Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The Leper Colon V posted:

Pokemon Spinoffs have always been absurdly well put-together, at least in as far as presentation. I've never seen an ugly Pokemon game.

What about Green? That Mew cracks me up every time I see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

McDragon posted:

Okay, not counting Red and Green.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

McDragon posted:

I dunno, I kinda like most of the old sprites. Obviously not Mew, and just look at that Ekans, man.

...come to think of it, the decision to swap Snivy for Mawile may not have been the best idea after all come to think of it...ah, who am I kidding.

MinistryofLard
Mar 22, 2013

Goblin babies did nothing wrong.

Gen1 Wigglytuff is literally :shepface:

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!
Green Hypno and Drowsee look even more creepy. :stare:

Also Hugh reminds me of one of those people who has a different view about a topic and just cannot see to agree with anyone else, and tends to act like an rear end. Sure their Herdier could have been kidnapped and they did need to be a more worried but he teared into them like a cop telling a juvenile to stop acting like a little poo poo. He obviously has some past issues with Pokemon, but that's no excuse.

In other words, yea gently caress Hugh. There's something he can go do to with himself...

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God
I'm out for the holiday if you haven't noticed. I should have an update let's goooo Tuesday?

Until then maybe watch this video of me and HulkaMatt playing through Jackal (which can be found with other clips from our stream on my Youtube page):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7X2PIqY5zXE

Jeeps are the reason for the season.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Oh, this looks fun! Overall, I liked Black 2 more than Black, though I ended up losing my cartridge. I never actually cared about the plot, though.

I just really, really loved the movies. I hope we get to see 100% of the movies.

Chorocojo
Sep 25, 2005

Legendary Enchantment Creature -- Bird God

#05. Phone Calls and Sunflower Seeds

Music: Aspertia City

the Gym Leader go?"

"I like how she is hugging your arm! C="

Choro Notes: Return gets stronger the more the user is happy, up to a maximum power of 102. At this point in the game Frustration is the better move, what since it is the inverse of Return's damage calculation.

Oh, you know 'im?

in the Xtransceiver!"
Wait, you two are friends and don't have each others' numbers?

Yeah, cool I guess?

Bianca that wasn't really necessary.

Hey, yo since we're all standing here except Prof. Juniper and I can't see faces under the stupid closed captioning, I'm just going to not pay attention to the screen.

: Bianca told me you accepted the Pokédex! Thanks to you, we will all know more about Pokémon and be able to get along with them even better!
: I am only here for the new ones. No more, no less.
: Hi, Professor Juniper! It's really interesting over here! There are sooo many Pokémon we couldn't prove were here two years ago!
: Thank you for going so far for this errand, Bianca. And, Cheren, how are you enjoying being a Gym Leader?
: Professor Juniper, it's been a long time. I'm glad you're doing so well. The Gym Leader position is very tough . . . If I had my usual partners . . .

: Oh, Cheren . . . Having battles that come down to the wire will make you a Gym Leader who deepens the bonds between your challengers and their Pokémon, right?
: Mine is latched into my arm. I'm actually kind of concerned.
: It'll be fine! Cheren's a new Gym Leader, I'm an Assistant Pokémon Professor, and Vinny is a new Trainer, but we always have Pokémon by our sides!
: That's right, Bianca! Our world is a world where we live with Pokémon. Everyone! Keep that in mind as you pursue your dreams with your Pokémon! Particularly you, Vinny! The Pokédex may be important, but . . . First, enjoy your journey with your Pokémon to your heart's content!
: That's the hurdle!

Eh. Seems like a sound broad.

Well th—

Oh no.

DAMMIT HUGH.

DON'T ENCOURAGE HIM.

HE SAID YOU LOOKED STRONG, YOU rear end. HOW IS THAT A WEAK ANSWER?!

. . .

Life is hard for anyone that has to interact with that guy.

Choro Notes: The C-Gear is mostly identical to how it was in Black. A couple games you can do over local wi-fi were added.

Well my mom is forcing me out so I guess I'll go that way.

quote:

Choro Notes: Hey let's look at the Xtransceiver!

They made changes to the Xtransceiver itself, most notable of which is it is now a usable item instead of just being a plot-y thing.

