Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sovietski
Jun 19, 2011

Cocktail King since 1922

SaucyLoggins posted:

I really, really wanted to like Flood Zone. I love the concept and the aesthetic. It just gets so drat frustrating to move around. Those zig zag ramp stairs all over just get so frustrating running up all the time and the map is horrible about small obstructions that get you stuck while moving around. The levelution makes the problem 10x worse. Nothing is more frustrating than clipping on an object under water that you can't see.

I find your best bet on flood zone post-moistening is to just stick to the roof. In Rush it'll flood right as you get out of the park, so you should be pushing up to the MCOMs on higher ground at that point anyway.

On an unrelated note, drat this game is fun but holy hell I have load times that sometimes stretch up to five or six minutes. Makes me miss the first sortie of basically every map. Is it time to upgrade to solid state memory or is this just more :dice:?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

K8.0 posted:

I'm considering buying BF4 and I have some questions for you brave early adopters. Does BF4 feel like a more skillful game than BF3? Or is it more of the same unbelievably laggy, weapons are inaccurate while moving garbage where gun fights are more about numbers than player skill? Is it easier to actually play with friends/is there any goon pubstomping presence? I feel really doubtful about this game and it seems like technically it's an even bigger mess than BF4. I'm really jonesing for a new FPS, though, so it's tempting.

I would say it's a better game overall than bf3, although it has some some bad issues that should be fixed soon. If you are jonesing for a new shooter then you should absolutely get it.

The infantry combat is really nice, they have tweaked the movement and shooting so it feels really satisfying. They have also balanced the infantry vs vehicle combat so that engies have a whole load of cool launchers.

I'd go for it.

the pole or the dole
May 21, 2009
Planting C4 around and detonating them with the MAV equipment zap is great fun, though the C4 seems to have a smaller explosive radius or something when you detonate them like that, I can't say for sure but it really feels like it does. :(

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Mad Pills posted:

Planting C4 around and detonating them with the MAV equipment zap is great fun, though the C4 seems to have a smaller explosive radius or something when you detonate them like that, I can't say for sure but it really feels like it does. :(

ooooh, nice idea!

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
I feel at times air power is a little weak. I've never been able to fly in this game, but in the original BF1942 I remember planes in the hands of capable pilots were near unstoppable since flak cannons were the only reliable counter, and even then a good pilot knew the proper attack approaches against emplaced guns. I will say that in maps where there is no AA-Tank and capable pilot can still really be good, but I haven't been seeing any of the matches from BF3 where you would have a pilot who went something like 90-4 a match because he fires rockets against marked targets from space.

A couple good matches from last night with fellow [GiP] players.
Mostly [GiP] members on other team due to auto-balance
Cyrogenic Jesus
Stolen RCB

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 29, 2013

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So, uh, kind of a weird question here: When I look at the 'Soldier' page in Battlelog, it tells me that I own both BF4 and China Rising (the little icons underneath the name), but to my knowledge I've only bought vanilla BF4 without any expansions. Is that just a display bug due to the shenanigans with the early release of the assignments, or did I get the digital deluxe edition without noticing (I preordered from Greenmangaming, for what it's worth)? Is there some way to doublecheck?

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

Perestroika posted:

So, uh, kind of a weird question here: When I look at the 'Soldier' page in Battlelog, it tells me that I own both BF4 and China Rising (the little icons underneath the name), but to my knowledge I've only bought vanilla BF4 without any expansions. Is that just a display bug due to the shenanigans with the early release of the assignments, or did I get the digital deluxe edition without noticing (I preordered from Greenmangaming, for what it's worth)? Is there some way to doublecheck?

The "deluxe edition" or whatever they call it was just the first edition of the game so if you preordered it or bought in stores early enough you got China Rising automatically.

Cal Worthington
Oct 8, 2013

Serious business.
So less than a month since release and the game already goes on sale, $40 off. drat.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Uroboros posted:

I feel at times air power is a little week. I've never been able to fly in this game, but in the original BF1942 I remember planes in the hands of capable pilots were near unstoppable since flak cannons were the only reliable counter, and even then a good pilot knew the proper attack approaches against emplaced guns. I will say that in maps where there is no AA-Tank and capable pilot can still really be good, but I haven't been seeing any of the matches from BF3 where you would have a pilot who went something like 90-4 a match because he fires rockets against marked targets from space.

So you don't fly but you lament the days when pilots went 90-4?

Trust me, good pilots still wreck every thing in bf4 on a normal pub server.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Jippa posted:

So you don't fly but you lament the days when pilots went 90-4?

Trust me, good pilots still wreck every thing in bf4 on a normal pub server.

