Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The problem is that nobody seems to care about Cyclops in the movies. See also his halfassed appearance in X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

muscles like this? posted:

The problem is that nobody seems to care about Cyclops in the movies. See also his halfassed appearance in X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

They didn't really give him much to do. I honestly can't remember much of Cyclops in the movies.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

If you se that as your evidence they do not care about anyone in that film, since everyone and everything was halfassed.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Wolverine was half assed in X-Men Origins: Wolverine

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Madkal posted:

They didn't really give him much to do. I honestly can't remember much of Cyclops in the movies.

In 2 he spent most of the movie kidnapped and brainwashed.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Strontosaurus posted:

"Have you tried not being a mutant?" is my favorite line from any of those movies. It's obviously a joke.

Yeah, the absurdity of asking Bobby that is the whole point of the joke. It's highlighting the absurdity of asking a gay kid the same thing.

It's not my favourite line though. That would be about a third of McKellan's lines, where he just dips into the camp a superhero movie needs sometimes.
:v: "We love what you've done with your hair."
:rolleyes:"You homo sapiens and your guns..."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Its really too bad because Marsden just comes off as a great guy in everything.

A friend of mine was asking me if I think that we'll see Elizabeth Olsen as Scarlett Witch anytime soon, and I cannot see them even dropping a hint of concept art until at least Cap 2 comes out. Avengers 2 is the next thing aver GotG right?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

They might put them in an after credits scene but I don't think the Maximoff's fit in with Cap 2

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Opopanax posted:

They might put them in an after credits scene but I don't think the Maximoff's fit in with Cap 2

Well, I was talking more like magazine and website stuff talking about Avengers 2, but I could see the after credits thing being US Immigration and the immigration officer opening up a passport that says "Wanda Maximoff" and looking up at Her and Pietro.

BTW, i'm curious on how they are going to pronounce that, I've always thought it was pronounced Pee-troh. But i've heard it said Pee-ter-o.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Pee-ehtro.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I was never bif into X-en, so can somebody explain to me why Rogue kept only Ms. marvels powers permanently. Beyond the "it's cool" explanation you have for everything in comics.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

e X posted:

I was never bif into X-en, so can somebody explain to me why Rogue kept only Ms. marvels powers permanently. Beyond the "it's cool" explanation you have for everything in comics.

My understanding is that Rogue drained Carol much deeper than anyone else giving her the powers on a semi-permanent basis and putting Ms Marvel in a coma.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

There were rumors that Marsden will have a cameo in Days of Future Past, and I think he and Singer have had discussions about bringing him back for the next X-Men film afterwards.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ByCY2UYLHG8

Impeccable timing with this one.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The website listed in that video thebentbullet.com has some background to stuff like it looks like a couple of characters won't be returning, Azazel and Tempest are both listed as casualties of Project WideAwake. Not a big shocker seeing as they were barely in First Class.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

My understanding is that Rogue drained Carol much deeper than anyone else giving her the powers on a semi-permanent basis and putting Ms Marvel in a coma.

Yea, I'm reading that right now, and pretty much while Rogue was in Mystiques brotherhood of evil mutants, Rogue fought Carol and managed to hold onto her so long, that she not only gained Ms Marvel powers, but also took a good chunk of who Carol Danvers was. So she did not only gain strength, speed, flight and invulnerability, but also gained part of Carols memories and personalities, so much so that SHIELD saw Rogue as being part Kree as well. There was a storyline that Rogue was so drained after flying from Japan to the Mansion that the Carol Personality took over completely, but Rogue was unaware of this, and they busted into the Helicarrier and rescued Rossi, Carols Ex BF. Rogue took him to "her parents cabin" meaning Carols parents, and she was even talking to Rossi using Carols Boston accent, rather than Rogue's southern one. It was pretty bad because Rogue could feel the relationship and love Carol had for Rossi but Rossi only saw a former evil mutant. I haven't gotten to the part were it really goes bad for Rogue, but there is a point where the two people in one body thing becomes too much and theres separation and Carol gets restored to being Ms Marvel, but Rogue keeps her powers.

As I said, these are pretty much the defining characteristics of Rogue and Ms Marvel in the past but these will certainly be ignored in any films, mostly because the characters rights are owned by different companies and its just too much to add to the films. I mean, all you need for Ms Marvel is to have Carol be a normal fighter ace, get zapped by some alien machine and BAM Super Powers. I really do with Rogue had more to do in the films. She's my favorite lady Xmen (which is funny because Ms/Captain Marvel is by far my favorite female super hero), but that love of the character is based on the comics and to a lesser extent her in the 90s animated show.

