Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
We've got our new Monday American line battle for NW starting in around ten minutes. Get in goons if you want to play.

ExParrot posted:

ExParrot posted:

For those asked, here are some small changes for your enhancement mods:

Enhanced blood only (vanilla smoke)

Vanilla spyglass UI

Yay! :D

Boogoose's Immaculate Spyglass for Gentlemen (Enhanced spyglass without scratches)

Just dump those in your NW folder as you did with the mod and replace the files...

These are a must now for Parrots mod, we did a line infantry only event just now and it was pretty hard to see. Looking forward to the next update though Parrot!

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

In 30 minutes time we've got our EU Siege event happening. So get into the Mumble soon if you can play goons.

Also, we might need another active goon to dropbox stuff for us. Our usual guy seems to have gone missing.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Siege Event in ten nerds. Get the gently caress in.

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

GIMME GIMME GIMME, DON'T ASK WHAT FOR
Is this an american event tonight? Steam isn't working right now so I can't check

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Drunk & Ugly posted:

Is this an american event tonight? Steam isn't working right now so I can't check

Nope, it is tomorrow.

Also, some news about the Monday event. The guys behind it for some reason really weren't thrilled with the results and have changed the event to Wednesday. So chances are we are going to have to put up with the KPR if we want to do a Monday Line Battle event since they are the only group doing such an event.

What does this mean? It means we can't be sloppy with it. Messing around leaving the line and shooting willy nilly will get us in trouble and annoy the poo poo out of me as I am responsible for your actions during this event. If you guys want me to get this event we've got to be slightly serious and try not and piss anyone off. Important people or otherwise.

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

If youre referring to messin' around at the beginning I think everyone seems to do that

Otherwise, yeah, whats the point in playing line battles if you don't want to stand in a line. It's in the name

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Even messing around the set up causes problems. To some us it seems pointless and fun to run around shooting at pubbies and standing in their lines but they are doing their own thing and to them it seems aggressive. They then complain to the Admin who is trying to set up a line battle of almost 200 people using terribly designed tools which they can't see because a massive paragraph of red goons killing other goons is obscuring the screen.

I've been in both positions for quite a long time. Not asking we do nothing because you get bored, but since we need some new people to lead/some goons to get used to leading how about we maybe use the time practically at least once? better than getting kicked out of the only event we can get on Monday for a rapidly shrinking community of a needless expensive DLC for a old game.

But yeah guys, I know it seems funny at the time but it sort of fucks us in the long term. We got to play ball because the other sporting fields are getting closed down.

Also, I promised to post some pictures of the American Army in this era so here have some:

Basically, Napoleonic American soldiers had the style of the British and the symbolic Liberal colours of the French.

Also, for those who are confused about the ballistics of the game a developer explains shooting dudes a bit more and how it works!

quote:

There is bullet drop, but due to the high velocity of the bullets, it is almost not noticeable. Why cant you hit people that are far away, with a pistol? Simple. Pistols have much lower velocity and therefore their bullets actually drop much faster. Bullet drop is heavy on pistols, but almost not noticeable on Muskets (Except for very long ranges.)

Remember that when shooting a musket, the bullet will not go straight, but go randomly, into any direction. That is the reason why the aiming reticule is so large. When shooting, the bullet will go somewhere in that reticule.

The reason why you think that bullet drop is so heavy, is that a lot of times, the bullets do not go straight and do not go up, but downwards, decreasing your range alot. Aiming Up does not help here, because it can also be that the next shot goes up, shooting much further than you expected. Aiming anywhere close to the enemy can still hit him (Especially on long ranges, as the randomess plays a much larger role here), if you're lucky.

Therefore it is always best to aim straight at your enemy. Shooting with a Musket is just pure luck, nothing else.

