Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Manifest Dynasty posted:

Being able to choose two bots is interesting. I hope there are some decent mix-and-match strategies going on there. If there were options to customize the bot's appearance I'd have no question which class I'd be playing.

Well there's six bot types total, apparently, so that'd be fifteen distinct combinations, or twenty-one if they allowed you to double up. Add in a second Engineer using the other stance/role spec and poo poo's gonna escalate even further.

e: gently caress, misread. ZAM article's saying there's only four types, so six (or ten) different combinations. Artillery, Diminsher, Bruiser, Repair.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 4, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herb Stencil
Oct 22, 2012

Bonafide Homosaxual

Pryce posted:

We'll be sure to cover it on the livestream, but in short using a bot replaces the "Summon bot" ability on your bar with a single active ability for that bot (with a long-ish cooldown... maybe 30 seconds). There's also a pet bar which lets you choose aggressive/assist/passive/etc, target a specific dude, tell them to go to a specific location, or come back and follow you.

So yeah, it's somewhere in the middle. It's fairly simple, but you can tell the bots to go somewhere and activate their ability on-demand (so the tank-bot can taunt, or the assault bot can do a big orbital strike, and so on).

Any word on how the medics aren't gonna be super gimped with a major mechanic being stationary in such a mobile game? I don't relish the idea of trying to convince pugs to actually stand in my laser fields...

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...
I'm sure looking forward to micromanaging bots out of telegraphs!

Wait, what am I saying, what I meant is, I hope no-pets is viable for engineers.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you
I definately want to play the Medic not played a healing class since back in WoW and the mechanics of the medic look pretty interesting.

Shocking people with giant electro pads looks fun too

GROVER CURES HOUSE
Aug 26, 2007

Go on...

hampig posted:

I'm sure looking forward to micromanaging bots out of telegraphs!

Wait, what am I saying, what I meant is, I hope no-pets is viable for engineers.

There's a pretty good chance that pets either won't have a hitbox, will move on their own or otherwise make it better than the decade-old WoW-style your-cat-just-got-AoE'd shitfest.

I honestly don't see Carbine fixing this many problems and missing the biggest one with pets.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
They're certainly aware of it, it's just that games keep coming out and pets keep being annoying! I'm just going by this:

quote:

“On the raid and dungeon side of it, as we test these things we’re actually able to prioritize what the (enemy) AOEs target first. In some cases we’ll make it so it doesn’t affect pets as much or as often, to make it so they’re actually useful throughout the fight.”

We learned that Engineer pets will have stances (passive, aggressive, defensive) that allow skilled players to control their movement to an extent in order to position them out of harmful telegraphs.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

There's a pretty good chance that pets either won't have a hitbox, will move on their own or otherwise make it better than the decade-old WoW-style your-cat-just-got-AoE'd shitfest.

I honestly don't see Carbine fixing this many problems and missing the biggest one with pets.

ZAM posted:

While most players who prefer these pet classes love the idea of having these companions aid them in battle, the question that usually comes up in regard to this class archetype also reared its head during the round-table. That question being “How will these pets do in the more difficult encounters in the game?” No one likes a useless pet in the fights that count the most.

Chris chimed in on the question.

“On the raid and dungeon side of it, as we test these things we’re actually able to prioritize what the (enemy) AOEs target first. In some cases we’ll make it so it doesn’t affect pets as much or as often, to make it so they’re actually useful throughout the fight.”

We learned that Engineer pets will have stances (passive, aggressive, defensive) that allow skilled players to control their movement to an extent in order to position them out of harmful telegraphs. Mastery of these different pets will certainly help, as they’ll be used for both the Engineer’s tanking and DPS role.

So it sounds like bosses just won't care about pets in most cases, and if it's unavoidable stance dancing will be made as easy as possible. So just position them on a different attack vector than the rest of the party or in a known dead zone and you'll be fine.

e: Oh goddammit.

hobocrunch
Mar 11, 2008

I'm walkin' here
At the bottom of the Medic site, you can clearly see a Chua using a saw-bone.

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/the-game/classes/medic.php

I was really hoping Chua's would be able to roll Medics, but the available races tool says otherwise...

Manifest Dynasty
Feb 29, 2008
It IS kinda odd that Dominion only has 2 races capable of being Medics, while Exile's get 3. All the other classes so far have an even split. And it definitely seems to fit with their race's fluff. I wonder if Chua Medics were a victim of triage on race/class animations or something.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

bUm posted:

I am kind of curious how gear-dependent the heal/dps vs. tank/dps roles are. I think it's pretty clear they are poking at the holy trinity by making all capable of DPS and one of the essential roles (tank/healing), but I'm curious if they utilize the same stats so you only need a single gear set. I feel many MMOs with hybrids have the hugely tedious task of managing two full sets of gear (especially if you can't have two presets and have to use a third of your bag space carrying around the other set) in order to play optimally in both roles which sends most players into picking one (DPS for a sizable majority, like all other MMOs) and neglecting the other.

I just hope they avoid the pitfall that DCUO is in (the first game that came to mind where every character is explicitly DPS or [Role]) where the community decides that DPS i the thing and you bring only as many tanks/healers/etc along to support them.