There's lots of good reasons to include Carol in MCU, mostly because it will give a front line combat woman. Captain Marvel is up there with the top tier marvel heroes. I've seen her listed just below the Hulk, Red Hulk, Thor Hercules and Colossus as the strongest heroes.

I nerd out out to her way to much, I'm afraid of how much I'll nerd out to Scarlett Witch, my second favorite, in 2015.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

The real reason why Carol got wiped?
http://carolastrickland.com/comics/msmarvel/

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
For all of Chris Claremont's horrible fetishes leaking into comics, he did right by Carol.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Oh yea, possibly one of the worst things ever done to a female character. And gently caress Jim Shooter. At least Claremont was able to reclaim her, and have her pal around with the Xmen and make her buddies with Wolverine, then give her new powers and have her go off with the Space Pirates.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

twistedmentat posted:

Oh yea, possibly one of the worst things ever done to a female character. And gently caress Jim Shooter. At least Claremont was able to reclaim her, and have her pal around with the Xmen and make her buddies with Wolverine, then give her new powers and have her go off with the Space Pirates.

isn't Jim Shooter the one who was responsible for the Hulk YMCA near shower rape story? What is wrong with that dude's head?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

That DOFP teaser site goes into a lot of of the alternate history where Magneto gets blamed for the Kennedy assassination.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Pyronic posted:

isn't Jim Shooter the one who was responsible for the Hulk YMCA near shower rape story? What is wrong with that dude's head?

He started writing when he was 14, and never stopped being 14.

That DOFP teaser site goes into a lot of of the alternate history where Magneto gets blamed for the Kennedy assassination.

That's really cool. I figure the dancer talked about being killed was the one who was, ugh, Angel?

EDIT: XMen is on AMC right now, and I never realized that Rogue's oufit at the start of the movie is very much like on of her classic outs, green coat with hood.

Though I also heard in a newscast that Henry Gyrich was mauled by a bear, but I don't remember him anywhere in the film.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 26, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

He started writing when he was 14, and never stopped being 14.

That's really cool. I figure the dancer talked about being killed was the one who was, ugh, Angel?

EDIT: XMen is on AMC right now, and I never realized that Rogue's oufit at the start of the movie is very much like on of her classic outs, green coat with hood.

Though I also heard in a newscast that Henry Gyrich was mauled by a bear, but I don't remember him anywhere in the film.

He was the Robert Kelly aide that Mystique was impersonating. However, they could just ignore it as they have done it before (Beast)

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Mr. Maltose posted:

For all of Chris Claremont's horrible fetishes leaking into comics, he did right by Carol.

It speaks volumes that their little plot to sweep Ms. Marvel under the rug and glue it down was so messed up even Clarmont was like "Uh, I need to fix that."

Shooter honestly thought he'd done a good job and given her a happy ending that nobody would feel the need to fix.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Senor Candle posted:

They would have to create someone with Danver's power set because there is no way in hell they have the rights to Captain Marvel.

Rogue drains Gladiator, gets all the flying brick powers and a purple mohawk. Done.

Also, seconding the Carol love. Of course,at this point it's a race to see if she can be worked into Phase 3 before DC ever even thinks about announcing a Wonder Woman movie.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Nov 26, 2013

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

404GoonNotFound posted:

Also, seconding the Carol love. Of course,at this point it's a race to see if she can be worked into Phase 3 before DC ever even thinks about announcing a Wonder Woman movie.

I think if a Captain Marvel movie makes it into pre-production you'll see WB put a serious rush on the Wonder Woman movie just for PR's sake

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Billy Idle posted:

Well, the problem is it's a bit of a muddled metaphor. In real life I wouldn't begrudge someone for seeking a cure for their inability to touch someone without risking killing them, and you're kind of an rear end in a top hat if you think otherwise.
That isn't something which would happen in real life though. Being gay is.

greatn posted:

Yeah, as ham handedly as Bryan Singer tried to link being gay and being a mutant, the metaphor simply doesn't hold up beyond the most simple "I was born this way".

The scene in X2 where Ice Man's parents ask him "Have you tried not being a mutant?" is so eyeroll inducing.
It doesn't matter how far you can or can't stretch the metaphor, it's still a very valid metaphor (not just for being gay). Different people can read different things into it.

