Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

OGS-Remix posted:

When you say stack, you mean if your squad is running all different perks, they all work for everyone. But if 3 people have the +explosives perk, you don't suddenly get to carry 4x the amount of grenades right?
I meant your squad perks stack for you (stage 1-4) but I don't recall if there's any team abilities. If there are I would assume they stack too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Ahhh I see. So unlike in 3, you don't have those perks all the time now. You have to earn them through the squad leader setting attack/defend objectives. I always wondered why it kept telling me I was last alive on my squad.

Some of these seem a bit... underwhelming in that case. For the engineer, it'll let me carry 6 explosives or whatever, but only after the squad earns that perk, and only if someone in the squad is always alive?

To be more precise, you will always have the Level 1 perk. It's not just attack/defend orders either, its all squad bonus scores (squad spawn, squad spot, squad assist, squad savior/avenger, etc, etc, etc) but attack/defend orders are obviously the best way to level it.

They're also personal, meaning 1) only squad points YOU earn will level up your perks and 2) the perks themselves aren't shared. So say someone is running the Offence tree and has level 2 (which gives more ammo) and you're running the Anti-tank tree at level 2 (which gives you more rockets). You'll still have the default ammo pool and the other guy will still have the default rockets.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Shima Honnou posted:

Watching it now, that was one of my favorite maps so I'll say if it looks familiar.

Fakeedit: it looks very vaguely similar insofar as there's a river, but it's not the same, definitely not the same.

Realedit: according to the hosts, it's some kind of "reimagining" of Dragon Valley.

It looks pretty, though. And so does Guilin Peaks. But what the hell, all US v CN maps and no The Bear and the Dragon RU v CN love? :(

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Carecat posted:

Any sign of a cheap premium in the sales?

Nope. It wouldn't let me use a 5$ coupon I had for origin either that I got from the Slim Jim BF4 promotion. I ended up using a Best Buy reward zone coupon for $10 on 2 $20 origin cards then paying the remainder amount.

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

I thought a squad wipe didn't totally reset your squad level to 1, but you lost your progress toward the next level. Am I mistaken?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Grey Fox V2 posted:

Yep. The benefits stack so your squad can get some insane perks if they work together and stay alive.

:what:

I thought perks are for each individual player.
You're saying that if 3 engineers roll with anti-tank and earn the rockets perk, every single one of them will have 18 rockets on them? I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Captain Matchbox posted:

The game should detect if your primary is a sniper rifle when you enter an air vehicle to ditch on a roof and just blow it up with you inside instead

I taken to figuring out how to bail out of my jet to steal an abandoned jet mid-air so them doing this is fine by me.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

mcbexx posted:

:what:

I thought perks are for each individual player.
You're saying that if 3 engineers roll with anti-tank and earn the rockets perk, every single one of them will have 18 rockets on them? I'm pretty sure that's not the case.

Kibayasu posted:

To be more precise, you will always have the Level 1 perk. It's not just attack/defend orders either, its all squad bonus scores (squad spawn, squad spot, squad assist, squad savior/avenger, etc, etc, etc) but attack/defend orders are obviously the best way to level it.

They're also personal, meaning 1) only squad points YOU earn will level up your perks and 2) the perks themselves aren't shared. So say someone is running the Offence tree and has level 2 (which gives more ammo) and you're running the Anti-tank tree at level 2 (which gives you more rockets). You'll still have the default ammo pool and the other guy will still have the default rockets.

So to summarize, be a team player. And if you are squad leader, set objectives for your squad so everyone benefits.

And speaking of setting objectives, the commander objectives need to be redone. I know the thread has talked about it before, but I really need to stress how dumb it is that the squad leader needs to accept the order. I bet 99% of them don't even know how to do it. It should've just been like MAG for the ps3 where the commander can set a point on the map and everyone on your team gets bonus points if they do anything in the area. Balance bonus points accordingly.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 26, 2013

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"
I didn't see any map-design similarities between BF4 Dragon Pass and BF2 Dragon Valley.
I don't like how open Altai Range is, it sort of reminds me of an Armored Kill map. Not enough cover around.
Silk Road could be fine. It's on the small side, but that's not always a negative.
Guilin Peaks looks fun and reminded me of a BC2 Vietnam map.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Shima Honnou posted:

Field upgrades are basically squad perks that you get for doing squad things with your squad, at each level you unlock some (usually minor) bonus. If everyone in the squad dies the upgrades are reset to zero.

Most people don't actually get any field upgrades because most squads and squad leaders do gently caress all together/never assign a place to attack or defend.
You only lose one bar, not get reset to zero when you wipe.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Danthrax posted:

I've been leveling up sniper rifles in hardcore rush servers. Anybody else ever get a double kill with one M40 bullet? It's happened a couple of times to me, I'll fire at a dude and hit the guy behind him too, probably as he's spawning. Multikill bonus, marksman, :clint: etc. Can that happen on normal too? I haven't really sniped in normal mode.

