Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

Why they can't just do a stupid horde mode or something like every single other game made today is beyond me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erata
May 11, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
Sigh single player. The only good thing I'll say about it is that they at least made the effort to make it more like multiplayer by opening up the maps more and cutting down on the number of scripted sequences from 3. At least they didn't hide unlocks in a grindfest of repetitive co-op missions that were so boring, people used an exploit to grind the points faster by failing the final bombing mission on purpose.

What I really want to know is why they're afraid to make joke maps like RATS and have you fight in a series of giant-sized rooms and leveloutionize the map by blowing up the toilet, flooding the living room with swampy water and cereal boxes that can collapse and kill people in a mountain of crunchberries, and a rotating fan that blows aircraft off course or sucks them through the back.

...or at least bring back classic maps that aren't Wake Island, please no more Wake Island.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Regarding 32bit OS, i upgraded mine to 64 and all it took was my cdkey and a USB with windows on it. Will require a format, but that's nice once in a while.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Erata posted:

...or at least bring back classic maps that aren't Wake Island, please no more Wake Island.

Good news, they aren't (yet?).

They're bringing back Operation Metro. (Although it at least looks better than it was?)

slev
Apr 6, 2009

I swear half the time I point the heavy machinegun on the tank at someone standing still 20 feet away it will miss every shot.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

slev posted:

I swear half the time I point the heavy machinegun on the tank at someone standing still 20 feet away it will miss every shot.

You don't happen to be driving a T-90 when you notice this, do you?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

slev posted:

It throws tennis balls with the impact energy of large-caliber bullets. I have to lead like it's quake on dialup.

frunksock
Feb 21, 2002

Can anyone remind me what the gently caress we were doing here:

LCN
Jul 27, 2009
I'm terrible with jets. However I feel like the King of Syria with a massive penis when I get into the A-10 or it's similar counterparts for the other 2 commie bastard nations, and would love to learn how to pilot it properly. I use keyboard and mouse to control it, and by control I mean :regd08:

Is there a guide, or any divine pilots on the forums who could point out things to learn in piloting the jet? I'm restricted to the cockpit view only because I play only on HC servers. I like to see people actually die when getting shot at instead of absorbing a full mag and carrying on.

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
Bind spacebar to pitch up and you're good to go.

LordMaxxie
Oct 30, 2011

If any Aus/NZ goons who play BF4 haven't added me yet, feel free.
I'll be doing some stress testing on the server tomorrow. See here for more details. I will need basically everyone, a full server...

hreple
Feb 11, 2006
hardly

LCN posted:

I'm terrible with jets. However I feel like the King of Syria with a massive penis when I get into the A-10 or it's similar counterparts for the other 2 commie bastard nations, and would love to learn how to pilot it properly. I use keyboard and mouse to control it, and by control I mean :regd08:

Is there a guide, or any divine pilots on the forums who could point out things to learn in piloting the jet? I'm restricted to the cockpit view only because I play only on HC servers. I like to see people actually die when getting shot at instead of absorbing a full mag and carrying on.

Could I ask what bindings people run with @ mouse and keyboard? I have mouse to pitch and roll at the moment, but I'm not sure if that's what I want it to. Tried roll on keyboard, but that felt bad as well - everything feels bad in planes in bf4 - where I easily ruled the skies in bf3 for some reason. I could at least see my hud in bf3 though ... but still. There is something "off" with flying in bf4.

Ninjaedit - I've now tried EVERY "fix" there is - aka fooling around in the nvidia settings, setting non-border windows, priority to high - warp drive to max etc etc. gently caress you dice, this game is still soundloop-crashing. Sooner or later the game will crash on you if you're unlucky, whatever voodoo you throw at it, it seems.

hreple fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Nov 27, 2013

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

UoI posted:

I didn't think it would. Next paycheck I'll upgrade and buy this again, but until then I guess I'll just get Arma III. That should hold me over until then.

redweird posted:

Regarding 32bit OS, i upgraded mine to 64 and all it took was my cdkey and a USB with windows on it. Will require a format, but that's nice once in a while.
I *think* you can download a 64b version of any Windows version since Vista that you have a valid CD key for, for free.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

I don't have any soundloop crashes, but I do have a situation where I'm driving a vehicle, and the engine noise/ambient noise cuts out. Like I'm firing a gun, rotating a turret, dropping shells in a sound booth.

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS

LordMaxxie posted:

If any Aus/NZ goons who play BF4 haven't added me yet, feel free.
I'll be doing some stress testing on the server tomorrow. See here for more details. I will need basically everyone, a full server...

