Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
This holiday season, you are thankful for strikers and their minor-action attacks to absorb the full brunt of the d20's wrath.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
You should also be thankful for Orokos, because it seems to love you.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
While I'm thinking of it, do I recognize any of the nonsense Fuller and friends are spouting from Twelve's last words?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, it's the words he was muttering just before his outburst.

Also: are you attacking Anodyne? Are you saying all Warforged look the same to you?

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Depends. Is Anodyne the guy at M21 using the same icon as all the other grunts? Let's pretend I attacked the guy to the south, didn't have CA, and did 4 less damage.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Thundarr, could you hit Fuller with a Force Grasp on your turn? That would give me CA so I could finish him off.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Sorry, too late. :( I don't think fuller is gonna make it to his next action if Jerac lands a solid hit though.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Korlac posted:

Popping Channeling Shield to negate 9 damage to Enna!

You've still got that Resistive Formula, too. Might be good to use it now before anyone else gets critted :ohdear:

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

A quintessential being known throughout the Realm as the 'Dungeon Master'. :rolldice:

Really Pants posted:

You've still got that Resistive Formula, too. Might be good to use it now before anyone else gets critted :ohdear:

Holy crap, didn't know about that!

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Just waiting on Enna's turn.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Just waiting on one of these pricks to give up CA :colbert:

Post later, coffee now.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The thug you are standing next to will be if you shift down and to the left!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Captain Walker where you at

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Congratulations Ghorma, I think beating the Hard DC by 5 lets you intimidate unconscious people.

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules
He will have night terrors for the rest of his life, or whatever the warforged equivalent would be.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Captain Walker posted:

Too bad I totally forgot about the Empowerment on my sword! Is it gone now?

Augment Energy is available until your next extended rest.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I only need two surges for the Infusions, so out of Enna, Ghorma, and Malakhad, one of you gets to keep a surge.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
That would be the paper-thin striker please and thank you. I only volunteered because I've been hit all of once; it hurt.

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules
E: Oops, meant to edit a post not quote it.

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

A quintessential being known throughout the Realm as the 'Dungeon Master'. :rolldice:

Really Pants posted:

I only need two surges for the Infusions, so out of Enna, Ghorma, and Malakhad, one of you gets to keep a surge.

Take both from me. That'll leave me with like 8 out of my 12.

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

I'm voting Central. I'm worried that our actions might bring retribution against the Watch and I'd like the full might of the Watch with us during the interrogation.

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules
Central seems like the wiser plan, I'm sure we can deal with anything along the way.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Central, with the understanding that it will take longer to get there and probably cause complications along the way.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Central works for me.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Complications, eh?

How do you guys feel about a skill challenge? I ask only because one of my previous IRL groups thought they were the worst thing ever.

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

Kurieg posted:

Complications, eh?

How do you guys feel about a skill challenge? I ask only because one of my previous IRL groups thought they were the worst thing ever.

I think they work best using the Obsidian Skill Challenge variant rule where basically you aren't penalized for failure but instead you need to match a total number of successes within a certain time frame. They use rounds in the rules variant but really those can be any measure of time (IE: Hours, days, etc...). The DCs are also better aligned in that system for relative party size and level. You don't have to use it verbatim, I've always used it as a template for how I compose my skill challenges, and I've never had any complaints.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I vote Tavek's. :colbert:

just playin', Central is fine

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother

How I Feel About Skill Challenges posted:

1: Pitch the problem to the PCs.
2: Let the PCs come up with a plan to deal with it. And off the wall plans aren't remotely a problem to deal with.
3: Evaluate their plan as a skill challenge and let them work through it, using the skill challenge structure as a framework for how many and how hard rolls to ask for to make for a satisfying scene. Treat each roll as a fail-forward piece of challenge resolution towards the greater plan.
If the challenge works like this I am ok with it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Korlac posted:

I think they work best using the Obsidian Skill Challenge variant rule where basically you aren't penalized for failure but instead you need to match a total number of successes within a certain time frame. They use rounds in the rules variant but really those can be any measure of time (IE: Hours, days, etc...). The DCs are also better aligned in that system for relative party size and level. You don't have to use it verbatim, I've always used it as a template for how I compose my skill challenges, and I've never had any complaints.

This was more or less how I was planning on doing it anyway, keep things open ended, let you describe what skills you're using and how, add bonuses/penalties depending on how you're using the skill in the situation.

Fake Edit:

What Walker said.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Thundarr, I'm guessing your +12 is the best Bluff score in the group? You'll have to execute my brilliant plan if it comes to that.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Being able to read your mark's mind grants a circumstance bonus to Bluff checks, right? :v:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Is this just regular holiday slowness, or are you guys waiting on me for more info?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I'm not really sure what we're meant to do next. :shobon:

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Well you still have to make your way past the prayer procession without the guards finding you. You can use stealth to try and sneak by, arcana to try and reinforce the wards that are keeping your prisoners docile for the time being, athletics to push through the crowd, intimidate to try and clear a path but that might draw some unwanted attention.

If you have any other suggestions or ideas go for it, unless you're planning to do something ridiculous like try and bluff them into thinking that you're the moon.

In which case also go for it.

Ovo
Dec 20, 2008

Life Rules
Sorry, I just finished a big job and came home to visit for Christmas. Will post more now that I am set up again!

Korlac
Nov 16, 2006

Kurieg posted:

If you have any other suggestions or ideas go for it, unless you're planning to do something ridiculous like try and bluff them into thinking that you're the moon.

In which case also go for it.

I tried to go a little outside the box just for entertainment value (And somehow ended up critting a History check). If you'd prefer a roll more inline with the skills you mentioned, just let me know (I can easily do an Arcane check).

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

No, you're fine Jerac.

Two seventeens and a twenty, you have found your way into some ancient Drakkari ruins, roll initiative to outrun the boulder trap you just triggered.

Kurieg fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Dec 18, 2013

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Clobbering a party member in a non-combat situation is probably the best use of Knockout I have seen.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
Well, the Rodney King usage is already covered by Ghorma and his everything.

E: So, Anodyne is down for at least a round, more if he doesn't save. Can he willingly not attempt to save against Knockout, because that would be super useful for working on getting the artifact out. Or as long as we're beating up our buddy Malakhad must have a way to penalize saves without doing damage.

Captain Walker fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jan 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

I'm loving this impromptu encounter that you've created for yourself.

• Locked thread