Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.
That better be Bill Paxton Pinball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
Just got done trying the new update. So this is where they were going with post processing, it actually looks pretty good. CBW is a fun table, it has some fun gimmicks.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Fish flying around? That's a mighty tall Tale.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

LED Grand Lizard
Orbitor 1
Whole lot of EMs

They had a pretty good selection, even of trash 80s Gottliebs like Hollywood Heat. There were lots of LEDed games including a Xenon with blue and red trailing lights on the infinity mirror.

And just before I left someone set up the single most 1990s thing I have ever seen: Color LED RollerGames.

My god it is beautiful. The volume was really cranked up. Everyone got a kick out of the ridiculousness.

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Nov 23, 2013

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

... or the licensed table Twister?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

roffels posted:

Is not bright pink with random shapes and plastic cantilevers everywhere.

E: oh thought you were talking to me re: most 90s thing

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 23, 2013

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

It's only one table for the next table pack, so it's likely a licensed table.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
As easy and cheap as it'd be to get the rights to the Twister game, I think it's going to be this: http://pinside.com/pinball/archive/pool-sharks/gallery

Just guessing based on the fact that it's "Pin-nado", with a screencap from Sharknado, and it'd be a nice continuation of the pool theme started with Cue Ball Wizard in the previous pack. Or it could also be some other shark-themed pinball game.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I was talking poo poo about Pinball FX2 the other day, and the physics are still weird, but turning off the challenge scores and the popups for target scores has made the game a lot more understandable- there's just so much less stuff cluttering the screen. Plus, the Blade table owns.

Edit:

Does TPA change the free table monthly? So like, next month, Steam users will have a different table than TOTAN?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Anonymous Robot posted:

I was talking poo poo about Pinball FX2 the other day, and the physics are still weird, but turning off the challenge scores and the popups for target scores has made the game a lot more understandable- there's just so much less stuff cluttering the screen. Plus, the Blade table owns.

Edit:

Does TPA change the free table monthly? So like, next month, Steam users will have a different table than TOTAN?

The new ios update is out. Champion Pub is now free and Cue ball Wizard is really interesting.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Uh, so I think the new update broke tables with more than two flippers. I tried playing Genie and El Dorado and only the bottom two flippers worked on either table.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

Nope, TOTAN is always free. There's just a rotating "Table of the Month" that you can play for free until the next Table Pack is released. Last month's TotM was Scared Stiff.

Lester Shy posted:

Uh, so I think the new update broke tables with more than two flippers. I tried playing Genie and El Dorado and only the bottom two flippers worked on either table.

Did you try turning off Dual-Stage Flippers in the table settings?

Do not even ask fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Nov 23, 2013

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Lester Shy posted:

Turn off two-stage flippers.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Do not even ask posted:

Nope, TOTAN is always free. There's just a rotating "Table of the Month" that you can play for free until the next Table Pack is released. Last month's TotM was Scared Stiff.

This doesn't seem to happen on PC, though?

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Eegah posted:

Turn off two-stage flippers.

Well I feel dumb. Seems kind of weird to turn that on by default after the update though.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Speaking of that I played some old Gottlieb that had three lower flippers. The two on the right were controlled by separate buttons. What the hell Gottlieb.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Is not bright pink with random shapes and plastic cantilevers everywhere.

E: oh thought you were talking to me re: most 90s thing

I was not.

But boy do I want to own a Rollergames. I just sold my Ninja Turtles pinball machine, and Rollergames is on my short list of wants and can afford. But I wouldn't want to give it up.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

King Vidiot posted:

As easy and cheap as it'd be to get the rights to the Twister game, I think it's going to be this: http://pinside.com/pinball/archive/pool-sharks/gallery

I hope not. It's an ok table, but nothing really special. I've played it a bit at a local BBQ place.

Authorman
Mar 5, 2007

slamcat

roffels posted:

If I were to guess a tornado-esque pinball I'd probably think of Cyclone first.

Sorry I misspelled that, I meant Motherfucking Cyclone.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

King Vidiot posted:

Goddamn, I got completely stiffed (heh) in Scared Stiff just a bit ago. I was still on ball one, was getting a shitton of extra balls, boned my first Stiff-o-Meter but then nailed it the second time and got the multi-ball. However, I noticed when my balls started draining that there was no indication that they were lost, no noise or anything. So on my final ball, the jackpots kept counting despite the fact that multiball should've been over. When the last ball drained... nothing. The game started going through ball search, the attendant couldn't help because the ball wasn't "stuck" it was drained. So I was having a really good run on the first ball, 44 million and then I lost all of it.