Then again DCUO hosed itself by making Controllers glorified 'blue bar healers' and minimizing their CC ability and that had a lot to do with the resulting community mindset.

VVV: I'm not going to derail this thread but it's gone waaay past that point with DCUO.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 4, 2013

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Any group is always going to bring as many DPS as they can. Why make the fight take longer for no reason?

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
I got into the stress test I guess, but I want the full beta. gently caress.

ImsaKidd
Jul 20, 2008

THE PWNER posted:

I got into the stress test I guess, but I want the full beta. gently caress.

I got this as well, but when I applied my key it shows the type as "Beta".

Fingers crossed that it will magically work?

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
No stress test or CB invite.

gently caress.

Hopefully I can nab a friend key during their Saturday thing.

Lavastine
Jul 16, 2007
I got a stress test beta key, but I won't have time to play on those days. Someone enjoy: Edit; taken
Post if you take it so I can edit this out.

Enjoy \/

Lavastine fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Dec 4, 2013

bhaltair
Jan 7, 2008

Lavastine posted:

I got a stress test beta key, but I won't have time to play on those days. Someone enjoy: 38U6-DLC8-R4U9-VVRV-MLCA
Post if you take it so I can edit this out.

I snagged it -- thanks!

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
As far as customization goes, are there any type of body sliders or is every single female race just permanently stuck with a pencil thin waist and huge boobs? :(

hampig
Feb 11, 2004

WarLocke posted:

I just hope they avoid the pitfall that DCUO is in (the first game that came to mind where every character is explicitly DPS or [Role]) where the community decides that DPS i the thing and you bring only as many tanks/healers/etc along to support them.

This is what happens even in games that have classes that can only heal or tank, why would you think this would be any different?

VoidTek
Jul 30, 2002

HAPPYELF WAS RIGHT

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

As far as customization goes, are there any type of body sliders or is every single female race just permanently stuck with a pencil thin waist and huge boobs? :(

Has that ever not been the case in any game with customization, even with sliders? Right now there's only sliders for the face anyway, no height/weight/boob sliders so far and I haven't seen any official discussion of their possible addition.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

QUEEN CAUCUS posted:

Yeah, this is one of my biggest issues. I like the game and the art style but all of the women have waists thinner than their heads plus huge breasts and butts. It looks really silly, especially on the machine people and the Granok.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Stress test better than no test!

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Alright what the hell Gmail. An invite for the stress test this weekend showed up on my phone but when I checked on my PC it wasn't there. I finally found the mail in the "promotions" tab and lo and behold, about half a page down is another email from November with 3 real beta keys. Why does Gmail do this?

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Demiurge4 posted:

Alright what the hell Gmail. An invite for the stress test this weekend showed up on my phone but when I checked on my PC it wasn't there. I finally found the mail in the "promotions" tab and lo and behold, about half a page down is another email from November with 3 real beta keys. Why does Gmail do this?

You can turn the tabs off. I don't regularly use my Gmail, but it seems like a nice feature.

That seems like a flaw in their system to be giving people Stress Test keys if they're already members of the CBT.

If you aren't planning to use them all with friends, you should actually use the PGS thread set up for key begging to distribute them.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

bUm posted:

You can turn the tabs off. I don't regularly use my Gmail, but it seems like a nice feature.

That seems like a flaw in their system to be giving people Stress Test keys if they're already members of the CBT.

If you aren't planning to use them all with friends, you should actually use the PGS thread set up for key begging to distribute them.

I have two friends I'll be playing with :)

But I'll throw the stress test key in here, first come first serve. Remember it's only valid for this weekend.

Edit. Aaand it's gone.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 12:12 on Dec 4, 2013

Zorego
Dec 3, 2013
Grabbed it, Thanks for posting it.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Zorego posted:

Grabbed it, Thanks for posting it.

ACK! I tried.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Vanderdeath posted:

Yeah, this is one of my biggest issues. I like the game and the art style but all of the women have waists thinner than their heads plus huge breasts and butts. It looks really silly, especially on the machine people and the Granok.

I get that they're going for a pulpy comic look, but it is kind of jarring how wasp-waisted many of the female models are. If anything those kinds of proportions make more sense on machines (no organs) and the Granok are pretty solidly built overall. Humans and Aurin, however, look like they're wearing xtreme space corsets 24/7. I suspect it's a little late in the game to do much about that.

One thing they might do to cut down on the females' perceived disproportion is shorten their arms, because right now they're a full hand-length too long compared to the male models. If there's not an animation-related reason for this, it should be tweaked, because it looks more silly than stylistic.

That's kind of my only complaint about Wildstar's aesthetic, which is saying something. I'd be curious to hear the official position on the subject, though. A lot of women play MMOs who probably won't be thrilled about being limited to that build, and more than a few men will feel the same.

Gerudo Rivera fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Dec 4, 2013

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I can't help but feel that some of you might be very disappointed once you actually get into the beta. The hype machine is really strong in this thread. To temper your expectations you should basically think you're going in to play WOW 2.0 beta. This is a REAL beta and not some PR demo thing.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Stanley Pain posted:

I can't help but feel that some of you might be very disappointed once you actually get into the beta. The hype machine is really strong in this thread. To temper your expectations you should basically think you're going in to play WOW 2.0 beta. This is a REAL beta and not some PR demo thing.