I'll add ya, I need origin friends

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Griz posted:

I found an invisible wall on one of the water-level ledges on Flood Zone the other day. I ran into someone and shot him 5 times with the shotgun while he emptied his pistol at me and neither of us took any damage, then I moved a bit closer to the edge and one-shot him.

There wasn't even any visible geometry or rubble there, it was just an invisible wall that blocked bullets but not movement.

Seriously what the hell is with the hit boxes of some geometry? I've been hosed several times shooting someone through rubble and just hit an invisible wall.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Here's an album of maps and pictures from the Gamespot China Rising preview.

http://imgur.com/a/DNfQd

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
Note that it's only Conquest on that Altai Range map and not CQ Large. Looks like there might be two more bases on the map that don't have control points on that version.

They also said in the video that there appeared to be more bases in the out-of-bounds area on the Obliteration version of Silk Road.

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder

DrPop posted:

Here's an album of maps and pictures from the Gamespot China Rising preview.

http://imgur.com/a/DNfQd
Looks like it'll be well suited for vehicles.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Smegmatron posted:

Kills on the board don't mean poo poo in terms of ticket count because the scoreboard doesn't tell you how many of your kills were revived.

If you enjoy sniping, snipe, but don't even for a minute try to pretend that you're doing anything for the team.

For every lovely, terrible, roof camping sniper there is an assault that absolutely will not use his defibs or drop health packs and a support who won't ever drop ammo. So yeah, I snipe, I'm fairly good at it, and I do more for my team than the garbage assaults and supports who never, ever use their items.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Lazyfire posted:

You really can't put the words "Snipers" and "contributing" in the same sentence unless it is "Snipers contributing nothing" or "Snipers contributing kills to the other team."

I had a 25 and 3 round the other day on Rogue transmission where I killed four tanks, and 19 other players on the flag I chose to hold down. Recapped the flag after it had been turned several times, and cleared the flag of "Bad Guys" a fair number of times as well. I'll grant you the average hill wookie is useless because they don't move... but when I snipe I'm all over the place.

Oh I also killed a few tanks by locking them with my binocs and getting random engies around the map easy shots :smugdog:

The binoculars are great for spotting everyone on the map too.

EDIT: My loadout right now is 8x scope/canted iron sights/straight pull which I've found to be pretty powerful in CQB provided I only run into 1-2 dudes at a time.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Tracula posted:

I know this is kind of a broad question but what is it that's so appealing to people about sniping and going 50/2 in a round but still losing because in reality they did dickall? Not just Battlefield but really loving any game. How doesn't it get horrendously boring to just sit in back doing nothing? I'd rather shoot mans with automatic weapons, blow up tanks, you know, contribute to the drat team even if my precious K/D isn't positive.

Because kills = weapon upgrades

Sniping isn't my favorite thing to do, but in order to "level" up my weapons I have to play these god awful roles with each freaking rifle to get each freaking attachment...

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ice Fist posted:

For every lovely, terrible, roof camping sniper there is an assault that absolutely will not use his defibs or drop health packs and a support who won't ever drop ammo. So yeah, I snipe, I'm fairly good at it, and I do more for my team than the garbage assaults and supports who never, ever use their items.
To be fair, the defibs are so nerfed that I could see someone making the case that the number of tickets saved by the defib is less than the potential number of enemy tickets lost by UBGLs. I disagree, but a grenadier-focused assault is totally valid and there's not necessarily a reason to assume that every assault will be carrying a defib now. Dropping healthpacks and ammo, though, is unforgivable. There's no reason not to have healthpacks/bags or the ammo bag in your loadout.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"
Last 6 Gold Battlepacks? 1 x 50% boost and 6 x 25% boosts. I've never seen a 200% doubting they exist now.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
If I'm not dropping packs or ammo then I'm just going to play engineer. At least then I have a stinger or rpg to help the team. The PP-2000 is so good, I'm surprised more people don't use it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Ice Fist posted:

If you're sniping and don't drop a tugs everywhere, throw wizard balls at the slightest bit of movement, and/or use the binoculars to help spot dudes/help engineers lock onto vehicles, then you're playing recon wrong. Hill wooking is pretty boring but running around and making Doritos pop up for everyone while occasionally killing someone is the way to go. Just slap an acog with canted irons onto something and run around being a team player. You don't need a powerful scope, you'd be surprised at how many snipers you can counter snipe from 200m away with just an acog.

