Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

jivjov posted:

I'm looking at it right now and I'm not seeing anything other than shiny regeneration light.

Really? Spot the difference:

thexerox123 fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

thexerox123 posted:

Really? Spot the difference:

I'm not seeing it, but oh well. I'm not too fussed about it. I just wish it had been a bit more explicit, that's all. In addition to not-noticeable-to-me eyes, maybe

While composing this post I brought up both images, zoomed in, and flipped back and forth. Y'all are totally right. I see it more in the eyebrows and chin rather than the eyes themselves, that's what was throwing me off.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Here's a supposed spoiler breakdown of the Christmas Special via Gallifrey Base. If true, it's obviously missing a lot of context for some things, like the Silence apparently being good guys in the whole matter and the cracks of time appearing:

Gallifrey Base posted:

Christmas Special: (possibly called Time Of The Doctor)

There's a signal, a bell tolling, calling out through the universe and touching every race. Most races are inexplicably afraid, even Daleks Cybermen Angels etc. But our Doctor is, as ever, very curious! He and Clara follow the signal to a small, wooded, snowy place where they are attacked by Angels. The Doctor gets wounded and fears his leg is infected.

They meet a couple (Del's wife off Only Fools and Horses, and Eddie the Barman from Hustle) who explain that they are on the outskirts of Christmas Town, a quaint little place enfolded in a truth field which has always been there, seemingly naturally.

On closer examination and exploration the Doctor figures that the signal is emanating from the clock tower in the centre of town. Further investigation reveals that the planet is surrounded by enemies old and new, all wanting to crush the place.

Chatting with those in the know, the Doctor realises that this is Trenzalore! The enemies are holding back their attack for fear that the Doctor - through legend - will unleash the might of the Time Lords on them. The Daleks fear this the most. So, the Doctor decides he has no choice but to protect this innocent town (which just happens to house the target of the universal forces of evil) from utter destruction. He has to stay. He has to help!

Realising that this could take a while he sends Clara to safety in the TARDIS; she won't live for half the time this'll take to sort out... So now he's stranded there in Christmas Town. He takes up residency in the tower where he becomes something of a local celeb! The man who takes care of the town! He spends 300 or so years fighting the invading monsters, side by side with the Mainframe - both are defending the town, after an agreement was made in their mutual interest! He defeats Angels and Cybermen (wooden ones too) and Sontarans and who knows what else. All the while, the question is asked: Doctor Who?

Clara visits, with help, and finds the Doctor making and fixing toys for the children of the town. He's old. Aged. He's lost that infected leg, it turned to stone so had to go. Now he has a wooden one! And he also has a Cyberhead mate called Handles who keeps him company, keeps him chatting... The Doctor explains his situation to Clara (us) and we see the battles he is left to fight. An endless, bitter war. A war that could kill him; he has no regenerations remaining! This is his last life.

(When Kovarian said "an endless bitter war, against you!" In AGMGTW she didn't mean between the a Silence and him, but between him and everyone else, fought on the Silence's doorstep.)

The stalemate holds, the battle rages, the Doctor defeats all sorts of monsters. Until only the ever-defiant Daleks remain in position, waiting and waiting. 900 years of battle and waiting and waiting and more waiting. 900 years of not being able to end it all. The Daleks fear that if they attack then the Doctor will unleash the Time Lords and that means an end for them. If the Doctor leaves Christmas Town then the place burns with no deterrent. So both sides sit and wait... And wait... And wait...

Until the Doctor realises his time is up, his life is at an end. He has no regenerations left (thanks to Ten's vanity in Journey's End and Hurt's Recently revealed existence) so this really is the end. He takes his rage and frustration to the Daleks one last time: a last stand, an "I've got nothing, so kill me if you want" defiant eff-you. They close in on him when, inexplicably, a familiar crack of light opens in the sky and from it emerges a second chance! The Doctor is able, once more, to regenerate! Breaking all rules, it's going to be a hell of a light show! The exploding energy from his regeneration blasts Daleks all around, sending them burning into the wastes of space and the battleground around the town...

...thanks to the mysterious Tasha Lem, Clara has been shown this, from a distance, and - knowing he SHOULD just die - she's overjoyed that he appears to be changing once more. She races to where she saw it happen only to find the TARDIS, open, waiting... our story continues! Hopefully for another 50 years!

From what I can gather from other posts from the spoiler provider, the Silence were trying to stop the Doctor from eventually coming there for fear he would be forced to open the time lock and re-start the Time War. We now know though that didn't exactly happen via the 50th.

