Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Advice posted:

Dellinger's high heels/cross dressing is also the perfect segue into Sanji's new Okama fighting style oh god just give it to us already Oda.

I really really hope we don't get page time given to fights for allies of the Strawhats. I could watch the crew get a hundred more fights each and not get bored of it, by contrast (Toriko spoilers) in the Century Soup arc of Toriko it was murder to sit through the yakuza guy's fight with a lackey of the main boss. I don't know why the author thought it would be interesting to introduce a new character out of the blue and have all his moves and fighting style basically be made up on the fly, as opposed to established characters developing new moves or introducing new ones. Then (admittedly I'm not caught up in Toriko) the drat guy never returns. Such a waste of chapters.

Yakuza dude is hella important and comes back multiple times. He is also a complete balla as previously mentioned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
God dammit I've been schooled. I will concede that he obviously played well with a lot of people. I'm not sure what turned me off so much about him.

Can we please just see the fights for this arc already? I haven't been this pumped for a crew vs crew fight since CP9. All of Dofla's crew mates are so god drat interesting.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

This Christmas I hope Oda treats himself to a lung transplant

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Shoren posted:

I hope we get a super :smug: Law face when it turns out that he had one of Mango's subordinate's hearts in his chest the entire time.

Next chapter is Mango dropping dead after he realized Law swapped their hearts during the fight :shepface:

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

NutritiousSnack posted:

Next chapter is Mango dropping dead after he realized Law swapped their hearts during the fight :shepface:

Nah, he swapped the bullets for marshmallows when Mango wasn't looking.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

NutritiousSnack posted:

now I don't know if I wanna see this more then an old school rear end beatin' from Monkey D

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Every fight against Law turns into a chapter of Death Note, where Law Yagami breaks all the rules to hilariously gently caress over his opponent in smug fashion.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Shinjobi posted:

Every fight against Law turns into a chapter of Death Note, where Law Yagami breaks all the rules to hilariously gently caress over his opponent in smug fashion.
Lawseph Trafstar :colbert:

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Well, he's in the New World already, now he just has to become god of it.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Cat Machine posted:

I'm going to guess that Dellinger's power is leg-related, so that will potentially be Sanji's match-up.

It seems to me that theyre just Monet's legs. Theyve got to be somewhere.

Chekhov's Legs

Clam Chowdown
May 8, 2006

That's an unacceptable answer, Donny!
Then where are Dellinger's legs?

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

Well, he's in the New World already, now he just has to become god of it.

Hush your mouth, that's Luffy role to fill

Law has become the designated (alternative) first mate.

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Nonbaka posted:

He probably wields them like swords that kick.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Nonbaka posted:

On some big dumb bird.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Monet got her legs swapped on Punk Hazard so they're probably in a pit with a bunch of animal bodies.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
How do those leg swaps work, anyway? When Kinemon was split, he could freely control his legs running around, even when they got "connected" to Luffy. They kept suplexing him against his will. But then the people with animal legs could control them while they were attached. If those are in fact Monet's legs and she's "dead" for the purposes of the story, would her legs even work anymore?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Could be that if he's connecting the "proper" body part where it's missing on the other person it serves as a replacement, while if you're just sticking stuff where it doesn't belong or keeping it completely separated it still acts like it's attached to the original owner.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

The only way it makes sense to me (not that it needs to, really) is if Law can connect them to work like they are your body, not just legs you stuck on your pants.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
I don't know if it's been mentioned before in this thread, but Law's power is the greatest argument yet for devil fruits being man-made. An "operating room" or "surgeon" isn't exactly a concept found in nature. Before there was at least a chance they were a natural part of the OP world, like maybe phoenixes really existed in that world and Marco's fruit was based on that.

I wonder how all this ties into the Void Century and the extreme superstition surrounding devil fruits. Vegapunk might be the only person left who knows what DFs really are.

Especially with the power seeming to transfer to the closest available fruit of that type when it's destroyed, it seems there might be some sort of extremely advanced technology involving an airborne virus or oh god where's the nanomachines guy he was right all along

Liar
Dec 14, 2003

Smarts > Wisdom

Advice posted:

I wonder how all this ties into the Void Century and the extreme superstition surrounding devil fruits. Vegapunk might be the only person left who knows what DFs really are.

