Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax
gently caress Air Superiority. gently caress jets. gently caress Skygods. gently caress :dice: for making AS part of an assignment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Worth sticking out for the UCAV, that lil fucker is awesome. Only downside is the long restock timer.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Aw dangit. I thought this digital deluxe thing gave me early access to the china rising maps, but I guess not.

Are you really gonna wring premium money out of me already, dice? You fuckers

E; The answer is apparently yes. The gamers gate offer is pretty good, with 30% off.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 3, 2013

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Icept posted:

Worth sticking out for the UCAV, that lil fucker is awesome. Only downside is the long restock timer.

How exactly does that thing work, anyway? Is it basically a remote-controlled airburst grenade or what? More importantly, can it kill several snipers in a single hit?

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
When was China Rising released? I have premium but I haven't found any servers that run the new maps.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Today for premium users. I see several servers running it, at the moment.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Hold back the invading Yankees little guy :3:

Icept
Jul 11, 2001

Perestroika posted:

How exactly does that thing work, anyway? Is it basically a remote-controlled airburst grenade or what? More importantly, can it kill several snipers in a single hit?

More or less. I managed to get a roadkill with it before it exploded as well. No yaw control unlike planes. Does 50% against armor. It's fun as hell.

Icept fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 3, 2013

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

When does China Rising come out if you didn't buy Premium? I bought the Digital Deluxe Edition on Black Friday which I think comes with China Rising, but I didn't get Premium.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

When does China Rising come out if you didn't buy Premium? I bought the Digital Deluxe Edition on Black Friday which I think comes with China Rising, but I didn't get Premium.

December 17th, according to my Origin listing.

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Bohemian Nights posted:

E; The answer is apparently yes. The gamers gate offer is pretty good, with 30% off.

Where are you seeing 30%? Regular storefront is showing 20% for me

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Still getting the exact same crashes. So much for this patch. :smith:

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?

Robot Randy posted:

gently caress Air Superiority. gently caress jets. gently caress Skygods. gently caress :dice: for making AS part of an assignment.

I have 0 unlocks for anything that flies in BF4 right now. I don't know what it is about air combat, but I just don't get it.

Needing 3 Jet Fighter ribbons for the UCAV? I'm pretty much hosed.

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

So are the jet fighter ribbons 5 kills per round or just total?

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

CombatBonta-kun posted:

I have 0 unlocks for anything that flies in BF4 right now. I don't know what it is about air combat, but I just don't get it.

Believe me I am in the same boat as you...the extent of my time in a chopper was to repair it for the Engineer assignments and ribbons...

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

CombatBonta-kun posted:

I bet there are special controllers that people are using to fly jets. Because trying to use the mouse is awful. Terribly awful. I mean I can only really turn in short bursts as I drag the mouse down over and over and over. Even when using flaps.

Should I plug in a gamepad? Would that make me an instant sky god?

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

SquadronROE posted:

I bet there are special controllers that people are using to fly jets. Because trying to use the mouse is awful. Terribly awful. I mean I can only really turn in short bursts as I drag the mouse down over and over and over. Even when using flaps.

It's either joysticks or weird keyboard configurations. Jets are basically unplayable with the mouse if you ask me, and I spent a lot of time with them (and a mouse) in BF3.

The thing about Jets is unless you're really good, you're just being useless to the team flying around and not providing any presence.

But I don't even bother trying to use the attack chopper in BF4 either because it seems so weak compared to BF3.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
I got kicked from a server that had its own anti-cheat through stats analysis going on. The most obvious one was anyone maintaining a 6:1 KDR over a long period would get auto-kicked. I think I fell afoul of it when I took a newly unlocked shotgun and unloaded it into a crowd of 8 enemies in the narrow tunnel chokepoint on Locker. I just noticed my accuracy stat for that gun is 121%.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Noticed this yesterday while playing. Looks like the composer of the Golmud Railway loading screen music is a big fan of Mass Effect!

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Wow, air superiority mode is kinda dumb. There's more people in the server than there are jets.

I've discovered that the left trigger on my 360 controller is hard coded to be "Free Look" no matter what I change the control layout to. :dice:

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

SquadronROE posted:

Stop being a baka and bind pitch up/pitch down to keyboard buttons.

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
I hope they release a Chernobyl map sometime. Fight inside the catacomb, around the reactor. Levolution could be reactor explosion releasing radioation that destroys electronics. Or giant worms and mutants: http://www.asiafinest.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=261033

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Deeters posted:

Wow, air superiority mode is kinda dumb. There's more people in the server than there are jets.

