy. No complaints at all, but I imagine probably varies quite a bit from office to office.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Maneki Neko posted:

I had good experiences with TekSystems as well. Contract gig paid well, my account manager was very engaged and made sure I was happy. No complaints at all, but I imagine probably varies quite a bit from office to office.

This basically describes all good contract worth. Robert Half is just poo poo. They get exclusive contracts with Oracle or whomever, interview 100 candidates whose resume says "DBA", then throw them in the grinder until one passes the mediocrity barrier

They don't take contracts for less than $20/hr or whatever now, so it may be reasonable to shotgun for your first job, but are generally "avoid"

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I'm in contact with quite a few TekSystems recruiters. They seem to throw pretty decent stuff at me, but I've just never been at the right point to take any of it.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

My employer has used TekSystems quite a bit and had reasonable luck. In some markets they've been unable to offer good people, but those were also markets where our public job postings failed to produce interested applicants, so I can't put it all on Tek. In stronger markets we can tell them what we're looking for and they filter out the chaff for us. I've never once had them send me a candidate who turned out to be unqualified.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

evol262 posted:

They don't take contracts for less than $20/hr or whatever now, so it may be reasonable to shotgun for your first job, but are generally "avoid"

Is that for the bill rate, or for the pay that the contractor will actually expect to take home? I was in a position through Robert Half for years as a helpdesk lead, ending the contract at around $18/hr (which would make the bill rate what, like 28-30?). I started in the position through K Force, who were at least mediocre -- decent enough health insurance, and my account manager cared enough to keep in semi-regular contact with me and take me out to lunch every now and then. The company I was actually working at decided they wanted their IT staff to all come from the same contracting agency for some legal sake, so I had to transfer over to Robert Half (which K Force was none too happy about but they dealt with it -- even told Robert Half I earned a dollar more per hour than I really did to screw it to them, to my benefit). After the transfer, I never once heard from anyone at the Robert Half offices. To be fair, I also never really had any problems that needed to be addressed. Their health insurance is total loving poo poo though.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Drone posted:

Is that for the bill rate, or for the pay that the contractor will actually expect to take home? I was in a position through Robert Half for years as a helpdesk lead, ending the contract at around $18/hr (which would make the bill rate what, like 28-30?). I started in the position through K Force, who were at least mediocre -- decent enough health insurance, and my account manager cared enough to keep in semi-regular contact with me and take me out to lunch every now and then. The company I was actually working at decided they wanted their IT staff to all come from the same contracting agency for some legal sake, so I had to transfer over to Robert Half (which K Force was none too happy about but they dealt with it -- even told Robert Half I earned a dollar more per hour than I really did to screw it to them, to my benefit). After the transfer, I never once heard from anyone at the Robert Half offices. To be fair, I also never really had any problems that needed to be addressed. Their health insurance is total loving poo poo though.

Take home. It was "at least $15/hr" 10 years ago, and I thought it would have gone up, but $20 was a guess. Billable is ~30% higher, but they never tell the consultant anyway. They agree on a rate with the client then they try to pay you as little as possible to skim the overhead. Contracting.

There's a middle ground between the companies who only contact you when the job is over or up for renewal and the ones who pretend they're your friend and want to talk to you every week, but it depends on your client.

Hegel
Dec 17, 2009
tl;dr I'm currently in a Phd program in Philosophy trying to transition into software development. I know Ruby/Rails, some web dev basics and working on Scala.

My experience: intermediate Ruby/Rails, 10+ years using Linux environments, basic SQL, HTML, CSS, some JS. Used SQL in previous temp accounting positions and familiar with relational databases.

What I'm looking for: Pretty much anything entry-level. Fine with an internship, part-time or full-time position Q/A or dev position.

What I'm NOT looking for: N/A

Where I live: Washington, DC

When I can start: 12/16

Can be reached via: drackenov@gmail.com

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Merica posted:

Definitely check out NoVA. If you are willing to move. It is a bit pricey up here but there are tons of opportunities. I live down the street from a VMWare, Microsoft, Google, Dell, and MCAfee office.

