Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Astro7x posted:

Speaking of the SA Wii Fit community, don't worry everyone, I haven't actually been exercising. I just put the fit meter on my parents dog while they are visiting to see how much she walks around the house

I keep forgetting mine at home.

Plus I definitely put some weight on because I was just doing Wii Fit U instead of other exercising so I'm forcing myself to do other exercises before I get back to 30 minutes of ab killing luge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oneliquidninja
Jan 6, 2007

I swear I wrote something funny here.
Lego Marvel is 40% off ($30) on Amazon right now. Ships free with prime.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Am I missing something or can you not use a wiimote with the netflix app? I just wanted to watch stuff while the gamepad charges on its cradle :I

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

You can't choke if you chew forever
:dukedog:

The Milkman posted:

Am I missing something or can you not use a wiimote with the netflix app? I just wanted to watch stuff while the gamepad charges on its cradle :I
Only the gamepad works with the Netflix app. I tried to access Netflix through the browser as a workaround to that and you can use a wiimote to navigate pages(can't input text though) but playback isn't supported through the site...

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Can you use Netflix through the Wii?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Can you use Netflix through the Wii?

I assume it would only stream standard def.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Started playing ZombiU after skipping it last year and finding a copy for $9 today at Gamestop...and I'm liking it a lot. Reminds me a lot of State of Decay, in which they are both janky zombies games that try to change the formula with way different ideas on how these games are, which taking a hit in the graphic department. Plus both games are designed for you to not get used to your character, as they might die a horrible death in the next moment.

Shame it didn't sell that well enough to get a sequel, but who knows, maybe Ubi-Soft might revisit in the future, even if it multi-platform. I mean, they did put out another Red Steel!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The original Red Steel sold over two million copies, that's why.

Dr VideoGames 0.299
Feb 15, 2007

i really think you're overestimating how much
i love having dog shit smushed all over my face

oneliquidninja posted:

Lego Marvel is 40% off ($30) on Amazon right now. Ships free with prime.

Is this particular Lego game in any meaningful way any different or better than the last few Lego games (LotR, Batman 2) or is it more of the same?

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

Dr. Video Games 0029 posted:

Is this particular Lego game in any meaningful way any different or better than the last few Lego games (LotR, Batman 2) or is it more of the same?
It's the same play mechanics, different setting(the city feels bigger and like there are more things to do) and with tons of Marvel characters. If you liked previous Lego games you'll have fun with it but it isn't an amazing revolutionary step or anything.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
So with the new Mario 3D world out I'm thinking about buying a Wii U. My bedroom is directly above my living room. The bed is directly above where the console would sit. Has anyone had any success with off TV play or whatever it's called in one room above another?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

monkeu posted:

So with the new Mario 3D world out I'm thinking about buying a Wii U. My bedroom is directly above my living room. The bed is directly above where the console would sit. Has anyone had any success with off TV play or whatever it's called in one room above another?

It really depends on your house. It works great in some places and like poo poo in others.

Literally Elvis
Oct 21, 2013

monkeu posted:

If I had to guess, I'd say it wouldn't work very well. My apartment is very small, and I can only play on the very edge of my bed with the console in the other room. There's a thin wall between them, but the total distance is maybe 10 feet and it still craps out. I would imagine (and hope for your sake) that my walls are less durable/thick than your floors!

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

monkeu posted:

I have this exact setup and it does work, but only when directly above it, A few yards either way and you start to lose signal. But it will vary house to house.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It really depends on your house. It works great in some places and like poo poo in others.

I think my parents' house is made out of solid lead, because Wi-Fi signals go absolutely nowhere. The router's upstairs, so if I want to use the internet with a console, I either have to bring it upstairs and use a monitor, move the router downstairs, or run a really long ethernet port down. I haven't tried using the GamePad in that house, though.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Would it be feasible for Nintendo to release some sort of adapter or router or whatever that could extend the range of the game pad, or does technology not work that way?

