Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

Perestroika posted:

I want to like the M4, but I'm somehow really not getting a feel for it. It seems like the range band where the burst actually gives you an advantage is just tiny. 90% of the times you're either close enough that something full auto would be better or you're too far away to bother with shooting anyways.

Also, I've been thinking: could it be that the SMAW is really just straight up better than the RPG? The difference in damage is pretty miniscule, the amount of hits needed to kill a tank from a given health value is the same in almost any situation. In return you get a much faster rocket with less drop, making it that much easier to actually get those hits in the first place. Not to mention having an easier time with swatting careless choppers out of the sky.

I agree with you on the M4, mid range engagements just seem few and far between while not being terrible effective. It seems you are better off using a DMR if you want to hit targets at range as an engineer or your better going with a full auto Carbine. Instead of being a balanced mid range weapon it seems to just be ineffective at both ranges.

I like the RPG on Locker and that is about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
PDWs would be nice as an all-kit weapon if they gave you an additional gadget slot to gently caress around with. Otherwise they're not worth it.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
I am now posting from an SSD :w00t:

Now, how do I migrate Origin over to this thing without having to redownload BF4? Wanna load fast and take all the vehicles/double experience.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

God drat this game. Finally got a defib kill and was working on the other two... only for the loving game to crash.

DonnieJeffcoat
Jul 8, 2005
Salad Prong
Finally got my Slim Jim packs, maybe life is worth living.
http://imgur.com/4qHUP2h

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
Has anyone had this issue: there are certain servers that I'm just unable to connect to. The game client starts, but the Battlelog status says "Connecting" until I get disconnected. This happens consistently on a handful of servers (like Medick's), while others work fine. Is this potentially an issue on my end, or is it just straight up :dice:?

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Shima Honnou posted:

Now, how do I migrate Origin over to this thing without having to redownload BF4? Wanna load fast and take all the vehicles/double experience.

Change the install location for BF4 in Origin. Tell it to download the game again. Pause that, close Origin, move the BF4 folder to the new location, open Origin, resume the download. It will check the files and install the game to the new location.

Alternatively, just use Steam Mover.

rrrrrrrrrrrt posted:

Has anyone had this issue: there are certain servers that I'm just unable to connect to. The game client starts, but the Battlelog status says "Connecting" until I get disconnected. This happens consistently on a handful of servers (like Medick's), while others work fine. Is this potentially an issue on my end, or is it just straight up :dice:?

:dice: or the server provider.

There's a server I like that consistently has this issue for my friends and I. After several attempts the connection eventually goes through.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.

Shima Honnou posted:

Take BF4 (and any other games, I guess) from C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\Battlefield 4, and copy the files to the SSD drive (D:\Origin Games\Battlefield 4 or whatever). You might need to delete the Origin Games\Battlefield directory (or just move it) so Origin no longer recognizes that install of BF4.

Then go into Origin open Application Settings > Advanced and change the 'installed to the following location' directory to your new SSD.

Then 'Install' BF4 again and it should detect all the files when it starts the download. I'd keep a copy of the game on your old hard drive until you know the install has worked correctly.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

OGS-Remix posted:

While vehicles still have infinite ammo, you don't have an endless "pool" to draw from anymore. Your ammo increases slowly over time, there's a bar to indicate when your ammo will go up again.

If you fire all your shots off too fast, you can run out of your pool so you have to wait to refill. That's probably where you got that "waiting" message; you blew your load too quickly and you need some time to charge back up again.

So, I understand this mechanic, but do any vehicle attachments mitigate the pool refresh? Like, does autoloader make you pool come back quicker, or does it only help the ones in your magazine get loaded faster?

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Party Plane Jones posted:

PDWs would be nice as an all-kit weapon if they gave you an additional gadget slot to gently caress around with. Otherwise they're not worth it.

That makes me think of something that I can't check at work. Can you have both a SOFLAM and a PLD equipped?

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

jisforjosh posted:

That makes me think of something that I can't check at work. Can you have both a SOFLAM and a PLD equipped?

Yes.

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Pharmaskittle posted:

So, I understand this mechanic, but do any vehicle attachments mitigate the pool refresh? Like, does autoloader make you pool come back quicker, or does it only help the ones in your magazine get loaded faster?

There's nothing you can equip to make the reserve ammo recharge faster.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Vatek posted:

There's nothing you can equip to make the reserve ammo recharge faster.

This is the worst game ever.

Ever.

This is even worst than mines!

Vatek
Nov 4, 2009

QUACKING PERMABANNED! READ HERE

~SMcD

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

This is the worst game ever.

Ever.

This is even worst than mines!

