Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I was there two months ago and didn't see that. Either it finally gave up the ghost or I just missed it. I didn't explore every last nook and cranny but then the Nintendo World Store is hardly a place where things are hidden away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

kannonfodder posted:

Sure Nintendo products are sturdy, that's what happens when you put in the most crude parts available. Yeah, a rock can withstand a nuke, but I still can't have much fun with it.:smug:

As a geologist I am offended by this statement.

Bad photo of a poster board I took in a Canadian Gold Mine

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

Goodpancakes posted:

But the schnozberries!

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Delicious delicious lead :unsmigghh:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

victorious
Jul 2, 2007

As a youth I prayed, "Give me chastity and continence, but not yet."

Tiggum posted:

This came from a university's website. A friend posted it on Facebook.

Huh, that's weird, I just found this on my university's site today:

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009

Goodpancakes posted:

Are you sure that wasn't in a treacle mine?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

kannonfodder posted:

Sure Nintendo products are sturdy, that's what happens when you put in the most crude parts available. Yeah, a rock can withstand a nuke, but I still can't have much fun with it.:smug:

BgRdMchne
Oct 31, 2011

Hydrolith posted:

Are you sure that wasn't in a treacle mine?

Dummy.

Everyone know that treacle is drawn from a well.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

BgRdMchne posted:

Dummy.

Everyone know that treacle is drawn from a well.

WRONG
http://britishfoodhistory.wordpress.com/2012/04/01/the-treacle-mines-of-england/

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

RatHat posted:

That image is made less amusing when you realize that the owner was probably killed.

Nintendo Power had a blurb about it when it happened. The owner sent in the original pictures (complete with damaged but functional screen) and was eventually given a replacement.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
It's also really difficult to destroy a GameCube without eventually causing serious bodily harm.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
You deserve bodily harm for trying to damage a gamecube :colbert:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc
There was another guy whose little brother threw his SNES out the window while he was gone, they found it 5 months later (in the spring, so it had survived snows) and it started right up.

Nintendo hardware, man.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

theflyingorc posted:

There was another guy whose little brother threw his SNES out the window while he was gone, they found it 5 months later (in the spring, so it had survived snows) and it started right up.

Nintendo hardware, man.

I was surprised but a friend dropped a Samsung Galaxy 1 out of a ski lift, it was somehow found 8 months later and still worked after enduring more than 200 inches of snow and the elements.

Captain Trips
May 23, 2013
The sudden reminder that I have no fucking clue what I'm talking about

Georgia Peach posted:

I was surprised but a friend dropped a Samsung Galaxy 1 out of a ski lift, it was somehow found 8 months later and still worked after enduring more than 200 inches of snow and the elements.

This sounds like an ad for Otterbox™ phone cases.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Captain Trips posted:

This sounds like an ad for Otterbox™ phone cases.

Electronics are surprisingly durable as long as you don't let them get turned on while wet. As long as you let it completely dry out before powering it on you can stick a computer motherboard in a dishwasher and it will run just fine afterward as long as the water wasn't hot enough to melt any solder/damage any parts.

AstuteCat
May 4, 2007

Zonekeeper posted:

Electronics are surprisingly durable as long as you don't let them get turned on while wet. As long as you let it completely dry out before powering it on you can stick a computer motherboard in a dishwasher and it will run just fine afterward as long as the water wasn't hot enough to melt any solder/damage any parts.

Probably best to leave it off the spin cycle though.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
I still have my original year one brick gameboy. It is literally half made out of duct tape at this point, and is missing the outer screen. It still runs fine.

Wet Fifty
Dec 6, 2005

Greetings from the inner-
city, high-humidity, ass
and titty bar.

AstuteCat posted:

Probably best to leave it off the spin cycle though.

Not a lot of dishwashers have spin cycles. I would say close to zero.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

An ad I once got on Facebook.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I don't get it :confused:

It seems pretty reasonable to me.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Translating US English to UK English.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Triskelli posted:

They replaced the screen for demonstration purposes. I've seen it at the Nintendo store in New York. The screen had been cracked but the electronics stil worked.

I was under the impression that the screen was original, but they removed the (originally) clear plastic in front of the screen itself, as that was melted and opaque.

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
Man, I remember seeing that gameboy picture in Nintendo Power, like 20 years ago.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Zonekeeper posted:

When I was living in Michigan about 8 years ago my phone fell out of my pocket on the way into my house and sat in a foot of snow before I found it two days later. Took it apart and let it dry out for a day and it worked fine. This was an ancient Verizon flip phone so I dunno if that made a difference or not.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Zonekeeper posted:

I spilled half a bottle of Shiner Bock into my Macbook Pro one night. Spilled right into the keyboard and the cooling vent just above the keyboard. I instantly powered the thing off, took out the battery, and propped it up on the hotel A/C unit overnight to dry out. It worked flawlessly after that, except that the keyboard was sticky.

snortpocket
Apr 27, 2004

Oh... my podcast... it's so good... ungh.... it's the best.... podcast ever.... oh god.... UNNNGGGGGHHHH

Phanatic posted:

except that the keyboard was sticky

Let's face it, that was bound to happen sooner or later anyway

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

snortpocket posted:

Let's face it, that was bound to happen sooner or later anyway

Avatar and post.....something something. Yay joke!

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Ok Fella posted:

Avatar and post.....something something. Yay joke!
Have an out of context comic panel to go with it...

psyopmonkey
Nov 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

:ohdear: Oh no, not Uncle Don...

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

All this talk of indestructible phones/electronics and I'll be damned if my phone doesn't stop working if I even look at it sideways. :colbert:

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

All this talk of indestructible phones/electronics and I'll be damned if my phone doesn't stop working if I even look at it sideways. :colbert:

I dropped my powered up iphone 4 into a toilet I had just pissed into. It immediately powered down when it hit the water. I took off the case washed it off (figured it couldn't get much wetter) and let it sit for a couple of hours and turned it back on. The headphone jack was reading a plug in it so the speakers weren't working but it worked if I plugged it in and then a couple of days later it worked 100% again.

Suck it lovely phone havers.

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

When my android gets wet and registers a headset plugged in, I've found cleaning out the jack with rubbing alcohol and a Q tip and letting it dry usually fixes the problem.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

omnibobb posted:

I dropped my powered up iphone 4 into a toilet I had just pissed into. It immediately powered down when it hit the water. I took off the case washed it off (figured it couldn't get much wetter) and let it sit for a couple of hours and turned it back on. The headphone jack was reading a plug in it so the speakers weren't working but it worked if I plugged it in and then a couple of days later it worked 100% again.

Suck it lovely phone havers.

Sounds to me like your phone is the lovely/pissy one.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Ragequit posted:

Sounds to me like your phone is the lovely/pissy one.

Just pissy. But it's cool cause it's my own piss.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."
Anybody else got any more cool phone drying out stories for the funny pics thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Skrill.exe posted:

Anybody else got any more cool phone drying out stories for the funny pics thread?

No, just the one sorry :(

• Locked thread