In reply to another poster, the spoiler provider also added:

"The cracks appear throughout the episode. They're haunting Eleven as the years tick by. I guess they're waiting for the right moment."

Also no idea what they're doing with Tasha Lem, perhaps a chance for a return of Romana living under a different name?

Other spoiler rumors say that the Time Lord are responsible for the cracks, and they gift the Doctor a new set of regenerations as thanks for saving them.

Teek fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 25, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I say BS. I do not think that anyone in the production would let any spoilers out.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Spoilers always leak out for episodes though, this is nothing new. This is just quite a bit. GB is treating the person like a reliable source too, so the user has apparently given solid info in the past. The spoiler provider also has said they don't know everything, that's just a summary of what they do have.

Teek fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 25, 2013

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I actually like that, all save the end - I hope that if it DOES go that route, there's a tiny bit more explanation than the cracks just open and somehow the Doctor is able to regenerate again because stuff. Everything else sounds grand, though. I'm hopeful if the spoilers prove true.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I really, really hope not. A lot of it might work, except for the fact that the Doctor, the 11th, SHOULD KNOW HE HAS ONE MORE REGENERATION. The 13th shows up to help in the Galifrey fight! He's the one who REMEMBERS that right?

That and can we please, please stop, PLEASE, treating Regeneration as magical Anime Power Up Bullshit? The regrowing a hand thing kind of makes sense, but ever since River used it as legitimate super powers it's always bugged the hell out of me.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Burkion posted:

I really, really hope not. A lot of it might work, except for the fact that the Doctor, the 11th, SHOULD KNOW HE HAS ONE MORE REGENERATION. The 13th shows up to help in the Galifrey fight! He's the one who REMEMBERS that right?

Depends, did the earlier Doctors remember the later Doctors once they returned to their time? I don't believe so. So feasibly he wouldn't remember 13 coming to help. Not sure if that applies to the Curator either. He seems to be his own thing. Obliviously a *wink* to the fans, but still working within the context of the story.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Let me be the first to say that I hope none of that is true. It sounds like poo poo.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Maera Sior posted:

Let me be the first to say that I hope none of that is true. It sounds like poo poo.

I tend to agree, frankly I think it would have worked better too without forcing it to be a Christmas episode as well.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Teek posted:

I tend to agree, frankly I think it would have worked better too without forcing it to be a Christmas episode as well.

Do we know just how Christmassy this one is though? It seems to take place during the winter, but so far it doesn't look very holiday-filled. (From the whole 15 seconds we saw)

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Certainly sounds Christmassy, with the snow, a village called Christmas Town and the Doctor aging into some sort of Santa-like figure.

Ben Soosneb
Jun 18, 2009
Tasha - Mustache - Bushy Mustache - Bush

Lem - Mel

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
I haven't been following this thread, but has anyone cobbled together a nice wallpaper of that scene with the 12 Doctors standing together?

shades of eternity
Nov 9, 2013

Where kitties raise dragons in the world's largest mall.
Honestly, it feels like it's trying to be safe and it kinda felt into a niche.

I admit fully that doctor who has fell into a rut that, while not bad, feels quite limiting in time and space.

I guess the best example was yesterday.

I watched the following things of note for the first time with a friend as a sort of doctor who day:

An Adventure in Space and Time
The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot
The Night of the Doctor
The Day of the Doctor

and honestly, the day of the doctor was the weakest link.

heck even the Strax promos that I also watched felt more fun, abet short (and they really need to let the trio do more for promotion, they are awesome).

beware after this point, there be spoilers:

An Adventure in Space and Time tore my heart out and showed me a interpretation of the real life pathos of William Hartnell. David Bradley does such a fantastic job channeling the past that if they ever needed to reshoot for the lost episodes, he would be my first choice.

It also forever ruins my ability to mock David Tennant's last line as the doctor. :(

The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot was a hilarious romp through yesteryear and the bbc would be drat fools to not keep using Peter, Colin and Sly in webizodes. They blew it away with good humor. It also shows that Moffat is a drat fool for sidelining them.

The Night of the Doctor is awesome for it's own reasons. It shows that Paul McGann really is the 8th doctor and recycles stuff from the past to create the premise of the episode

Now we get to the Day of the Doctor. Let me state that it isn't bad. In fact if it were a regular episode it would be one of the better ones, but for the 50th anniversary episode, it felt underwhelming.

The premise was solid enough. If you could stop the greatest regret your life should you do it. I would say yes. Matt and David had fantastic chemistry and john Hurt was criminally underused up to this point. They episode made me laugh uncontrollably at times and the story was well told.