I've discovered that the left trigger on my 360 controller is hard coded to be "Free Look" no matter what I change the control layout to. :dice:

I think there is a fix that includes editing your settings file, not sure where to find it though, but you can just google it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Bohemian Nights posted:

Today for premium users. I see several servers running it, at the moment.

I have China Rising because I preordered the game or something, will I be able to play it when I get home from work or not until the 14th?

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

SquadronROE posted:

I wonder how playing helicopters/jets using a flight stick like this would be like:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=flight%20stick

It has to make it easier

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Hopper posted:

I think there is a fix that includes editing your settings file, not sure where to find it though, but you can just google it.

Yeah, I found a program to make it easy. Still amazes me that something that's a simple variable would be an issue two patches in.

hreple
Feb 11, 2006
hardly

Mister Fister posted:

I wonder how playing helicopters/jets using a flight stick like this would be like:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=flight%20stick

It has to make it easier

Actually no, it's not. You lose so much accuracy when tooling around with a stick it's just not worth it. A controller *maybe* for jets, but I doubt that as well.

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Mister Fister posted:

It has to make it easier

It can make flying fun but you will still get poo poo on by mouse and keyboard autists.

Dox023
Feb 23, 2009
The china rising map Dragon Pass has a really hilarious bug, and I am amazed it made it out of QA.

Actually this is :dice:, and they probably don't do QA.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

It's entirely possible that QA spotted it and :dice: didn't fix it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
That's incredible.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Mister Fister posted:

It has to make it easier
Wow the high-end HOTAS is 20% less than it was a few months ago.

I initially tried a joystick when learning jets in BF3(using my decade-old Sidewinder FF2) but the problem is that rolling from one side to another was slow compared to instant on a keyboard or mouse so I've stuck to it since.

However, jet ribbons aren't *too* difficult if you're attacking ground targets because of the damage output from the main cannon, laser-guided missiles, and rockets(even with no crosshairs, thanks :dice:). It's the accuracy of connecting bullets into another jet to down it in that window of 2-3 seconds after an eternity of circling/looping/maintaining airspeed that's still difficult for me(and if expect the same for a lot of others as well).

Acquilae fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Dec 3, 2013

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

I have China Rising because I preordered the game or something, will I be able to play it when I get home from work or not until the 14th?

I'm in the same boat (I think, I'm not entirely sure if greenman also offered that bonus for preorders) and it looks like we'll have to wait until the 14th.

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost

Mister Fister posted:

It has to make it easier

Honestly, in arcade games like Battlefield that have no flight model to speak off, using a HOTAS to fly will gimp you more than it will help you. It might be easier sure, but you are way more maneuverable with just KB/M. The game doesn't require the kind of input fidelity that you get with a HOTAS. I mean, you'll be always full on deflection with your flight stick anyway when turning, why not just bind a key to keyboard?

Rolling Scissors fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 3, 2013

hreple
Feb 11, 2006
hardly
So what is the prefered / best / whatever kb / mouse setup at the moment?

I'm doing roll and pitch on my mouse with yaw on a/d and pitch on shift and ctrl as well because I'm used to that from War Thunder.

The whole problem is basically that where War Thunder does BOTH roll and yaw on the mouse, BF4 does one, and I can't seem to be comfortable with either. I think roll is best on the mouse, but it still feels horrible compared to my baby War Thunder.

Is there something control-wise I'm missing? Something I should change to make it better? Or just suck up and practice?

CombatBonta-kun
Sep 22, 2003
Ehhhh?

Mister Fister posted:

It has to make it easier

I've been hearing that the XBox 360 controller is pretty good. I just want to know if it can be set up so only air vehicles use it and it doesn't change anything for infantry or ground vehicles.

I've been looking at a XBox 360 controller since I got Sleeping Dogs, so this would just make it a no-brainer for me.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I have a feeling that unlocking this splodeyplane is going to be a huge pain in the bollocks..

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

CombatBonta-kun posted:

I've been hearing that the XBox 360 controller is pretty good. I just want to know if it can be set up so only air vehicles use it and it doesn't change anything for infantry or ground vehicles.

I've been looking at a XBox 360 controller since I got Sleeping Dogs, so this would just make it a no-brainer for me.

That's how it works by default.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Spuckuk posted:

I have a feeling that unlocking this splodeyplane is going to be a huge pain in the bollocks..

I'm with you there.
15 jet fighter kills... And win a round of this airplane mode is that what Air Sup is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I think the problem I have with flying in BF4 is that it's way too easy to drive your helicopter into the ground during a high speed turn if you're not too careful. You lose all lift. I was a pretty decent pilot in BF3 though.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 3, 2013

• Locked thread