Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Einander posted:

Actually, I wouldn't be too surprised if she wasn't acting. She met Keima at the end of his character development, after he'd captured dozens of girls, matured as a person, and turned his personal drive and incredible competence to something other than video games, largely of his own volition. Keima's come kind of a long way since the start of the series.

So she finally gets to meet her oniichan again, after years and years! ...and he's kind of a shallow, apathetic little shithead. That's gotta be a downer.

Yeah, that seems to be the case and could explain why she has mellowed out on her last appearances, Keima's closer to her beloved oniichan now. That being said, the mental image of Nikaido saying somthing like 'welcome back oniichan' to Keima is hilarious :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
For my own part I think this theory is still a pretty big stretch and am a little surprised y'all are running with it as if it were an actual explicit "reveal".

E: This page (look at the neck) hardly a definitive response since it was so early in the manga and could be handwaved/retconned/ignored, but it may still bear consideration for the current topic.

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 16, 2013

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Nate RFB posted:

For my own part I think this theory is still a pretty big stretch and am a little surprised y'all are running with it as if it were an actual explicit "reveal".

E: This page (look at the neck) hardly a definitive response since it was so early in the manga and could be handwaved/retconned/ignored, but it may still bear consideration for the current topic.

Oh, it's not definite, but Keima realized something. It was a reveal, we're just not sure exactly what was revealed right now. Right before his realization panel, we saw a silhouette of a character with short hair and a collar, and we know it's someone who's always been close to Keima. In that light, who else could it be? I can't think of any other possibilities, and something as big as "this person was Earth Dokuro all along" has to have been foreshadowed. In that light, that means that either 1) the author dropped the ball really, really hard here, or 2) Nikaido = Dokuro.

In that light, I think we can be pretty confident. Not sure, but pretty confident.

Also, if it's true, then:

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That being said, the mental image of Nikaido saying somthing like 'welcome back oniichan' to Keima is hilarious :haw:

And I will be immensely disappointed if this never comes to pass.

I do wonder, though. Does Nikaido even have a buddy collar if this is true? She doesn't exactly need to be encouraged to work for Hell, after all, and it's not like the collar confers any powers to either partner (that we know of). We know she has the choker, but I don't think we've ever seen her neck under it.

Einander fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 16, 2013

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Nate RFB posted:

This can be handwaved by saying Nikaido knows only Keima can see the collar, so she won't need to wear one until they meet, i.e. when she becomes a teacher at Majima High.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Einander posted:

Oh, it's not definite, but Keima realized something. It was a reveal, we're just not sure exactly what was revealed right now.
It felt more to me like when Tenri told Diana "something" about Keima, which wasn't explained until he went back in time. Basically, I think we need more information. I mean I'm not going to rule it out but there are simpler explanations for that character and, at least at this point of time, thematically it doesn't really make sense to me and would feel a bit forced.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

Nate RFB posted:

It felt more to me like when Tenri told Diana "something" about Keima, which wasn't explained until he went back in time. Basically, I think we need more information. I mean I'm not going to rule it out but there are simpler explanations for that character and, at least at this point of time, thematically it doesn't really make sense to me and would feel a bit forced.

Keima is our viewpoint character. Keima is not allowed to figure out big plot twists whose clues we are not privy to. Other characters can realize things, know things we do not, or keep secrets, but any time the long-running protagonist has a big revelation, we should have all the clues already available to us.

If there's other theories, I'd love to hear them. But from a structural, rules of storytelling standpoint, there don't seem to be any other serious possibilities.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Nate RFB posted:

It's probably not that weird because

Page 17: http://www.batoto.net/read/_/206633/the-world-god-only-knows_ch250_by_red-hawk-scans/17

Page 18: http://www.batoto.net/read/_/206633/the-world-god-only-knows_ch250_by_red-hawk-scans/18

She's missing the Collar like a second later. Maybe it's something that can appear and disappear at will.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
To put it another way, it makes some of the stuff with Akari kind of weird. Why does Nikaido apparently need Akari to use her powers? Why is Akari ranked higher? We've learned very little of that relationship anyway, so again it could be a case of just not having enough information yet, but at face value it seems incongruous. I vaguely remember Nikaido mentioning going to college and such as well, when she should have been on the run from vintage this whole time. But then again Dokuro doesn't seem to really "know" the future, hence why she hedges her bets on whether they will meet again or not. There could be some memory manipulation shenanigans going on as well. Certainly an interesting plot thread either way.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Nate RFB posted:

To put it another way, it makes some of the stuff with Akari kind of weird. Why does Nikaido apparently need Akari to use her powers? Why is Akari ranked higher? We've learned very little of that relationship anyway, so again it could be a case of just not having enough information yet, but at face value it seems incongruous. I vaguely remember Nikaido mentioning going to college and such as well, when she should have been on the run from vintage this whole time. But then again Dokuro doesn't seem to really "know" the future, hence why she hedges her bets on whether they will meet again or not. There could be some memory manipulation shenanigans going on as well. Certainly an interesting plot thread either way.

Assuming that Nikaido= Dokuro, She's the trump card for New Hell but also, she doesn't want more unnecessary fighting, therefore she would need to lay low and have a 'normal' life to keep the timeline stable until Keima figures how to take down Vintage without causing another war. Akari's still a wild card here but is pretty obvious that she isn't a normal member of the runaway squad, I bet she's working with Dokuro Skull leaving only the question of if she's aware about Nikaido's true identity.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I've never really assumed that Akari and Nikado even had an ordinary buddy-demon relationship. They seem pretty divorced from the main system.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Yeah It sounds like Akari is the catalyst somehow to allow Nikado to use her powers.