Piggy-backing on this, aside from the big technology names there are loads and loads of shops that do contract work for the government that pay well. A goon in this very thread got me into a large professional services firm after I moved to the area for a legal position and was looking to get back to my roots.

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

We do the IT work for a tech staffing company and they're looking for a sys admin candidate in the Houston area. It's for a real estate company with 5 offices:

quote:

RESPONSIBILITIES

Desktop Support

· Telephone, email, and desk-side support for all employees’ hardware and application issues.
· Re-imaging and install of client desktops and mobile computers
· Perform “bench” diagnostics and repair of computer hardware
· Working knowledge of Tablet and mobile devices
· Maintain training and meeting rooms inclusive of all audio/visual equipment
· Support remote users conducting off-premise training or presentations

System/Network Administration

· Administering of the network servers (Windows preferred)
· Working knowledge of Cisco LAN/WAN networking
· Working knowledge of physical and logical security
· Experience in Helpdesk ticketing, follow-up and resolution.
· Create user domain and email accounts.
· Install server Operating System Software
· Apply and test software patches.
· General programming and maintenance of the converged phone system
· Advanced configuration including building, modifying and maintaining call routing announcements and auto-attendant applications for the phone system.
· Monitoring of the network status.
· Administer public Wi-Fi network access and security
· Data backup and restores
· Familiar with network wiring and fault tracing

REQUIREMENTS

· 2-5 years of experience in a technical support position
· Experience providing hardware and software technical support
· Knowledge of system administration in a Windows Environment
· Experience performing administrative tasks in Active Directory
· Ability to set up Windows servers
· Knowledge of Mobile Device troubleshooting and support
· Any experience working with storage technology is a plus
· Experience supporting and troubleshooting VOIP is a plus
· Virtualization experience is a plus

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Lareous posted:

I feel the need to throw my two cents in here, as an IT recruiter. I think banks are a decent parallel to recruiting firms in regards to how their size affects how you are treated. Your experience with a larger firm, like Half, Apex, Tek, is sort of like choosing one of the larger banks like BoA. They have access to tons of jobs but the simple fact is you are a number and will be treated as such. You can't deny that they place people, but if you are looking for a recruiter who is actually going to take the time to care about who you are and where you want to go with your career.

A smaller or boutique firm (bank) will get to know you everything you are looking for and probably has some great client relationships and services, however they might not have a national presence or name recognition and therefore may not be able to present you with as many opportunities.

A mid-market agency (like mine) will hopefully be a good balance of the two. I work for a firm with offices nationwide, but building relationships is ingrained in our culture, and that includes paying people right. We build our business by word of mouth, fair treatment, and customer service rather than by being the lowest bidder and gouging our consultants at every turn.

I may be biased, because this is the only agency I've ever recruited for, but I don't think I could work at a place like Half. I'm SURE there are good recruiters there that actually care, but the culture and business model dictate that they play by Half's rules.

Long story short: I would always work with an agency or three to increase your bandwidth. Recruiters have the ability to get your resume right on a hiring manager's desk, as opposed to being just a resume in the stack when you apply online. The process just works.

Choose your recruiters carefully.
Make sure they make the time to meet with you and actually listen and take notes.
Make sure they know that in order to submit your resume anywhere they need your permission EACH time.
Make sure you agree on a pay rate (in writing) before each submittal or they at least have a clear understanding of what your needs are.

Feel like I'm rambling so I'll stop. Feel free to ask away about staffing agencies, I worked in IT infrastructure for 12 years (for agencies at times) before coming over the the recruiting side.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Who we are: LiquidLogic
About the company: A Engineering firm that creates various products for 3rd party vendors.
Where we are: Boise, ID
Who we are looking for: A very experienced Android/Java programmer; C/C++is a great plus as well.
The Good: This job is for a new Android tablet we are producing, and we need a Android app made for it. the job is for contract work, and Telecommuting is also fine, so long as you can adhere to some pretty strict deadlines and have a strong independent work ethic.
IF you have embedded Object oriented C or C++ skills, there are also other opportunities to stay working as a contractor with us for quite some time, as we have several other products that need to be worked on.

