Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
At least the synopsis carries on the tradition of the Christmas specials being garbage. 11 deserves a better way to go. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varance
Oct 28, 2004

Ladies, hide your footwear!
Nap Ghost

Harlock posted:

Maybe when 11 dies, the Tardis goes with him, only to come back with Capaldi.
I'd guess that the TARDIS gets destroyed by his special regeneration into 13, leaving behind the personal Time Vortex seen in The Name of the Doctor. Something Timey-Wimey happens, Capaldi Doctor gets a restored TARDIS.

Varance fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 26, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I love how people are saying its garbage just based off broad strokes. We have no idea how its going to play out.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

bobkatt013 posted:

I love how people are saying its garbage just based off broad strokes. We have no idea how its going to play out.

People will say it's garbage as long as Moffat pens it.

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010
I am extremely pleased to have low standards by the measure of other fans of nerd-poo poo. I get to enjoy this episode and you don't, neener neener.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I watched The Master eat people and shoot lightning at Timothy Dalton as he stood on a sound stage and wasted his vast potential. I enjoyed that episode.

This sounds fine to me.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
From Bleeding Cool:

A bell tolls across the Universe. Many are afraid, The Doctor and Clara are… curious.

You will come to Christmas Town, a place of peace, welcomed by Rob Jarvis and Tessa Peake-Jones.

You will come to Trenzalore, a planet of war.

You will find out where Gallifrey went.

You will discover what the Silence are.

You will see who the voice in the TARDIS was.

The episode will be nine hundred years long.

There will be Daleks, Cybermen and Weeping Angels. Some of them will be wooden. So will The Doctor.

He always has Handles. And grab hold, as you will find out what the hell that crack in space and time actually was. Because The Time Of The Doctor will be going right back to The Eleventh Hour.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I can easily imagine that the Doctor will get a new set of regenerations due to Magical Feel-Good Reasons, seeing as that would just be copying Moffat's very first Who script (Curse of Fatal Death).

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Ha, oh God, the spoilers were true? That sounds dire!

So where was this leaker with the 50th?

And Handles...if he keeps a Cyberman head as a pet...does that mean there's still an...organic head inside? Eww.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

At least the synopsis carries on the tradition of the Christmas specials being garbage. 11 deserves a better way to go. :(

Going out after defending a town for 900 years, losing a leg to the Weeping Angels (that'll make them scary again) and rediscovering your lost home world won't do it for you? gently caress man, it beats dying from Rose's time herpes.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Astroman posted:

So where was this leaker with the 50th?

Leaks can happen from anywhere really. Never trust the craft services guy.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011
Give it a chance, guys. It'll be pretty good.

e:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah sure let me figure out a better way for 11(12?13?) to go than fighting all his goddamn enemies in a 900 year long war of attrition. He's basically acting on the Pandorica threat.

Super.Jesus fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Nov 26, 2013

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

computer parts posted:

People will say it's garbage as long as Moffat pens it.
Yeah, it's still november and I'm already drowning in fanboy tears. Some of y'all should start bottling them, they're considered a delicacy in many cultures, you'd make a living.

What I'm saying is, base complaints on what you've actually seen, everything else is whining.

Super.Jesus
Oct 20, 2011
From the spoilers and the 50th, it's safe to deduce that Moffat is trying to tie up all the loose ends.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I'm all for getting the regeneration limit addressed sooner rather than later. I'm pretty neutral on Moffat in general. He's had some hits and misses, but he does tend to be a little too far up his own rear end about his fantastic, clever, wheels-within-wheels-within-mazes-within-puzzle-box plots. If we can just bang out whatever idea he has for bypassing the 13 lives limit and move on with the show here in the Christmas special, I think the franchise will be better for it, rather than having it looming (HA!) over our heads for Capaldi's first season.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If they legitimately go with "Regeneration Kills The Daleks" I will not be happy.

That's what really pisses me off, that idea. I don't think I really need to go into WHY that's just not smart to begin with. Oh wait I did before.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

[quote="Astroman" post="11/14"]
Moffat, by adding a new Doctor in is making the story of the new regeneration cycle sooner then later, possibly wanting to address it during his tenure. It's quite possible that the Metacrises DID burn up a regeneration, in which case 11 is on the last body. This actually fits as the TARDIS Tomb looks like 11's and it's hinted that he is 11 when he dies there--there are no further Doctor's in his grave/headspace.

So it could be that Moffat is tackling the regeneration issue in the Christmas special itself, and Capaldi isn't the Last Doctor of his first cycle, but a First Doctor of another 12 (or infinite) regenerations.

Personally I think that storyline deserves at least a season, but it is appropriate to do in the 50th year--give the character a new lease on life, get rid of all the baggage of the The Time War, getting older, closer to death, etc. Capaldi's Doctor could be the most non-brooding, happy go lucky one we've seen in years.
[/quote]

:smug:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Burkion posted:

If they legitimately go with "Regeneration Kills The Daleks" I will not be happy.

That's what really pisses me off, that idea. I don't think I really need to go into WHY that's just not smart to begin with. Oh wait I did before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVEY5AL5zzk&t=49s

Boom.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe

The Doctor looks like he's wasted and ruining Christmas.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

The Doctor looks like he's wasted and ruining Christmas.

That's an awful lot of wrinkles on his face for a guy in his late 20's/early30's. Did they morph parts of Capaldi's face onto him or something? Because otherwise that just looks really weird.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

There was some half-asses reasoning about the radiation and holding it in for so long. 9 to 10 wasn't explosive, and War-9 wasn't either.

Also thanks for making me miss Matt again, you jerk :(

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

nine-gear crow posted:

That's an awful lot of wrinkles on his face for a guy in his late 20's/early30's. Did they morph parts of Capaldi's face onto him or something? Because otherwise that just looks really weird.