Also funny story, I was running around with my binoculars out instead of a pistol and accidentally ran up on a guy. I proceeded to look at him really hard as he shot me.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Ice Fist posted:

People being bad at other classes and just shooting people make the same contribution to the team as a sniper; killing people. People being mediocre with other classes and killing a few people while reviving and resupplying is infinitely more useful. The difference is that dudes who literally never revive/heal/resupply/repair are a strawman based on a very old stereotype and the latter is more common and annoying than herpes. Even if those dudes did exist, at least they retain the option of being useful when they pull their heads out of their asses and learn to play their class properly. Snipers don't.

Like I said, if you enjoy sniping then do it and have fun. While doing it though, don't ever even begin to try to pretend that you're making any sort of contribution to the team. It's a self-centered role which does nothing but pad egos, KDRs, and my XM25 and heli stats.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Wow, only $49.95 for 5 gold battlepacks!

http://halfbakedheroes.net.au/index.php?/store/product/161-battlefield-4-gold-battlepack-5-pack-bundle/

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

DanrewS posted:

God yes they do, that is the best part of playing recon with a sniper rifle. It was even better back in bad company 2 when you could snipe from a bush miles away reliably hitting people and they had zero clue what direction the shot came from.

Sneaking a radio beacon into the enemy half of the map on Operation Locker / Obliteration mode is the most amazingly scuzzy thing, especially in hardcore. There should be a ribbon for shooting people in the back, I'd have hundreds.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Can someone explain to me in easier terms what precisely the advantages are of the Compensator/Muzzle brake over the heavy barrel? I know the latter is old hat now that it isn't the BEST ATTACHMENT EVER, but the fact that it actually increases accuracy (albeit with a muzzle rise penalty) still makes me think it's superior to comp/MB. Specifically, since the comp and MB just reduce climb or drift, what is it they do that the player can't do with just smart recoil management? And the penalty to automatic fire (can someone explain exactly what that means?) turns me off of them, too.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

JAssassin posted:

The PP-2000 is so good, I'm surprised more people don't use it.

It is a good gun, unfortunately for PDWs, Carbines are excellent. My AK5C has almost 1k kills. The MP7 is good and I want to unlock the Val as I liked that weapon in BF3.

Spanish Manlove posted:

If you're sniping and don't drop a tugs everywhere, throw wizard balls at the slightest bit of movement, and/or use the binoculars to help spot dudes/help engineers lock onto vehicles, then you're playing recon wrong.

I play recon in domination. The Tugs/wizz balls are incredible with a good squad. Good recon's should be spotting so that their team mates are not getting surprised. Doing this, they amplify the effectiveness of their team. Identifying enemies is the recon's ammo/med pack. The points for it are not fantastic though. You should get a 10pt score for just spotting someone to encourage more of it.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Smegmatron posted:

People being bad at other classes and just shooting people make the same contribution to the team as a sniper; killing people. People being mediocre with other classes and killing a few people while reviving and resupplying is infinitely more useful. The difference is that dudes who literally never revive/heal/resupply/repair are a strawman based on a very old stereotype and the latter is more common and annoying than herpes. Even if those dudes did exist, at least they retain the option of being useful when they pull their heads out of their asses and learn to play their class properly. Snipers don't.

Like I said, if you enjoy sniping then do it and have fun. While doing it though, don't ever even begin to try to pretend that you're making any sort of contribution to the team. It's a self-centered role which does nothing but pad egos, KDRs, and my XM25 and heli stats.

You are objectively wrong.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

JAssassin posted:

I don't know how much the fighting game community and the BF4 community intermingle, but hey, if you like Skullgirls, I whipped up a couple of emblems based on the little icons Filia, Peacock and Squigly have near their health bar in game.

All of them are twenty layers or less so they can be used by anyone. They're on the spreadsheet if you want to use them. If anyone wants anything specific done, I'd be happy to give it a shot. :)

This is awesome and you are awesome

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

hreple posted:

Could I ask what bindings people run with @ mouse and keyboard? I have mouse to pitch and roll at the moment, but I'm not sure if that's what I want it to. Tried roll on keyboard, but that felt bad as well - everything feels bad in planes in bf4 - where I easily ruled the skies in bf3 for some reason. I could at least see my hud in bf3 though ... but still. There is something "off" with flying in bf4.

Ninjaedit - I've now tried EVERY "fix" there is - aka fooling around in the nvidia settings, setting non-border windows, priority to high - warp drive to max etc etc. gently caress you dice, this game is still soundloop-crashing. Sooner or later the game will crash on you if you're unlucky, whatever voodoo you throw at it, it seems.