Over the course of the game you'll get additional plot-relevant characters added. The big thing though is you can actually use it to call people. OUTGOING CALLS? YOU KNOW IT!

Cheren continues his role as "the smart one"

Also apparently he is bad at taking photos because I keep getting him when he blinks. Cheren gives generic advice about gameplay as well as will tell you type matchups. His more useful skill, though, is asking him about abilities:

when it's sent out."
He tells you about it with more detail than the in-game menu. BUT, he does something the In-game menu DOESN'T:

of encountering wild Pokémon."
He'll tell you the secret additional FIELD effects of the abilities like Intimidate's encounter rate reduction, Static's attraction of electric-types, CompoundEyes increasing the chance of wild Hold-items, etc. It's GREAT. Good job, Cheren.

Bianca also continues her role as "the cute one."

You can ask her for advice, which tends to just be little things she thinks of in her little C= way.

She's also a mobile friendship checker, instead of having to fly somewhere to find out.

"You know, 'cause she is biting your arm. C="

Surprisingly, this means that Jawnie has a fairly good happiness rating. Like, 150-194 out of 255.

Prof. Juniper does the things Bianca said: She rates your Pokédex completion like she would at a PC. But she also has another ability Bianca mentioned: Show her a Pokémon and she'll tell you a hint on how it evolves:

Riolu evolves from having maximum happiness during the day time so there we go.