I don't know if lament is the word, I am just saying that it isn't really a fear anymore, especially when it comes to jets. Occasionally a good jet pilot will make my life rough, but helicopters are usually worse by far. If I am in the AA-LAV nearly everything in sight just starts falling out of the sky.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Is there a way to obtain all three of the SP endgame unlocks? I've gotten the QBZ assault rifle, but I'd like to also get the P90 and M249.

Olive Branch
May 26, 2010

There is no wealth like knowledge, no poverty like ignorance.

The Entire Universe posted:

Is there a way to obtain all three of the SP endgame unlocks? I've gotten the QBZ assault rifle, but I'd like to also get the P90 and M249.
Just replay the final mission on Easy and choose the other squaddie to give the C4 to, or do nothing and let the ship blow up.

Edit: You have to do it a total of three times, each with a different choice, to clarify.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Olive Branch posted:

Just replay the final mission on Easy and choose the other squaddie to give the C4 to, or do nothing and let the ship blow up.

It doesn't erase the previous unlock?

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

The Entire Universe posted:

It doesn't erase the previous unlock?

Nope.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

pylb posted:

The "deluxe edition" or whatever they call it was just the first edition of the game so if you preordered it or bought in stores early enough you got China Rising automatically.

The greenman page lists it as "pre-purchased", so I guess that's the case, thanks!

Yay, (kinda sorta) free expansion!

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Uroboros posted:

I don't know if lament is the word, I am just saying that it isn't really a fear anymore, especially when it comes to jets. Occasionally a good jet pilot will make my life rough, but helicopters are usually worse by far. If I am in the AA-LAV nearly everything in sight just starts falling out of the sky.

I'd say that is a net positive for the game. I still get completely wrecked by good pilots of jets or choppers if they notice me (I main engy).

I'm interested why do you think this is a bad thing?

Jippa fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 29, 2013

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Just installed bf4 for the first time, do i get double xp automatically or do i have to sign up for something for that?

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

Mister Fister posted:

Just installed bf4 for the first time, do i get double xp automatically or do i have to sign up for something for that?

it just happens

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Mister Fister posted:

Every one gets it until sunday night automatically.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Mad Pills posted:

This works best with a co-conspirator on the other team to blow up snipers.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Why do people like the lovely infantry-only spam maps so much in every game? Why is the awful loving map Operation Locker the most popular map in BF4? I just don't understand the appeal. What is there to like about one-dimensional combat situations that focus on insanely narrow meatgrinder chokepoints? These are genuine questions. I honestly want to know why poo poo like this happens:

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oO-dD7EZZxY

Death by MAV.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Why do people like the lovely infantry-only spam maps so much in every game? Why is the awful loving map Operation Locker the most popular map in BF4? I just don't understand the appeal. What is there to like about one-dimensional combat situations that focus on insanely narrow meatgrinder chokepoints? These are genuine questions. I honestly want to know why poo poo like this happens:

Remember the aftermath dlc pack. You can have infantry focussed maps with a few vehicles, that map pack was the high light of bf3 for me.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

I'd rather Op Locker than Golmund.

Sovietski
Jun 19, 2011

Cocktail King since 1922

I actually like Locker pretty well. Definitely beats metro, and at least you have a couple of options for your approach.

But basically it's about the score/minute. Narrow meatgrinders are tons of points. Thus, most popular map.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

WastedJoker posted:

I'd rather Op Locker than Golmund.

I'm surprised that so many people seem to dislike Golmud, while it is pretty much my favourite map right now. You can have a nice bit of varied infantry combat between A, B, and C and the plains around the south are great for nice tank/chopper fights. Plus I just love how completely demolished the northern town looks near the end of an intense match.

Then again I'm not particularly fond of Zavod even though it seems to be well liked by most goons, so different strokes and all that I guess :shobon:

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007
must have loaded into a map last night for one second before I went to bed. .. 0 kills 0 deaths -28 skill

Ninja fetus
Jan 22, 2005
Legalize murder

Perestroika posted:

I'm surprised that so many people seem to dislike Golmud, while it is pretty much my favourite map right now. You can have a nice bit of varied infantry combat between A, B, and C and the plains around the south are great for nice tank/chopper fights. Plus I just love how completely demolished the northern town looks near the end of an intense match.
For these reasons I'm starting to like Golmud as well. I really really don't like Zavod. Too drat cluttered in the middle. With all those LAV's driving around it's a nightmare for infantry.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Perestroika posted:

Then again I'm not particularly fond of Zavod even though it seems to be well liked by most goons, so different strokes and all that I guess :shobon:

Golmud is basically a nightmare for anyone not in a vehicle. Zavod at least has trees and tanks to act as cover.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

fletcher posted:

It's a really fun game. I loved the poo poo out of BC2 but BF3 never felt quite right to me. BF4 seems to nail it though. Great feel to it and player skill + teamwork in this game really pays off. There are certain maps like Operation Lockdown C that are more about numbers, since the whole map is a chokepoint like metro. It's pretty buggy still though, lots of people still dealing with crashes and bugs. If you're on the fence about it, I'd say go for it. Like you I was jonesing for a new FPS, and BF4 fills that need quite nicely. It's double XP right now for a week too, so it's a great time to start playing.

