Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asahdeaf
Sep 6, 2010
Psych, is there any specific reason you never buy the climbing gloves? After picking up the game myself during the Steam sale, I've found the climbing gloves to be super useful, especially in games without a jetpack. Do you find accidentally sticking to walls causing death negates its usefulness or is there another reason?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GuavaMoment
Aug 13, 2006

YouTube dude
When you got down to one health, I was thinking that that would have been a great time to show off mummy farming.

Highwang
Nov 7, 2013

No Pineapple?
No Thank You!
Monkeys stealing sticky bombs are the funniest thing ever.

"LAST THING YOU'RE EVER GONNA STEAL, DOUCHEBAG!"

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Highwang posted:

Monkeys stealing sticky bombs are the funniest thing ever.

"LAST THING YOU'RE EVER GONNA STEAL, DOUCHEBAG!"

And then they jump right back on you before it goes off and it immediately becomes not funny. Then funny again for a brief moment. Then depressing.

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 5, 2013

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Nice job Psych. I've only gotten to Hell a couple of times. As for the spinner spiders. They really are the easiest enemy in the game, but their inclusion at least provides some variety to "my skin is crawling" level condition.

Watching you play is interesting, since you move so much faster than me. Really impressive.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

asahdeaf posted:

Psych, is there any specific reason you never buy the climbing gloves?

He would have bought the gloves, but he needed more bombs.

Regarding spiders, I've noticed that the remake jumping spiders seem to be a lot less aggressive than the original ones. Original spiders are basically always in the air and will make huge, fast jumps; seems like the remake spiders pause for a bit after each jump and don't jump as far.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Zain posted:

So the cape that vlad drops is just a normal cape except metal as hell?

It gives you a double jump in addition to the slow fall, but you have to do the second jump before you can glide which can be annoying. It is a much better looking cape, though.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Those succubus are actually a pretty devious trick and attack so fast that you cant react to them if you dont know they're coming. The trick only works once though, which is all it needs to since ive only managed to get into hell once and immediately got knocked into lava by one :argh:

Also watching you stand directly under olmec seems like a bad idea as when I tried that, Olmec glitched and broke through the floor twice without raising up, killing me.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Huzzah! posted:

It gives you a double jump in addition to the slow fall, but you have to do the second jump before you can glide which can be annoying. It is a much better looking cape, though.

Ah, so it's the cape The Kid wears in I Wanna Be The Guy.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all
Actually now that you've jumped through all these hoops. Does that mean Hell is accessible normally or is there still hoop jumping?

Aeros Wilhelm
Sep 2, 2011

Zain posted:

Actually now that you've jumped through all these hoops. Does that mean Hell is accessible normally or is there still hoop jumping?

You think Spelunky is gonna go easy on you? You gotta jump through all those hoops each time you make a hell run and you are going to LIKE it.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

You never know! It could be somewhat nice to you and allow you the opportunity to go in after unlocking stuff.

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
If only Psych didn't squander that parachute when he had plenty of rope.

PrivateEyeball
Nov 7, 2009

L'etoile du Nord

Huzzah! posted:

You know, I've never actually used Vlad's cape (I just grab the amulet and scram), but I believe you can't toggle the glide with it either. So you can jump, jump, glide, stop gliding, and hope you're not going to die (but you will, because Spelunky).

Opposed to the normal cape, where you can toggle your descent speed infinitely. Then you'll still die because you were playing with the cape too much to notice that tiki trap.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Getting to hell has been a brick wall for me recently. I typically get to the city of gold every 20 runs or so, get to Olmec every 30 runs or so, and then die on Olmec regardless of how well I'm loaded out as I inevitably choke.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's kind of a lame thing to do but the Olmec fight is super easy if you just bomb through the floor and lure him into the hole. I wish they'd change his AI so that he'd always be chasing you to make stuff like that more difficult. With the way it is now, he just stays in the same spot until you get close so you can just take your time creating a giant pit.

Help Im Alive fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Dec 5, 2013

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

PrivateEyeball posted:

You know, I've never actually used Vlad's cape (I just grab the amulet and scram), but I believe you can't toggle the glide with it either. So you can jump, jump, glide, stop gliding, and hope you're not going to die (but you will, because Spelunky).