As for Jawnie:

~~~

You can also call your mother and she'll give you information about your current location.

FINE, BUT I'M LEAVING TH- Wait I don't want to leave what are you doing. Good try.
Sweet Home - A Medal for those who love their hometown and went home to rest and revisit old memories.

- - -

Good colors, I like the pattern on this thing.

gently caress it, guess we're headed back through Floccesy.

. . . I hate this place. Let's get out of Floccesy.

Music: Bianca's Theme (B2/W2 Ver.)

You're still around?

Whatever.

Wait, why is this an upgrade?

Well yeah! I got that! Why isn't it standard?!

"You might run into a little superstar~ C=<"

Yeah whatever, I guess.

quote:

Choro Notes: Alright, check THIS out!

Bianca added an additional mode down at the bottom left:

Basically, what it does is tells you when you've seen everything there is to see on a route. This is really handy because if you remember, there were some raaare encounters in Black and White. You'll get a Poké Ball stamp once you've seen everything there.

Fishing, Surfing and Grass are all sorted and on different pages so not fishing up a Basculin won't give you a false "You need more from the grass". If you look, We can see that we have not seen all that can be found in Floccesy Ranch's grass yet because there's no stamp. (Both of these monsters are found in rustling grass.)

Seeing an opposing trainer use a monster will also fill in the appropriate spots in the habitat listing. It's SUPER helpful and also just a really cool mechanic in general!

So of course they didn't bring it back in X/Y.

It's getting cold.

Yup, lemme through, fathead.

Choro Notes: This is basically here to show off the Habitat feature; it, along with the kid in the Aspertia Gym are basically the game going "THERE ARE RIOLU IN THE RANCH. YOU LIKE LUCARIO, DO NOT BE UPSET IF YOU DO NOT GET IT LATER."

Cause of your fat head!

The nerve of some people, ya know?

Great, I have to beat up children now, too?

Hey cut that out.

Kinda gives ya a perspective on worldview, don't it?

of sleep if I want to be a big kid!"

Music: Cheren's Theme (B2/W2 Ver.)

Ohhhh, no. Nooooo, no no. I know what you're trying to do here.

"I want you to go into it and just roll around."

"It would be a shame for someone to, you know, go into it and not come out, wouldn't it, Vinny? Huh?"

"You know, good for tearing a face off, right? Vinny? Hmm?"

"Vinny."

"Here you go, Vinny."

He . . . he sure is.

Ignore you and keep going. Got it.

I'm leaving. Go play in the grass.

Hope that solves that.

What th—

Choro Notes: Dunsparce, as an aside, is one of the two shaking grass monsters that appears on both this route and in the Floccesy Ranch.

Choro Notes: Audino is still the other! They're still little bags of EXP!

Choro Notes: Sewaddle also shows up on this route. If you were to catch and use one, by the time it becomes Swadloon it will most likely immediately evolve into Leavanny a turn later as its Happiness should be maxed.

The hell are you?

. . . Kids are weird.

Choro Notes: Intimidate affects both opponents in double battles, but only adjacent opponents in triple battles. This is negligible in this battle because Sunkern has the lowest stat total of any monster.

Ughghhhh can I stop fighting little kids now? I feel like a rat.

Yeah, what of it?

Man, I don't even know what I want anymore.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
You know what you must do. Sunkern/flora as a party regular.

YamiNoSenshi
Jan 19, 2010
Hugh seems a bit... intense. Maybe he should switch to decaf. Or just stop snorting X Speeds.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The Habitat list is greatly missed in X/Y. Especially since there are a crapload of Pokemon just in one route.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Cythereal posted:

You know what you must do. Sunkern/flora as a party regular.

No, Sunkern must prove itself worthy of sprouting. It must first defeat the Elite Four before it can evolve.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Aww, Cheren's so thoughtful! Giving us those delicious hate-berries. :3:

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

SirPhoebos posted:

The Habitat list is greatly missed in X/Y. Especially since there are a crapload of Pokemon just in one route.

Some of which can only be found by hard-to-notice methods. Took me forever to find Skarmory.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Chorocojo posted:

: Thank you for going so far for this errand, Bianca. And, Cheren, how are you enjoying being a Gym Leader?

Looks like she's still got it.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

For the past few years Pokemon has had a bad habit of implementing good (or at least interesting) ideas for a game, promoting the hell out of it, and then dropping it forever. The Habitat List, Cheren, and Bianca are super useful in this game and I love them. Naturally, they did not transfer to X/Y or have any analogues to that game. PokemonAmie? Unless the next games are X2/Y2 I can guarantee you that it won't show up in the next released Pokemon games and the one pokemon that needs it for evolution will just be given a hold item to substitute for it like Feebas was.

Pokemon contests and associated stats, pokemon following behind you out in the field, the pokewalker, customizable Safari Zone, the Dreamworld. I get that there's limited room on the card, but still. Ditch the fluffy stuff liek pokemon following you, but at least keep that stuff like the Habitat List that provides a genuine benefit for us.

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013

Arcade Rabbit posted:

Ditch the fluffy stuff liek pokemon following you,

Why would you even suggest that?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