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!
Just a head's up: Xenoblade Chronicles is $40 at Gamestop until December 1st. Buy Xenoblade from now until the end of the year and you get a new, free copy of Nintendo Land with it. If the cashier doesn't add it to your transaction, tell them to rescan it and add the upsell. It got me pretty excited to realize I was getting $100 worth of games (as much as Xenoblade is usually $70 whether we like it or not, and Nintendo Land is $30 new) for $40.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Can you play Xenoblade with the gamepad?

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Can you play Xenoblade with the gamepad?

You can see it on the gamepad and play with a wii remote+nunchuck or pro controller. However, no Wii games can use the gamepad controls.

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Gamestop has so many "used" copies of this game. Makes me think that when it came out, they filled the preorders and then held on to the rest to sell at a higher price used.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

boz posted:

Gamestop has so many "used" copies of this game. Makes me think that when it came out, they filled the preorders and then held on to the rest to sell at a higher price used.

That's probably exactly what happened, if not immediately, then a year later thereabouts. I remember the GameStops in my area had a lot of unsold new copies that were clearly visible in the glass case behind the counter, and they had been sitting there for several months. Then all of a sudden, they all disappeared, only to reappear later during that whole "used for more than new" debacle.

deafmute
Jun 24, 2003

romanowski posted:

Would it be feasible for Nintendo to release some sort of adapter or router or whatever that could extend the range of the game pad, or does technology not work that way?
It can be done but it isn't something Nintendo has sounded like they want to put effort in to officially, a 3rd party company making one seems more likely.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

boz posted:

Yeah that is sort of the rumor that went around. Several months ago, tons of perfectly unscratched with-all-paperwork copies of Xenoblade showed up at Gamestops nationwide. It is very unlikely that hoarders in every state chose to all return their untouched copies during those same couple of days.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Shoopuf posted:

You can see it on the gamepad and play with a wii remote+nunchuck or pro controller. However, no Wii games can use the gamepad controls.

Thought so...Can it use the wii u pro controller though? or is it the same boat. Mostly just wondering if I need to shell out and get the classic controller while I'm out.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Thought so...Can it use the wii u pro controller though? or is it the same boat. Mostly just wondering if I need to shell out and get the classic controller while I'm out.

It can't. While Wii U games can potentially use any Wii controller, Wii games cannot use any Wii U controllers.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

For what it's worth, I thought the remote/nunchuck controls were perfect. Made it super easy to move around while selecting actions in combat

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mercury Crusader posted:

That's probably exactly what happened, if not immediately, then a year later thereabouts. I remember the GameStops in my area had a lot of unsold new copies that were clearly visible in the glass case behind the counter, and they had been sitting there for several months. Then all of a sudden, they all disappeared, only to reappear later during that whole "used for more than new" debacle.

40 bucks is what they're both charging for Metroid prime Trilogy and Xenoblade from now on it seems.

I was disappointed to see that the artbook that came with the steelbook version of Prime Trilogy wasn't really a book at all, but like an elaborate postcard. There was more content on the Metroid prime Bonus Disc for the gamecube than the Prime trilogy pack in book. You're probably better off getting the Japanese Prime "art of" book.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

For what it's worth, I thought the remote/nunchuck controls were perfect. Made it super easy to move around while selecting actions in combat

I got to play xenoblade at a buds place back when it came out and was turned off pretty hard by the controls (but i didnt play much) something about playing an rpg with the standard wii setup just is inherently unappealing to me. :v:

This whole promotion is kinda silly though, no one at my Gamestop (even the manager, who I know and is usually on the ball about poo poo weeks before the promotions start) had any idea what I was talking about, but when I asked them to humor me and ring both things up sure enough it took nintendoland's price to 0.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Dec 1, 2013

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

drat, a friend of mine's getting Wii U this Xmas, but I already have Xenoblade. :( It doesn't work with Metroid, I assume?

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

This whole promotion is kinda silly though, no one at my Gamestop (even the manager, who I know and is usually on the ball about poo poo weeks before the promotions start) had any idea what I was talking about, but when I asked them to humor me and ring both things up sure enough it took nintendoland's price to 0.