Which just goes along with the idea of whatever chapter Vegapunk appearing in being the greatest information dump in the history of this series.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Advice posted:

I don't know if it's been mentioned before in this thread, but Law's power is the greatest argument yet for devil fruits being man-made. An "operating room" or "surgeon" isn't exactly a concept found in nature. Before there was at least a chance they were a natural part of the OP world, like maybe phoenixes really existed in that world and Marco's fruit was based on that.

Especially with the power seeming to transfer to the closest available fruit of that type when it's destroyed, it seems there might be some sort of extremely advanced technology involving an airborne virus or oh god where's the nanomachines guy he was right all along

Every Logia to date occurs naturally without life (you could get super technical with stuff like fire needing oxygen which was caused by life).

Every Zoan is literally a form of life.

Paramecias are things that can be man made, or not man made. Things like weight occur naturally, but other things do not. In most cases, I cannot think of many paramecia's that aren't based off something made by life.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Waterbed posted:

Every Logia to date occurs naturally without life (you could get super technical with stuff like fire needing oxygen which was caused by life).

Every Zoan is literally a form of life.

Paramecias are things that can be man made, or not man made. Things like weight occur naturally, but other things do not. In most cases, I cannot think of many paramecia's that aren't based off something made by life.

Tsuru's power hangs people out to dry like Laundry.

Sengoku turns into a giant super-powered Buddha Statue. (Zoan)

Bellamy turns into Springs and some other guy turn into Wheels. Kalifa into soap.

There's some weird ones.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
On a completely unrelated note while trying to see if there was a relation to Paramecia and life.

quote:

he Paramythia executions, also known as the Paramythia massacre (19–29 September 1943) was a combined Nazi and Cham Albanian war crime perpetrated by members of the 1st Mountain Division and the Muslim Cham militia in the town of Paramythia and its surrounding region, during the Axis occupation of Greece. 201 Greek villagers were murdered and 19 municipalities in the region of Paramythia were destroyed.

I wonder if the void century (where a large swath of countries were likely destroyed and rebuilt by the WG) has anything to do with devil fruits...

anime was right fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Nov 27, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Waterbed posted:

On a completely unrelated note while trying to see if there was a relation to Paramecia and life.

I wonder if the void century (where a large swath of countries were likely destroyed and rebuilt by the WG) has anything to do with devil fruits...

That's pretty :tinfoil:, considering that "Paramecia" is much more obviously and clearly derived from "Paramecium" instead of "Paramythia".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paramecium posted:

Paramecium (pron. parruh-MEE-cee-uhm, IPA ˌpærəˈmiːsiəm) is a genus of unicellular ciliate protozoa, commonly studied as a representative of the ciliate group. Paramecia are widespread in freshwater, brackish and marine environments, and are often very abundant in stagnant basins and ponds. Because some species are readily cultivated and easily induced to conjugate and divide, Paramecium has been widely used in classrooms and laboratories to study biological processes. Its usefulness as a model organism has caused one ciliate researcher to characterize it as the "white rat" of the phylum Ciliophora.[1]

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Probably just a coincidence, like how Oda didn't know that there was a sailing term called luffing.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Yeah it's very close to the word paramecium but then what do logia and zoan mean? Chances are he tried to go with gibberish for devil fruit types.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Advice posted:

Yeah it's very close to the word paramecium but then what do logia and zoan mean? Chances are he tried to go with gibberish for devil fruit types.

"Zoan" is, um, apparently a city in ancient Egypt? Or possibly a gay / lesbian dance club?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoan posted:

Zoan (Hebrew: Tso`an) was according to the Hebrew Bible, a city of Egypt in the eastern Nile delta. Numbers 13:22 says that it was built seven years after Hebron was built. Psalm 78:12,43 identifies the "field of Zoan" as where Moses performed miracles before Pharaoh to persuade him to release Israel from his service. The fields of Zoan are thus considered to be another name for the Land of Goshen. The city is also mentioned in Isaiah 19:11, 13, Isaiah 30:4 and Ezekiel 30:14.

The Greek Septuagint in all of these verses uses the Greek name Tanis; both Tanis and Tso'an are ultimately derived from the Egyptian name for Tanis, Djanet or Djan (Modern Arabic Tsan). This city was not actually built until ca. 1075 BC, however references to Zoan existing previously as early as the time of Abraham are taken to mean the old Hyksos capital at Avaris and the nearby Ramesside capital of Pi-Ramesses, about 25 km. from the site of Tanis. The mentions in Isaiah and Ezekiel certainly correspond with the later Tanis.

http://www.thezoan.com posted:

Zoan - Gay and Lesbian Video Dance Club In Phoenix

Phoenix Premiere Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgender Video Dance Club!