In the case of cool stuff from BW2, I've always heard that BW2 and XY were developed in parallel by different teams, so features made by one team might not have been known about by the other team. Same with HGSS improving the menus a shitload by making them touch screen-usable, then BW making them worse again before they went back to being touchscreen in XY.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I meant skip the fluff stuff as a worst case scenario. I realize that fitting the whole game plus the accumulation of all material added on over the years may not be possible. Therefore, I'd rather have the things with tangible benefits and then fill in the lines with fluff like Pokemon following behind you. My point is I miss this stuff and am frustrated it keeps getting dropped.

As for games being developed by different teams, that would make sense from a time management perspective. I believe XY were in development since around the time the DS first came out, or something along those lines. So having different games being worked on by different standalone teams would make some sense. That being said, having at least some cooperation between teams would be beneficial for everyone involved. At least, that's how I feel.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Arcade Rabbit posted:

I meant skip the fluff stuff as a worst case scenario. I realize that fitting the whole game plus the accumulation of all material added on over the years may not be possible. Therefore, I'd rather have the things with tangible benefits and then fill in the lines with fluff like Pokemon following behind you. My point is I miss this stuff and am frustrated it keeps getting dropped.

As for games being developed by different teams, that would make sense from a time management perspective. I believe XY were in development since around the time the DS first came out, or something along those lines. So having different games being worked on by different standalone teams would make some sense. That being said, having at least some cooperation between teams would be beneficial for everyone involved. At least, that's how I feel.
If they are happening concurrently, they don't really have any way of knowing which features will be popular.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

As someone who never played Black/White and its sequel, holy poo poo I would kill for that Habitat thing in X.

Sakuramei
Apr 6, 2010

Dreaming away...

Arcade Rabbit posted:

For the past few years Pokemon has had a bad habit of implementing good (or at least interesting) ideas for a game, promoting the hell out of it, and then dropping it forever. The Habitat List, Cheren, and Bianca are super useful in this game and I love them. Naturally, they did not transfer to X/Y or have any analogues to that game. PokemonAmie? Unless the next games are X2/Y2 I can guarantee you that it won't show up in the next released Pokemon games and the one pokemon that needs it for evolution will just be given a hold item to substitute for it like Feebas was.

Pokemon contests and associated stats, pokemon following behind you out in the field, the pokewalker, customizable Safari Zone, the Dreamworld. I get that there's limited room on the card, but still. Ditch the fluffy stuff liek pokemon following you, but at least keep that stuff like the Habitat List that provides a genuine benefit for us.

It makes me so sad that they put so much effort into some features and just drop them. The Secret Hideouts are still some of my favorites and while the Underground in D/P was neat, it wasn't nearly as awesome.

I suppose the "working at the same time" idea makes sense though--but only for more recent games. There's still a lot of older features that were really popular and people would like to see again that were just dropped. I mean, they finally brought back a Pokemon following you with HG/SS and making it more than just a Pikachu...and then they dropped it again X__x

I have to say though, I feel really silly for never knowing about the Habitat feature--I haven't looked in my Pokedex for ages finding there wasn't really anything neat enough to get my attention. That feature probably would've actually made me use it again. I was all excited to check X/Y for it and then was massively disappointed (although, I guess I shouldn't be surprised) reading further down the line that it was removed </3

But yes, poor Cheren. Kind of scared to think how their gym battle may have went. I wonder if Bianca would be able to withstand Hugh's... Hugh-ness.

Sakuramei fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Dec 4, 2013

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
No lie, I renamed him "Huge" in my first play-through. Made the whole thing one long, bizarre, really entertaining Buttlord GT reference.

Amazing what one letter can do to make an annoying character bearable.

Raitzeno
Nov 24, 2007

What? It seemed like
a good idea at the time.

Sakuramei posted:

The Secret Hideouts are still some of my favorites and while the Underground in D/P was neat, it wasn't nearly as awesome.

Wrong. I spent so much loving time in that digging minigame, holy poo poo. I would love to see that return.

Sakuramei
Apr 6, 2010

Dreaming away...

Raitzeno posted:

Wrong. I spent so much loving time in that digging minigame, holy poo poo. I would love to see that return.

The digging aspect was amazing--I just meant as a sequel to secret hideouts, that particular feature seemed like a let-down for me. Even after I got all the rocks gone, the item limit was atrocious (I had like... a few items around the sides and then all this empty space in the center), and the hideouts weren't very...well, different. There was something neat about making a hideout in a tree or by a rock or etc. And these were just all in the same place in the same layout and the only way you could make them "better" was by catching people to get your flag up and remove rocks... and that was mostly for appearances since as I said, you could barely put any items in. At least it felt like I could make a Secret Hideout homely.

But I do agree the digging minigame was a lot of fun as was some of the other features (like playing hide and seek with friends). As I said, my comment was solely focusing on just the secret hideout function of it :P Which in comparison, just didn't seem nearly as awesome to me.