The Bad: The company is small, and this probably won't lead to full time employment unless you are in the Boise area.
Contact: More information can be found here and you can PM me if you want more details and I can put a word in for you.

Other information: You will need to provide code samples to us, so a github or a dropbox would be a good idea. Linux knowledge is a great idea, as in addition to SOC, we also have several embedded Linux projects as well that I oversee.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Count Sacula posted:

IT recruiter.

Thanks for the great advice.

I'm currently working with 3 recruiters myself. One is a very large firm, and the other 2 are midsized. To be honest, all 3 feel exactly the same. It's difficult to get any information out of them as they rarely respond to emails and phone calls. They do call frequently only to ask my permission to send my resume over to a company, but that's pretty much it. No luck yet after a month of searching, which is why I'm considering moving to another area.

I've thought about meeting with other recruiters, but I don't know if I'd be wasting my time or not since it's hard to gauge how good they will be during the 30 minute interview.

VV Thanks for the response. I'll PM you my email to discuss this further.

Cardboard Fox fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Nov 26, 2013

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Cardboard Fox posted:

Thanks for the great advice.

I'm currently working with 3 recruiters myself. One is a very large firm, and the other 2 are midsized. To be honest, all 3 feel exactly the same. It's difficult to get any information out of them as they rarely respond to emails and phone calls. They do call frequently only to ask my permission to send my resume over to a company, but that's pretty much it. No luck yet after a month of searching, which is why I'm considering moving to another area.

I've thought about meeting with other recruiters, but I don't know if I'd be wasting my time or not since it's hard to gauge how good they will be during the 30 minute interview.

I think the mistake a lot of people make is assuming a recruiter will "get you a job". It's true, I place people in jobs but my primary focus (and how I get paid) is finding candidates for my clients. In reality I think I only placed about 25 or so people this year, so maybe 5-10% of the people I interviewed. However this has been my best year ever and many of the people I interviewed this year I will place next year.

I bring people in because they have great resumes/backgrounds, or they have a skill set in demand, or even because they have worked at a client and I want more info on that client. However, even if I don't think I can help someone at that time, I always try and make sure I give them something helpful to make the meeting worth their time. Resume/career advice and ideas are the big one. I know my market and what skill set pays how much and which companies are great to work for and which bosses are rough.

If none of your recruiters are responsive, I would go out on a short limb and say that either they aren't the kind of recruiters I want to work with, or that you're a totally unplace-able candidate. I would bet on the former. If you want to shoot me a PM with your email, I'll be glad to give your resume a once over.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

My experience: 1 year Technical Program Management for Microsoft with Release Management of multiple products and Feature work, 3+ years Technical Support Management, 3 years installation technician, 2 years break/fix
What I'm looking for: Technical Program Management or Project Management position, preferably in software/hardware development
What I'm NOT looking for: End-user support
Where I live: Seattle area
Where I'm looking: Seattle, Pacific Northwest, rest of US.
When I can start: January 2014
Requirements: Negotiable based on area and responsibilities
Can be reached via: PM, LinkedIn, or email me: michael.r.board@gmail.com

wintermuteCF
Dec 9, 2006

LIEK HAI2U!

Paladine_PSoT posted:

My experience: 1 year Technical Program Management for Microsoft with Release Management of multiple products and Feature work, 3+ years Technical Support Management, 3 years installation technician, 2 years break/fix
What I'm looking for: Technical Program Management or Project Management position, preferably in software/hardware development

I have an EXCITING job opportunity to share with you! It may be entry-level, Tier 1 helpdesk. It may also have no benefits or sick/paid time off or holidays. It may also be contract work with a short duration. But it's PERFECT for someone like you!

(this is my mockery of how Robert Half Technology seems to do their recruiting)

Edit: Maybe you should just start selling flash drives or something.

