Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IHaveATinyWilly
Nov 21, 2013
Decided to turn on closed captions when you two were discussing it and interestingly enough youtube seems to decipher some of the mashed up noises from the game as words. This is the one that caught my attention the most and paints a nice picture of the game as a whole.

Also that sun looks smug as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
Given Keith's knowledge, when are we going to get Let's Play 25 Years of Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing?

(Also, heck with that sun; that undersea city's where it's at.)

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

So, uh, what's the point of the coins/bonus level if the objective is to type fast and accurately?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Ometeotl posted:

So, uh, what's the point of the coins/bonus level if the objective is to type fast and accurately?

Entertaining the minds of stupid, stupid children.

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Entertaining the minds of stupid, stupid children.

That and resting your hand for a moment from all the furious typing.

Red_October_7000
Jun 22, 2009

IHaveATinyWilly posted:

Decided to turn on closed captions when you two were discussing it and interestingly enough youtube seems to decipher some of the mashed up noises from the game as words. This is the one that caught my attention the most and paints a nice picture of the game as a whole.

Also that sun looks smug as hell.

Youtube's automatic captions are only so good... I've tried to use automatic captioning and translation of captions to watch foreign-language videos, and the results, are, well, bizarre. Unfortunately I didn't think to use them to make it through the video, I had to give up halfway through. The fact that the sound got picked up on the recording is a bit puzzling to me, the PC speaker is literally the little thing that chirps during the bootstrap process.

Some old games could do decent things with the PC speaker, but you had to design for it properly, not just try to pass every noise the game made out of the poor little thing.

LeafyOrb
Jun 11, 2012

When I was a kid I was wheelchair bound for about a year and while everyone got to go to PE and recess I was stuck in the library with old rear end computers and this game. I didn't have a SNES either so this was my only exposure to Mario until much later.

In the context of a kid with nothing else to do, stuck in a chair this game was pretty rad back in the day. In retrospect its amazing I still like Mario at all these days with this as my first game though I think this game may have caused me to have some Stockholm Syndrome with regards to it's actual quality. (Yes I am saying that you would enjoy this game if you were tied to a chair and forced to play it)

LeafyOrb fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Nov 28, 2013

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Red_October_7000 posted:

The fact that the sound got picked up on the recording is a bit puzzling to me, the PC speaker is literally the little thing that chirps during the bootstrap process.

They're using DOSBox - it emulates the PC speaker through the actual sound card, I believe, and the native recording capability picks that up as well. As of version 0.73, it also emulates the CD player capability - in version 0.72, it just issued "play" commands to the CD drive, the same way DOS did. At the time I used it, I had a laptop that actually had the CD audio cable hooked up and could play the sound, but DOSBox didn't record it. I had to do some interesting workarounds for my LPs at the time!

One of my earliest computers didn't have a sound card, so I had to use the PC speaker sound for the games I had at the time. Revisiting them decades later with a proper sound card, I almost don't recognize them! There's a part of me that actually likes the old bleepy music better than the way it was always intended to sound. If I'd played Mario Teaches Typing, though, I believe I'd have to make an exception for it - games that use the PC speaker shouldn't try to play music and sound effects. (i.e. if you can't figure out how to switch the sound settings to Sound Blaster outside the game, you can still turn off the sound effects in the in-game menu)

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Reveilled posted:

If it makes you feel any better, nobody makes rules for English and people who genuinely get worked up over stuff like whether there should be one or two spaces after a full stop are silly. If you want to put two spaces in, just do it.

Allow me to introduce you to my associates, Messirs Strunk & White. My minor in college was writing, and I was made to memorize that guide like a bible.

Double Spacing after sentence ends and semicolons is a rule, not a suggestion, and people who say otherwise are just whiny and lazy. Androids also automatically add periods when double spacing. If all the word processors know you should, then aren't the complainers just not paying attention?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Choco1980 posted:

Double Spacing after sentence ends and semicolons is a rule, not a suggestion, and people who say otherwise are just whiny and lazy. Androids also automatically add periods when double spacing. If all the word processors know you should, then aren't the complainers just not paying attention?

Blackberry does that as well. I think it was only through online and laziness that I learned that using one space after a period was "ok" but if I hand in papers that way then I get a nice talking to from my prof.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Choco1980 posted:

Allow me to introduce you to my associates, Messirs Strunk & White. My minor in college was writing, and I was made to memorize that guide like a bible.

Beyond some sound grammar rules that are conjured from the dirt that is English grammar, a lot of Strunk's guide boils down to his personal bias (or not liking how some young'uns use some words). It's nice getting some ground rules for the language, but now and then the rules are just silly and/or dated.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Zeikier posted:

Beyond some sound grammar rules that are conjured from the dirt that is English grammar, a lot of Strunk's guide boils down to his personal bias (or not liking how some young'uns use some words). It's nice getting some ground rules for the language, but now and then the rules are just silly and/or dated.

