Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.
Why do idiot Texans fans think Bridgewater is going to be terrible so the Texans should pick Mettenberger or Murray or McCarron later in the draft to be the QB1? I've thought Bridgewater is a decent enough top QB, way better than Geno Smith, am I wrong?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xeria
Jul 26, 2004

Ruh roh...

b0ng posted:

Why do idiot Texans fans think Bridgewater is going to be terrible so the Texans should pick Mettenberger or Murray or McCarron later in the draft to be the QB1? I've thought Bridgewater is a decent enough top QB, way better than Geno Smith, am I wrong?

I think for most of them it's less that Bridgewater will be terrible and more that Clowney would be too awesome to pass up (and there's no way Bridgewater would still be available by the time they pick again)?

Brannigans Law
Oct 3, 2013

Emanuel Collective posted:

e: and here's probably the best game of his career. He can hit short reads at least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrkYDG0FzIM

Wow from that stat line you would think he threw at least a couple of balls >20 yards downfield.

Maybe it was Miami's DBs or VT WRs or something, but drat.

e: His decision making when scrambling and on read-option runs seemed pretty good though.

Brannigans Law fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 6, 2013

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

xeria posted:

I think for most of them it's less that Bridgewater will be terrible and more that Clowney would be too awesome to pass up (and there's no way Bridgewater would still be available by the time they pick again)?

For me, it's get Clowney because the Texans are NOT a year or a piece away from contending again and need rebuilding once again. Might as well build inside out with a Clowney-Watt core on the defensive line (assuming Watt even wants to stay), go for a later round QB like Boyd, (gulp) Carr, or Fales, and if all else fails put Keenum through Blitz Pickup School and/or draft Mariota or go to free agency next year.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 6, 2013

Disillusionist
Sep 19, 2007

Korranus posted:

For me, it's get Clowney because the Texans are NOT a year or a piece away from contending again and need rebuilding once again. Might as well build inside out with a Clowney-Watt core on the defensive line (assuming Watt even wants to stay), go for a later round QB like Boyd, (gulp) Carr, or Fales, and if all else fails put Keenum through Blitz Pickup School and/or draft Mariota or go to free agency next year.

They are almost the same team that made playoffs runs the past two seasons. They are a qb away from probably being good again. They need to replace a few guys but they don't need to enter rebuilding mode.

They have one of the best defensive players in the league and they got swept by the jaguars. Clowney doesn't make them a playoff team next year if they don't get a qb.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

b0ng posted:

Gonna assume you're talking about non-SA Texans fans, but I just really, really want Clowney on that line with Watt due to BPA.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

I have a question for Texans fans clamoring for Clowney. If you knew you were getting a Stafford-level QB in Bridgewater, would you still feel the same way? Or would you want Bridgewater at that point?

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Sataere posted:

I have a question for Texans fans clamoring for Clowney. If you knew you were getting a Stafford-level QB in Bridgewater, would you still feel the same way? Or would you want Bridgewater at that point?

Talent but inconsistent play? I wouldn't mind, I guess, but maybe not at #1 overall when a guy like Clowney is on the board.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I would take Matthew Stafford over Clowney in a millisecond.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Kirios posted:

I would take Matthew Stafford over Clowney in a millisecond.

Same

b0ng
Jan 16, 2004

Thats a nice Game 7 you have there. Would be a shame if somebody nailed it down.

Sataere posted:

A guy like Stafford who only throws for billions of yards? Yeah I'd take that #1 overall over Clowney.

When I say "idiot" Texans fans, I'm usually talking about the dildos that hang out in newspaper comments or on team boards.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

You take Stafford over Clowney 100 out of 100 times

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I also view Teddy Bridgewater as a Matthew Stafford level of talent so that's why it would be extremely foolish to pass on him and get Clowney.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
IDK, Stafford has a great arm but inconsistent accuracy so directing comparing him with Bridgewater is a bit much. Bridgewater reminds me more of Matt Ryan: accurate at short and intermediate but doesn't have a great deep ball and requires a lot of talent at skill positions; doesn't elevate an offense by himself.

EDIT: For the record I'd be loving ecstatic with Bridgewater, I just really want Clowney on that line.

bhsman fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 6, 2013

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
This line of discussion creates a fun game!

Regular season stats, 2009-2013:

Player A: 7.0 YPA, 6.6 AYPA, 4.5 TD%, 2.9 INT%, 84.2 passer rating
Player B: 7.7 YPA, 7.5 AYPA, 4.3 TD%, 2.4 INT%, 92.2 passer rating

Player A: Matthew Stafford
Player B: Matt Schaub

I've banged this drum a lot before, but Stafford is dramatically overrated as a player because he racks up pretty counting stats from throwing the ball a billion times. In 2012, what is usually considered his worst year to date, he broke Drew Bledsoe's record for pass attempts in a season.

