Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

TheEye posted:

Wow. Tried to get this, but it's in-store pickup only and it's unavailable at every single one.

Amazon matched it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

irlZaphod posted:

I'm near the end of Normal mode, I've only died once, to the boss in the Thieves Hideout, and that was kinda carelessness. I'm not a brilliant Zelda player though, I generally die a few times. Hero Mode would murder me, I'd imagine. It's a fantastic game, though.

What's worse is I hear that the ending is different for Hero Mode. So of course, I have to see it for myself.

Yes, I know I could probably see it on Youtube, but that would take the fun out of it.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Please, please stop. Stop saying Cave Story is a metroidvania. It's an old-school 2D shootman in the vein of things like Contra. It has a continuous world, health and weapon upgrades, and :siren: A STORY :siren:, but that's about all the differences from your standard run-to-the-right-(sometimes-left-)and-shoot-things. There is no exploration and no accessing new areas through upgrades, you go where the game tells you to go. drat good game, though.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Psyker posted:

Amazon matched it.

Oh? You emailed them and asked for a price match?

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!

TheEye posted:

Oh? You emailed them and asked for a price match?

Er, no, Mario 64 DS is listed at the same price.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Psyker posted:

Er, no, Mario 64 DS is listed at the same price.

Ah, sorry, I was posting about Fire Emblem. I submitted the price to Amazon so maybe they'll end up matching it too.

Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

The Machine posted:

I thought Awakening had some pretty terrible 3D, especially for a Nintendo title. And yeah, the feetless 3D dudes in battles and cutscenes look bad. Good thing the game is fantastic anyway!

Their feet going into the ground, other than that yeah it's a pretty good game.

Steinuh fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Dec 3, 2013

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Steinuh posted:

Well I was able to snag the last one at Best Buy so I'll soon find out. I couldn't pass up $15. Seems like a really random sale, so I appreciate you guys keeping on top of discounts. Thanks!

Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

Make sure you play with Classic mode turned on to get the real Fire Emblem frustrations.

bacalou
Mar 21, 2013

Amppelix posted:

Please, please stop. Stop saying Cave Story is a metroidvania. It's an old-school 2D shootman in the vein of things like Contra. It has a continuous world, health and weapon upgrades, and :siren: A STORY :siren:, but that's about all the differences from your standard run-to-the-right-(sometimes-left-)and-shoot-things. There is no exploration and no accessing new areas through upgrades, you go where the game tells you to go. drat good game, though.

Cave Story definitely has Metroidvania concepts, including ones you have claimed it does not. Granted, most of the game is fairly linear, but side-quests encourage active exploration and require upgrades like the Booster 2.0 and Rebreather. Hell, Metroid Fusion has a nearly identical map system involving one hub transport and several small interconnected passages.

Sorry if that was a little too :goonsay:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Steinuh posted:

This is like the weirdest thing people have a problem with. It's also not true, their feet do not go into the ground, they simply don't have feet (sort of). They made it that way so that combat animations would flow smoother and there'd be less lag, and also to emphasize the actually important things (weapons, head and body). They could have made the models more real and still make it work, but they underestimated how much power the 3DS had.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
I didn't even notice the feet thing until well over halfway into the game, and when I did my reaction was "Huh, that's an interesting choice." and then I went back to not noticing the feet thing for the rest of the game. How do people get so hung up on such a minor detail?

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

The feet thing is a deal-breaker for me. If I'm paying good money for a game, I want the characters to have visible feet. That's just me though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Quentin Tarantino and Joss Whedon loving hate this game.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

greatn posted:

Quentin Tarantino and Joss Whedon loving hate this game.

Good. gently caress both of them.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

bacalou posted:

Cave Story definitely has Metroidvania concepts, including ones you have claimed it does not. Granted, most of the game is fairly linear, but side-quests encourage active exploration and require upgrades like the Booster 2.0 and Rebreather. Hell, Metroid Fusion has a nearly identical map system involving one hub transport and several small interconnected passages.

Sorry if that was a little too :goonsay:

The definition of Metroidvania can be pretty vague and superficial anyways, sometimes to the point where it's not very useful. When it's reduced down to "backtracking and accessing previously unavailable areas with new powers" it's pretty meaningless, to me at least, because often that's not very fun on it's own and not exclusive to Metroid or Castlevania (Zelda and Mario did this for example). Like, games like Guacamelee and some of the later Zeldas have fractions of heart containers littered around that you go back and get when you finally get an uppercut or bomb or something, but that's not really the basis of a game genre and often not very fun depending on how it's done, since backtracking has a bunch of disadvantages.

I'm not sure if it's my own definition of "Metroidvania" or if I'm intruding with my interpretation that's something else altogether, but the aspect I liked of those games: action games where the player has the agency to explore areas where the player is significantly "out of their depth" but can eventually progress via new powers and player skill to anywhere in the game world. In other words, the part of Metroid I really liked wasn't as much the ability to open various doors with 5 missiles, then 10, then a super missile, then a super bomb, to find little goodies behind, but rather the ability to go to Norfair or Brinstar too early and get rocked but eventually "be at home" in those zones and overcome that mountain. Rogue Legacy feels more like what I liked about Metroid and SoTN than Guacamelee, for example.

I'm not really sure if Cave Story qualifies (hence my original "?"), since I've never played it, and mostly just wanted to sperg out on Metroidvanias for a minute

:goonsay:

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

fozzy fosbourne posted:

The definition of Metroidvania can be pretty vague and superficial anyways, sometimes to the point where
I'm not really sure if Cave Story qualifies (hence my original "?"), since I've never played it, and mostly just wanted to sperg out on Metroidvanias for a minute

It's fun to discuss Metroidvanias, especially now that there's basically bugger-all chance that we'll get a real version of either of the two nowadays. Here's hoping someone else picks up the torch...or, barring that, that someone ports Rogue Legacy to the 3DS :getin:

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.
How's that Batman: Arkham Origins: Blackgate? Isn't that some sort of Metroidvania?