Brevity and directness are pretty pro guidelines when writing. Most of the things you're taught as rules for English are suggestions for clarity. Keith could probably set us straight wrt Strunk and White if he's still pursuing a writing career.

Zeikier
Jan 26, 2010

"This woman...she's killed before, and not just once..."

Jack Gladney posted:

Brevity and directness are pretty pro guidelines when writing. Most of the things you're taught as rules for English are suggestions for clarity. Keith could probably set us straight wrt Strunk and White if he's still pursuing a writing career.

Which definitely made Strunk's instructions for keeping things that way a quick yet informative read. Then you got to White's sections where he contradicts the whole "brevity and directness" thing. Technical writing and creative writing do not mix.

As for typing games, I only had a typing course when I got to high school. Only barely learned about homerow typing before then, and I never liked how restricting it was. Freestyle becomes muscle memory eventually, so good riddance.

NeoAnjou
Jul 22, 2010

Zeikier posted:

If you ever read the 'language log' blog, a university level linguistics blog, you'd be amazed by how often Strunk and whatsits guide comes up and how often they demonstrate that the 'rules' contained within have been consistently broken by the greatest writers of the English language (both before, at the time of, and after the time these rules were writen).

And re: 1 space versus 2: do whatever you like. Unless you're writing in a really crappy word processor or something which uses monospaced fonts, then it will be converted to the standard printed style (which is typically 1 space between sentences) - for instance see below:

This is sentence one. There is once space between sentence one and two.
This is sentence one. There are two spaces between sentence one and two.
This is sentence one. There are ten spaces between sentence one and two.

There is a slight argument for consistency that one should only use one space 'just in case' some software doesn't work with it, but it's pretty weak. Having said that two spaces should not be taught (but equally you shouldn't replace a bad rule with a better, but equally dictatorial rule!).

Edit: Sorry - got my examples a little wrong - it's like 5AM here and I'm suffering from insomnia!

NeoAnjou fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Nov 29, 2013

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

NeoAnjou posted:

This is sentence two. There are two spaces between sentence once and two.
The is sentence three. There are ten spaces between sentence one and two.

I read this over and over and I had absolutely no clue what you were trying to say. Once I quoted it, I realized you meant something like:

This is sentence one. There is one space between sentence one and this sentence.
This is sentence two. There are two spaces between sentence two and this sentence.
This is sentence three. There are ten spaces between sentence three and this sentence.

For the love of god man, when discussing the subtleties of language, please take a second to proofread your posts!

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
Just gonna plug that Icarus Proudbottom Teaches Typing was one of many fine games made over the course of this year's SA Gamedev Challenge.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

NeoAnjou posted:

If you ever read the 'language log' blog, a university level linguistics blog, you'd be amazed by how often Strunk and whatsits guide comes up and how often they demonstrate that the 'rules' contained within have been consistently broken by the greatest writers of the English language (both before, at the time of, and after the time these rules were writen).

And re: 1 space versus 2: do whatever you like. Unless you're writing in a really crappy word processor or something which uses monospaced fonts, then it will be converted to the standard printed style (which is typically 1 space between sentences) - for instance see below:

This is sentence one. There are two spaces between sentence one and two.
This is sentence one. There are ten spaces between sentence one and two.

There is a slight argument for consistency that one should only use one space 'just in case' some software doesn't work with it, but it's pretty weak. Having said that two spaces should not be taught (but equally you shouldn't replace a bad rule with a better, but equally dictatorial rule!).

Edit: Sorry - got my examples a little wrong - it's like 5AM here and I'm suffering from insomnia!

In MS Word and most other processors, two spaces do appear wider than one. However, the forums use some kind of html parsing, and in html any space beyond the first one is simply ignored, which is why you won't find any webpages with two spaces after a period. Unless they went out of their way to insert non breaking spaces everywhere.

Strangely enough, as far as I've seen this discussion as a non-native English speaker (in my language it's just one space after a period. Period.), this stuff seems region bound. The double space seems less common in Britain, but also in certain US States. Really weird.
Note that if you live in a single space area, your prof can and will use any double spaces against you.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Nov 29, 2013

ProfessorBooty
Jan 25, 2004

Amulet of the Dark
For some reason I remember no specific rules on how many spaces after the period that are required when I was in grade school, so I always used one - it wasn't until I started taking typing/word processing classes in junior high that I adopted the 'two space' rule, and that's only because Microsoft Word at the time (~1997ish) wouldn't autocorrect, but instead would put the 'bad grammar' squiggly lines underneath the single space, so I adopted that method even though I thought it was kind of stupid and now two space is a habit. It's pretty frustrating to have to, again, put an effort into something as simple as how many spaces I need after a period, but I'm willing to bet most word processors automatically make whatever you write 'look' good, whether there are two spaces or one.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

NeoAnjou posted:

Including, as it happens (and as Language Log loves to point out), by Strunk and White themselves, on several occasions. In the very book that's sanctioning them. See also this New York Times piece authored by Geoffrey K. Pullum of Language Log and four other contemporary grammar experts. None of them are particularly enthralled with S&W. This is honestly a typography issue anyway, not a grammar one, and typographers are pretty universal in hating two spaces after the end of a sentence.

