Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Thankfully the old-rear end computers in the library back then didn't even have sound cards, so I never had to deal with listening to the sounds this thing makes. Silence is definitely preferable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Portals
Apr 18, 2012

This audio is a beautiful disaster.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Let's Play Dos 6.2!!! yessssssss

next up config.sys and autoexec.bat

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Oh my god you're playing the whole thing using the PC speaker... the PC speaker is basically just designed to make beeps when something goes wrong or your bios doesn't boot! It can only play one note at a time...

soundblaster guys!!!! get Creative!

Bet you never heard an AWE32...

JFairfax fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 27, 2013

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

JFairfax posted:

Let's Play Dos 6.2!!! yessssssss

next up config.sys and autoexec.bat

DosBox is easy, you don't have to manage conventional memory, HMA, and choose between EMS or XMS while trying to run a CD-ROM game with your soundcard and mouse enabled.

Did the FILES= and BUFFER= lines really ever do anything?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
Yeah, you guys need to pick Sound Blaster Pro - hit the spacebar to move the selection in the setup menus. It sounds pretty nice running in my DOSBox, and Mario has voice clips and everything.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.
Oh my god yes, I never had this game but this is such a piece of poo poo. ...but this is still better than Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing, gently caress that bitch who doesn't exist :colbert:

I cannot wait for when you guys play Mario is Missing. Before anyone whines about it because it was on the NES, it came out on the PC FIRST, then got backported down to SNES and NES so it's gonna pop up a bit later in the series if these guys ever plan to do it.

I really hope that if you do, you play the PC version. It has everything :allears:
Also...there's a loving Typing of the Dead: Overkill?! ...are you loving serious? That's so awesome, holy poo poo this game AND IT HAS SHAKESPEARE DLC WHAT

But you have to change that audio thing to something other than PC Speaker in future updates okay? Never pick PC Speaker, that's like the cheapest basic thing.
Also did anyone notice that the sound made when Kyle clicked on the menu options sounded EXACTLY like the pause sound from Super Mario 64?

FinalGamer fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 27, 2013

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
okay, watching you use DOSBox mounting actually made me cringe.

the problem you were having in entering the mounting command is that any folder name longer then 8 charters requires a ~1 after the 6th letter. so Documents would be docume~1. ' are fine however.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Why the semicolon?!

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.
I don't think I've ever heard such a computerized cacophony, and I've got a CD with a track that consists of 300 baud modem noises. Ouch.

Keith is wrong, by the way; it is "New York" City. When the English got the colony from the Dutch they renamed the whole area New York after the Duke of York (who would later become James II). The city that grew up on Manhattan Island and environs was then named after the colony of New York.

Also, English didn't drop the ball on spelling zucchini. We imported it straight from Italian, so blame them.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN
I learned that two spaces after a period is apparently now wrong just two months ago. That was all I was taught through Highschool. I still instinctively added two spaces after every period in this post, but the forums automatically cut it down to one.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Pneub posted:

I learned that two spaces after a period is apparently now wrong just two months ago. That was all I was taught through Highschool. I still instinctively added two spaces after every period in this post, but the forums automatically cut it down to one.

If it makes you feel any better, nobody makes rules for English and people who genuinely get worked up over stuff like whether there should be one or two spaces after a full stop are silly. If you want to put two spaces in, just do it.

Eyre Kneed
Jul 1, 2008

Did you guys realize which sound card you should be using before you finished or not?

Reveilled posted:

If it makes you feel any better, nobody makes rules for English and people who genuinely get worked up over stuff like whether there should be one or two spaces after a full stop are silly. If you want to put two spaces in, just do it.

As far as I can tell, the only time the 2 spaces are required is when you're writing an official memorandum; any other time, it's just courtesy when typing in small print so sentences don't run together.

Eyre Kneed fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 27, 2013

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Reveilled posted:

Yeah uh I didn't even know there wasn't a wrong way until now, so I kinda feel a bit poo poo correcting a Spanish friend of mine on how one space after each period is wrong.

gently caress English.

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Oh wait. I still am.
This one space/two space thing has been bugging me, so I decided to look it up. Currently, the APA style guide says to use two spaces after periods that end a sentence and one space after others, Chicago Manual of Style prefers one, and MLA says it's up to personal choice. The main argument in favor of two spaces is readability, but that's more a matter of what you're used to.

