Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Play four at the back and all I see is retarded fullbacks who never tackle and let any player waltz past them and score.

Play three at the back and all I see is cross after cross after cross from my wing backs that almost always turn out poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
For the third time this season we go into the last 10 minutes winning and lose. For the sixth time this season, which is 15 games old, we create enough clear cut chances to win at least a point but come away with nothing, losing 8 points from games where we made more CCCs than the scoreline suggests. We have won 2 points from the other way around. gently caress. This.

The game knows exactly how to raise my hopes and dash them.
'We'll probably lose here, they're much better than us'
3 mins - 'Holy poo poo, we scored! Ah well, that'll probably just make them angry'
21 mins - 'Yep, in goes the equaliser'
46 mins - 'Yes! Scored again! Maybe we could get a point here if we're lucky!'
80 mins - 'We're doing so well! We might even take all three points'
85 mins - 'Get in, we're well in control here, three points here we come'
88 mins - 'poo poo, they equalised, never mind, I'm happy with a point'
90 mins - 'OH gently caress OFF OF COURSE THEY SCORE CHEATING BASTARD AI'

Very next game a 2-1 famous victory in the cup becomes a 2-3 loss by full time. And we had the only clear cut chance. :shepicide:

For an idea of how poorly regarded my team are, my own rep has gone up in a period where we lost all our games because we didn't get humped too badly.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Nov 18, 2013

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Yeah this version is loving retarded. No matter what I do (and I've replayed the game maybe fifteen times so I can get to grips with the match engine) I can never even beat my reserve team convincingly.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

Hey, Walton, did you know your full backs have been playing badly? :v:

Yes. I know.

The highlight of the summer was that the team who sacked me while I had them in mid-table won two out of about fifteen games after I left and got relegated. I think I had some kind of schadenfreude orgasm. I loving knew I was doing well with them. 10 points from 14 games is pretty amazing for this lot despite my complaints but I don't like being relegated no matter what.

Get to 1-1 in a six-pointer at home and well on top and my keeper carries the ball out of the area. Not the momentum thing. He catches a high ball, stops and proceeds to walk slowly out of the area. And we lose. Bullshit. FM hates me and wants me to lose (or this version of the match engine is buggy as poo poo).

Right, the only club shitter than us next, need a win.
Managed to carve out the same amount of CCCs. Lost 4-1. :negative: I will add that the board are totally satisfied with this, the expectations are so low.

Tonight was fun :shepface:

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Nov 19, 2013

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
This game isn't worth playing until they release (at least) one more major patch.

aeverous
Nov 13, 2009
The last major patch did gently caress all. If anything it hosed up the Watford game I had going where I was walking the Championship, I ended up hitting the post/crossbar literally 6+ times a match while my opposition scored their 1 or 2 chances and won.

Also I'm having bizarre sendings off as of the last patch. I've got my mans set to the opposite of a hard tackling game and it looks loving silly in the match engine. This version is really showing the game up for being an arbitrary puzzle instead of the footy simulation it seems like at its best.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Is there a good dark skin yet?

vvv Wow... mods???

Luigi Thirty fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Nov 19, 2013

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Luigi Thirty posted:

can't go wrong with Sturridge imo

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

vvv Wow... mods???

Yep, there is one on the steam workshop.

euroboy
Mar 24, 2004

Finished my second season in norway and after finishing 3rd (10 points or so from winning the league) I decided to leave the club. I had promised all my best players that they would be allowed to leave, I have basically no money to replace them (as I've written earlier, players values are hosed up in this game) and I don't want to start all over again.

So I hatched up a master plan. I took the manager job at Viking, a slightly bigger club in norway with a lot more money, and I signed no less than six of my best players from my previous club. I barely had to pay anything for them because the transfer system is broken. Not that I'm complaining this time around though...

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I am *winning* *everything*

Sold Ki, bought Ramsey (£47k/week thanks to relegation clauses and sell on percentages his agent's retarded), 17 year old 5 (silver) star right back scored 1 assisted 1 on his debut.