I think it's a good mechanic. It really forces a tank driver to make the most of his secondary weapon because if he blows all his main gun rounds shooting at infantry and a tank shows up, he's screwed.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Vatek posted:

I think it's a good mechanic. It really forces a tank driver to make the most of his secondary weapon because if he blows all his main gun rounds shooting at infantry and a tank shows up, he's screwed.

I'm pretty sure Nostalgia4Infinity was joking. :ssh:

It is definitely a good mechanic and it rewards observant players. You can count shots on tanks/IFVs and if you know they're running low on their primary weapon, you can feel safer about engaging or re-positioning knowing that they won't want or can't shoot.

Edit: Welcome to the wonderful world of SSDs. It's like a priority boarding pass to planes/helis on round start. :getin:

And capping C on Operation Locker. There's nothing better then surprising people at their 2nd point (B or D) with a shotgun to the face.

VVVVVVVV

OGS-Remix fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 2, 2013

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice
Thanks for the help, dudes! It now takes me about 35-40 seconds to load into a map instead of 35-40 years!

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I really like the ammo pool mechanic too for the aforementioned reasons, I just wasn't sure whether I was missing some advantage.

Not Al-Qaeda
Mar 20, 2012
Am I missing smth or is the 2nd AA launcher you unlock worse than sting in every way?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

Am I missing smth or is the 2nd AA launcher you unlock worse than sting in every way?

The IGLA does the same damage as the stinger, but works through flares if you're good with it and has a longer lock range, so - unless there are at on of buildings blocking your LOS - the IGLA is usually better.

edit: I guess the damage is the same, my bad.

Propaganda Hour fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Dec 3, 2013

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Party Plane Jones posted:

PDWs would be nice as an all-kit weapon if the Carbines went back to being the Engineer's gun class.

But maybe even up against the Carbines they'd still find a use. PDWs on the Support were a cool choice because ammo kits and C4 supports that sort of Run n' Gun magdumpin' lifestyle that PDWs seem be about.

edit: Ugh, that was so cool about the PDWs. They offered a pretty alternative playstyle for the Support and Recon. Support gives up their ability to entrench themselves and cover long distances for the ability to become a holy terror in short-mid range combat. Recons could go PDW and swap their ability to be worthless so they could evolve into stealth bastards - Sneaking around low occupied bases, or become a one man base defense perimeter against would-be hero squads, with their ability to know more than their enemy and spawn in even when the base has been neutralized. Even moreso with C4 as an asset.

Okay, they both could still do that with Carbines. But the PDWs weren't that versatile and it made things more interesting. I think DMRs suffer from Carbines being universal as well. We could've had some really interesting yet effective loadouts but instead it's just carbines carbines carbines.

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 3, 2013

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

God bless snipers. Four of them around various areas of the D point of Dam, me trying to get the MTAR assignment done. Defib one standing beside another, kill the other one with my pistol, find another one in the opposite wing and kill him with the 40mm, then knife another one up on one of the roofs that has a ladder to it to cap it off. Shine on you worthless diamonds, keep feeding me those assignments.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Vatek posted:

What idiot uses the tank shell against infantry when they have a coaxial machine gun on?

I mostly only notice it in the artillery truck, which would be monstrously overpowered without it, and the attack chopper, which is made much less fun by it.

Mortar too, since it's technically a vehicle. Makes it much less fun on Locker.

Bruc
May 30, 2006
For those of you that hate PDWs I would recommend trying out the UMP 45. I don't feel significantly worse at medium range with it than I do with a Carbine really and it is a beast in hipfire.

Has anyone else here had issues using the M2 slam? It seems really inconsistent to me. I lay them in groups of 3 and a lot of times people will hit all 3 in an IFV or tank and all I get is a disable. Or if I throw 3 on a vehicle it almost never seems to kill them when they detonate after the vehicle moves. It's usually not a big deal and I can finish them off with a SRAW shot but sometimes I die and they are able to repair and it's really frustrating since it's such a risk getting them on the thing. Putting them under bridges on Paracel Storm or Hainan Resort is amazing though.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Mutation posted:

Okay, they both could still do that with Carbines. But the PDWs weren't that versatile and it made things more interesting. I think DMRs suffer from Carbines being universal as well. We could've had some really interesting yet effective loadouts but instead it's just carbines carbines carbines.

DMRs don't suffer because carbines are universal, DMRs suffer because they're terrible. They have poor hipfire accuracy, they don't hit that much harder then ARs, they're not significantly more accurate, AND they're semi-auto. There's an extremely narrow range where you can beat non-SCAR weapons, but the SCAR-H is pretty much better at all standard engagement ranges.