Also, a little hint. Aiming 2 seconds with your musket will make aim steadier, and the bullet is more likely to be shooting into the direction of the center of the reticule.
Another hint... Warbands random function is not very good. Most of the time you will end up with the exact, or almost exact values.
So if you know that your bullet just flew low, try to aim abit higher. If you are a little bit lucky, Warbands random function might have chosen the same value again.
That is also the reason why you get the same bush/rock/tree over and over again, when making maps. Warbands random function selects the same value again and again and again.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 20, 2013

Pantaloons L'Fragrant
May 1, 2000

Yuss the re-proliferation and et cetera.
Hi so I had some issues with the new spyglass texture in the enhancement pack that even Boogoose's Immaculate Spyglass for Gentlemen couldn't solve, so I hereby present Dr. Phineas J. Ampleforth's Spyglass Replacement Texture.

For comparison, here is the original (non-enhanced) spyglass:

Dr. Phineas J. Ampleforth's Spyglass Replacement Texture

Download.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Yo goons, we got an American NW Siege event in 40 minutes time. Got us cannons for one map, general line infantry for another. So we get to blow and and attack fort walls tonight.

Also, since the 22-i aren't interested in keeping up a pretty good event and getting numbers and we got a good turn out I'm biting the bullet and we're going to the KPR Monday event instead. Here is the rules for said event since he has no thread. Read them dammit.

quote:

NW Rules
Your participation in this line battle is a priviledge not a right. That continued priviledge is determined by the good conduct of your unit and the observance of our rules. You may be removed at anytime for cause!

Current Admins of the event: 8PM EST to start come to TS anytime after 7PM EST to get info
Kolakhan
Hells Ticket
Sparhawk
Vinze
Griff
Nalani

Misc. Rules:
- time limit per round is 20 min
- 1 sapper per arty regiment is allowed.
- No musketoons
- No trolling (aka; teamkilling, teamwounding, kicking, obstructing artillery, etc.)
- If an Admin asks a question only Regiment leaders should respond.
- profane or abusive language, taunting, spamming, racial or ethnic slurs in chat will not be tolerated
- No ramboing please!
- If your unit gets down to 2 men you must join another unit and you may act like whatever unit you joined.
- The exception is artillerists which may continue to operate until they all die.
- If any unit is attacked regardless of its numbers it may defend itself including firing.
- If a Regiment LEADER has an issue with something or someone during the Linebattle, please contact one of the KPR admins. Do not take unilateral action.
- Musicians, Banners and Officers do not count against unit totals. Limit 1 of each per unit.
- If you are line inf do not take foot guards they are assigned unit type.
- small units may be granted permission to go skirmishers in addition to the normal 1 unit of skirmishers typically allowed per the descretion of the Admin
- When charging remain within proxity of your unit, 5 spaces to the next closest man, if I see someone taking a wide path (I have seen 20-40 paces) they will be considered a rambo
- NO CHEATING! (that covers everything I didn't write into the rules that you might try and take advantage of!!!)

Line Infantry (Min 6, Max 25): use line inf type reg NOT Gren/Guard
- 3 men make a line, You may fire when in a line formation and static.
- Allowed 1/2 man spacing, You may not crouch while firing or reloading.
- May form double ranks if you choose.
- May crouch when not in combat.
- Must move out in a line!

Light Infantry (Min 6, Max 15):
- Allowed to use Bayonet or Cav musket if you please.
- May use 2 man spacing and may fire when in a staggered(not perfect), static line.
- Can take cover behind rocks/trees while observing spacing
- Must move out in a line!

Rifles (Min 6, Max 12):
- Are only allowed to spawn rifles, but can pick up a musket later if they want.
- May use 5 man spacing and may fire when in a static state as long as they are a maximum of 5 spaces away from their closest next unit member. May not separate into more than one unit.
- Do not not have to be in a line to fire and can take cover behind rocks/trees while observing proper spacing.
- May move out in a “blob” formation.

Cavalry (Min 6, Max 15):
- Must stay together while moving out.
- Dragoons are allowed to fire while on horseback while static and grouped together, maximum spacing 2 horses.
- Must ride together, must charge together.
- Dismounted Dragoons act as Lt Inf

Artillery (Min 6, Max 15, ArtyGs count):
- Max of 2 guns! (Cannon, Howziter or a mix)
- Arty Guards are considered Light Infantry when away from their guns and act as such.
- No more than 15 spaces from the guns when with their guns and can act individually.