Not to mention that the thought experiment taking a Stafford-level talent at QB first overall (which we have no way of knowing if Bridgewater would be considered, yet) over Clowney presumes a Stafford-level outcome, which is fallacious to say the least.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

I picked Stafford specifically because he is not in that top tier of QB, but he is definitely near the top of the second tier of quarterbacks in the NFL. He can win games, but also has some consistency issues and bad habits. Listening to some of you guys talk about Clowney, it almost seemed like you would pass on Peyton Manning to draft him, which would be ridiculous.

I was just trying to gauge at what the cutoff is for you on a quarterback prospect.

Sataere fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Dec 6, 2013

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

bhsman posted:

IDK, Stafford has a great arm but inconsistent accuracy so directing comparing him with Bridgewater is a bit much. Bridgewater reminds me more of Matt Ryan: accurate at short and intermediate but doesn't have a great deep ball and requires a lot of talent at skill positions; doesn't elevate an offense by himself.

EDIT: For the record I'd be loving ecstatic with Bridgewater, I just really want Clowney on that line.

I'd also take Matt Ryan over Clowney.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Sataere posted:

I was just trying to gauge at what the cutoff is for you on a quarterback prospect.

I guess Andrew Luck or Cam Newton (in terms of a prospect, not how they play now) is what I would judge a #1 overall QB as.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Grozz Nuy posted:

I've banged this drum a lot before, but Stafford is dramatically overrated as a player because he racks up pretty counting stats from throwing the ball a billion times. In 2012, what is usually considered his worst year to date, he broke Drew Bledsoe's record for pass attempts in a season.

Not to mention that the thought experiment taking a Stafford-level talent at QB first overall (which we have no way of knowing if Bridgewater would be considered, yet) over Clowney presumes a Stafford-level outcome, which is fallacious to say the least.

So are you going to tell me Matt Schaub is a better quarterback than Matthew Stafford? Because if so I'm going to laugh at you and discredit your opinion from now on. Go on, please, tell me that.

TBC
Jan 12, 2006

Glazers gonna Glaze
LB Khalil Mack wins Jack Lambert award for best linebacker: http://www.ubbulls.com/sports/fball/2013-14/releases/20131206p3v1d4

First non-BCS player to win the award (of course it was named after a former Kent State alum).

Mack could leap frog Barr as the top LB on the board with a big Senior Bowl and/or combine workout. Mel Kiper now has him as his #5 overall prospect.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Kirios posted:

So are you going to tell me Matt Schaub is a better quarterback than Matthew Stafford? Because if so I'm going to laugh at you and discredit your opinion from now on. Go on, please, tell me that.

Maybe you should step away from the QB insanity-ledge, Mr. "I bought a Keenum avatar at the drop of a hat"

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Kirios posted:

I'd also take Matt Ryan over Clowney.

See, now that's a caliber of player where I would actually start to buy this argument. But again, this presumes both that Bridgewater is a Matt Ryan-level talent and also that this would translate directly into becoming a Matt Ryan-esque player in the NFL, which are both huge logical leaps.

I just think it's funny to see statements like 'Matt Schaub is a bum, what we need is a guy like Stafford!' when with the exception of this year Schaub has been demonstrably better than Stafford for the duration of the latter's career. At Schaub's age I don't entirely dismiss the notion that they should move on from him, but I think there's a lot of underestimation of just how good he was for Houston for several years and that the specific Stafford counterexample is a pretty goofy.

Kirios posted:

Right now, at this moment? Obviously not. Stafford's career track record isn't nearly as good as a lot of casual fans think it is though, and Schaub's is much better. Without the single best WR in the game by leaps and bounds, I might add.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

1. The avatar is fantastic and you shut your mouth bhsman.
2. The avatar + text combo is turning out to be more correct than you and I could have even guessed.
3. Matt Stafford is 25, Schaub is 32 and on the downswing of his career. Grozz Nuy, to pull stats like that without any context behind them, is at the very least being extremely disingenuous.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Kirios posted:

It owns, but you have to admit it was pretty impulsive. :shrug: You've also been the most extreme among Texans posters in wanting a QB, I'm just saying you should be open to the possibility of us not getting one with pick 1-1.

quote:

3. Matt Stafford is 25, Schaub is 32 and on the downswing of his career. Grozz Nuy, to pull stats like that without any context behind them, is at the very least being extremely disingenuous.

How is that disingenuous?

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Do not engage with me

Grozz Nuy posted:

That wasn't the purpose of my question. My question was about expectation and what value you would require to pass on a prospect of Clowney's caliber. It is easy to say that you aren't guaranteed a certain level of production from Bridgewater, but the same holds true of Clowney. When regarding them, their floors and ceilings need to be considered. I was not making a sweeping judgement, proclaiming Bridgewater the next Stafford.