TheFlyingDutchman
May 26, 2005
Skyway wanderer

wintermuteCF posted:

I have an EXCITING job opportunity to share with you! It may be entry-level, Tier 1 helpdesk. It may also have no benefits or sick/paid time off or holidays. It may also be contract work with a short duration. But it's PERFECT for someone like you!

(this is my mockery of how Robert Half Technology seems to do their recruiting)

Edit: Maybe you should just start selling flash drives or something.

If they don't do something like this right away, then they certainly do after you have to take their stupid "assessment" test. I have never seen anything so stupid and so mundane in my life at all. "Oh, you have ten years of Windows server experience? Here, take this test!" The test will ask you questions that literally NOBODY uses or knows about(who in the hell actually uses RRAS?). "Oh hey, you scored low on all these parts, but we know we didn't ask you anything important. This will be a hard sell, so we'll need to drop the pay a bit. Don't worry! We'll sell you! We're good!"

gently caress Robert-Half Technology and gently caress every single fuckhole who works there.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]
Whoa, I remember the first recruiter I ever met mentioning an assessment test and me just wondering what it was all about. I have my A+ and Active Directory certification, is that not enough anymore to get an entry level help desk job? Thankfully the guy never sent me the assessment so I guess I dodged a bullet.

Still kind of curious what kind of questions it would have asked me.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Cardboard Fox posted:

Whoa, I remember the first recruiter I ever met mentioning an assessment test and me just wondering what it was all about. I have my A+ and Active Directory certification, is that not enough anymore to get an entry level help desk job? Thankfully the guy never sent me the assessment so I guess I dodged a bullet.

From what I've encountered, you're now expected to have a bachelor's in an IT field, 3-5 years of experience, and anything from just the A+ to half the compTIA/Microsoft line of technical certifications just to get an entry-level position. I have an associate's degree, the A+, and I'm working on Networking+ and I've gotten turned down for basic password-reset-monkey-for-our-website type positions because "We were looking for someone with more experience/we went with a candidate with more experience".

:suicide:

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

President Ark posted:

From what I've encountered, you're now expected to have a bachelor's in an IT field, 3-5 years of experience, and anything from just the A+ to half the compTIA/Microsoft line of technical certifications just to get an entry-level position. I have an associate's degree, the A+, and I'm working on Networking+ and I've gotten turned down for basic password-reset-monkey-for-our-website type positions because "We were looking for someone with more experience/we went with a candidate with more experience".

:suicide:

But what's your experience? Certs aren't experience.
edit: Should move discussion to the proper thread

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Paladine_PSoT posted:

But what's your experience? Certs aren't experience.
edit: Should move discussion to the proper thread

About a year in a call center environment, but that still doesn't answer the question of "how do you break into the field when what's supposed to be the lowest-level job in it asks for multiple years experience before even considering you?"

(And noted)

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up

Cardboard Fox posted:

I only give an assessment if:

a) My client requires it

or

b) It would help bridge the gap between the job description and your perceived experience

Other than that, F those tests, what a waste of time...

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
Who we are: Local Real Estate/Property Tax Asset Management Company(TM)

About the company: 5+ year old child company with 8 employees, working with a 10+ year old parent company with ~40 employees

Where we are: Chicago, IL (Loop)

Who we are looking for: JR. developer with the experience in any of the following, ordered by importance : C#, MVC, MS Web API, general .NET, general MS SQL, graphic/front end design (read: website, mobile apps, maybe some print marketing material here and there), Telerik's various suites. 2 year degree a plus, certs a plus, experience a plus. If you lack any of those then some sample projects/a portfolio is expected.

The Good: Strong company in the region that hasn't stopped growing since it started. Full benefits, plenty of personal/holiday time. Salaried development position that for the moment is an actual 40 hour a week workload. Business casual attire required, but otherwise a very lax environment and fun place to work. The workforce here is mostly under 30, smart, and highly motivated. I thought places like this were a fairy tale when I was working in a giant corporate environment. Seems about monthly there's an after hours company sponsored function to celebrate new clients, new this, new that, or just because. The staff and environment is as such where this is actually something to look forward to even for a neckbeard like me.