All:
All units armed with firearms may fire once on the charge and thereafter during close combat if you as an individual are not engaged in melee you may reload and continue to fire. "On the charge" MEANS there must be the full intent and execution of melee as a result of the charge. Cav "drive bys" are prohibited! During close combat units that do fire do not have to observe unit spacing rules. Close combat is defined as two or more units having at least a man engaged in melee combat. A unit may choose to break their charge, REFORM INTO THEIR STANDARD FORMATION, and continue to perform as normal.

Got that? you goons gently caress up it is my fault remember that.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

SIEGE in 13 minutes. We got :killdozer:ARTY:killdozer: for one map and line infantry for the other.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

This map may be slightly buggy.

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

There was a moment where 10 dudes from USMC jumped over the wall directly in front of my cannon in a simultaneous attack but apparently they had two men in lead who crossed the bridge first. The bridge supposedly being guarded. I got stabbed as I was about to pull the trigger on all of them with grape, the very moment :negative:
Ultimate blue cannon balls man

I also followed a squad at spawn to stay true to rules UNTIL the entire crew ran like lemmings directly into a very deep river where they lost all their ammo

Our allies blow? And our enemies are bronies. God help us

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Bad allied sappers and arty just make me so mad. I can handle that kind of thing during random pub games but even in line battles the barest level of situational awareness is apparently advanced level play.

Pantaloons L'Fragrant
May 1, 2000

Yuss the re-proliferation and et cetera.
Here's the weird bug I had last night.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tUy_lGuxiU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Think that was some weird collision bug with the artillery and player hitboxes. Never seen anything like the tower mapping wise and now we know why.

Anyway goons we have two line battles tonight in both time zones. In 57 minutes time from this post we have our new Friday evening EU line battle and later we'll have our popular Friday American event for NW. Come play if you feel the need and have the time.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

We got ourselves a :ducksiren: new EU line battle :ducksiren: in 15 minutes so get in the Mumble if you're interested.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Hey it is starting in ten minutes. It looks like a pretty good EU line battle so lets give it a chance.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Our Friday American NW event is happening in around 25 minutes time. Will we get cav? rifles? or line? what a mystery! come and join on the fun and find out!

nohitcharlie
Sep 7, 2011

Soldaten bereiten zu dieser Phantasie Vogel schieben!
Line Battle in less than 10 minutes. Get in now.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
:getin:

loving goons.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I got us Rifles. Get on in.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Always fun when an entire enemy line is chasing your rear end down.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

In a couple of hours time we're going deep with our usual Bello Civili Roman Era mod shield battle event and now it is time to settle things once and for all with the whole banner issue with the S*P*R*G tag issue.

The theme is birds. Birds in general. So basically grab any of the following 4:

Also, download said mod here and stick it in your Warband module folder if you want to come and try it out with us tonight. Event at 6PM EST/11PM Brit time Midnight EU time.

nohitcharlie
Sep 7, 2011

8 minutes before Bello Civili battle. Where is everybody? Get in here.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Javelin chat, the final javelin.

Light javelins are useless. They are not easier to aim, they fly further. They do less damage. They still have the musket-like random deviation. A heavy javelin flies substantially less far and has to be aimed more in the sky to throw at a distance, however does fat damage and can kill a opponent as well as shred their shield. Throw a heavy javelin as you close and switch out, do not throw from a distance. This mitigates the randomness of the volley and makes it actually effective.

But.

Javelins kinda suck and are a minor bonus, not a do or die thing. You see maybe four javelin kills in a entire battle.

Shields are nice. They let you automatically block and thwart ranged arms. However, current rules and numbers mean that the only ranged fire are javelins. In addition, shields are relatively slow to bring up and down; assuming their class's weapon proficiency is decent (Which for the most part they are) a person can just keep swinging at you and you can't do to much about it.

Using a shield less means you block with your weapon, something you're already actually used to. Mount and blade is literally coded so if you attack immediately after a block (A rather tight timing) then you will hit the person before they even block, guaranteeing a hit. (I forget the details of this.) So you block faster and can keep fighting. Javelins from afar are to random to really worry about, so it's only a javelin directly in your face that's concerning. However, someone throwing a javelin will absolutely tank their speed, meaning you'll always catch up to them. In addition, switching weapons also tanks their speed and makes them "useless" for a second or so, meaning that someone using a javelin into a charge (Your's or there's) is actually rather dangerous. Blocking with a shield means you go just as slow, so just dodge and let fate guide you! Stab that fucker while he is helpless and I assure that even you goons can get him.