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

Not enough information for that conversation. Too many possibilities. For example: something may happen because of the exposure to the choker and causes her to not be able to use her power without Akari's aid, or Akari can mask her power being used. Also possible is we're wrong and Dokoro is someone else entirely. I'm still of the opinion it's correct we just don't know enough about the years between the two events to know the whole story.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah I'm not buying the Dokurou = Nikaido thing yet. I wouldn't have a problem with it actually being true, because that would mean she shows up more, and I like her character and design, but I need to see something more convincing than the straws people are grasping at. Really the series should involve its adult characters a bit more. Actually gently caress it, give me a spinoff with Keimom, Nikaido, that one male teacher, karate club captain's sister, and Haqua's buddy. They can track down Keidad to punish him for all those illegitimate children he has and sell him yogurt. Honestly, they don't even have to do anything other than just be themselves.

chumbler fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Nov 17, 2013

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I wouldn't say that we're grasping at straws, Wakaki's pretty good to have foreshadowing that we don't catch until dozens of chapters later, just see Chihiro's feelings for Keima, they were seeing us on the face since the beginning.

In any case, is been a while since we got a real discussion here and just for that this chapter was amazing.

buzmeg
Jul 8, 2004
The Megg of Buzz
Well, there's a bit of Chekov's Gun here. There aren't many main characters remaining that haven't been fairly fleshed out.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
New Chapter

The way everything's falling into place is really impressive (even if we'll be seeing some differences on the present at the end of this arc)
Other than that, Keima's a stone cold motherfucker :drat:

And I'll say that the chances for Akari to be Elsie's sister have exponentially grown

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Well, that was mostly a waste of a chapter. I didn't expect them to treat that as some kind of cliffhanger revelation.

zerosix
Jun 22, 2012
As much as I enjoy TWGOK, Ill be glad when we get this whole future/past stuff out of the way or we see what has been happening while Keima's kid self is running around.

Reality is a lovely game, but its a game that Keima set himself up to play.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

zerosix posted:

As much as I enjoy TWGOK, Ill be glad when we get this whole future/past stuff out of the way or we see what has been happening while Keima's kid self is running around.

Reality is a lovely game, but its a game that Keima set himself up to play.

Its the TWGOK equivalent of being stuck on Namek forever.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Glad to see that stuff set up waaaaaaaaay in the beginning about Elsie's sister might finally pay off.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

loving finally we get some Elsister. Only been waiting for the majority of the manga for it!

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And I'll say that the chances for Akari to be Elsie's sister have exponentially grown

But if that's the case, Elsie should have recognised Akari during the "Raw Meat Little Girl" arc.

dipple
Oct 22, 2008

JosephWongKS posted:

But if that's the case, Elsie should have recognised Akari during the "Raw Meat Little Girl" arc.

Elsie never actually saw the girl during that arc.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

dipple posted:

Elsie never actually saw the girl during that arc.

I'll have to go back and read the arc to check myself. But if that is true, then yeah, there must have been a reason Keima operated without Elsie's support during the Akari arc, and Akari being Elsie's sister makes the most sense.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
New Chapter

Now maybe I'm just a simpleton but I really liked this chapter, the interactions between the girls are solid gold and that ending, holy poo poo. :tviv:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Thought this chapter was going to be just a little more character-interaction filler. NOPE also i hope you like the Kool-Aid Man and the other Kool-Aid Man. Go go gadget parallel plot line!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Well I can honestly say I wouldn't seen that coming ever!

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
I like how Keima is so socially stunted, people can't tell when he's the 6-year old version of himself.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Quixzlizx posted:

I like how Keima is so socially stunted, people can't tell when he's the 6-year old version of himself.

The best part was when he went completely serious explaining the difficulties of pulling off a Harem Ending.

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
Sad to see Ayumi drop out of the race and get sucked into the side girl moeblob that Tenri and Luna girl started.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Somehow Shiori thinking that she'd die if Ayumi punched her was the most amusing part of all. That or "Gah! No pictures!"

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I like this Manga. It is a good Manga.
Nice to see Ayumi again.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Chapter 253

Page 9 is a little weird... Is Lune talking to a human with a collar from Satyr? Kaori, perhaps?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Nate RFB posted:

Chapter 253

Page 9 is a little weird... Is Lune talking to a human with a collar from Satyr? Kaori, perhaps?

Going for the context, it seems that it was an error on the art and is just a close-up of Lune talking with Satyr

Nice expository chapter but the obstacles on Keima's plan are kind of stupid.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Actually I think it's just a weird transition (she goes from holding a phone thing to the chocolate) + the chocolate wrapper covering her neck. Also the SEELE monolith seems to just keep on talking to no one in particular in a few of the panels.

sunburnedcrow
Dec 17, 2012
New chapter
Nikaido's real identity is confirmed.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I guess it makes a little more sense if she's "human" now; both in why she needs Akari to use her powers, why Akari outranks her, and why she can be Akari's buddy. In retrospect, there really was no reason she couldn't have been both Akari's human buddy and Dokuro. Not sure why I never considered that angle before.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Called it. :colbert:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Loved the reveal, but this chapter felt like padding :(

Can we just enter the endgame already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
On the other hand, we can look forward to the Runaway Spirit Squad getting their turn to shine again :buddy: If Akari turns out to be Elsie's sister, all the pieces are going to be there to wrap this up.

Looks like Tenri has been keeping up with Dokuro as well over the years, planning this whole thing out step by step. There are probably inconsistencies in earlier chapters but that's still kind of neat.

• Locked thread