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
It is, yeah. Not a great game, but worth picking up if you can find it for :20bux: or something.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The only deal I've been able to find on Blackgate is the "two-for-$35" deal TRU was doing with it and the new Scribblenauts game.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Blackgate game is legitimately good, I was incredibly surprised, I expected a weak cash-in but its really loving good, better than the console version I feel.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

The definition of Metroidvania can be pretty vague and superficial anyways, sometimes to the point where it's not very useful. When it's reduced down to "backtracking and accessing previously unavailable areas with new powers" it's pretty meaningless, to me at least, because often that's not very fun on it's own and not exclusive to Metroid or Castlevania (Zelda and Mario did this for example). Like, games like Guacamelee and some of the later Zeldas have fractions of heart containers littered around that you go back and get when you finally get an uppercut or bomb or something, but that's not really the basis of a game genre and often not very fun depending on how it's done, since backtracking has a bunch of disadvantages.

I'm not sure if it's my own definition of "Metroidvania" or if I'm intruding with my interpretation that's something else altogether, but the aspect I liked of those games: action games where the player has the agency to explore areas where the player is significantly "out of their depth" but can eventually progress via new powers and player skill to anywhere in the game world. In other words, the part of Metroid I really liked wasn't as much the ability to open various doors with 5 missiles, then 10, then a super missile, then a super bomb, to find little goodies behind, but rather the ability to go to Norfair or Brinstar too early and get rocked but eventually "be at home" in those zones and overcome that mountain. Rogue Legacy feels more like what I liked about Metroid and SoTN than Guacamelee, for example.

Hell, Zelda II qualifies under most of the requirements for a "metroidvania" but I don't know whether that's a positive thing or not.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
The best metroidvania since prime 1 is dark souls :negative:.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

raditts posted:

Hell, Zelda II qualifies under most of the requirements for a "metroidvania" but I don't know whether that's a positive thing or not.

Considering that Zelda II is awesome, I'd say it is. :colbert:

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER
If I've never played Star Fox before should I get the 3ds version? I figured it would be cool to play a game that takes place in space and has lasers and ships with a 3d screen. Or is it better to play the n64 original. How much did they change? They don't make it easier or anything do they?

Steinuh
Nov 17, 2011

It's just updated graphics and gyroscopic controls if you want. The worst thing about it the first time around was the mandatory training when you first boot it up.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

AASman posted:

If I've never played Star Fox before should I get the 3ds version? I figured it would be cool to play a game that takes place in space and has lasers and ships with a 3d screen. Or is it better to play the n64 original. How much did they change? They don't make it easier or anything do they?

They added an optional "3DS Mode" which is tuned for gyro aiming and is a little easier, but the standard modes from the original are also included, and they've added new score attacks for each stages which are a little harder than those from the original.

The only really substantial gameplay difference is the multiplayer mode, which is completely different in the 3DS version. It's still local-only, but you can play with bots.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Pokemon has got to have the shittiest, dumbest, most laziest implementation of streetpass I have ever seen, the wonder house in Gold/Silver was better than this garbage and that was back during the gameboy era.

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Alteisen posted:

Pokemon has got to have the shittiest, dumbest, most laziest implementation of streetpass I have ever seen, the wonder house in Gold/Silver was better than this garbage and that was back during the gameboy era.
It's really weird how Game Freak had better streetpass features on the original DS than most 3DS games, but as soon as they actually make a 3DS game that all goes out the window.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
It could have been great - you select a team of 3 pokemon that gets sent whenever you street pass someone. Then, the AI controls the team so you could fight anyone you street pass. If that was too much data limit it to one pokemon.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Most everything you'd expect to be a Streetpass feature actually happens online, so in that respect they probably made the right decision for everyone who isn't Japanese.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Most everything you'd expect to be a Streetpass feature actually happens online, so in that respect they probably made the right decision for everyone who isn't Japanese.

One pokemile per streetpass is a loving joke.

Or again, something like the wonder house, you go in and fight a trainer you streetpass using his team.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Crimson shroud is freaking awesome. I wish tales was a downloadable game though.

saihate
Oct 16, 2009

ID: ththththt
PASS: hthththth
Does anyone know a good place to buy cheap or used Japanese 3DS's? Amiami is sold out of most of their models. PlayAsia is quite marked up. Also stores that only ship within Japan are fine.

Also does anyone have recommendations for JP games? I bought Project Mirai 2 off a friend. I'm open to anything as long as the Japanese isn't too difficult. (I'm very rusty and not that great in general)

Ausmund
Jan 24, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Steinuh posted:

It's just updated graphics and gyroscopic controls if you want. The worst thing about it the first time around was the mandatory training when you first boot it up.
What are gyroscopic controls?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

It means you aim by physically moving the 3DS around. It sounds dumb, but it worked pretty well for aiming in OOT3D, so it might be alright in Starfox.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

It sucks.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I am convinced it's impossible to use gyroscopic controls and 3d at the same time. It just doesn't work.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Sockser posted:

I am convinced it's impossible to use gyroscopic controls and 3d at the same time. It just doesn't work.

Yeah, this. They work well separately, but together is just a mess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
http://kotaku.com/1980s-luigi-actor-dies-at-72-1475986590

Actor who played Luigi in the live action show has passed away, in the year of Luigi no less.

The universe sure likes its cruel jokes.

• Locked thread