At least to make up for DMRs being terrible, shotguns are fantastic. I think if you want to do the mid-range engagement, full choke slug shotguns would probably be better then DMRs.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

DMRs are only really useful in hardcore, my favorite thing to do is join conquest/obliteration on Zavod. Run around on the edges with a silenced Mk .11, Silenced Compact .45, C4 and Wizballs.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

College Slice

Bruc posted:

For those of you that hate PDWs I would recommend trying out the UMP 45. I don't feel significantly worse at medium range with it than I do with a Carbine really and it is a beast in hipfire.

I actually like PDWs more than carbines and would have preferred if they were the all-class instead of carbines :geno:

Nissir
Apr 23, 2007
Man with no Title
Is there a list somewhere with what is considered the "best" gun in each class?

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Nissir posted:

The real official list is whatever you click with. Some guns you find completely unusable are killing machines for others.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Not Al-Qaeda posted:

It's hilariously good if you use it properly.

Get your lock, fire a missile off so they flare. Instantly break lock, reload. Lock and fire 2nd missile. Missile one re-acquires the tone lock and 2 missiles hit at once. :getin:

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Yeah, the Igla is pretty awesome. Awesome as well: the mortar. I love that it's remote now. I can loving deploy it, and then move around the map killing mans, and also have my own personal fire support waiting.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

jisforjosh posted:

It's hilariously good if you use it properly.

Get your lock, fire a missile off so they flare. Instantly break lock, reload. Lock and fire 2nd missile. Missile one re-acquires the tone lock and 2 missiles hit at once. :getin:

Wait so you can double-slam poo poo with the IGLA's as well? I might actually use something other than the SRAW for a bit! :getin:

Target Practice
Aug 20, 2004

Shit.
Goddamn can someone please explain to me how you're supposed to fly jets in this dumb game. I use a mouse and keyboard because I tried a 360 controller in bf3 and it was terrible. Is there a recommended keybind setup? I'm trying to fly these in the test range and I'm just poo poo at them.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Mutation posted:

PDWs chat

PDWs were good at their niche of hipfiring. But now the MTAR exists and does that nearly as well while also not being worthless at range so good job balancing that :dice:

Nissir posted:

IMO

Assault Rifles: M416, AEK, SAR-21
PDWS: PDW-R, CZ-3A1
LMG: M249/MG4, PKP
Sniper: SRR-61 - Use the M40A5 / L96 until you unlock it.
Shotguns: 870, M1014, DBV
DMR: SKS, ACE 52
Carbines: AK5C, AKU-12, ACE 52, MTAR
Pistols: MP443, shorty 12g, 93R, Compact 45.

Carbines and pistols have the most variety, so just pick one that you like and stick with it. Also if you have to snipe, avoid the scout and fy-js. They are the only sniper rifles that do not one shot with a headshot at range due to their damage dropoff. But really,

Gazaar posted:

The real official list is whatever you click with. Some guns you find completely unusable are killing machines for others.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 3, 2013

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

Nissir posted:

UTS-15, UTS-15, UTS-15 and UTS-15. Or whatever gun feels right for you, there's a lot of good ones, I just love running round a corner and blasting the poo poo out of an entire squad at point blank range.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Target Practice posted:

Goddamn can someone please explain to me how you're supposed to fly jets in this dumb game. I use a mouse and keyboard because I tried a 360 controller in bf3 and it was terrible. Is there a recommended keybind setup? I'm trying to fly these in the test range and I'm just poo poo at them.

Bind space to pitch up, use default KBAM. If you're in a turn fight, use space and keep your speed between 305 and 320.

Oh and don't fly stealth jets unless you really want to ram something. Seriously, just don't fly stealth jets. Attack jets, just point at whatever you want gone and hold the trigger on a shallow dive-you can go in steep if you want, but for me it usually ends up with a fireball.

FellowAmerican
Oct 2, 2007
I'm too busy philosophizing to get up
The FAMAS is so stinking good it blows my mind.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Nissir posted:

AR - Aug
PDW - MP7
LMG - M249
Sniper - SRR-61

Shotgun - Saiga/870
DMR - they all suck pick something else
Carbine - I say AK-5C but people love the last ACE gun in the tree or the TAR.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Anyone have any idea what time is the expansion unlocking?

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SixtySix posted:

Anyone have any idea what time is the expansion unlocking?

Should have been 52 minutes ago, according to my battlelog. But I guess that's another :dice:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Boy oh boy you guys weren't kidding about the single player in BF4. It's not nearly as complete poo poo as Warfighter but it makes BF3 looks downright competent so far.

• Locked thread