Heck it was awesome to see unit and Kate Stewart needs to be used more. Heck I liked the usage of the Zygons and earthers conflict and the solution reached.

However

1. I understand why they couldn't, but the absence of Christopher Eccleston really was felt. John Hurt was a throw away character only created because Christopher Eccleston didn't come back, but he needed more time to establish him as a doctor trying to balance his gentle nature with the horrors of war. He didn't really feel like a soul scarred veteran as a grumpy old man telling his future incantations to "get off his lawn."

He needed at least one full episode to establish himself to get things started.

2. they managed to make Rose even a greater "special snowflake" then they ever did in previous incantations. Although Billie Piper's acting ability allowed me to delay realizing it for a while, so well done. She literally as a sentient weapon of mass destruction retconned to make rose the most special Mary Sue in all of whodom. I had to check to ensure that it wasn't rtd writing the script. :p.

3. The sidelining of a ton of mythos and the general disregard of previous doctor whose was a bit of a disgrace. I'm glad they participated in the fiveish doctor reboot and Paul McGann usage in night of the doctor was well done. But we've lost so much due to callousness that it kinda hurts that they disdain some of our living artifacts.

To be fair it was good to see a grumpy old Tom Baker at the end and kinda kicking myself not realizing the foreshadowing with the adorkable lass with the oversized scarf, even if it was a tad pandering.

and it's worse crime: it's short. It wasn't long enough to be a two parter, let alone a 3 part epic mini series. I kinda feel bad for the people whom saw it in the theatre and hope the extras really made up for it (I heard about Strax doing a short showing cinema etiquette that apparently left them laughing in the isles).

To conclude.

A long time ago I said the 50th anniversary would make or break nuwho.

I guess I was wrong for the day of the doctor did neither.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just realized why this sounds so ridiculous to me. Like, I can put it into words.

SO you guys remember when the Second Doctor, in the first 24 hours of his regeneration, totally found and destroyed all those Daleks with his super cool regeneration SSJ powers? No?

Huh.

OK, BUT you remember how the THIRD Doctor, instead of falling into a coma for a bit, instead just punched his way through Auton after Auton and hurled those meteors back into space right? That didn't happen?

Well but...

The FOURTH Doctor, when that GIANT ROBOT HOLDING SARA JANE showed up, he just ran up and punched it in the dick blasting it apart into a million-really? Never happened? Are you sure?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

shades of eternity posted:

2. they managed to make Rose even a greater "special snowflake" then they ever did in previous incantations. Although Billie Piper's acting ability allowed me to delay realizing it for a while, so well done. She literally as a sentient weapon of mass destruction retconned to make rose the most special Mary Sue in all of whodom. I had to check to ensure that it wasn't rtd writing the script. :p.
It really didn't though. It wasn't Rose at all. Again, this is something explained within the episode in dialogue that people somehow missed. It's as if the sudden appearances of Piper and Baker caused people to just blank out and forget everything that was stated.

She's not Rose. The Moment's AI chose Rose's appearance from The Doctor's future. I hate Rose, but I enjoyed Piper's performance because she wasn't Rose at all and she had fun with it.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

Teek posted:

Certainly sounds Christmassy, with the snow, a village called Christmas Town and the Doctor aging into some sort of Santa-like figure.

So 2 years ago we had a special themed around A Christmas Carol...last year had The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe...and this year is....The Nightmare Before Christmas?

Or it could be Santa Claus: The Movie. But only if one of the aliens is played by a cackling, hammy John Lithgow.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

shades of eternity posted:

John Hurt was a throw away character only created because Christopher Eccleston didn't come back

That's just not true, Eccleston was always just regenerated at the start of Rose. He never fought in the Time War. The entire plot of Day of the Doctor requires either Hurt or McGann. More Doctors after the war provides more context to all the ways the choice to use the Moment impacts them, but isn't strictly required. Only Eleven is required. Because it's the 50th I'm sure they would have fit in Eccleston for more than a cameo regeneration scene, but there would always be someone else in the plot at a central role being the War Doctor even *with* Eccleston.

I don't know why people keep thinking poo poo was repurposed because Eccleston turned them down.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

Boogaleeboo posted:

I don't know why people keep thinking poo poo was repurposed because Eccleston turned them down.

Allows them to whine more I guess.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Teek posted:

Here's a supposed spoiler breakdown of the Christmas Special via Gallifrey Base. If true, it's obviously missing a lot of context for some things, like the Silence apparently being good guys in the whole matter and the cracks of time appearing:

Christmas Town

Haha are you kidding? The Doctor becomes a toymaker in Christmas Town? Is this "Doctor Who meets Rankin-Bass?"