Also, those stats are nice enough in a vacuum, but what were those teams ranks in rushing over that time span? How was their defensive production? How often were they playing from behind? Because it is easy to be an efficient quarterback with the best running game in the NFL. It's a lot harder when you play on the Lions.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Kirios posted:

2. The avatar + text combo is turning out to be more correct than you and I could have even guessed.

Do you think Stafford is going to get much better after his fifth season in the league? I mean, I suppose Tom Brady and Alex Smith did it but in the modern NFL usually by this stage in their careers you pretty much know who guys are.

My point was not that the Texans should hold onto a 32-year-old Schaub, but if they draft Bridgewater over Clowney and he turns out to be a player of roughly the same quality that Stafford has been to date... then they're pretty much back to where they were in 2010 in terms of QB play, if not a little worse.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Player C: 7.2 YPA, 6.5 AYPA, 4.6 TD%, 3.4 INT%, 83.5 QB Rating

Guess I shouldn't want Jay Cutler either :saddowns:

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Intruder posted:

There's no way he leaves Chicago anyway, but that's one where you could make a reasonable argument for team context IMO because Cutler has had garbage blocking and offensive coaching for pretty much his entire time on the Bears.

(I also think TFF overrates Cutler a bit though, for the record)

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

Intruder posted:

I mean to be fair a 30 year old Cutler isn't really a long term solution for the Texans either.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

bhsman posted:

It owns, but you have to admit it was pretty impulsive. :shrug: You've also been the most extreme among Texans posters in wanting a QB, I'm just saying you should be open to the possibility of us not getting one with pick 1-1.

You're correct, I am the most extreme Texans poster that wants a QB. The Colts shouldn't be the only team that gets to a tank a year, draft a top tier QB talent, and then be good right afterwards.

But seriously, it's mostly because I consider Bridgewater to be a great quarterback talent. He's not in the Andrew Luck level, but he compares favorably in physical and mental skillset to just about any other quarterback this decade. You can't expect an Andrew Luck level talent every single year...just be glad we have a quarterback in this draft that is worthy of the #1 pick. I'm sure Chiefs fans would be THRILLED if there was a Bridgewater in last year's draft.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Is he really 30? Ok then, withdrawn

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Kirios posted:

But seriously, it's mostly because I consider Bridgewater to be a great quarterback talent. He's not in the Andrew Luck level, but he compares favorably in physical and mental skillset to just about any other quarterback this decade. You can't expect an Andrew Luck level talent every single year...just be glad we have a quarterback in this draft that is worthy of the #1 pick. I'm sure Chiefs fans would be THRILLED if there was a Bridgewater in last year's draft.

And I like said, I'd love to have Bridgewater but just value Clowney a bit more. It's cool, mang, we just want what's good for the team in different ways. :respek:

DupaDupa
May 21, 2009

I'm Samurai Mike
I stop 'em cold.

Intruder posted:

Is he really 30? Ok then, withdrawn

Cutler's age is pretty much the only thing that makes resigning him come even close to being a question.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kirios posted:

I'm sure Chiefs fans would be THRILLED if there was a Bridgewater in last year's draft.

Chiefs fans would have been excited to get Schaub too (at the time, probably not Schaub now), your team is a mess but goddamn Brady Quinn and Matt Cassel. Parmesan Basil isn't as alone as he should be amongst some fans in still wanting Geno Smith even after seeing what he's done.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Bridgewater has a better arm than people are giving him credit for right now. I've seen him make every required NFL throw, same as I did with Stafford coming out of Georgia.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
I kinda want to see the Texans take a 7th/UDFA flier on Connor Shaw too

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK

Grittybeard posted:

Chiefs fans would have been excited to get Schaub too (at the time, probably not Schaub now), your team is a mess but goddamn Brady Quinn and Matt Cassel. Parmesan Basil isn't as alone as he should be amongst some fans in still wanting Geno Smith even after seeing what he's done.

I just feel sorry for the kid at this point.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Elotana posted:

I kinda want to see the Texans take a 7th/UDFA flier on Connor Shaw too

Same, actually.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
The problem with the whole Clowney/Bridgewater debate is that its taking place in a vaccuum that the draft doesn't take place in. If a team like Houston believes a guy like Bridgewater has, say, a 60% chance of reaching a Matt Ryan/Matthew Stafford level, and no other quarterback in the draft comes close, then you probably take Bridgewater. But if someone like, say, AJ McCarron has a 40% chance of being a Matt Ryan-level quarterback, your best bet is taking the surefire talent in Clowney and rolling the dice with McCarron

Brannigans Law posted:

Wow from that stat line you would think he threw at least a couple of balls >20 yards downfield.

Maybe it was Miami's DBs or VT WRs or something, but drat.

e: His decision making when scrambling and on read-option runs seemed pretty good though.

Unfortunately, his decision making in the pocket is jaw-droppingly bad. I'm talking "throw into quadruple coverage with regularity" bad. There IS talent there, but I wouldn't want him anywhere near an NFL field for a couple years.

Emanuel Collective fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlipUp
Sep 30, 2006

stayin c o o l
Not to mention Case is a servicable starter for a season or two, you could sit a project QB for a couple seasons behind him.

• Locked thread