I'm a filthy sadist who enjoyed Everquest (for its time) and original WoW, but that sounds pretty fun to me. As long as combat is already as good as it looks, I'm sold.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Oiled and Ready posted:

I'm a filthy sadist who enjoyed Everquest (for its time) and original WoW, but that sounds pretty fun to me. As long as combat is already as good as it looks, I'm sold.

Yeah there's nothing wrong with wanting a refined wow experience. Wow changed the face of MMO development for better and worse. I enjoyed my time in vanilla (quit when I tried out the Burning Crusade Beta).

I'm kinda on the fence about the combat system but it's probably because it needs a lot more refinement. It feels kinda janky to me, and it's trying to be a couple of things at the same time. I've gotten very used to the movement/combat in GW2 and if they can get Wildstar to be as responsive and fluid feeling it'll probably play well enough.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Stanley Pain posted:

We've been telling ourselves this for the past 10 months in this thread yet it hasn't stopped us from :derp:ing after every announcement.

raingwc
Feb 28, 2008

If any kind soul has an extra friend key, I'll totally be your friend if I can have it. I make the best friend, I promise! I'll even bring marshmallows to the hot chocolate.

VoLaTiLe
Oct 21, 2010

He's Behind you

raingwc posted:

If any kind soul has an extra friend key, I'll totally be your friend if I can have it. I make the best friend, I promise! I'll even bring marshmallows to the hot chocolate.

I'll be an even better Friend than Raingwc plus I have a witty british accent!

..can't believe I didnt get into beta this is what I'm reduced to :ughh:

raingwc
Feb 28, 2008

VoLaTiLe posted:

I'll be an even better Friend than Raingwc plus I have a witty british accent!

..can't believe I didnt get into beta this is what I'm reduced to :ughh:

A new wave of beta invites AND a new wave of stress test invites and still no email, there must be just one answer to this. They're keeping me down, the devs are listening indeed, surveillance!

Fight the power!

fake edit: Oh and while you might have a british accent, I'm a handsome Swede, we all know we're all handsome and got pretty women over here and my girlfriend got plenty of friends, HINT HINT.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

raingwc posted:

A new wave of beta invites AND a new wave of stress test invites and still no email, there must be just one answer to this. They're keeping me down, the devs are listening indeed, surveillance!

Fight the power!

You have to be like me and totally forget you applied for this. That's how you get a beta invite.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Doh004 posted:

We've been telling ourselves this for the past 10 months in this thread yet it hasn't stopped us from :derp:ing after every announcement.

I blame their very goood marketing department. Every time I see a devspeak I get a bit excited too. They're really well done.

Phoix
Jul 20, 2006

Stanley Pain posted:

I'm kinda on the fence about the combat system but it's probably because it needs a lot more refinement. It feels kinda janky to me, and it's trying to be a couple of things at the same time. I've gotten very used to the movement/combat in GW2 and if they can get Wildstar to be as responsive and fluid feeling it'll probably play well enough.

I'm the opposite. I tried to go back to GW2 a few weeks ago and I thought it felt awful after playing a lot of Wildstar. That might just be GW2 not having sprint, though. :v:

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Phoix posted:

I'm the opposite. I tried to go back to GW2 a few weeks ago and I thought it felt awful after playing a lot of Wildstar. That might just be GW2 not having sprint, though. :v:

No, but you do have swiftness :q:

I'm just a jaded old MMO player. I feel that the combat in Wildstar could be a lot better (and it'll probably get a lot better). GW2 does fluidity and movement very well (especially now that they've removed a lot of the rooting effects or certain leaps, etc).

If I were to choose buying this game today based on what I've played I'd give it a pass. If the tighten up combat a lot, I might still give it a pass due to the sub (yes I went there). We'll see how it goes, they have a decent enough base built out so far but at the same time I think they're holding onto too many "old school" trains of thought when it comes to MMO development.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Stanley Pain posted:

I'm just a jaded old MMO player. I feel that the combat in Wildstar could be a lot better (and it'll probably get a lot better). GW2 does fluidity and movement very well (especially now that they've removed a lot of the rooting effects or certain leaps, etc).

If I were to choose buying this game today based on what I've played I'd give it a pass. If the tighten up combat a lot, I might still give it a pass due to the sub (yes I went there). We'll see how it goes, they have a decent enough base built out so far but at the same time I think they're holding onto too many "old school" trains of thought when it comes to MMO development.

I agree and feel the same.

I appreciate this game will appeal to a specific audience (whether their glasses are too rose-tinted or not), those longing for a return to raiding days and old school WoW dungeons and attunements and gear grinds, etc etc. I find the combat in GW2 way more fun and enjoyable, and as an old man I think I'll stick with a more casual friendly MMO with no sub fee (yup I went there too).

Pryce is pretty awesome though, don't scare him off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Wait does that mean SFD isn't gonna get into Wildstar now?

• Locked thread