The Bad: Typical small business mix mash of priorities dictated by whatever client is about to land or has just landed. This can include anything from new mobile apps to screen scraping data if no other means are available. Not really big on telecommuting at all for at least the first ~months. I've been here a year, and have been looking to move towards a weekly work from home day for my suburb commuting self since I started. The workload and communication with staff for requirements/testing/whatever just hasn't allowed for it. Whenever things start looking calm enough to think about it, something else pops up and it's a pipe dream again.

The Ugly: Should that next client end up being a whale you and I may not see daylight for awhile, because they will chain us to our desks. Though I'm confident that if that should happen we'll be able to hire more help or utilize some temp/consulting resources to make it a short term problem, and not the new normal.

Contact: PM me or email me your resume/info/expected salary and I'll get back to you within a couple of days.

Feral Bueller
Apr 23, 2004

Fun is important.
Nap Ghost

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Sitting in a conference room in Studio A right now :ninja:

Glans Dillzig
Nov 23, 2011

:justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost::justpost:

knickerbocker expert

President Ark posted:

About a year in a call center environment, but that still doesn't answer the question of "how do you break into the field when what's supposed to be the lowest-level job in it asks for multiple years experience before even considering you?"

(And noted)

Apply for them anyway. The worst that can happen is that they say no.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Glans Dillzig posted:

Apply for them anyway. The worst that can happen is that they say no.

The general advice on this is they advertise for the dream person for HR. But know they will probably have to take someone to build in to the role.

Edmantium
Jan 15, 2011

I WAS READY TO EMBRACE A MAN
My experience: ~2 years Desktop Support/Hardware Installation/Network Support/etc, I was basically a jack of all trades for 2 years. Have CCENT/A+.

What I'm looking for: Tier I/II support, Jr. SysAdmin

What I'm NOT looking for: Call center

Where I live: Mid Hudson Valley, NY (I would absolutely LOVE to leave but I don't have the money to)

Where I'm looking: Mid Hudson Valley area or possibly remote work

Requirements: Full-time

Can be reached via: email - Edmantium@gmail.com

Edmantium fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 14, 2013

ptier
Jul 2, 2007

Back off man, I'm a scientist.
Pillbug
My experience: BS in Computer Engineering, ~2.5 Years at a medium sizes MSP. Did all the OSX work and lots of Windows side phone and email support + Wireless and networking rollouts. Personally: worked and working with building embedded devices in C/C++mainly on TI platforms and have worked in Objective C on a couple of iOS idea exercises that didn't go anywhere but were fun to play with.

What I'm looking for: Remote support and technical writing for OSX / iOS / Web Applications with sprinkles of QA + "get me in the door" programming work on those platforms (part time / full time). I want to start working more with Software / QA and move away from computer janitor.

What I'm NOT looking for: Help Desk for major corporation / Call center / basic IT.

Where I live: Hampton Roads, VA (Norfolk, Newport News, Williamsburg)

Where I'm looking: Mostly remote work but if someone is close (Richmond) I would be completely willing to relocate.

When I can start: 2 weeks notice

Requirements: Part-Time / Full-Time

Can be reached via: email - peter.glanville@gmail.com

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
My experience: ~year rebuilding a network from ground up at a college supporting 500 internal users +50k end users. General IT manager 1 year dealing with 50% Desktop support, 25% fixing WAN/NAT/LAN issues as well as Tshooting SQL, exchange, FS and other poo poo.; 25% design net/storage/vmware. 1 year, 2 months Design, implement, and Tshoot VMware/network/storage designs; customer relations in selling/supporting products and solutions 1k-5k users and infrasturctures. 9 months dealing with SMB Tshooting of Vmware/VDI, recovery of downed environments, company upgrades for workstations/servers/routers/VPN's/etc Exchange admin, SQL admin, and MSCA level knowledge
What I'm looking for: I want to eat, breath, and live; network/storage/vmware. DR? okay, HA, DRS as butter! VDI you betcha!
What I'm NOT looking for: over 30% helpdesk of my time per week helldesk
Where I live: Virginia beach VA, WILLING TO MOVE given the opportunity
Where I'm looking: Hampton roads, Charolette NC or other with some assistance to relocation
When I can start: ASAP
Requirements: Dental only
Can be reached via: PM, Corvettefish3r@gmail.com