Also Shadowplay comes with newer Nvidia cards, right? Is there a decent recording software for those of us with AMD cards?

Yeah you can shoot though people on normal provided they are close enough to each other. Shot one guy in the head and it busted through his buddy's chest as well!

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
So I opened a battlepack and got a thing I thought was paint, but is actually CAMO. I'm not aware of any CAMO customization options :confused:

Umberger
Jan 24, 2010

Snazzy Frocks posted:

So I opened a battlepack and got a thing I thought was paint, but is actually CAMO. I'm not aware of any CAMO customization options :confused:

I think the camos are for your character and weapon, whereas paints are just for vehicles.

SAMARIX
Jul 8, 2013

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Camouflage goes onto your solider while paint goes onto guns/vehicles. In-game when you're customizing your kit, the camouflage option is at the bottom.

SAMARIX fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 26, 2013

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Where is my Dr Pepper camo from BF3? poo poo was awesome :getin:

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Under loadout, there's a camo option for your soldier. It's....not very useful since it only colors some bits and pieces, but it's there. Also, a lot of the camo ends up looking very similar.

Serious question: Why is :dice: making sniper maps all of a sudden? loving rogue transmission has exactly zero cover, same with lancang, and half the new maps look just about as barren. The points are kind of built up, but anywhere outside the immediate point you've got a dozen wookies covering the completely cover-less space. Rogue transmission is just intraversible outside of MRAPs/Tanks (that get sniped by SRAWs/Javs), flood zone inevitably ends up with half the server competing over the tallest rooftops and raining poo poo down on anyone dumb enough to play the flags, Lancang ends up with random snipers on the hills and dam. At best, it's annoying and at worst it costs you the round. I can't count how many times I would see our team pushed to the UCB while a dozen or more of our players would be happily clusterfucked on some roof or ledge.

Out of the original maps in BF3, the most sniper-friendly ones were Firestorm and Caspian, and even those maps were much tougher to snipe on than rogue transmission, for example. There was continous cover, blocked sightlines, and good flag to flag traffic-neither lancang nor rogue has either.

On a side note, I went back to using normal guns and holy poo poo what :stare: After running around with "fun" setups like DMRs and Frag shotguns, it turns out that loading up an assault rifle gives me the ability to utterly poo poo on entire squads at will. And the FAMAS is a loving hilarious buzzsaw. The mag size/ROF mix is a pretty bad limiter, but holy poo poo is it hilarious to chop through a bunch of people at 1000 RPM. BRRRRRRRT, next.

Naturally Selected fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Nov 26, 2013

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Danthrax posted:

I've been leveling up sniper rifles in hardcore rush servers. Anybody else ever get a double kill with one M40 bullet? It's happened a couple of times to me, I'll fire at a dude and hit the guy behind him too, probably as he's spawning. Multikill bonus, marksman, :clint: etc. Can that happen on normal too? I haven't really sniped in normal mode.

Also Shadowplay comes with newer Nvidia cards, right? Is there a decent recording software for those of us with AMD cards?

Not with a M40, no. But I am pretty sure sniper rifle bullets simply go through players without stopping until they hit the environment.

The first time it happened for me, I was in Dawnbreaker trying to lead a moving target (with SRR-61). Hit him once, then noticed someone spawned next to him, and immediately shot that guy in the head. It hit the first guy, who was running in front of the second, before killing the latter.

More interestingly, if you kill someone holding a grenade with a pulled pin, when the grenade drops to the ground, it counts as your grenade and will grant you kills. In a match of Operation Locker, I found myself shooting at a guy leading a conga line, scoring two SRR-61 headshots and three M67 kills with one bullet.

Naturally Selected posted:

Serious question: Why is :dice: making sniper maps all of a sudden?

Rogue Transmission is my favorite map. And while yeah, it's very easy to snipe in it, particularly due to the amount of snipers, I've never had a problem actually playing the game in it. Snipers are extremely easy to deal with, and more often than not they end up getting farmed by whoever controls the point that spawns the attack helicopter, as the map has no MAA and good jet pilots are few and far between.

Same with Flood Zone. Scout Helicopters, no MAA, and enough cover that even a large amount of Engineers using AA launchers against you won't give you that much trouble. Free sniper kills everywhere. The middle of Flood Zone is one of my favorite locations for infantry play due to the sheer amount of cover and flanking routes available to you. It's the one map where I can reliably get 30+ kills without moving more than 50 meters in any direction.

Also, I will admit that the one time I saw a truly good sniper in Rogue Transmission, infantry combat was a lot more annoying as a result. Thankfully my team caught on and kept driving MRAPs or whatever those things are called to root him out.

