Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

gently caress YOU I'M A TRUCK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Shai-Hulud posted:

Concerning my BSODs. Theres some CPU fuckery going on. If i restrict the game to just one CPU Core it seems to be a lot more stable. This seems to help other people with similar problems as well. Performance goes to poo poo though :/

Try checking your cpu voltage in the bios.

My MA785GT defaulted to 1.4V instead of a more stable 1.35V.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

Largepotato posted:

Try checking your cpu voltage in the bios.

My MA785GT defaulted to 1.4V instead of a more stable 1.35V.

I tried that. Put it up by 0.25V. Didn't work. I might do some tests later if i can get it running with two cores. Maybe that'll work.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Playing around with some mods. Raging is possible.

http://twitch.tv/kilonum2

Done.

Here, have a purdy screenshot!

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 17, 2013

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah I forgot to post the second part of my video :newlol:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH2lNVbmv98

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Here, have a trailer mod I found

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
So i got it running at last. Switching to OpenGL, reducing the number of CPU cores the game can use and increasing the VCore Voltage by 0,5v seemed to do the trick. This is about the most effort i had to put into running a single game for a long time. I guess the next step would have been to modify my autoexec.bat to load the game using HIMEM ffs...

Anyway. I had a friend over on saturday who was mocking me for playing a virtual truck driving game and was talking about how he would never play a game like that.
I convinced him to gave it a try.
An hour later we were dusting of my Driving Force GT to improve our truck driving. Five hours later he was still trucking through europe...this game does weird stuff to people...

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
It's your computer, man. Games don't cause BSOD's since Windows 98.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!
Anyone got any experience with how this would run on a mobile i3 and HD4000?

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Well i know gameS dont cause BSODs. Right now its just one game. Just ETS2.
I can run every benchmark, burnin tool, game and other software without crashes. I never had any problem with stability on this computer. I've never even seen a BSOD before on Windows 8 and im running it since release.
There are also a couple people on the steam community with similar problems. Not a lot though. It seems to be pretty rare.
Im not ruling out a hardware defect but you have to admit thats its pretty weird that only this one game causes this defect to show itself.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

My sims are colliding :ohdear:

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Kilonum posted:

My sims are colliding :ohdear:

Is that a Pilatus PC-12? All that's missing now is a train freight yard to ship this to and I'd have all three of my sims covered.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Yeah, it's in the trailer mod I linked a few posts up.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
Speaking of that trailer mod, are half of the trailers supposed to be in Greek? Not that I'm complaining because it's cool that I am now hauling 30 different types of farming equipment but it would be nice to know what the gently caress they are called!

I'm also glad it worked with the trailer skin mod I had installed. The game wouldn't let me uninstall it on the save I was using.

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Shai-Hulud posted:

I can run every benchmark, burnin tool, game and other software without crashes. I never had any problem with stability on this computer. I've never even seen a BSOD before on Windows 8 and im running it since release.
There are also a couple people on the steam community with similar problems. Not a lot though. It seems to be pretty rare.
Im not ruling out a hardware defect but you have to admit thats its pretty weird that only this one game causes this defect to show itself.

It's your hardware.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

MyFaceBeHi posted:

Speaking of that trailer mod, are half of the trailers supposed to be in Greek? Not that I'm complaining because it's cool that I am now hauling 30 different types of farming equipment but it would be nice to know what the gently caress they are called!

I'm also glad it worked with the trailer skin mod I had installed. The game wouldn't let me uninstall it on the save I was using.

Russian. I tried to make a translation and broke it.

also, waiting for a red light to make a left turn while hauling 25t of rice from Greece to France

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Shai-Hulud posted:

You don't happen to be using a PlayStation to USB or the like adapter are you? I.had one that would bake my pc randomly.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I have unmodded FH16 with base engine that has more than 500 HP yet other trucks accelerate faster than I do. I also cannot cross 90 speed limit despite pressing the retarder button. I'm only level 5, is removing retarder in some later truck upgrade?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

alex314 posted:

I have unmodded FH16 with base engine that has more than 500 HP yet other trucks accelerate faster than I do. I also cannot cross 90 speed limit despite pressing the retarder button. I'm only level 5, is removing retarder in some later truck upgrade?

You're only meant to activate the retarder when slowing down.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Largepotato posted:

You're only meant to activate the retarder when slowing down.

So how can I fly at 150 through winding roads? Only mods?