I don't believe this for a minute. The idea that basically NONE of the spoilers about Day of the Doctor were correct besides things inferred from set pics of QE1, Zygons, and the National Gallery, but somehow GB has got a detailed plot breakdown of the very next episode is laughable.

Also again, I get that having Smith die at Trenzalore where his grave is seems apt, but he literally knows his next self was there in a TARDIS when they ducked Gallifrey out of time. Why would he be so "oh, woe is me, I'm slowly dying over 900 years cause I can't regenerate, Clara!"?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It is possible that 11 didn't know the Capaldi doc was there.

It's all kind of vague.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Astroman posted:

Haha are you kidding? The Doctor becomes a toymaker in Christmas Town? Is this "Doctor Who meets Rankin-Bass?"

That's nothing new for a Christmas special though, they tend to be schmaltzy like that. I'm not saying I believe the rumored outline, it's just something several spoiler providers are saying are it.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Teek posted:

That's nothing new for a Christmas special though, they tend to be schmaltzy like that. I'm not saying I believe the rumored outline, it's just something several spoiler providers are saying are it.

Isn't Smith supposed to kick the bucket in this year's Christmas special? Or does he have another season in him? Wasn't sure what the timeline was.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

New Leaf posted:

Isn't Smith supposed to kick the bucket in this year's Christmas special? Or does he have another season in him? Wasn't sure what the timeline was.

This will be his final regular appearance as the Doctor.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Rhyno posted:

This will be his final regular appearance as the Doctor.

That kind of sucks for his character. He's coming off this massive victory and he's just going to get ganked immediately afterwards. I guess he has had a few hundred years in that skin, though. It's probably getting a little threadbare.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Harlock posted:

It is possible that 11 didn't know the Capaldi doc was there.

It's all kind of vague.

This. Only 12 doctors called the war council. 13 snuck in and was detected by the defense grid. It's entirely possible that Capaldi's Doctor was sneaking in from the future to get stuck in the moment in order to break Gallifrey out of stasis. Future plot point, I'm sure.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

New Leaf posted:

That kind of sucks for his character. He's coming off this massive victory and he's just going to get ganked immediately afterwards.

Wouldn't be the first time.

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
I loved the episode, however, the final line:
"At last I know where I’m going. Where I’ve always been going. Home: The long way ’round!"

This sounds suspicious and terrible, to me. Cartmel Masterplan, anybody? :tinfoil:

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

The Christmas Special is called "The Time of The Doctor":

quote:

Orbiting a quiet backwater planet, the massed forces of the universe’s deadliest species gather, drawn to a mysterious message that echoes out to the stars. And amongst them – the Doctor. Rescuing Clara from a family Christmas dinner, the Time Lord and his best friend must learn what this enigmatic signal means for his own fate and that of the universe.

http://blogtorwho.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/2013-christmas-special-details-revealed.html

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Hey look, it's Handles.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010

Blasphemeral posted:

I loved the episode, however, the final line:
"At last I know where I’m going. Where I’ve always been going. Home: The long way ’round!"

This sounds suspicious and terrible, to me. Cartmel Masterplan, anybody? :tinfoil:

The final regeneration problem will be solved with looms. :unsmigghh:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Well those spoilers did get the name right so it could be right.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
So is this special just going to ignore that clara wiped all the Dalek's memories of the Doctor?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

That seems to fit the spoilers at least.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Huh, guess the synopsis posted earlier is true.

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

el burbo posted:

Huh, guess the synopsis posted earlier is true.
So basically, the Time Lords use the cracks in the universe caused by the TARDIS going boom in S5 as a way to reach out of their pocket dimension to give the Doctor additional regenerations, in order to ensure that their last chance at restoration remains alive.

Also, "Silence will fall" wasn't referring to the events of The Name of the Doctor... it was referring to the fact that the Doctor literally wiped out all of his enemies at Trenzalore, after which the signal drawing them all to Trenzalore went silent. This is the future that everyone wanted to avoid by locking the Doctor inside the Pandorica.

Varance fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Nov 26, 2013

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Mother gently caress no.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

Varance posted:

So basically, the Time Lords use the cracks in the universe caused by the TARDIS going boom in S5 as a way to reach out of their pocket dimension to give the Doctor additional regenerations, in order to ensure that their last chance at restoration remains alive.

We still don't know what caused the Tardis to go boom, do we?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Kevos Setzer posted:

We still don't know what caused the Tardis to go boom, do we?
Maybe when 11 dies, the Tardis goes with him, only to come back with Capaldi.

• Locked thread