Edit: Sniping in Lancang Dam is absolute poo poo. I've never seen anyone complain about snipers in it. All the points other than C offer heavy cover and nobody bothers staying in C as they quickly become food for attack boats and IFVs.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Nov 26, 2013

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Under loadout, there's a camo option for your soldier. It's....not very useful since it only colors some bits and pieces, but it's there. Also, a lot of the camo ends up looking very similar.

Serious question: Why is :dice: making sniper maps all of a sudden? loving rogue transmission has exactly zero cover, same with lancang, and half the new maps look just about as barren. The points are kind of built up, but anywhere outside the immediate point you've got a dozen wookies covering the completely cover-less space. Rogue transmission is just intraversible outside of MRAPs/Tanks (that get sniped by SRAWs/Javs), flood zone inevitably ends up with half the server competing over the tallest rooftops and raining poo poo down on anyone dumb enough to play the flags, Lancang ends up with random snipers on the hills and dam. At best, it's annoying and at worst it costs you the round. I can't count how many times I would see our team pushed to the UCB while a dozen or more of our players would be happily clusterfucked on some roof or ledge.

Out of the original maps in BF3, the most sniper-friendly ones were Firestorm and Caspian, and even those maps were much tougher to snipe on than rogue transmission, for example. There was continous cover, blocked sightlines, and good flag to flag traffic-neither lancang nor rogue has either.

On a side note, I went back to using normal guns and holy poo poo what :stare: After running around with "fun" setups like DMRs and Frag shotguns, it turns out that loading up an assault rifle gives me the ability to utterly poo poo on entire squads at will. And the FAMAS is a loving hilarious buzzsaw. The mag size/ROF mix is a pretty bad limiter, but holy poo poo is it hilarious to chop through a bunch of people at 1000 RPM. BRRRRRRRT, next.

Yea I've noticed this as well. poo poo is ridiculous sometimes if there's a couple good recons camped out.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Serious question: Why is :dice: making sniper maps all of a sudden?

Because we now have the tools to dislodge every moron who believes the top of a building is an untouchable island. XM25s and Mortars are two of the best things in the game specifically because you can gently caress over roof campers and kings of the mountains in seconds rather than let them go 0-0 on top of a tower.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I don't snipe well but give me a rooftop and an AR with a FLIR on it and all the enemies will either be spotted or dead.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
How many China Rising maps will be broken and unplayable a month after release? I've still never completed a conquest round on Dawnbreaker or Shanghai.

Sniping snipers with the SRAW is also incredibly fun. Just point at their super scope glint and strafe sideways so they can't hit you. I killed one nest of snipers about 3 times in a match on the hotel resort map before they finally found somewhere else to go.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Bob NewSCART posted:

Yea I've noticed this as well. poo poo is ridiculous sometimes if there's a couple good recons camped out.

The flipside of it, too, is that I love playing recon/sniper/squad marksman. In BF3, even being a useful sniper was fun because it was challenging: finding the right spot to support an assault, getting behind enemy lines, finding unobstructed sightlines on objectives, etc. In 4, you set up and immediately cover 50% of the map, but you are pretty much guaranteed not to see into the actual objective areas no matter where you go, D at Rogue notwithstanding. So either you play an at-best annoying wookie unable to cover the actual flags, or you have to run a 3.4x and hope no one has defensive spec on.

Lazyfire posted:

Because we now have the tools to dislodge every moron who believes the top of a building is an untouchable island. XM25s and Mortars are two of the best things in the game specifically because you can gently caress over roof campers and kings of the mountains in seconds rather than let them go 0-0 on top of a tower.

Not really. Even most brain-dead wookies have learned to get the gently caress off the ledge the minute the first airburst goes off. And a lot of times, mortars can't reach the rooftops.

Tommy 2.0
Apr 26, 2008

My fabulous CoX shall live forever!

BadLlama posted:

Anything that can gently caress over all the turds constantly on roof tops "contributing" to their team by sniping is fine by me.

I agree, but for snipers that are actually contributing this is dumb.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Tommy 2.0 posted:

I agree, but for snipers that are actually contributing this is dumb.

You really can't put the words "Snipers" and "contributing" in the same sentence unless it is "Snipers contributing nothing" or "Snipers contributing kills to the other team."

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Liberatore posted:

Rogue Transmission is my favorite map. And while yeah, it's very easy to snipe in it, particularly due to the amount of snipers, I've never had a problem actually playing the game in it. Snipers are extremely easy to deal with, and more often than not they end up getting farmed by whoever controls the point that spawns the attack helicopter, as the map has no MAA and good jet pilots are few and far between.

There is an MAA, it spawns at the capture point under the dish - I can't remember if it's both in Conquest and Conquest large.

*Edit - I think it's at the point in Conquest, and that both teams get their own in Large.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

I don't snipe well but give me a rooftop and an AR with a FLIR on it and all the enemies will either be spotted or dead.