Stop worrying about javelins. Rub faces with a guy.

NW protip, to make it relevant: Block first, then attack up. People have trouble blocking up and if you block first then that usually messes up the unpracticed pubbies. It's what they do on us, after all.

TK Charlie at all opportunities.

Gently spite Nurdbot for fun and giggles.

Gamerofthegame fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Nov 24, 2013

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

In 50 minutes we've got our Sunday NW line battle. Roll out the cannon barrel, goons will be rocking as Russian Artillery tonight.

nohitcharlie
Sep 7, 2011

15 minutes. Get in.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Welp, we had some good times but I finally decided after tonight to shut down our own Sunday Line Battle. Long story short, I'm kind of burnt out and don't want to work my rear end off to get attendance plus I have other things like to do now both online and in real life.

It was pretty awesome though, ran that thing since Summer 2012 first on a goon funded server, then helped by the 38e.

This does mean though I can look into this N&S event that appears to be doing much better than the one I tried as a future sunday event!

SmashTheState
Oct 2, 2012
Rip sunday event :(

pod6isjerks
Feb 17, 2005

Nap Ghost
Well, it was fun not hitting things with you guys. I'm pretty sure I was following the wrong leader for half the match.
Then someone started kicking me which either means I was out of formation or I just looked especially kickable. :iiam:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'll miss being able to give goons artillery or cav and watching them wreck the opposing side, watching silly fun rounds and in enjoying the simple sight of an almost 200 man 19th century battlefield going on in birds eye view.

I won't miss the petty trolling, obnoxious admin panel that takes five minutes to navigate to ban somebody and the huge list of people on my friends list I don't know.

Oh well, tomorrow we got two events in both time zones. Read the rules for the KPR one above.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

humansuperior posted:

Well, it was fun not hitting things with you guys. I'm pretty sure I was following the wrong leader for half the match.
Then someone started kicking me which either means I was out of formation or I just looked especially kickable. :iiam:

Merely existing makes you look kickable to goons.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Also, congratulations Gimbno for your new custom title. Your bravery opening that gate house during that EU siege which the pubbies never exploited will not be forgotten.

Source image is from the creepy CSA models Hinkel is putting in his CryEngine sequel to N&S.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Gimnbo posted:

Merely existing makes you look kickable to goons.

I second this.

The other day when we were rifles, I went and found the guy who TK'd me pre-live and kicked him twice after we went live and then ran off.

It's rule 34 for goon NW. If it exists, you can kick it.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

SeanBeansShako posted:

Also, congratulations Gimbno for your new custom title. Your bravery opening that gate house during that EU siege which the pubbies never exploited will not be forgotten.

Source image is from the creepy CSA models Hinkel is putting in his CryEngine sequel to N&S.

Jesus Christ, I thought the avatar was touched up like the pics in the Rome II thread.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Nope, just the depressing Curse Of Hinkel.

EU line battle in 20 minutes time, if you can make it please show up. We also have our Monday American one at 8PM EST (read the KPR rules a few posts above for the love of god in advance).

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Line battle get in Mumble etc.

Drunk & Ugly
Feb 10, 2003

goon: "WHAT'S IN THE BOX"
Morgan Freeman: "uh theres cavalry behind us"
everyone is trampled and dies
~end scene~

Dead goons bringing shame to our flag

proof we don't die all the time, just most of the time:

As always it was a load of work and frustration that ended in short but worthwhile relief when I finally got to shoot a guy in the face. You heard it here first, MB: NW Line battles are much like masturbation. Was fun so thanks

ExParrot
May 6, 2013

Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?
Goons commence their jiggling antics while Nurdbot pretends that he doesn't notice what's going on:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

In 40 minutes time we're rolling in a much bigger Monday line battle for you American goons out there. If we behave well we're totally in for cavalry or rifles next week!

• Locked thread