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 27, 2013

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Zoan is based on Zoanthropy, which refers to humans transforming into animals. It's also called Therianthropy.

Not sure about Logia but the wiki says this

quote:

The word "Logia" is a Greek word from New Testament scholarship that translates roughly as "sayings, utterances, oracles". It is surmised that given the kanji, this type of Devil Fruit is meant to represent an element of nature "speaking" with force; always with a destructive capacity.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Nov 27, 2013

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Logia as in -Logy as in Astrologia or Astrology.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

JosephWongKS posted:

That's pretty :tinfoil:, considering that "Paramecia" is much more obviously and clearly derived from "Paramecium" instead of "Paramythia".

I wouldn't necessarily rule it out. Sometimes it's difficult to discern what the actual romanization of certain Japanese words are unless the author actual writes it out in English (I'm looking at you, Yhwach). That being said, given the "human" nature of many paramecia-type devil fruits it seems possible that during the Void Century the paramecia-type was created artificially, perhaps derived from the logia-type devil fruits. So we'll likely never know if it's paramecia or paramythia until we learn of the origin of devil fruits, but as it stands, neither translation really has any actual correlation to how those kinds of devil fruit powers behave. I like the paramythia idea because that lets us theorycraft.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
The thing about those executions were: They were targeted at knowledgeable people, a few of them escaped, and the people who committed them were let go. A lot of those seeds make sense for the WG (defeat 19 kingdoms, the new ones form the WG).

I'm not saying it's "an exciting and extremely likely theory" but more it's just an interesting coincidence.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

RatHat posted:

Probably just a coincidence, like how Oda didn't know that there was a sailing term called luffing.

Luffy being named after luff is totally intentional though. Like, he's even mentioned it in the SBSes that that's the case, even if the actual pronunciation is butchered.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

Luffy being named after luff is totally intentional though. Like, he's even mentioned it in the SBSes that that's the case, even if the actual pronunciation is butchered.

Nah in the SBS he said it was a coincidence.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Isn't Paramythia the romanization that the official translations use?

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

So I've been waiting on the Omnibuses to catch up so I can purchase myself a full set of volumes. I just noticed they recently released a collection of 1 through 23. Anyone have any experience with this? It seems cool, but bad value? (~5$ per volume versus ~4$ per volume if you buy the 3-in-1 omnibuses).

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Xtanstic posted:

So I've been waiting on the Omnibuses to catch up so I can purchase myself a full set of volumes. I just noticed they recently released a collection of 1 through 23. Anyone have any experience with this? It seems cool, but bad value? (~5$ per volume versus ~4$ per volume if you buy the 3-in-1 omnibuses).

The One Piece Omnibuses compact the volumes to a significant degree. If you want it taking up less shelf space overall(and keep in mind the series is around 70 volumes currently) the omnibuses are the way to go. The first four that I have are of good quality and shrink the volumes contained by a significant amount.

Here's a comparison pic of 9 single volumes versus three omnibuses. It's a pretty significant size difference, nearly half the size!

If you want a snazzy box and don't have space issues, go with the boxed set. If you want easy to hold large collections that are cheaper and take up less space but might not be the most outwardly appealing, stick with the omnibuses.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Captain Invictus posted:

The One Piece Omnibuses compact the volumes to a significant degree. If you want it taking up less shelf space overall(and keep in mind the series is around 70 volumes currently) the omnibuses are the way to go. The first four that I have are of good quality and shrink the volumes contained by a significant amount.

Here's a comparison pic of 9 single volumes versus three omnibuses. It's a pretty significant size difference, nearly half the size!

If you want a snazzy box and don't have space issues, go with the boxed set. If you want easy to hold large collections that are cheaper and take up less space but might not be the most outwardly appealing, stick with the omnibuses.

What do they cut from the omnibuses to achieve that reduced size?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I think the paper's just thinner. It's not transparent or anything though, so it's probably worth taking the hit if shelf space is a concern.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

pandaK posted:

What do they cut from the omnibuses to achieve that reduced size?

It's slightly thinner paper and there's no bulk of the three volumes worth of covers + extra pages inside, which adds up when you multiply it by three.

The first four at least, that I own, are high quality and have withstood multiple readings by a bunch of different people with very little wear, so durability doesn't seem to be an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Isn't Paramythia the romanization that the official translations use?

The Finnish version does, at least.

• Locked thread