Mauro Icardi is sick.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

1-0 up at half time with my horrible team who are notorious for letting leads slip, 'don't get complacent!', I tell them.

7 players seem confused and demotivated. It's a reasonable request!

Anyway, we won 2-1, which I am delighted with. Barring a result for Solletuna who are bottom in the next match, we will avoid automatic relegation if we beat Gute, who are third bottom, at home, which I really think we can do. It would be absurd if we stayed up.

e: Lost 6-3 and we are down. Could have won but my loving DM hacked their winger down early on with the score at 1-1. They went 3-1 up, we pulled it back to 3-3 and had to go for it but they picked us off on the counter for their fourth and our keeper was embarrassed from range for the last two. Probably would have kept my job if there were a league loaded below the one we're in but that's an automatic sacking.

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 20, 2013

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

Brace yourselves. Squeaky Bum Time is coming.

gently caress.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

gently caress's sake, I can't figure this version out tactically at all. I've never been brilliant at tactics but if I made a change on FM12, I could see it reflected on the pitch, even if more often than not, what I did wasn't as clever as I thought it was. On FM14, I feel like I'm mashing buttons in the hope that my team will magically play better. Any changes I thought I'd made turned out to be random chance/confirmation bias over a few matches.

I said I wouldn't but I'm downloading a tactic because unlike FM12, I'm getting no joy from the tactical portion of the game. Well, maybe not on reflection, because then I wouldn't really be playing the game :downs:

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Nov 21, 2013

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Starting to regret pre-ordering this.

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008

Walton Simons posted:

gently caress's sake, I can't figure this version out tactically at all. I've never been brilliant at tactics but if I made a change on FM12, I could see it reflected on the pitch, even if more often than not, what I did wasn't as clever as I thought it was. On FM14, I feel like I'm mashing buttons in the hope that my team will magically play better. Any changes I thought I'd made turned out to be random chance/confirmation bias over a few matches.

I said I wouldn't but I'm downloading a tactic because unlike FM12, I'm getting no joy from the tactical portion of the game. Well, maybe not on reflection, because then I wouldn't really be playing the game :downs:
Yeah, i'd have no problem (well, I would, but I wouldn't complain) if it was just difficult to follow how tactics setting worked in 14. But changes seem to have zero recognisable impact at all. The only real trend that seems to exist is that changing your formation - no matter what to or from - seems to help. I've been testing that with reloading the same match repeatedly, and it's very possible to get better results than a reasonable tactic you used last match with some terrible formation with massive holes in, as long as it's different.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I've gone for a bog-standard 4-1-2-2-1, rigid, standard, no shouts and we are mashing our opposition. First goal was them pissing about on the edge of our box, getting tackled, we hoof it, big lad runs onto it and scores :getin:

I don't know whether this is progress or that thing you said because we're 7/1 to win the game but the pre-match build up says we'll win easily :psyduck:

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Babby Thatcher posted:

Wales is the lowest playable national league in terms of UEFA coefficients (i.e the hardest to take a team and make them a European power) but iirc only has one playable division. Northern Ireland is just barely 'better' and lets you manage lower league sides who are obviously lower rep again.

Wales is brutal because of the gap between top and bottom teams being huge, your reputation is so low you can't get decent free agents, and from memory even if you do qualify for a euro qualifier (in the first round) then you STILL don't have the money to sign players to qualify.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
I'm going to nickname one of our players on Loan (Jordan Lussey) "Sicknote" because he spends more time on the training table than he does actually playing.

These are the injuries he's suffered (all in matches, requiring substitution) in 2015-16

10/20 dead leg (5 days)
10/31 twisted knee (3 weeks)
11/28 Groin strain (3 weeks)
1/23/16 Bruised shin (8 days)
4/8 Broken Toe (2-3 months)

Add a couple games he had to be substituted after taking a knock.. ridonkulous.