And you may think it's an eyerolling line, but it has literally been said by a lot of parents of gay kids.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

irlZaphod posted:

And you may think it's an eyerolling line, but it has literally been said by a lot of parents of gay kids.
poo poo, there's literally an entire industry based essentially on that same line.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

irlZaphod posted:

That isn't something which would happen in real life though. Being gay is.

It doesn't matter how far you can or can't stretch the metaphor, it's still a very valid metaphor (not just for being gay). Different people can read different things into it.

I know, I've been in the room when it's been said to my best friend. That's why I think it's application to having superpowers is silly.

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary

Strontosaurus posted:

"Have you tried not being a mutant?" is my favorite line from any of those movies. It's obviously a joke.

The line is diminished somewhat if you watched the episode of Buffy (also written by Joss Whedon) where her mother finds out about her and says, in exactly the same tone and cadence, "Have you tried not being a Slayer?"

A sort of dialogue version of the "homages, ripoffs, and coincidences" stuff

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

greatn posted:

I know, I've been in the room when it's been said to my best friend. That's why I think it's application to having superpowers is silly.
I don't think you understand metaphor, or the point that it's supposed to sound silly when it's said to someone with superpowers, just like it does when it's said to someone who is gay.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

"I think comparing juvenile power fantasy states to actual minorities is silly."

"I don't think you understand metaphor."

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Mr. Maltose posted:

"I think comparing juvenile power fantasy states to actual minorities is silly."

"I don't think you understand metaphor."
His entire argument is that the metaphor "doesn't hold up" beyond a particular point. Which is something that describes just about any metaphor.

And really, it kinda does, so he's wrong on that.

irlZaphod fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Nov 26, 2013

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, if you don't think having literal superpowers is an poor means of expressing themes like the minority experience then you would think the metaphor wouldn't hold up. Which is a major legitimate criticism of the X-Books but gets glossed over constantly because comic books.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
I remember listening to the commentary for X2 because I'm that kind of goon, and Ian McKellen flat out says he wasn't even going to watch this dumb superhero paycheck movie until someone told him about that Iceman scene. Then he said he thought the scene was rad.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Mr. Maltose posted:

Yeah, if you don't think having literal superpowers is an poor means of expressing themes like the minority experience then you would think the metaphor wouldn't hold up. Which is a major legitimate criticism of the X-Books but gets glossed over constantly because comic books.
It's not just comic books. It's just metaphor as a literary device in general.

Different people will read different things into it depending on their experiences. Not everything the X-Men do has to be a metaphor for gays or any other minority, but as things happen there is plenty to read into it.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Lobok posted:

Explaining Rogue's Danvers powers works better without Danvers. Ms. Marvel had energy powers, so you're left explaining that Rogue absorbed someone's powers so hard that she took them permanently, but some were left out for some reason.

I think she only had strength, speed and flight when Rogue absorbed her powers. Unless I'm mistaken, Carol didn't get energy powers until she became Binary.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I want to find this tasteless, but I'm so fed up with the JFK coverage.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

I'm guessing this Kennedy's assassination will be the pivotal point that the ruined future will try to change?

quote:

Oswald was not Kennedy’s killer, Lehnsherr told the court. The true murderer was still at large, and “will very likely never be caught.” Lehnsherr refused to say more about the matter under cross-examination.

However, prosecutor Wein demanded that Lehnsherr demonstrate his mutant powers for the court. “If you seriously want people to believe you can alter the course of a bullet to save the president,” Wein said, “put your money where your mouth is. Prove it.”

Wein then presented a metal crow bar to Lehnsherr. To the shock of the audience, Lehnsherr easily twisted it using his mind. According to the court transcript, it took nearly five minutes for the court to return to order.

“It didn’t take long for that news to leak,” explains Fabienne Austen, author of X-Factor: How Mutants Shaped Our Lives and Laws. “This moment, more than any other, galvanized the nation regarding the X-Gene and mutants. Here (Lehnsherr) is, doing this unbelievable thing, being the person we all wish we could be. But because we weren’t him, we became afraid.”

Lehnsherr made his own closing argument. He insisted he was not guilty, and noted that no physical evidence linked him to the assassination.

“I did not shoot your president,” he told the jury. “But I know who did, and you’ll never find her. She has a way of hiding in plain sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I really hope it wasn't Mystique, because First Class made her a million times more sympathetic than any other medium she's appeared in.

• Locked thread