Fox_bat
Mar 6, 2010

The Dreamer posted:

My experience: BA in Business Admin/Management Information Systems. Quite a few years troubleshooting and repairing PCs for family members and people and businesses around town for which I don't charge nearly enough. A+ certified. Built and manage a couple fairly simple websites using HTML, CSS, and some jQuery and PHP. Basic 'tech guy in a podunk town' stuff.

What I'm looking for:
Entry-level anything really.

What I'm NOT looking for:
Sales (I'm terrible at it for the most part)

Where I live: Olympic Peninsula, Washington

Where I'm looking: Anywhere in Washington preferably.

When I can start: Off-season at my current job so I can pretty much start anytime without disrupting anything.

Can be reached via: insolent.apprentice@gmail.com

Still looking? If yes, interested in a Linux System Admin position in Bellevue?

The Dreamer
Oct 15, 2013

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Fox_bat posted:

Still looking? If yes, interested in a Linux System Admin position in Bellevue?

Still looking yes but I have very little experience working with Linux at this point. Probably one of the things I need to work on next.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Senior MS SQL DBAs needed in Denver, CO

I've posted a couple times in this thread about Xero. We provide online accounting software for small/medium sized businesses. We're now looking for some senior DBAs to join our young Operations team in Denver.

Do you want to manage a database that holds the accounting data of over 250,000 businesses worldwide? A number that's been consistently doubling every year? With a company that's sitting on over $100 Million USD in funding? While maintaining a 99.99% uptime?

Our head office is based in Wellington, New Zealand, and that's where the majority of our Operations team is. A few months ago we opened a remote office in Denver with a small team of 5 to help get some time zone coverage in that area. Now we're looking to add up to 3 DBAs to that team so that our NZ DBAs can also enjoy the benefits of having staff working in an office when you're sleeping! In about a year or so we'll start doing the same in the UK.

There is an Oncall roster, though the idea of having the distributed teams is to minimise the amount of out of hours stuff you'd have to do.

You can read the official job description and apply here: http://www.xero.com/about/careers/job/1447042/

Please PM me or email me at my username at hotmail.com if you do think about applying. We have a very generous referral bonus that I've already claimed on one Goon DBA (working in our Wellington office). And because this got asked a lot, the office is located in the Denver Tech Center at 4600 South Syracuse St.

Xero's been around for about 7 years now, we're a cool company that's had an amazing track record of success, and not showing any signs of slowing down yet. We had less than 200 employees when I started 2 years ago, and now we're over 600. Customers love our product, and they pay us monthly for it (none of this freemium poo poo). If you want to be part of the cloud based boom that's been happening of late, this is the place to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Hook me up, NY goons.

My experience: 5+ years in technical support and application support. In college I focused on networking (switch management, VLAN configuration, network troubleshooting). Jack-of-all trades work for a few years after that professionally, then moved on to application support (Oracle, MS SQL backend, Java front-end application support). My experience covers working for all sorts of small to medium businesses doing all types of software and hardware support, and recently has been more focuses on application support for large corporations.
What I'm looking for: An in-house position where I can provide technical/desktop/application support or Windows server administration.
What I'm NOT looking for: Travel, Helpdesk Tier 0/1.
Where I live: Central NJ.
Where I'm looking: A job in Manhattan or close to it in NJ, such as Jersey City or Hoboken.
When I can start: I would like to give 2 weeks notice at my current employer, but anytime after mid-January would be preferred.
Requirements: Health, dental, 401k.
Can be reached via: PM