For me its that the jets are too fast compared to BF3 and the controls too twitchy - the 20mm cannon for the stealth jets is also grossly underpowered. Why yes, I would love to plink away at an enemy jet so five seconds of fire on target knocks off only 30 damage.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Smegmatron posted:

Ugh, you've missed like every post I've made in the subject apparently because I've mentioned like ~6 times that good sniping != sitting on a hill zoomed to 40x. My whole point is that snipers can be very useful to a team if they know what they're doing and are far more useful than the other classes who don't know how to use their classes.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

DrPop posted:

Can someone explain to me in easier terms what precisely the advantages are of the Compensator/Muzzle brake over the heavy barrel? I know the latter is old hat now that it isn't the BEST ATTACHMENT EVER, but the fact that it actually increases accuracy (albeit with a muzzle rise penalty) still makes me think it's superior to comp/MB. Specifically, since the comp and MB just reduce climb or drift, what is it they do that the player can't do with just smart recoil management? And the penalty to automatic fire (can someone explain exactly what that means?) turns me off of them, too.

In short, the muzzle brake reduces the upward recoil whereas the compensator reduces the horizontal one. In return, they both lower the base accuracy of your gun, i.e. how far the bullets will deviate from what you're aiming at (this is most noticeable during long bursts, which is what the 'automatic fire' bit in the battlelog refers to). So yes, if you can manually compensate for the recoil, the heavy barrel is generally the smarter choice. That is unless your gun is already accurate enough to begin with (like many DMRs, for example), then you're probably better off with a silencer or a flash hider.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.

Ice Fist posted:

Ugh, you've missed like every post I've made in the subject apparently because I've mentioned like ~6 times that good sniping != sitting on a hill zoomed to 40x. My whole point is that snipers can be very useful to a team if they know what they're doing and are far more useful than the other classes who don't know how to use their classes.

Snipers kill people. That is the grand total of their contribution to a team. Every other class does that too, and then some.

See the difference?

Perestroika posted:

In short, the muzzle brake reduces the upward recoil whereas the compensator reduces the horizontal one. In return, they both lower the base accuracy of your gun, i.e. how far the bullets will deviate from what you're aiming at (this is most noticeable during long bursts, which is what the 'automatic fire' bit in the battlelog refers to). So yes, if you can manually compensate for the recoil, the heavy barrel is generally the smarter choice. That is unless your gun is already accurate enough to begin with (like many DMRs, for example), then you're probably better off with a silencer or a flash hider.

They don't affect base accuracy. The first shot you fire with a brake/compensator will be as accurate as if you didn't have one. Every shot after that will be 33% less accurate, though.

Smegmatron fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Nov 27, 2013

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

DrPop posted:

There's a chart somewhere out there that shows the effective accuracy of the guns with the attachments. Assuming perfect recoil control, the heavy barrel falls behind the compensator after as little as three shots with some weapons because their horizontal recoil is so large (and not directional, so it can't easily be compensated for). Also, the hbar only helps standing ADS accuracy, as far as I can tell. It has no effect of moving ADS accuracy, so if you like shooting on the move, all you're getting with the hbar is increased vertical recoil. If you burst-fire, use guns with low horizontal recoil, tend to fire while still, and can compensate well for vertical recoil, hbar is the better choice. Otherwise, you want a compensator, since the muzzle brake has almost no positive effect.

What the penalty for automatic fire does is increase the amount of bloom added per shot. If your gun has a high rate of bloom reduction (like the SAR-21) you'll see less of a penalty for using the compensator than with other guns.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

There's a chart somewhere out there that shows the effective accuracy of the guns with the attachments. Assuming perfect recoil control, the heavy barrel falls behind the compensator after as little as three shots with some weapons because their horizontal recoil is so large (and not directional, so it can't easily be compensated for). Also, the hbar only helps standing ADS accuracy, as far as I can tell. It has no effect of moving ADS accuracy, so if you like shooting on the move, all you're getting with the hbar is increased vertical recoil. If you burst-fire, use guns with low horizontal recoil, tend to fire while still, and can compensate well for vertical recoil, hbar is the better choice. Otherwise, you want a compensator, since the muzzle brake has almost no positive effect.

What the penalty for automatic fire does is increase the amount of bloom added per shot. If your gun has a high rate of bloom reduction (like the SAR-21) you'll see less of a penalty for using the compensator than with other guns.

I see. I usually run the AKU-12 in maps with more open spaces and find myself bursting and standing still pretty frequently, so I'll keep the HBAR on that I guess (+ AFG). The compensator sounds good for something like the MTAR in closer fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Ninja fetus posted:

Looks like it'll be well suited for vehicles.

gently caress this I'm out!

Anyone else now crashing every time on Paracel Storm when it starts to rain? God loving drat it.

Longpig Bard fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Nov 27, 2013

• Locked thread