Great talent, but fragile as gently caress.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
There's a great narrative happening in my game right now between me and Jose Mourinho. After finishing 2nd behind Chelsea for two years in a row, I'm currently sat in 2nd again, 2 points behind with just a handful of games left.

The way results are going, the only way I can realistically overtake him is to beat his unbeaten Chelsea side at Stamford Bridge on the last day of the season. While my side have scored the most goals in the league, his side have conceded the least, and he can sit back on the best defence in the league knowing I have to really go for it and a single goal conceded would screw me completely.

It's legitimately exciting and completely justifies me pushing through and figuring out a tactic instead of throwing my hands up and going back to FM12.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

I don't understand why my tactic is working so well, it's amazing after all the lovely thought-out things I tried. It's a wide 4-1-2-2-1 with no shouts and it we're just out-competenting everyone at the moment.

Football Manager 2014: Less of the fancy poo poo

Walton Simons fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Nov 23, 2013

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010
I don't know if this is because I'm playing with Gateshead in the Skrill Premier but the amount of times a player (mine or CPU) cuts in to the box, gets past the 6 yard line, shoots across the face of goal, wide of the far post...

then the keeper dives out to save it, and punches it into the goal... it's so improbable even at such a poor level that the keeper would punch it the opposite way to his dive i'm not sure what's going on...

Hopefully it stops as I get to play with better keepers

Botswana!
Oct 12, 2009

They want what all Scotch people want: To kill the Queen, and destroy our way of life.

loving play fon Marino you prick

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

angry armadillo posted:

I don't know if this is because I'm playing with Gateshead in the Skrill Premier but the amount of times a player (mine or CPU) cuts in to the box, gets past the 6 yard line, shoots across the face of goal, wide of the far post...

then the keeper dives out to save it, and punches it into the goal... it's so improbable even at such a poor level that the keeper would punch it the opposite way to his dive i'm not sure what's going on...

Hopefully it stops as I get to play with better keepers

I find that a lot of shots go through the keeper at weird angles at lower league.

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

So is the general consensus at the moment to not get this and wait to see if any of the patches fix some of the weirder elements going on?

Shit Farm
Jan 10, 2013

There was a real lack of faith in Frankfurt this year.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Botswana! posted:

Haha holy crap, this kid is amazing. I've got a San Marinese youngster pushing for a spot in my first team too, but since signing him he's played for Italy u21s. Which is annoying because I've got a real thing for building teams full of people who play for poo poo countries. There's an Azeri u18 centerback I've got my eye on at the moment.

Cart Cam posted:

There was a real lack of faith in Frankfurt this year.

This has been a problem for so many years in FM. Playing as West Ham, I can have won the league 5 times consecutively, the Champions League twice in that time and in one season won every competition we played in, and our predicted finish will still be 8th.

Bogan Krkic fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 24, 2013

mrg220t
Mar 5, 2007

Kitty no go hungry again with finger food!!!

The Croc posted:

So is the general consensus at the moment to not get this and wait to see if any of the patches fix some of the weirder elements going on?

Yup.
Match Engine is crap at the moment. Strikers will miss sitters because defenders can't defend and your strikers end up with a lot of chances. SI nerfed the finishing. Wait for new Match Engine patches.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

Walton Simons posted:

I find that a lot of shots go through the keeper at weird angles at lower league.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuzRSnoONpU

Like so!

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
The work permit system seems to have been altered quite a bit too. Past games essentially meant "You won't get a permit until you're in the top league"; now even that doesn't seem to help at all. Second season in the Premiership and i've just lost my seventh great prospect player to work permit failures even though all of them would be regulars (and they had contracts that say that).

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

NinjaSteve posted:

Haha holy crap, this kid is amazing. I've got a San Marinese youngster pushing for a spot in my first team too, but since signing him he's played for Italy u21s. Which is annoying because I've got a real thing for building teams full of people who play for poo poo countries. There's an Azeri u18 centerback I've got my eye on at the moment.