Also agree.

I'd have uninstalled long due to bugs and general EA DICE bullshit. But gently caress it. When it's working it's fun in ways BF3 never was. I still think BF3 was a big step down from BC2.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Uroboros posted:

I feel at times air power is a little weak. I've never been able to fly in this game, but in the original BF1942 I remember planes in the hands of capable pilots were near unstoppable since flak cannons were the only reliable counter, and even then a good pilot knew the proper attack approaches against emplaced guns. I will say that in maps where there is no AA-Tank and capable pilot can still really be good, but I haven't been seeing any of the matches from BF3 where you would have a pilot who went something like 90-4 a match because he fires rockets against marked targets from space.

A couple good matches from last night with fellow [GiP] players.
Mostly [GiP] members on other team due to auto-balance
Cyrogenic Jesus
Stolen RCB

You're welcome. I feel like I was helping you pad your stats that one round :argh:

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Shima Honnou posted:

Golmud is basically a nightmare for anyone not in a vehicle. Zavod at least has trees and tanks to act as cover.

Isn't Golmud the one with the railway? It seems to me that, with the exception of the railcar point, infantry have hiding places at every point.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Fighting at the bottom around F is utterly unfun as infantry. You just get a sea of tanks and helicopters and it's basically a big ugly warehouse in the middle of nowhere.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

NoneSuch posted:

Fighting at the bottom around F is utterly unfun as infantry. You just get a sea of tanks and helicopters and it's basically a big ugly warehouse in the middle of nowhere.

Eh, mine the area up and shoot the tanks from above/behind. Halfway through the map, the area will be so cratered that it'll be utterly unfun as a tank or LAV.

Frankly, if you have just three people in your squad it's pretty hard for tanks to survive.

I love to tank it up in that map but I still avoid staying in the points for too long if I can help it because of all the directions you can get shot from.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Uroboros posted:

Good. gently caress jets. They're more than powerful enough in capable hands, and that's fine. Nobody except the chosen sky gods actually want to be back to the point where some lone sperg in a jet could literally ruin the game for drat near everyone else.

killaer
Aug 4, 2007
Saw the deluxe version of this on sale for 35$, couldn't resist.

I gotta say, I'm a little disappointed with the game so far. I'm digging all of the vehicles, it seems like they definitely hit a sweeter spot for balancing aircraft vs ground targets and each other, but I can't help but feel like the game feels clunkier. Something about movement and turning...it felt silky smooth in BF3, not so much here. I'm getting TONS of hiccup and stutter lag on every single map, so that may have something to do with it - but otherwise decent Framerates. Also running into lots of sound bugs - sound cutting out, no sound until I fire my weapon, etc. I'm trusting that DICE keeps supporting the PC version and keeps throwing out patches to fix up some of the technical issues, because I'm loving how the game feels like BF2 all over again.

Also, I don't really think there's going to be any excuse for them not to port over all of the old BF3 maps. I never really got a chance to play the maps from the final couple of expansion packs for BF3, but it looks like they kept in all the new stuff they added like AC130 gunships and the Mobile Artillery - so here's to hoping Kharg Island and some others get put back in as well...

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FheY3PrqEKo

oh and,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzGhQUpDZR8

I'm getting addicted to killing people with their own explosives.

Edit: oh and shadowplay really is good. Set it to always record last 5 mins gameplay and never worry about losing those WTF moments. Barely any performance hit on my rig.

WastedJoker fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Nov 29, 2013

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

WastedJoker posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FheY3PrqEKo

oh and,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzGhQUpDZR8

I'm getting addicted to killing people with their own explosives.

Edit: oh and shadowplay really is good. Set it to always record last 5 mins gameplay and never worry about losing those WTF moments. Barely any performance hit on my rig.

This loving owns and I had no idea you could detonate stuff with the MAV. Time to grind recon and get it, I guess.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

I can't decide whether it is meta-sniping or mega-sniping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Does the MAV still work like the TUG when you aren't flying it? It did in BF3, but with slightly reduced range for the motion sensing.

• Locked thread