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

alex314 posted:

Turn off the speed limiter in the options menu.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

alex314 posted:

Look in your options. There should be a checkbox to remove the speed governor.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Also the retarder won't do anything for you (like using it to slow down) unless you buy the upgraded transmission with the -R suffix. Until then, your truck doesn't even have one.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
This is one of those games/programs I could easily vegetate out all day on if I didn't have other responsibilities.

My main problem is backing up the trailer properly. That takes me a long time and is mostly just luck when I do manage. Is there a guide or something for that? Shame my dad died 5 years ago, he owned a trucking company about 15 years ago and I'd like to think we could have bonded over this game. :)

Also I'm always perpetually in debt because I like driving fast and end up with 80 percent damage by the end of haul. My own fault because I can't be patient and must pass on 2 lane roads or go 90 and lose control on the highway.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
I learned to back up a trailer from watching hours on hours of Canada's Worst Driver, but here are some general tips (maybe I'll make a video at some point)

- Take it slow! If you've decided to back in a trailer instead of zipping a the icon at 90 km/h while mashing enter, you're already going to have to stop and turn around, there's no rush and no reason not to take it slowly

- Take it easy. Jack-knifing your trailer sucks, so make small adjustments, especially until you are comfortable backing up.

- When in doubt, straighten out. Going forward a little bit can help you get your bearings again if you're not sure where your truck is going.

- Use your mirrors! You are a cyborg driving a truck, so you can stare out the window and look at your passenger-side mirror at the same time, abuse this to get a better sense of where your trailer is.

- Where you turn is the direction your trailer goes. Turning left will make your trailer go left. Turning right will make it go right. but it is not 1-1 like with the cab.

- Don't be afraid to look down at your front wheels to see where they're pointed. Your wheels move your cab, then the cab moves the trailer. Jamming the wheel right or left will move the cab far more than the trailer, which is useful for when you need to do a severe correction.

That's all I can think of now, I hope it helps at least a little. Reversing a trailer is tricky but once you pick up on it it's not too bad.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Captain Novolin posted:

- Where you turn is the direction your trailer goes. Turning left will make your trailer go left. Turning right will make it go right. but it is not 1-1 like with the cab.

For me, this was the best advice for backing up a trailer. I usually have the camera leaning out the driver's window to see the trailer swing left/right when I turn left/right.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
The trailer will continue to go back and to whatever direction it was going while you back up to change directions. You'll have to start flipping before the trailer gets where you want it or you'll overshoot while trying to adjust for your next move.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

I'm not sure what this thing is but I am hauling it.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Looks like building or bridge framework that's secured in the dumbest way possible.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Roar posted:

Looks like building or bridge framework that's secured in the dumbest way possible.

It looks more like part of some large conveyor system, like for a silo or quarry.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
Aw, tired little truck decided to take a nap in a soft cushy spot.

Howard Beale fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Nov 21, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Howard Beale posted:

That's the truck equivalent to waking up with a hangover, naked and in a ditch by the motorway, yes?

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012

Howard Beale posted:

Poor little guy doesn't even have a trailer to keep him warm.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

What's the best combo engine/transmission using the Volvo FH16 and Kilonum's mod? I am an idiot and know nothing about cars, and I paired up the most expensive engine and transmission and can only go 50km/h now.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Use anything that is 12 speeds or less (named one is a 12 speed with retarder)

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Kilonum posted:

Use anything that is 12 speeds or less (named one is a 12 speed with retarder)

Thanks man!

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

This game has got me wanting a good racing wheel and TrackIR. What's a good racing wheel to use for this game?

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Cowman posted:

This game has got me wanting a good racing wheel and TrackIR. What's a good racing wheel to use for this game?

Unless you want a clutch pedal, a Driving Force GT is a great entry wheel.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

I know they're working on it, and I really appreciate them going to the trouble and all, but come on release the mac version already. Seeing how pretty and huge the map is in ETS2 is killing me, the furst one is peanuts by conparison. I can't even use Wine to package it because it's a Steam game :saddowns:

I'm halfway to having beaten Euro Truck 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

OMGVBFLOL posted:

I know they're working on it, and I really appreciate them going to the trouble and all, but come on release the mac version already. Seeing how pretty and huge the map is in ETS2 is killing me, the furst one is peanuts by conparison. I can't even use Wine to package it because it's a Steam game :saddowns:

I'm halfway to having beaten Euro Truck 1.

If you want to do the extra work, Steam runs fine in Wine.

• Locked thread