I even had the bottom half of the Spider Wheel filled :(

I've got that twice in Medieval Madness now. Both times I'd had absolute bombs of Multiball Madnesses with a faster stream of jackpots than what the voiceover can handle.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Yeah, I've had plenty of other physics glitches and general fuckery on PA tables too, like shooting a ball completely through the crate and into one of the Deadheads lanes in Scared Stiff, or having a ball pass through the flippers in Funhouse. I wouldn't be surprised to find that some of the highest table scores were from people who hosed the game up, either on purpose or accidentally.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

King Vidiot posted:

Yeah, I've had plenty of other physics glitches and general fuckery on PA tables too, like shooting a ball completely through the crate and into one of the Deadheads lanes in Scared Stiff, or having a ball pass through the flippers in Funhouse. I wouldn't be surprised to find that some of the highest table scores were from people who hosed the game up, either on purpose or accidentally.

The highest scores are all mobile scores with externally fudged stuff. I don't think there's any table bugs for massive scoring you can do or I would have heard of it. Early versions of haunted house had something where a switch somewhere kept firing off constantly, but that never made it to PC and has been fixed as far as I know. TotAN has the harem multiball stuff but that's in the actual table rom and works on real tables so it's a table feature at this point.

e: As in the guy with 350 billion on whirlwind and such. You can't get there even with table bugs. It's some sort of registry messing or whatever the mobiles do gently caress mobiles.

Nurge fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 23, 2013

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Some tables do have poo poo you can exploit, and there are occasional platform-specific bugs.

For example, I still have the #7 or 8 score on Centaur at 35M or so, solely by hitting the Queen's Chamber. It's easy to hit, it feeds back to the left flipper, you get an EB after six hits or so and it's probably the largest scoring feature on the table. No cheating, just an easy to exploit shot.

Scared Stiff has a longstanding bug on the iPad 3 where the kickout under the crate repeatedly shoots the ball up into the deadheads, which repeats the process. Good for several million free points and maybe an extra ball or two per game, though it's not an end-all-be-all. My high score is on the Steam version despite milking the deadheads on my iPad.

Then there's tables with EBs that some folks are able to get easily -- Bride of PinBot and Black Hole come to mind. Victory too but I tend to gently caress that shot up a lot and drain more than I gain.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Eegah posted:

Some tables do have poo poo you can exploit, and there are occasional platform-specific bugs.

For example, I still have the #7 or 8 score on Centaur at 35M or so, solely by hitting the Queen's Chamber. It's easy to hit, it feeds back to the left flipper, you get an EB after six hits or so and it's probably the largest scoring feature on the table. No cheating, just an easy to exploit shot.

Scared Stiff has a longstanding bug on the iPad 3 where the kickout under the crate repeatedly shoots the ball up into the deadheads, which repeats the process. Good for several million free points and maybe an extra ball or two per game, though it's not an end-all-be-all. My high score is on the Steam version despite milking the deadheads on my iPad.

Then there's tables with EBs that some folks are able to get easily -- Bride of PinBot and Black Hole come to mind. Victory too but I tend to gently caress that shot up a lot and drain more than I gain.

Sure but those are all normal features of the tables. Not the scared stiff one necessarily but the others. I mean if you're going for high scores on almost any table you're going to be mainly shooting one shot over and over, even on real machines. Playing for progression and fun is rarely directly tied to the best scoring on the table.

also re: Centaur, the chamber shot is definitely nothing like safe after some testing of that strategy. I guess you can do it in multiball, but still. What platform was that on?

Nurge fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Nov 23, 2013

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
I haven't encountered anything terrible score exploits in PA but I did stumble across this one on Williams Collection:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU759Cglkgo

Tasteful Bulge
Sep 5, 2003

It's down to you and me, you one-eyed freak.
I'm about to head to Southern Pinball Festival if anyone wants to hang out. I'm the fat dude wearing jeans, a plain, dark grey shirt, and I'll probably have a red flannel on me somewhere too.