The last few years haven't been too kind on Matt Smith. Whether that's down to generally getting older, the workload, or excessive partying (I hear from someone who works on the show that they all do a lot of partying), who knows.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Why didn't they name a Christmas special with the Silents 'Silent Night?'

Although really I would rather that they not do Christmas specials anymore and just have another episode in the regular season.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Well that sounds like everything I was worried the 50th would be, so I'm grateful they loaded all that stuff into the Christmas special rather than ruining the 50th with it.

Proposition Joe posted:

Why didn't they name a Christmas special with the Silents 'Silent Night?'

Although really I would rather that they not do Christmas specials anymore and just have another episode in the regular season.

I'd be happy if they stopped trying to make them so Christmassy, there's no reason why the Christmas special can't just be an episode that's shown at Christmas.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Barry Foster posted:

The last few years haven't been too kind on Matt Smith. Whether that's down to generally getting older, the workload, or excessive partying (I hear from someone who works on the show that they all do a lot of partying), who knows.

Since his first season Matt Smith has definitely looked a lot more human.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

nine-gear crow posted:

When 900 years old you reach, look as good you will not.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

marktheando posted:

I'd be happy if they stopped trying to make them so Christmassy, there's no reason why the Christmas special can't just be an episode that's shown at Christmas.

At the same time, I remember "The Christmas Invasion", "The Runaway Bride", "Voyage Of the Damned" and "The Next Doctor" all receiving a good bit of criticism because they were episodes that happened to take place on Christmas Day (obviously there's also "The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe", which is susceptible to the same complaint, but I think its problems go rather beyond being a Christmas episode that has little to do with Christmas). Conversely, the most widely praised (at least as far as I can see) Christmas special ("A Christmas Carol") is probably the most Christmassey of them all.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
One of the Christmas episodes at literal flying space sharks, all arguments of bad Christmas episodes are invalid.

Though rumour if true, make it sound crazy bad rear end. I can't wait!

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

Moffat has a poor track record when it comes to showing "ALL THE ENEMIES ARE HERE OH NO"(Pandorica excepted), so I'm not exactly hopeful that this one will be much better.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Maera Sior posted:

Moffat has a poor track record when it comes to showing "ALL THE ENEMIES ARE HERE OH NO"(Pandorica excepted), so I'm not exactly hopeful that this one will be much better.

Yet this story does not look like it has River in it.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

Yet this story does not look like it has River in it.

Well, there is that.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Maera Sior posted:

It's interesting he keeps reusing that element though of all the baddies teaming up. Like that's his only idea of how to raise the stakes.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Maera Sior posted:

Well, there is that.

I assume there will be a mention of her since they have to show him building the fake grave, but then again she could show up since she is still conected to Clara. They could also make him regenerate like 5 and River will be the last thing he sees.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Maera Sior posted:

Harlock posted:

It's interesting he keeps reusing that element though of all the baddies teaming up. Like that's his only idea of how to raise the stakes.

Wait, I am super, super confused. He has a poor track record of having all of the enemies join forces, with the exception of the only episode in which that actually ever happened? In what other episode did he "reuse" that idea?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Guy A. Person posted:

Wait, I am super, super confused. He has a poor track record of having all of the enemies join forces, with the exception of the only episode in which that actually ever happened? In what other episode did he "reuse" that idea?

I guess there's also A Good Man Goes to War even though it's his allies he's gathering?

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
Even if the episode synopsis doesn't sound mind blowing, this is Smith's last outing as the Doctor (at least until the 75th anniversary where he curates a museum) and I refuse to believe that he'll do anything other than give it absolutely everything he has left and be amazing; plot be damned, Smith is going to steal the show.

Also, as far as stuff like "the sky opens and new regeneration dust falls out" or whatever the hell it was, it may be complete wank, however, it may also be something that makes more sense later into Capaldi's run, maybe we'll see where it came about or whatever. Although I think I really would have preferred dealing with the end of a regeneration cycle to be something that ran for a whole season, something that dogged and haunted the doctor as opposed to something pretty much introduced and pretty much wrapped up in one episode.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

Guy A. Person posted:

I suppose I didn't word that quite as well as I could have. It's a problem that he has whenever a massive number of enemies show up and they are REALLY SERIOUS THIS TIME, LOOK HOW SERIOUS THEY ARE THERE ARE SO MANY OF THEM. Off the top of my head: A Good Man Goes to War, The Wedding of River Song, The Angels Take Manhattan, and Nightmare in Silver (originally written by Gaiman, but obviously hosed over by Moffat).

Dice Dingus
May 4, 2010

computer parts posted:

I guess there's also A Good Man Goes to War even though it's his allies he's gathering?

Forget it, computer parts, it's Goon Hyperbole.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Maera Sior posted:

I suppose I didn't word that quite as well as I could have. It's a problem that he has whenever a massive number of enemies show up and they are REALLY SERIOUS THIS TIME, LOOK HOW SERIOUS THEY ARE THERE ARE SO MANY OF THEM. Off the top of my head: A Good Man Goes to War, The Wedding of River Song, The Angels Take Manhattan, and Nightmare in Silver (originally written by Gaiman, but obviously hosed over by Moffat).

Oh so you physically mean a large number of enemies, not a large variety. In that case, how is (e.g.) Bad Wolf, The End of Time, Army of Ghosts/Doomsday, Sound of Drums/Last of the Timelords, etc any different?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorLoomis
Apr 5, 2007

I LUST FOR MONKEY DEATH
I think alot of people in this thread are beginning to bitterly protest the basic tenants of storytelling and science fiction altogether.

• Locked thread