Opposed to the normal cape, where you can toggle your descent speed infinitely. Then you'll still die because you were playing with the cape too much to notice that tiki trap.

That seems weird though right that Vlad's cape would be somewhat worse then the cape other vamps give you?

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
I find it oddly fitting that he died by impalement when fighting Vlad the Impaler.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Help Im Alive posted:

It's kind of a lame thing to do but the Olmec fight is super easy if you just bomb through the floor and lure him into the hole. I wish they'd change his AI so that he'd always be chasing you to make stuff like that more difficult. With the way it is now, he just stays in the same spot until you get close so you can just take your time creating a giant pit.

This is usually what I do. One time I was at Olmec with the necronomicon, a jetpack, eight health and 40 bombs and then panicked and got squished after clearing out the top treasure area.

Psychedelic Eyeball
Jan 10, 2006

Like it or not, we will build you a new civilization.

Zain posted:

That seems weird though right that Vlad's cape would be somewhat worse then the cape other vamps give you?
Well, it isn't worse if you consider looks to be the one aspect of an item that matters. It really looks snazzy!

However, I hardly see why one would prefer Vlad's cape over the regular cape. I'll showcase Vlad's cape in a playthrough where we will stay alive in Hell for more than 30 seconds and show how crippling it is compared to the vanilla cape.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Hey Psych, you said at the start of the update you used up all the characters to show off, but you still haven't used the Green suit lady, which is one of the four default characters.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Psychedelic Eyeball posted:

Well, it isn't worse if you consider looks to be the one aspect of an item that matters. It really looks snazzy!

If Highschool taught us anything it is that looks matter above all.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Rirse posted:

Hey Psych, you said at the start of the update you used up all the characters to show off, but you still haven't used the Green suit lady, which is one of the four default characters.

HER NAME is Lizzie Borden :colbert:

I'm not sure how my friends and I started calling her that, but it stuck after the nth shopkeeper kill.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Psychedelic Eyeball posted:

However, I hardly see why one would prefer Vlad's cape over the regular cape. I'll showcase Vlad's cape in a playthrough where we will stay alive in Hell for more than 30 seconds and show how crippling it is compared to the vanilla cape.

Vlad's cape would be okay for people who hadn't found a cape or jetpack prior to hell if there weren't four or five other vampires in the tower with him. Since you're guaranteed to find a normal cape in there, there's pretty much no reason to get Vlad's except for journal completion.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I'm watching some of psyches old streams, I think the first one even. Kind of fun to see how far along you've come skillwise! I managed to complete the game for the first time actually today after 40ish hours.

Also gently caress monkeys. :argh:

Moronic Farce
Sep 21, 2008

"Farce... You'll always be the brony of my heart"
Samahiel, August 30 2013

FrickenMoron posted:

Also gently caress monkeys. :argh:

That sure was a turban-lent death! :buddy:

Crap that's meat boy never mind.

Moronic Farce fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 8, 2013

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
I have a similar story. I got to temple in really good shape to get the secret ending. a bit low on items but good on bombs, high on health. I find a new character in the first stage, and let him out, so he starts following me around. I put a bomb on a tiki trap to clear it out so I can go after the crusher behind it. The little bastard picks up the sticky bomb, THROWS IT AT ME, and leaves me unable to do anything other than wait for the bomb to go off and kill me. gently caress you creepy bear hat guy I wish you had stayed in the coffin. I don't usually call bullshit on Spelunky, but holy poo poo when your new character decides to introduce himself by murdering you...

Lutukor
Mar 16, 2010
I generally consider Vlad's cape to be dangerous, somewhat useless and mostly unnecessary, and by the time I get there, I already have something just as efficient, like the plasma launcher. I get the item so rarely that I'm not used to the way it works and end up killing myself on accident with it. Plus, like other people have said, there's other normal capes in that level you can get by killing regular vampires. I only picked up Vlad's cape once to fill out my journal and then never again.

legoman727 posted:

I find a new character in the first stage, and let him out, so he starts following me around. I put a bomb on a tiki trap to clear it out so I can go after the crusher behind it. The little bastard picks up the sticky bomb, THROWS IT AT ME, and leaves me unable to do anything other than wait for the bomb to go off and kill me.
Yeah, the helper AI in this game is very sub-par. The only reason I would ever buy the hired hand is to sacrifice them on a Kali altar. The game is basically telling you to never ever play that character or the game will poop on everything you love.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

legoman727 posted:

I have a similar story. I got to temple in really good shape to get the secret ending. a bit low on items but good on bombs, high on health. I find a new character in the first stage, and let him out, so he starts following me around. I put a bomb on a tiki trap to clear it out so I can go after the crusher behind it. The little bastard picks up the sticky bomb, THROWS IT AT ME, and leaves me unable to do anything other than wait for the bomb to go off and kill me. gently caress you creepy bear hat guy I wish you had stayed in the coffin. I don't usually call bullshit on Spelunky, but holy poo poo when your new character decides to introduce himself by murdering you...

:stare: What kind of programming makes the AI conclude that taking an active sticky bomb and throwing it to you is a helpful thing?

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
The AI likes to pick up everything it can and use it as a weapon. Of course that includes bombs. They also know they explode so they'll throw them away just in time!

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

The AI likes to pick up everything it can and use it as a weapon. Of course that includes bombs. They also know they explode so they'll throw them away just in time!

Are you sure it's not that they just don't want to share it with the player? "Look what I found! It sizzes too isn't that interesting?"

Skyridge
Jan 1, 2011

There's a reason they were in that coffin: whoever put them in there was trying to protect all the saps like yourself. And you just HAD to let them out.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

FrickenMoron posted:

I think this is pretty much it. The AI is very likely to pick up things if it doesn't have anything in it's hands. It doesn't realize it's a bomb until it picks it up. It knows to throw bombs before they blow up, but it doesn't care which way it throws it.

Lutukor
Mar 16, 2010
Spelunky hates everything and everyone - The only good AI in the game are the pissed-off shopkeepers that know exactly where to jump and shoot while running a million miles an hour. Of course, the hired hand and unlockable characters have garbage AI. They just twitch around and cause unwanted destruction in your vicinity.

Always the one to take precautions, I figured this might have been enough health to fight Olmec, I guess.

evilspacehopper
Oct 10, 2012

Hinawa remembered in death as she was in life: endlessly eating birds.

Lutukor posted:

Spelunky hates everything and everyone - The only good AI in the game are the pissed-off shopkeepers that know exactly where to jump and shoot while running a million miles an hour. Of course, the hired hand and unlockable characters have garbage AI. They just twitch around and cause unwanted destruction in your vicinity.

Always the one to take precautions, I figured this might have been enough health to fight Olmec, I guess.

So how did this run end? I've learned that no amount of precautions can really be enough.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

evilspacehopper posted:

So how did this run end? I've learned that no amount of precautions can really be enough.

It looks like it ended by him getting stunned by a mummy and then killed by a ghost.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Oh god. I haven't played the HD version much but I guess this means that the hedjet no longer prevents the ghost from appearing.

Steelpudding
Apr 21, 2010

I've got Balls of Steel!

Gothsheep posted:

It looks like it ended by him getting stunned by a mummy and then killed by a ghost.

Actually the mummy drool counts as blood for your kapala.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Steelpudding posted:

Actually the mummy drool counts as blood for your kapala.

That mummy REALLY needs to brush his teeth. Also, is the above really a spoiler considering we've seen both of the things mentioned? I hardly think Psych is waiting to drop that factoid on us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutukor
Mar 16, 2010

Gothsheep posted:

No, that picture was one of my runs from yesterday, and Yang died quite happily of old age with around $800,000. I haven't seen all of Psych's videos yet so I don't know what counts an unwanted spoiler and what doesn't. But since Psych has information on the first post, I'll say that yes, the mummy's vomit fills up your Kapala (extremely quickly too, if you're standing in the right spot) and the Hedjet basically does absolutely nothing except allow you to enter the city of gold in HD Spelunky.

There's a few things in the game that always kill you instantly, maneaters, spikes, the bottom of the ice caves, thwomp traps, the ghost, lava pits, Anubis's scepter blasts, and Olmec, and probably others I'm forgetting. Or getting stuck in a damage-stun-damage-loop, I guess. 65 hp is a hilarious amount of health and by far the most I've ever had in one run.

edit: some more info added

Lutukor fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 9, 2013

• Locked thread