Nurge
Feb 4, 2009

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Tasteful Bulge posted:

I'm about to head to Southern Pinball Festival if anyone wants to hang out. I'm the fat dude wearing jeans, a plain, dark grey shirt, and I'll probably have a red flannel on me somewhere too.

And a tasteful bulge?

chesh
Apr 19, 2004

That was terrible.
Live streaming of the seminars from Southern Pinball Festival: http://www.twitch.tv/papatvpinball

Mark and Bowen are going to live play Star Trek around 3PM Eastern

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.
Theory: if they ever get the rights to The Who's Tommy, the teaser image for it will be a black jpeg.

Same Great Paste
Jan 14, 2006

iOS update fixed the menus and buttons for the iPad air.

Having come from the ps3 version, seeing a problem get addressed is a tremendous novelty. Go Farsight.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Same Great Paste posted:

iOS update fixed the menus and buttons for the iPad air.

Having come from the ps3 version, seeing a problem get addressed is a tremendous novelty. Go Farsight.

Hey fixed it on the Mini too. Didn't even notice until you mentioned it lol

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Did the Steam update cause Pinball Arcade to run like poo poo for anyone else? Pre update I was getting great performance with all settings maxed, but I had to turn off post-processing afterwards to make it even playable. There's also a new setting in configuration for "focus sensitive input" and I have no idea what it means.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

DrNutt posted:

Did the Steam update cause Pinball Arcade to run like poo poo for anyone else? Pre update I was getting great performance with all settings maxed, but I had to turn off post-processing afterwards to make it even playable. There's also a new setting in configuration for "focus sensitive input" and I have no idea what it means.

It runs fine for me, but now it's slightly blurry. I guess that was their fix for post processing. :geno:

"Focus sensitive input" means the game can retain control of your inputs even if you leave the window. I don't know why you'd ever want that, but I guess there's times when it might make sense.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

The game runs and looks better for me now than it did before the update, and with post-processing on before the update the game looked like low-res, smeary poo poo. Now it looks really smooth, the anti-aliasing works with post-processing on, and the analog nudging has made the game a lot more fun to play.

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

King Vidiot posted:

The game runs and looks better for me now than it did before the update, and with post-processing on before the update the game looked like low-res, smeary poo poo. Now it looks really smooth, the anti-aliasing works with post-processing on, and the analog nudging has made the game a lot more fun to play.

Are you on AMD or nvidia? It sounds like the post-processing issue might have just switched sides. I'm on nivida and it looked fine before, now it's blurry as hell.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

sethsez posted:

It runs fine for me, but now it's slightly blurry. I guess that was their fix for post processing. :geno:

"Focus sensitive input" means the game can retain control of your inputs even if you leave the window. I don't know why you'd ever want that, but I guess there's times when it might make sense.

I play on a 2nd monitor in fullscreen windowed and on a controller. I mapped all the keyboard buttons to a key I'll never hit and now I can play and freely do something on another monitor and go back and forth. I really like this, Sleeping Dogs also had this just for controllers and I thought it was really cool.

It's less useful for an active game like pinball, but I can respond to someone quickly between balls or whatever without thinking about it or losing focus.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

sethsez posted:

Are you on AMD or nvidia? It sounds like the post-processing issue might have just switched sides. I'm on nivida and it looked fine before, now it's blurry as hell.

I'm not saying it's not blurry, but before it was all lovely and pixellated (this being with post-processing on) and now it's sharp but there's like a vaseline-lens haze over everything. Personally I don't mind it, I think it looks kind of cool. It's definitely better than what post-processing was like before the patch.

edit: Also, when they added the focus-sensitive thing, I had it on before and the game still unpaused once when I hit the enter key out-of-game. It never happened since, but I still lost a ball over it.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 24, 2013

Yay Pudding!
Mar 26, 2010

Frrrrrrunkis
gently caress! I just doubled my high score on the first ball on Medieval Madness, and lost the second 2 balls almost as fast as possible. Losing that first one just threw my momentum in the toilet.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

iOS update seems to have cleared my high scores and goals. Again. :suicide: Think I'm just going to turn off autoupdate and hold off until they release another table I might actually care about (if ever).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

sethsez posted:

Multimonitor and alt tabbing I guess - I sometimes run Pinball arcade on my 2nd display (my TV) and could see this being useful for switching between apps.

Edit - sorry, I see someone above said the same thing.