This is a really, really weird derail.

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
I think we're getting excessively worked up over our preferences and what we've been taught regarding grammar. Different fields have different interpretations of this rule, and citing this authority or that isn't going to change that.

Blenheim fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Nov 29, 2013

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Shame they never did a Mario Teaches Grammar sequel really.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

AzraelNewtype posted:

This is a really, really weird derail.

There's no such thing as a derail in a Run Button thread.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...
Look at these plebs knowing that they can't press the up arrow when in DOS to bring back what they just typed.

In other news, I love this series. You all are insane, and I am glad I am not you.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Vrikkian posted:

Look at these plebs knowing that they can't press the up arrow when in DOS to bring back what they just typed.

In other news, I love this series. You all are insane, and I am glad I am not you.

Actually this was not a feature in dos (without running "Doskey.com") until after Windows 2000. F3 was the key to bring up the last line I believe.

Actually I may be remembering the windows 98 command line, so don't take this as gospel.

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Laocius posted:

There's no such thing as a derail in a Run Button thread.
I think you mean Run Button is nothing BUT derail. I mean, why else are they called Run Button when, if all you do is run in a videogame, you're bound to fall into a pit inevitably :v:

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
If Facebook has taught me anything, it's that grammar is a lie. Spelling too.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Jonny Nox posted:

Actually this was not a feature in dos (without running "Doskey.com") until after Windows 2000. F3 was the key to bring up the last line I believe.

Actually I may be remembering the windows 98 command line, so don't take this as gospel.

I don't know about F3, but you are correct about up not being a standard DOS feature. DOSkey was so great.

Vrikkian
Apr 26, 2010

I think I'm having a stroke...

Shintaro posted:

I don't know about F3, but you are correct about up not being a standard DOS feature. DOSkey was so great.

Maybe I had Doskey installed. I don't know. My first legit computer was a Win95 machine (playing C&C 95 on loop until the disk melted from overuse), so DOS was not my native OS. I only used it when I tried to install and play TIE Fighter.

19LettersLong
May 8, 2011

...let's just put this away.

Mario Teaches Typing (1991)
Part 2/4 (LP pt.39) [Youtube]

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
This game is clearly loving with you, there's no way any sane developer would have ever made you type that much pointless symbol garbage.

(also a ^ in programming is usually a XOR, not exponent)

e: Oh my god it's getting worse.

Admiral H. Curtiss fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 29, 2013

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

gently caress all of this one/two spaces after a period discussion, the concept of having a comma after a question mark is what we need to discuss. What even is that?, who would think of such a thing?, and why?

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
I can't believe the game forces you back to lessons you cleared already if you gently caress up (the game unpaused while you hosed around on Twitter and I guess Mario got eaten by the fish or something).

"You messed up on bullshit shift+number bar garbage you use maybe 1% of the time on your keyboard at most, go back to just the numbers!"

I mean, it makes no sense from a learning standpoint. How are you going to get better at symbols if every time you fail, you're taken back to the previous lesson you've already passed?

Lemur Crisis
May 6, 2009

What will you do?
Where can you run?
The Diablo III difficulty levels thing you mention sounds like the monster power setting in the PC version. How to have fun in D3: hardcore character, no AH usage, monster power 10, dumb gimmick build (Demon Hunter with no ranged weapons or hatred generator skills!).

Blenheim
Sep 22, 2010
Man, this game does sound different on other sound settings. We missed out on Interplay's answer to Charles Martinet going "On your mark; get set; GO!" (It's in the first minute of the video; later on, watch out for BIG SPOILERS for later levels.)

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

I was wondering why this looked so different from what I remember. Turns out I played the sequel.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

how do they gently caress up the level order and put swimming before underground?

FinalGamer
Aug 30, 2012

So the mystic script says.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

This game is clearly loving with you, there's no way any sane developer would have ever made you type that much pointless symbol garbage.

(also a ^ in programming is usually a XOR, not exponent)

e: Oh my god it's getting worse.
Jesus christ they did, what the hell is up with that, WHO NEEDS AN ASTERISK WHEN TYPING?! WHY IS IT SPELLED "PER-CENT"!?!?!

...how is this somehow worse than loving Mavis Beacon

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Internet Janitor posted:

Just gonna plug that Icarus Proudbottom Teaches Typing was one of many fine games made over the course of this year's SA Gamedev Challenge.

Just played through this and yeah, you all should check it out, it's pretty great. And not too long either, just half an hour or so. Much better than this symbol and number crap that Mario Teaches Typing throws at you.

http://www.holywowstudios.com/teachestyping/

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Guys I don't think I can take another hour of this. Watching you suffer is fun and all but my ears are suffering too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
I can't believe there are two more videos of this.

• Locked thread