On the flip side I don't do the sniper camping all that well...especially in normal servers with kill cams. I prefer to be moving and on ground level as a sniper. Post up and get a couple kills and then move some so you can snipe the guys you JUST sniped as they look for you. I can't sit on a roof and snipe...its boring and after a couple kills you are just waiting to get sniped.

Lazyfire posted:

You really can't put the words "Snipers" and "contributing" in the same sentence unless it is "Snipers contributing nothing" or "Snipers contributing kills to the other team."

Eh unless they are more like myself and don't spend the whole game sitting on a roof. On 90% of games I am in I usually lead the team in anti-vehicle kills with my C4. The only thing rooftops are good for are spawn points in Rush.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

fknlo posted:

Sniping snipers with the SRAW is also incredibly fun. Just point at their super scope glint and strafe sideways so they can't hit you. I killed one nest of snipers about 3 times in a match on the hotel resort map before they finally found somewhere else to go.

The SRAW is an awesome anti-sniper tool. It also infuriates snippermans to no end

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Hamburger Test posted:

There is an MAA, it spawns at the capture point under the dish - I can't remember if it's both in Conquest and Conquest large.

*Edit - I think it's at the point in Conquest, and that both teams get their own in Large.

Weird, I've never noticed. Then again I'm usually not flying in that map, but I've never been shot by active radar missiles the moment I take off with the attack helicopter, which would be expected given the extremely exposed position it spawns in. I do know it's one of those maps that has the AI controlled AA gun in each base.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

OssiansFolly posted:

Eh unless they are more like myself and don't spend the whole game sitting on a roof. On 90% of games I am in I usually lead the team in anti-vehicle kills with my C4. The only thing rooftops are good for are spawn points in Rush.

If you're running around C4ing stuff, you no longer count as a sniper.

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

I love to play as commander on Zavod if our team gets the cruise missile flag. So many roof sniper kills.

Speaking of Zavod, everyone should try shotgun-wizball recon on it. Works far better than I expected.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Is there any way to turn down the opacity on just the HUD flags? I want to keep the minimap and spotting icons the same while removing the giant loving glowing thing on my screen when I'm looking at a flag.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Ravenfood posted:

Is there any way to turn down the opacity on just the HUD flags? I want to keep the minimap and spotting icons the same while removing the giant loving glowing thing on my screen when I'm looking at a flag.

Not really, but you can scale down the hud which is very helpful to avoid the huge IN YOUR FACE icons everywhere.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
I have premature trigger finger for C4. I kill myself so many times rather than risk being killed before pulling the detonator.

Cal Worthington
Oct 8, 2013

Serious business.

WastedJoker posted:

I have premature trigger finger for C4. I kill myself so many times rather than risk being killed before pulling the detonator.

Better to die by your own hand.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Lazyfire posted:

I wish. I had to yell at a sniper pilot in squad chat to not abandon the transport chopper while hovering over the pillar on Rogue Transmission the other night. The only time in the whole game he said anything in VOIP was "Don't tell me what to do" as he bailed on our full helicopter.

Sounds like he won that argument to be honest.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I tried the commander mode today. Boy did that feel phoned in.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Boiled Water posted:

It's pretty good on iPad. just wish it didn't autoalign to caps when placing the uav etc.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Boiled Water posted:

It's not that bad, in theory. It just relies far too much on people other than the commander actually doing things. Unlike BF2 where the commander has access to everything in their main base (which could be destroyed but also repaired) now all the really useful things are tied to control points, as well as squads actually having to accept orders (I'm pretty sure that wasn't a thing in BF2? You'd just tell them to do something.). So if you've got a lovely team of Pro Snipers or squad leaders that don't know the comm-rose exists, the commander isn't going to be able to do fuckall.

Frankly, the squad leaders shouldn't even have the choice to accept/decline orders. I'm the commander assholes, obeying my orders isn't an option!

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I know this is kind of a broad question but what is it that's so appealing to people about sniping and going 50/2 in a round but still losing because in reality they did dickall? Not just Battlefield but really loving any game. How doesn't it get horrendously boring to just sit in back doing nothing? I'd rather shoot mans with automatic weapons, blow up tanks, you know, contribute to the drat team even if my precious K/D isn't positive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Got to love rounds where you get dominated by the C130 because absolutely no one will do any of the million things that will kill it and then will complain about how OP it is in chat. Jesus Christ.

Tracula posted:

I know this is kind of a broad question but what is it that's so appealing to people about sniping and going 50/2 in a round but still losing because in reality they did dickall? Not just Battlefield but really loving any game. How doesn't it get horrendously boring to just sit in back doing nothing? I'd rather shoot mans with automatic weapons, blow up tanks, you know, contribute to the drat team even if my precious K/D isn't positive.

People get really mad when you kill them as a sniper. Like really mad.

• Locked thread