Looking up the history, the two spaces thing began as an artifact of how books were printed before the end of the 19th century, when rigid spacing requirements caused extra space between sentences. As mechanical devices like Linotype machines and typewriters (both of which allow more variety in spacing than older printing systems) became popular two spaces began to fall out of use, at least partly because one space is faster and easier to type than two spaces. With computerized printing there are very few restrictions on spacing after sentences (and between words, letters, and lines, as well) and one space is taking over as the norm.

Finally, there was this exchange on the CMS FAQ:

quote:

Q. About two spaces after a period. As a US Marine, I know that what’s right is right and you are wrong. I declare it once and for all aesthetically more appealing to have two spaces after a period. If you refuse to alter your bullheadedness, I will petition the commandant to allow me to take one Marine detail to conquer your organization and impose my rule. Thou shalt place two spaces after a period. Period. Semper Fidelis.

A. As a US Marine, you’re probably an expert at something, but I’m afraid it’s not this. Status quo.

If there's a better argument in favor of one space, I don't know what it is.

Golden_Zucchini fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 27, 2013

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I'm a two spacer too

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Was this sponsored by Raisin Bran?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Mario Teaches Typing, now part of this complete breakfast.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

all the art is the antithesis of mario style art.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

When you're a kid writing a paper in school, sometimes you get desperate for ways to pad out space.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Golden_Zucchini posted:

Finally, there was this exchange on the CMS FAQ:

If there's a better argument in favor of one space, I don't know what it is.

A better argument in favor of one spacers being pedantic sissies, you mean? :colbert:

(I was taught the double-space style and still kinda prefer it, but I actually don't type that way anymore. I blame HTML, really.)

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

praise the ; \o/

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Oh wait. I still am.

Shintaro posted:

A better argument in favor of one spacers being pedantic sissies, you mean? :colbert:

(I was taught the double-space style and still kinda prefer it, but I actually don't type that way anymore. I blame HTML, really.)

I was taught one space so two space never sat well with me, but whatever. To each his own, I suppose.

Anyway, I almost forgot in all the spacing chat, but Mario moving through the bonus levels reminds me of how I always imagined the black guys in this move:

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

"Stop dot" made me laugh so hard I had to pause the video.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Sound Blaster, no pro.

The reason they don't want you to type words is that typists were originally working off of written words, so you can type faster if you type letter by letter.

edit: I really need to not live comment this. 1 word is 13 characters including spaces.

edit2: taking a typing class in 1994, I had the 2 spaces after a period drilled in to me so hard that it's the only way I can type now. Also, double spacing on a Blackberry adds a period to the end of the last word automatically. So live with my double spaces I guess?

Jonny Nox fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 27, 2013

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
I could have sworn this game sounded much better than this.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Man this was the only Mario game in my house for a long time (we were a Sega family before I bought a Nintendo 64 years later) but it was on a Mac so watching you fiddle with DOS both makes me go "heh, you plebs have to do it the hard way :smug:" and also "man the pc speaker kinda has some charm but at the same time you're missing out on some awesome faux-Italian accents"

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
QWERTY was made to speed people up, not slow them down.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/221/was-the-qwerty-keyboard-purposely-designed-to-slow-typists

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

Patter Song posted:

It absolutely did. This happens all the time with any kind of computer emulation, these things always wind up sounding like this even though they sounded perfectly fine when played on the proper platform.

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Toad's looking practically nightmarish on that title screen. I think he might be taxidermied. :ohdear:

e: if they kept the music output selection on pc speaker, it's no mystery that the game sounds like poo poo. pc speaker is the worst choice on that list.

Chicken Doodle
May 16, 2007

I am so glad you're playing this game. There's just one more that you need to cover, and then my childhood is complete. :allears:

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Gimbal lock posted:

Toad's looking practically nightmarish on that title screen. I think he might be taxidermied. :ohdear:

Every character looks nightmarish. They all look like strangers wearing their faces as masks.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007
From the looks of it, I'm assuming Nintendo gave them the license but zero art assets (or help regarding thereof). They all look like the sketchy versions of Disney (etc) characters you see painted on small childcare businesses.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
This is literally unwatchable because of the sound effects.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This video is much more difficult to watch than I expected;

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
Wow I do not remember mario teaches typing sounding so horrid.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Gimbal lock posted:

I knew I had seen that face before!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Patter Song posted:

It did. But if they pressed enter to get out of the menu without changing anything instead of spacebar to set a better music card, you get the pc speaker crap.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Why the semicolon?!

If you put your fingers on the default positions for ten-finger typing, they are on asdf jkl; for regular US keyboards. So that's the letters (and semicolon) they usually start training with.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Nov 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
The PC speaker is magical you fuckers with your fancy sound cards

• Locked thread