saihate
Oct 16, 2009

ID: ththththt
PASS: hthththth
Cheren's super pale eyelids are freaking me out.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

saihate posted:

Oh god, I thought it was just me. What the gently caress is wrong with him?

Rude Semprini
Jun 4, 2013

Ow. Right in the self esteem.

Look at that smirk. Vinny doesn't believe that for a second. Mostly because Jawnie is still attached to his arm just off screen.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Kinda feeling the Hugh-hate (the Huate?) is getting a little overblown. Yeah he's a douche, but almost every rival in Pokemon is.

If I had to pick a most-hated rival, I'd pick Silver. His utter lack of pattern recognition comes off as really grating. Even after beating him again and again, he acts like he's a hot-shot.

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.

saihate posted:

Yeah the screen shot where his eyes are closed with his mouth open looks like he's wearing girls make-up. And people say Cheren looks more like a man in this game....

Mr Confetti
Feb 1, 2013

RabidWeasel posted:

Oh god, I thought it was just me. What the gently caress is wrong with him?

Eye shadow. Cheren's a beautiful princess.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

SirPhoebos posted:

If I had to pick a most-hated rival, I'd pick Silver. His utter lack of pattern recognition comes off as really grating. Even after beating him again and again, he acts like he's a hot-shot.

I'd associate that more with Blue, who stays arrogantly jerkish even up to being the Champion. After all, we've only beaten him six times before, surely we can't beat him now he's a Champion. :rolleyes: And he still doesn't get it that much even after we kick his rear end.

Silver, meanwhile, is a jerk to begin with, but after getting thrashed by Lance, he really, really questions his way of training and almost doubts his ability to beat you towards the end, even encouraging you to beat the Elite Four when you rematch him. His Golbat even evolves because it loves him! :3: So that makes him my favorite.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Crosspeice posted:

I'd associate that more with Blue, who stays arrogantly jerkish even up to being the Champion. After all, we've only beaten him six times before, surely we can't beat him now he's a Champion. :rolleyes: And he still doesn't get it that much even after we kick his rear end.

Well, in blue's defense, while he does always lose to you, he's always ahead of you in progress. Even down to the gyms where his name is already on the statues the moment you walk in the door.

That sunkern definitely looks like a team material to me though!

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012

saihate posted:

I was fine with it, though it does make him look like a businesswoman. Bianca's eyelids, though, blend in with the rest of her face, which makes it look like her eyes disappeared altogether, especially since her glasses obscure the eyelid line.

H.R. Hufflepuff
Aug 5, 2005
The worst of all worlds

Crosspeice posted:

Silver, meanwhile, is a jerk to begin with, but after getting thrashed by Lance, he really, really questions his way of training and almost doubts his ability to beat you towards the end, even encouraging you to beat the Elite Four when you rematch him. His Golbat even evolves because it loves him! :3: So that makes him my favorite.

On the other hand, Silver's "starter" was straight up stolen from Professor Elm. So, you know, gently caress him forever.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

He tries to return it in Hg/Ss, but Elm notes how close they've become and lets him properly keep it, so that makes up for it... I guess? Eh, Blue gets a little better in Fr/Lg, but still doesn't learn much and even gives up on the Pokedex, which is fair, as completing the Gen 3 dex is pretty time consuming. Guess his attitude's justified since he obtained 40 Pokemon by Vermillon. Somehow.

I always liked Mawile, I thought it had such an awesome design. Would have totally used it in XY if its stone wasn't postgame. Riolu is pretty cool, but when I used a Lucario I thought it was kinda underwhelming, maybe I didn't use it right, but a lot of people making videos of this game used it, since it's found early. Jackals are cool. Sunkern is something I hope is used and would eventually like to use if I had the chance, since the main game lets you use pretty much anything you want fairly easily. It's evolution is usable and during the story, that's all you need.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

H.R. Hufflepuff posted:

On the other hand, Silver's "starter" was straight up stolen from Professor Elm. So, you know, gently caress him forever.

Well, considering who Silver's father is, (Giovanni) that's probably due to how he was raised.
Besides, Elm probably would've just found another kid to give it away to, had he not stolen it.

Crosspeice posted:

His Golbat even evolves because it loves him! :3:

His Totodile/Chickorita/Cyndaquil was probably happier traveling with him than it would've been if it was left in the lab.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Is this a reference to something? I am pretty sure I've seen this text before.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

SirPhoebos posted:

Kinda feeling the Hugh-hate (the Huate?) is getting a little overblown. Yeah he's a douche, but almost every rival in Pokemon is.

Most of the rivals are one-trick ponies. Unfortunately, Hugh's one trick is being very, very screamy and hot-blooded, almost to shounen anime levels. That can get grating to a lot of people, myself included.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

saihate
Oct 16, 2009

ID: ththththt
PASS: hthththth
I like douche Rival characters, it makes it more fun to beat their asses. Hugh, I don't seem him as a douche. He's more like an annoying kid who has no tact, yells too much, and thinks you're his best bud. I don't hate him, but I can understand Vinny's hate for him.

• Locked thread