I work at a Gamestop, and it was a complete loving coincidence that I found out about this. There really is no fanfare or attempt to educate the employees on this one, which is weird. They usually want us to know every single offer at all times. :shrug: Pretty sure it's been on for months, I only just got the chance to test it yesterday.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

drat, a friend of mine's getting Wii U this Xmas, but I already have Xenoblade. :( It doesn't work with Metroid, I assume?

It might! Have them check. There's no harm in asking.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I got to play xenoblade at a buds place back when it came out and was turned off pretty hard by the controls (but i didnt play much) something about playing an rpg with the standard wii setup just is inherently unappealing to me. :v:

But it's just like holding a controller except you can have you hands in any position you want. Being able to play an RPG laying in any retarded/ lazy position I want is pretty appealing.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, RPGs are one genre where the Wiimote/nunchuck setup felt just plain better to me.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Like I said, it's mostly just me rather than there being anything objectively wrong with the controls. :shobon:

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man
Yeah I really loved The Last Story's control scheme.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Wii Fit question - Does my chubby Mii show up in the gym, or is it my normal wii?

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

If it helps, Xenoblade is compatible with the Wii Classic Controller.

...or can you not use the Classic Controller with the U? I've always just stuck to the Wiimote or GameCube controls.

EDIT: \/ Thanks Angry. I swear I've read the OP a few times, I just usually skip that image and forget about it, since like I said I don't have that controller...heh. :shobon:

MykonosFan fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 1, 2013

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Hey guys, I'm thinking about getting one of these for Christmas and I'm wondering how things are these days. There's more games out for it that I'm interested in than I can afford, so I'm not really concerned about the games library for the moment, but I'd like to know about the interface. Is there anything like a unified friends list? Is there "party chat" or anything? Is the interface snappy? I remember when this thing came out it looked like there were a shitload of loading times, and I'm very particular about that kind of thing. I also wonder if there are any potential advantages to using this as the Netflix machine; the PS4 has a great Netflix interface, but maybe this could have some kind of second screen functionality? Any additional comments/nagging things regarding the overall user experience would be awesome.

If anyone's curious, it's a three way decision between the Wii U, the Vita, and the 3DS. I know that the 3DS has by far the biggest and best library of games, so conventional wisdom points me to that, but I have a PS4 and lots of free Vita games, and I'd honestly prefer a console over a handheld, so there's an edge for each platform.

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000
I can't speak to the other issues, as I haven't really used those features yet, but as far as loading times go I can't say I've noticed much in the way of them, at least from what I've played of SM3DW and WWHD so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyHopeful
Jun 24, 2007
May an IDF soldier mistakenly gun down my own parents and face no repercussions i'd totally be cool with it cuz accidents are unavoidable in a low-intensity conflict, man

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Is there anything like a unified friends list? Is there "party chat" or anything? Is the interface snappy?

Yes, unless you mean across systems (no unified online accounts yet)
Not natively but maybe game specific?
Kind of. The updates have made it much better.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I remember when this thing came out it looked like there were a shitload of loading times, and I'm very particular about that kind of thing. I also wonder if there are any potential advantages to using this as the Netflix machine; the PS4 has a great Netflix interface, but maybe this could have some kind of second screen functionality? Any additional comments/nagging things regarding the overall user experience would be awesome.

If anyone's curious, it's a three way decision between the Wii U, the Vita, and the 3DS. I know that the 3DS has by far the biggest and best library of games, so conventional wisdom points me to that, but I have a PS4 and lots of free Vita games, and I'd honestly prefer a console over a handheld, so there's an edge for each platform.

I much prefer using my WiiU as a Netflix box over my 360, primarily because of the Gamepad. I use it as my TV remote, and it also makes searching and playing Netflix videos much quicker and easier. I can also watch Netflix directly on the Gamepad with headphones or the built-in speakers, if you have situations where that'd be nice. That said, the downside is that you can't turn the screen off on the Gamepad so for long movies you'll have to dock it or plug it in.

My girlfriend and I have gotten tons of fun from the WiiU, but there still hasn't been a game that compels me to turn on the console in the way that games like Skyrim did. But that's personal opinion :)

• Locked thread