This has been a problem for so many years in FM. Playing as West Ham, I can have won the league 5 times consecutively, the Champions League twice in that time and in one season won every competition we played in, and our predicted finish will still be 8th.

That's weird. In recent FM11 I took Montpellier from predicted midtable to constantly predicted 1st/2nd, in FM12 I done it with Real Sociedad and in FM13 I done it with Real Sociedad and Sunderland. All of these teams started below mid-table in expectations but rose as seasons passed and my team got better.

Rycalawre
Nov 6, 2009

Botswana! posted:

Do AC San Marino get Sanmarinese or Italian regens? I've never actually checked if teams like Swansea or Cardiff actually get Welsh regens.

Botswana!
Oct 12, 2009

They want what all Scotch people want: To kill the Queen, and destroy our way of life.

Rycalawre posted:

Do AC San Marino get Sanmarinese or Italian regens? I've never actually checked if teams like Swansea or Cardiff actually get Welsh regens.

They get both as they are a part of the Italian league system and the vast majority of their staff/players are Italians. They start with a Sanmarinese Chairman and HOYD, but I'm sure that they'd produce regens from San Marino regardless too

Babby Thatcher
May 3, 2004

concept by my buddy kyle

Rycalawre posted:

I think regional oddities like these can be set in the editor? Cardiff & Swansea def. get lots of Welsh regens with the odd English one mixed in (just as the odd Welsh one pops up at English sides). Toronto get mainly Canadian ones too if you're not running the MLS (which has a draft)

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Babby Thatcher posted:

I think regional oddities like these can be set in the editor? Cardiff & Swansea def. get lots of Welsh regens with the odd English one mixed in (just as the odd Welsh one pops up at English sides). Toronto get mainly Canadian ones too if you're not running the MLS (which has a draft)
Clubs get regens based on the country in which they're based, and not the country in which the league they play in is based. Because of this, a San Marino team could play in a league based halfway across the world like China, but they'd still get most of their regens from San Marino.

There are separate fields in the editor where you can put in the country whose club competitions they play in, the country where they're based, and the country they would represent for continental-level club competitions.

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.
Schalke: 3-1-2-3-1: 4 Bundesligas, 2 ECL.
Too easy.
Starting a 3rd division game now.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Xeno posted:

Schalke: 3-1-2-3-1: 4 Bundesligas, 2 ECL.
Too easy.
Starting a 3rd division game now.

Please post your tactic.

Xeno
Sep 16, 2005

MAD TYTE DUBZ, YO.

Mandalay posted:

Please post your tactic.

My beastly regens:

Defence play deeper. This was the key for me, I went from 4-3 games to 3-0 with that one instruction.
Short passing, close down, get stuck in. Control.

If it's a tough opponent (Bayern/Dortmund/ECL) I put possession on. If they're poo poo I go direct.
In an important game (ECL away, top 4 Bundesliga away), if I go one up I'll sub off the two wingers and sub on two wing backs, go to possesion, slow tempo, counter. It kills the game and I usually don't see another highlight.
Keeper passes to defence, that's about it for individual instructions.

Xeno fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 26, 2013

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Revenant Threshold posted:

The work permit system seems to have been altered quite a bit too. Past games essentially meant "You won't get a permit until you're in the top league"; now even that doesn't seem to help at all. Second season in the Premiership and i've just lost my seventh great prospect player to work permit failures even though all of them would be regulars (and they had contracts that say that).

Just get a feeder club in Spain and Croatia, Spain for all the South Americans and Croatia (after they join the EU in a few years, if it's anything like older games) for everyone else. Takes only 2 years in those countries.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

pik_d posted:

Just get a feeder club in Spain and Croatia, Spain for all the South Americans and Croatia (after they join the EU in a few years, if it's anything like older games) for everyone else. Takes only 2 years in those countries.
Croatia are now completely useless for work permits. 8 years, continuous not accumulated, so once their loan ends it gets reset

• Locked thread